PDA

View Full Version : David Hollywood's Crystal Beat Kit

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Here's my new 12x8, 14x13, 20x16 Crystal Beat with my One-of-a-Kind Masters Snare...

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Different light...

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Floor Tom...

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Rack Tom...

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Side shot...

David Hollywood
07-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Specs on this specific set...

Pearl Crystal Beat
20x16 Bass Drum
12x8 Rack Tom
14x13 Floor Tom

Pearl Masters Premium BRP 14x6.5 Snare in #197 Rhythm Blue w/Black Hardware (1 of 1)

14" Sabian AA Hi-Hats
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
20" Zildjian K Jazz Ride

Roc n Soc Anniversary Throne

Pearl Demon Drive Single Pedal

Pearl S-1000 Snare Stand
Pearl H-2000 H-Hat Stand
Pearl B-1000 Boom Stands (x2)
Pearl ADP-20 Clamp w/Tom Arm

quicksticks
07-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Alex, the kit looks great. I bet it's a lot of fun to play.

rollracer
07-06-2016, 09:59 AM
looks neat . i like the idea of a 20'' BD more and more everyday , it allows more set up options - racks height and with the large array of heads available , you can pretty much extract any sound and feel possible .

i bet this kit sounds great and rumbles like an acrylic kit should .

Bish
07-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Very cool. I like those sizes, as well. Very easy transporting!

Snakes&Arrows
07-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Hard not to like that Alex!
How does she sound?

David Hollywood
07-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Alex, the kit looks great. I bet it's a lot of fun to play.

Thanks! Yeah when I saw and heard the Crystal Beat drums at PASIC in 2014 I knew I wanted to get a set eventually. They are a blast to play!

David Hollywood
07-06-2016, 01:39 PM
looks neat . i like the idea of a 20'' BD more and more everyday , it allows more set up options - racks height and with the large array of heads available , you can pretty much extract any sound and feel possible .

i bet this kit sounds great and rumbles like an acrylic kit should .

I'm used to a 22" but as you said, it's easier to get the toms where you want them with a 20" and it's a smaller drum so it's easier to move around. The bass drum has plenty of volume and depth to the sound, no issues there at all. The kit as a whole has a beautiful low end and plenty of punch.

David Hollywood
07-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Very cool. I like those sizes, as well. Very easy transporting!

Thanks! Yeah and if I add a drum it'll be the 10" tom so again, very small and easy to move around.

David Hollywood
07-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Hard not to like that Alex!
How does she sound?

Thanks! The kit sounds fantastic. The toms are nice and round with lots of low end, even with the smaller sizes. The bass drum has plenty of punch. I've really enjoyed breaking these in the past few days.

therocker
08-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks! The kit sounds fantastic. The toms are nice and round with lots of low end, even with the smaller sizes. The bass drum has plenty of punch. I've really enjoyed breaking these in the past few days.

These were on Pearls Facebook page in case you didn't know. That's where the news broke for me, as I was on PDF hiatus at the time. Congrats to you. What, may I ask, makes your snare a one of a kind? I know it's blue. I know it has black hardware. I know it purdy. What don't I know about it?

David Hollywood
08-03-2016, 11:45 AM
These were on Pearls Facebook page in case you didn't know. That's where the news broke for me, as I was on PDF hiatus at the time. Congrats to you. What, may I ask, makes your snare a one of a kind? I know it's blue. I know it has black hardware. I know it purdy. What don't I know about it?

Yeah I know, we both posted on the picture. I sent you a FB friend request but you ignored me. ;)

In terms of the snare, it's literally the only one they ever made. Rhythm Blue is not a Masters color and has never been put on any Masters drums. They agreed to do it for me for my BRP kit (after 6 months of me badgering them about it) and then agreed in 2012 to make me a matching snare. They had to set up each drum in their system as none had ever been made before. At this point I suppose it's technically possible they've made more for other people but every drum on my BRP kit, including the snare, was the first of its kind.

Feenix
08-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I see a snare drum, some cymbals, and a bunch of floating hardware. Was looking forward to seeing some drums...

That's a slick kit. Same 'colour' as I'd get, to be honest. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

David Hollywood
08-03-2016, 03:57 PM
I see a snare drum, some cymbals, and a bunch of floating hardware. Was looking forward to seeing some drums...

That's a slick kit. Same 'colour' as I'd get, to be honest. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I know right??? :p

It's a great little kit. I can't wait to add the second rack tom and possibly the 16" floor tom. I'm planning to get the free floater snare eventually as well but I have to buy some cases and another cymbal stand and possibly a new crash cymbal first.

The sad part is I moved this kit to my band's practice house in Davenport (since I have 4 kits now and can't store them all at home) so I only got to play it for about a week and now it's an hour and fifteen minutes away and I won't play it again for at least 2 weeks. :(

Eric
08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Sweet little rig my Brother.

David Hollywood
08-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Sweet little rig my Brother.

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to playing it on Saturday when we have our next band practice.

therocker
08-11-2016, 10:47 AM
May I ask where you purchased your CB's . Did you order them and what was the wait time?

David Hollywood
08-11-2016, 11:28 AM
May I ask where you purchased your CB's . Did you order them and what was the wait time?

You know if you want to see them in person I'll be playing them in Davenport on Saturday. :)

I got them at West Music. They were in stock at Pearl so they were ordered on a Monday or Tuesday and arrived that Friday. No wait time at all.

therocker
08-11-2016, 11:46 AM
3hr . 31 min. Drive. That's do-able.

David Hollywood
08-11-2016, 03:11 PM
3hr . 31 min. Drive. That's do-able.

Oh wow, yeah that's a bit of a drive. Why did I think you were in Moline???

therocker
08-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Oh wow, yeah that's a bit of a drive. Why did I think you were in Moline???

Where I live, a 3 hour drive is nothing. Most folks around here commute 1 - 1 1/2 hr. to work. If I did come up, I could crash on your couch! Seriously though, if I did, I could stay in Macomb on the way back. That would cut the trip in half.

David Hollywood
08-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Where I live, a 3 hour drive is nothing. Most folks around here commute 1 - 1 1/2 hr. to work. If I did come up, I could crash on your couch! Seriously though, if I did, I could stay in Macomb on the way back. That would cut the trip in half.

If it was my house you could totally crash on the couch! You would have to come to Cedar Rapids though. The "band house" belongs to the guitar player. You are absolutely welcome to stop by and hang out but I'd have to check with him on crashing on the couch. ;)

Seriously though, I'm in Davenport for practice at least once or twice a month, generally on Saturdays, so if you want to hang out sometime we absolutely can. It would be fun to jam or hang out or get a picture together for the PDF. I've only met a couple other PDF members in the past.

therocker
08-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Hope the gig went well. If I didn't drive such a gas hog I'd probably would've made the trip. I am looking into a used 4 cylinder car. Something that gets more than 13 mpg.

dale w miller
08-14-2016, 04:59 PM
If it wasn't for the snare, I don't think I could find that kit on a dark stage before the show started.

David Hollywood
08-15-2016, 09:31 AM
If it wasn't for the snare, I don't think I could find that kit on a dark stage before the show started.

Yeah once I get the matching snare I'll have to get one of those little flags like they put on the back of scooters. :D:p

David Hollywood
08-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Hope the gig went well. If I didn't drive such a gas hog I'd probably would've made the trip. I am looking into a used 4 cylinder car. Something that gets more than 13 mpg.

Eh, it was just a practice but it did go pretty well. This band has been practicing in Davenport for about 5 years now so I don't think that'll change anytime soon. You are more than welcome to come up sometime if you have a free Saturday.

therocker
08-17-2016, 10:13 PM
GC has a used 10" for $99...but it has black hardware!

David Hollywood
08-18-2016, 08:56 AM
GC has a used 10" for $99...but it has black hardware!

Yeah surprisingly I didn't go with black hardware this time! :p

David Hollywood
02-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Crystal Beat kit on stage for the first time. Using the Chad Smith snare tonight.

PatrickDC
02-03-2017, 09:13 PM
What about durability? As in cracks and separation of hardware from the shell? How about drum tuning and overtones.? Do they have their own sound comparative to wood?

David Hollywood
02-04-2017, 12:55 AM
What about durability? As in cracks and separation of hardware from the shell? How about drum tuning and overtones.? Do they have their own sound comparative to wood?

No issues thus far. They went from a 70 degree room to a 20 degree car and then back to a warmer temperature on stage tonight. I've had them about 7 months now without any problems.

They are very bright and loud and punchy. Great drums for live performances but not as warm as maple.

The Kurgan
02-04-2017, 08:24 AM
What about durability? As in cracks and separation of hardware from the shell? How about drum tuning and overtones.? Do they have their own sound comparative to wood? I have a friend that gigs with a OCPD acrylic kit. They gig out 2 times a month & he has had no problems. Sounds good too.
Looks good Hollywood.

quicksticks
02-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Crystal Beat kit on stage for the first time. Using the Chad Smith snare tonight.

Very nice!

therocker
02-04-2017, 03:50 PM
Dude, I swear I'm gonna make the drive sometime to see the band. Maybe I can sit in! Your in a jazz band right? :D

StickS707
02-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the Crystal Club!

David Hollywood
02-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Dude, I swear I'm gonna make the drive sometime to see the band. Maybe I can sit in! Your in a jazz band right? :D

That would be great! I'll try to give you a heads up the next time we play. I WISH I had a jazz band, that would be fantastic. I can never find anybody to play jazz or any venues that will hire a group like that.

David Hollywood
02-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the Crystal Club!

Thanks! :)

MusicMan
02-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Nice little set up :)

David Hollywood
02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Very nice!

Thanks! Sorry the picture isn't more clear. It was a Battle of the Bands so I didn't have a lot of time to get pictures once it was all set up.

David Hollywood
07-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Recording on the Crystal Beat kit today with the Chad Smith snare...

MusicMan
07-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Recording on the Crystal Beat kit today with the Chad Smith snare...

Cool!

therocker
07-30-2017, 10:17 AM
The Chad Smith snares look a lot like the SSC snares. I'd still like to have a Ruby Red CB kit.

David Hollywood
03-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Did some percussion tracks for the new album. Took a few pictures of the various instruments with my Crystal Beat kit...

David Hollywood
03-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Side shot...

MusicMan
03-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Side shot...

Nice set up!

therocker
06-01-2018, 11:08 PM
I figured Mr.Hollywoods thread could use a bump.

Went to celebrate with my daughter and her Cre for their 22nd Birthday tonight. The place is an open air pavilion and bar and grill.

Acoustic jam inside - electric rock outside.

The bands start loading in and I give it some time. Eventually i can hear, but not see, a drum-set being assembled. I'm like " those toms sound amazing."

A little more time passes and I walk the 50 yrds to get a look at their set-up.

Pearl Crystal Beats. Clear with drum lights. This is the first time I've ever heard CB's live. I was quite impressed. 10" 12" 16" 22"

Looked like a 14" steel snare. It had a nice sound too. I didn't crowd or chat them up, but stuck around at a table until sound check was through and watched the first song.

New Sensation by INXS. There's a song you don't hear covered by a bar band. The drummer goes to crash a cymbal and there's no sound. Seriously, open air, 20 feet away and the only cymbals making any sound are the hats.

I just thought " wow, those must be really $^*+ cymbals!"

After the first song I stroll back to our table, cause that's what I do, then not paying much attention to the band a few songs later, I realize the crash cymbal ARE present and they sound pretty good.

My point, I guess is how crazy venues can be.

This one, as I mentioned was open air, a lot of corrugated steel and bunch of **** on the walls like Fuddruckers...and it's a rhombus!

Come back Alex, we miss you!

David Hollywood
06-12-2018, 11:53 AM
Hey Marty! I'm here! I just haven't been posting much. I haven't had too much to say recently and I was on vacation last week.

In regards to the Crystal Beat kits... yeah they sound amazing live. That's what sold me on them. We were at PASIC a few years back next to the Pearl booth and after listening to people play those toms for a few days and testing the kit a couple times I knew I wanted one. The toms are so punchy and fat sounding and they hold their tone even when the heads aren't that tight. I put some new heads on that kit recently, I have yet to really test them out. I'll report back once I've played on them a bit.