PDA

View Full Version : Reference Pure Pricing Issue - what's up with the 2016 Price List???

JGthatsme
05-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked (I couldn't find anything on the topic) but Is the 2016 price list posted on Pearl’s website correct or is there an updated version available? I’m considering a Reference Pure kit and I see some very odd things with the pricing. For example…

The Reference pure RFP924XEDP shell pack comes with a 22X16 bass drum, 10X7 tom, 12X8 tom, and a 16X16 floor tom. List price for the shell pack is $5,830.

The list price for those individual drums is:
22X16 bass drum - $2,265
10X7 tom - $850
12X8 tom - $880
16X16 FT - $1,265
Total = $5,260

Why would ordering the individual drums be $570 less than the shell pack? Usually there’s a significant saving going with a shell pack instead of the individual drums. Does something come in the shell pack in addition to just the shells??

Another odd example - the Reference Pure RFP923XSP shell pack comes with a 22X16 bass drum, 12X8 tom, and a 16X16 floor tom. List price is $4,166. The only difference I can tell between the RFP924XEDP shell pack and the RFP923XSP shell pack is the 10X7 tom. The 10X7 tom lists for $850 but the difference in list price between the two shell packs is $1,664. I could order the RFP923XSP shell pack and add a 10X7 tom for $850, and it would come to $5,016. I’d have the same setup as the RFP924XEDP shell pack for $814 less.

If I ordered the individual components that come with the RFP923XSP, it would look like:
22X16 bass drum - $2,265
12X8 tom - $880
16X16 FT - $1,265
Total = $4,410

So in this case, the list price for the shell pack is $244 less than ordering the individual drums. I’d expect the shell pack to be at least this much less if not a bit more.

So which prices are right and which prices are wrong in the 2016 Pearl Price List??? I haven't checked any other series so it's possible more than the Reference Pure Series has some issues.

Thank you.

John G

Pearlplayer1990
05-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Those are Pearl's Sugguested Manufacter Pricing A dealer would never charge you that much.....

Today a new 4 piece Reference Pure shell pack is $2,999 sure you could find a dealer who'd sell for less..... IF you order right from Pearl you will pay 5k + for set...

wsgnst
05-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Those are Pearl's Sugguested Manufacter Pricing A dealer would never charge you that much..... Today a new piece Reference Pure shell pack is 2,999 sure you could find a dealer who'd sell for less..... IF you order right from Pearl you will pay 5k for set...

You missed the point he was making.

Generally it is cheaper to purchase a shell pack than to purchase each drum individually.

Pearlplayer1990
05-29-2016, 09:43 PM
No I did not miss that point. It's always going to be more to order componet drums cause your dealing with custom sizes and color + Pearl I don't think mass produces reference an reference pure line drums..

JGthatsme
05-29-2016, 10:25 PM
No I did not miss that point. It's always going to be more to order componet drums cause your dealing with custom sizes and color + Pearl I don't think mass produces reference an reference pure line drums..

Sorry, but you did miss the point. I realize those are list prices and I would never, ever pay anything close to list price. If you have a good relationship with a dealer or if you hunt around enough in the USA you'll find dealers willing to do 50% off list, and sometimes, depending on the dealer's circumstances and Pearl dealer promotions, even better than 50% off list.

The obvious point I was making is that it's usually cheaper to purchase a shell pack than individual drums. The not-so-obvious point I was making was dealers set their price based on list price, so if the list price is out of whack then dealer pricing may be out of whack. And that brings me back to my original question - is the price list on Pearl's website correct or is there an updated version available?

quicksticks
05-30-2016, 07:15 AM
IF you order right from Pearl you will pay 5k + for set...

You are very misinformed. Pearl has a dealer network and you can't order directly from Pearl. Also, you really did miss the OP's point. He was questioning why the sum of the components was less than the kit price.

Stranjluv101
05-30-2016, 08:03 AM
If I could go slightly off topic, why is there a "list" price and a "street" price?

It bothers me that some items fall in this way of selling. Because there are shops will take advantage of those who don't know any better. For example, their was once a music store here that sold their cymbals for list price, NOT the discounted price. Their clientele was mostly churches, schools, and the occasional drummer who didn't know any better. I recall being in there 20 years ago and upon seeing a Zildjian crash with a price tag (showing the "list" price) asking how much it cost - I was politely told that the price marked is the selling price.

At that point I knew they could be bought cheaper elsewhere. But, when I first started playing about a decade earlier, I did NOT, and bought a couple of cymbals in there, and paid list prices.

Oh well, c'est la vie. The owner has since passed away, and the business is long since closed.

But it remains a mystery to me. You wouldn't go to the store and see a list price and then ask what it really costs, would you?

In the same vein, why are some items (like gasoline) priced to the "tenth"? If it says "$2.29 9/10, why don't they just say that it costs $2.30?

drummaman1
05-30-2016, 12:49 PM
The last one is psychological. Even though something is listed as 299.99, for example, is in fact $300 or more with tax depending on where you live, the brain is tricked into thinking the 299 number, thus less, is getting you some kind of deal.

As for list price/street price, that's something that's been happening for decades and damned if I knew how it works. All I know is if you ever pay list or MSRP for any music gear, you've paid waaaay too much.

Big King
05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Do what I did. I got mine used off of eBay, I paid $1600 for a 5 piece shell pack. 22x18 bass, 12" and 13" toms, 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms. If I priced it out retail, it was over $4000. There are some good deals on Reference Pure Kits out there.

Bri6366
06-06-2016, 07:18 PM
If I could go slightly off topic, why is there a "list" price and a "street" price?

Pearl dealers buy the drums at a wholesale price, which is significantly discounted compared to the list price. They sell the drums at a retail price somewhere between the wholesale and list price. There are restrictions on how far below the list price dealers are allowed to advertise in order to be fair to all of the dealers. That is why you will often see "call for best price," especially on the top end lines.

MusicMan
06-07-2016, 05:50 AM
JG,

The $5830 for the larger shell pack is probably a typo. It looks like it should be $5030.

I would just point that out to the dealer if you are interested in getting a quote so they can check on it for you.

MM :)

Drumming-4-Life
06-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Do what I did. I got mine used off of eBay, I paid $1600 for a 5 piece shell pack. 22x18 bass, 12" and 13" toms, 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms. If I priced it out retail, it was over $4000. There are some good deals on Reference Pure Kits out there.

Your RFP kit is really nice too!

MattKeaton
07-18-2016, 02:36 AM
The only thing I could think of is perhaps there is some mounting gear that the individual shells don't come with but the packs do...
Other than that, I can't see any logical explanation and as MM said I guess it's just a case of building a relationship with a dealer to sort it out. Or, if that's not viable or if you need an answer direct from Pearl, prompt in First Aid.