PDA

View Full Version : Blue Abalone Snare Drum

Derek Wolfford
09-20-2016, 03:38 PM
This 14x6.5 Music City Custom Snare Drum will be leaving our Custom Shop today!

#418 Blue Abalone
Reference shell specs
20-ply (14 Maple + 6 birch)

AL PERCIVAL
09-20-2016, 03:41 PM
gorgeous!!!

Eric
09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Beautiful looking drum.

rollracer
09-20-2016, 06:30 PM
beautyfull hand crafting . looks so well made, and the ref hardware is bullit proof loll.

dale w miller
09-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Cool. Glad to see this idea getting off the ground for you all. Have the amount of orders on pace with your expectations?

Mike Foreman
09-20-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm sure this information is posted somewhere, but I haven't noticed it and you know, I'm lazy so I'll just ask here. Are you able to order a Reference shell with Reference Pure hardware, or vice versa? How about (for example) the tube lugs with die cast hoops? Basically, can you mix & match features of the Reference & Reference Pure lines?

Josh Conover
09-21-2016, 01:43 AM
I'm sure this information is posted somewhere, but I haven't noticed it and you know, I'm lazy so I'll just ask here. Are you able to order a Reference shell with Reference Pure hardware, or vice versa? How about (for example) the tube lugs with die cast hoops? Basically, can you mix & match features of the Reference & Reference Pure lines?

Curious about the same thing. I'd like the Pure tubes with Mastercast hoops for sure.

Good looking snare!

MattKeaton
09-21-2016, 02:06 AM
I believe it's called a Masterworks...

KickassDrummer
09-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Really dig the Blue Abalone finish.

Derek Wolfford
09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Cool. Glad to see this idea getting off the ground for you all. Have the amount of orders on pace with your expectations?

Because production stays consistently busy with Music City Custom, we're already making enhancements in the line.

Derek Wolfford
09-21-2016, 09:02 AM

Although it isn't in the copy... let's just say 'it's been done already' so make sure to mention that when speaking to your Authorized Pearl Dealer.

UPDATE: The mixing option had been done for a few artist kits at beginning of the Music City Custom program but is no longer available to artists or the public.

dale w miller
09-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Because production stays consistently busy with Music City Custom, we're already making enhancements in the line.

Congrats and thanks for creating assembling jobs here in the US.

Mike Foreman
09-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Although it isn't in the copy... let's just say 'it's been done already' so make sure to mention that when speaking to your Authorized Pearl Dealer.

Thanks for the answer & I must say I am pleasantly surprised. This news may help you sell a few more kits.

croomz
09-21-2016, 01:44 PM
I love this finish!

MattKeaton
09-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Pardon my ignorance but how is that finish actually achieved? It is extraordinary and it's not a wrap right?

steadypocket
09-21-2016, 02:58 PM
What a spectacular finish! I'm not personally a fan of the 20-ply shell as it's too stiff for my tastes (owned one, a couple actually) but that finish. Wow! I'm a big fan of Reference Pure drums. Whoever came up with the Music City Custom concept deserves a promotion.

Derek Wolfford
09-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Pardon my ignorance but how is that finish actually achieved? It is extraordinary and it's not a wrap right?

They are wraps and here's the full list of available finishes to choose from...

Josh Conover
09-21-2016, 05:15 PM
I believe it's called a Masterworks...

The Music City Customs are not Masterworks.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of these yet...

It's cool that Pearl is willing to swap hardware on these drums. That makes me want to order a snare for sure!

Josh Conover
09-21-2016, 05:21 PM
What I don't see on the Pearl website is info on the Reference Pure snare shell configuration. Are these 20ply as well? I'd be more interested in a thin ply 14"x6.5" snare with the Pure lugs but Mastercast hoops!

MattKeaton
09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
The Music City Customs are not Masterworks. I'm surprised you haven't heard of these yet... It's cool that Pearl is willing to swap hardware on these drums. That makes me want to order a snare for sure!

Sorry for misunderstanding. I was meaning that customising Reference drums is achievable by purchasing a Masterworks.

MattKeaton
09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
They are wraps and here's the full list of available finishes to choose from...

Thanks for that! It's still pretty glorious!

Josh Conover
09-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Sorry for misunderstanding. I was meaning that customising Reference drums is achievable by purchasing a Masterworks.

True that.

Though the draw of the Music City Customs, IMHO, is the 14 (Business) day turnaround. The fact that Pearl is willing to swap hardware is awesome news.

Normally it'd be difficult to get Pearl to put different rims on a stock kit but since they are assembled right here in the States it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Mike Foreman
09-21-2016, 09:51 PM
What I don't see on the Pearl website is info on the Reference Pure snare shell configuration. Are these 20ply as well? I'd be more interested in a thin ply 14"x6.5" snare with the Pure lugs but Mastercast hoops!

This is from the Pearl website & it sounds like one of these is exactly what you are looking for:

2 inner plies of Birch are united with 4 outer thin plies of Maple to create an incredibly resonant shell. The 45 degree bearing edge brings all 6 thin plies to the party in a highly focused sweet spot.

Ron Gerber
09-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Gorgeous wrap!

If I were to order a Music City Custom kit it would have to be Reference Pure but I can't decide on one color so a subtle jellybean might work:

20x16 kick in #449 Classic Silver Sparkle
12x8 rack tom in #427 Bright Champagne Sparkle
14x12 floor tom with legs in #423 Vintage Gold Sparkle
14x6.5 Ref Pure snare wrapped in #407 Red Glass

A one color kit? That configuration in #414 Ice Blue Oyster might also fry my cookies.

Josh Conover
09-22-2016, 01:25 AM
This is from the Pearl website & it sounds like one of these is exactly what you are looking for: 2 inner plies of Birch are united with 4 outer thin plies of Maple to create an incredibly resonant shell. The 45 degree bearing edge brings all 6 thin plies to the party in a highly focused sweet spot.

Thanks dude! Why couldn't I find this info?(!)

Gorgeous wrap! If I were to order a Music City Custom kit it would have to be Reference Pure but I can't decide on one color so a subtle jellybean might work: 20x16 kick in #449 Classic Silver Sparkle 12x8 rack tom in #427 Bright Champagne Sparkle 14x12 floor tom with legs in #423 Vintage Gold Sparkle 14x6.5 Ref Pure snare wrapped in #407 Red Glass A one color kit? That configuration in #414 Ice Blue Oyster might also fry my cookies.

Love those sizes! I'd have to go one solid color... 'cept for the snare! I'm a big fan of contrast as far as that aesthetic goes.

Fuller89
09-22-2016, 05:31 AM
That thing looks incredible!... not sure how I'd like a 20 ply, but still!

AL PERCIVAL
09-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Gorgeous wrap!

If I were to order a Music City Custom kit it would have to be Reference Pure but I can't decide on one color so a subtle jellybean might work:

20x16 kick in #449 Classic Silver Sparkle
12x8 rack tom in #427 Bright Champagne Sparkle
14x12 floor tom with legs in #423 Vintage Gold Sparkle
14x6.5 Ref Pure snare wrapped in #407 Red Glass

A one color kit? That configuration in #414 Ice Blue Oyster might also fry my cookies.

vintage gold sparkle is my favorite - classic and timeless

Feenix
09-22-2016, 09:08 AM
Pretty cool Pearl, pretty cool.

I think I like the Turquoise Glass. Maybe in 12x8, 16x14, and 24x16.

AL PERCIVAL
09-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Pretty cool Pearl, pretty cool.

I think I like the Turquoise Glass. Maybe in 12x8, 16x14, and 24x16.

Beautiful finish!

Feenix
09-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Dang, Al. You're making it hard to reason out of it...

;)

AL PERCIVAL
09-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Dang, Al. You're making it hard to reason out of it...

;)

.............. that's my job! :D :D :D

Ron Gerber
09-22-2016, 01:20 PM
vintage gold sparkle is my favorite - classic and timeless

Saw this at Fork's day before yesterday.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/rongerber/Pearl%20Reference%20Pure%20Vintage%20Gold%20Sparkl e_zpsskzih4eb.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/rongerber/media/Pearl%20Reference%20Pure%20Vintage%20Gold%20Sparkl e_zpsskzih4eb.jpg.html)

Even as a kid seeing a gold sparkle kit would stop me in my tracks.

Derek Wolfford
09-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks dude! Why couldn't I find this info?(!)

Here's the link for the Music City Custom snares with Reference Pure specs:
http://pearldrum.com/products/snares/music-city-custom/mcc-rfp/

...and regular Reference Pure snares http://pearldrum.com/products/snares/reference-pure/

Mike Foreman
09-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Here's the link for the Music City Custom snares with Reference Pure specs:
http://pearldrum.com/products/snares/music-city-custom/mcc-rfp/

...and regular Reference Pure snares http://pearldrum.com/products/snares/reference-pure/

Thanks for posting the links. The specs shown for both versions say Mastercast hoops but the pictures show Fat Tone, which I assume is correct. You might want to fix whichever is a little off.

Josh Conover
09-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks Derek! Looks like I just needed to look under "Snares" instead of "Reference"... lol, duh.

Feenix
09-23-2016, 07:03 AM
.............. that's my job! :D :D :D
Available from Canadian dealers?

14-day turn around time in Canada too?

AL PERCIVAL
09-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Available from Canadian dealers?

14-day turn around time in Canada too?

You can probably order through a U.S. based dealer but I don't think the two week turnaround would apply going to Canada. But you'd still get it fairly quick just can't promise 14 business days because of customs etc...

opus138
09-23-2016, 09:12 AM
This 14x6.5 Music City Custom Snare Drum will be leaving our Custom Shop today!

#418 Blue Abalone
Reference shell specs
20-ply (14 Maple + 6 birch)

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=496991&stc=1&d=1474407377

That really is nice looking - the chrome and that vivid blue go really well together.

Question on the shell you posted: that doesn't look like the usual scarf joint we've come to know from Pearl - has manufacturing changed?

Kevin Packard
10-05-2016, 09:24 AM
That really is nice looking - the chrome and that vivid blue go really well together.

Question on the shell you posted: that doesn't look like the usual scarf joint we've come to know from Pearl - has manufacturing changed?

Pearl’s Superior Shell Technology system and proprietary overlapping scarf joints are a unique part of what gives Pearl drums their unique tonal properties. Though the butt-seam you saw in the center plys of this particular Reference Series 20-ply Maple drum are not commonly found in standard Pearl drums, there are occasions where –specifically in a core ply panel of the 20-ply Maple- a 2-ply panel is configured with a perfectly-matched butt-seam to increase rigidity in the panels surrounding it during the molding process.

This is by no means a defect and adheres to our strict quality guidelines for the SST process for Reference Snare Drums. We hope you will take the opportunity to experience these drums for yourself and thank you for your attention to this matter.

opus138
10-06-2016, 08:57 AM
Pearl’s Superior Shell Technology system and proprietary overlapping scarf joints are a unique part of what gives Pearl drums their unique tonal properties. Though the butt-seam you saw in the center plys of this particular Reference Series 20-ply Maple drum are not commonly found in standard Pearl drums, there are occasions where –specifically in a core ply panel of the 20-ply Maple- a 2-ply panel is configured with a perfectly-matched butt-seam to increase rigidity in the panels surrounding it during the molding process.

This is by no means a defect and adheres to our strict quality guidelines for the SST process for Reference Snare Drums. We hope you will take the opportunity to experience these drums for yourself and thank you for your attention to this matter.

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin - I appreciate it :)