PDA

View Full Version : Tension rods coming lose easily.

Sethiroth
05-24-2016, 08:32 AM
I've been playing my CB's for about 2 months, and one thing I have noticed is my tension rods are coming lose pretty quickly.
I will tune my toms, and by the end of practice, they will be pretty much de-tuned, and in some cases the tension rods will be essentially finger tight.
This is my 3rd kit that I've bought brand new, and never had this problem with my other 2 kits.
Anyone else having this issue?

scooterdavis
05-27-2016, 02:49 AM
No offense, but those crystal beats seem a bit in the cheap side. I don't mean to pick on you specifically, it's just an opinion I've been holding in for some time.

dale w miller
05-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Are they not the same lugs as most Pearl kits?

DeanHartley
05-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Tuner fish lug locks are awesome and would probably have a color to match your kit. I use them on my snare.

dale w miller
05-27-2016, 09:11 AM
There are also those rods called Tightscrew.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=54

ThugsRook
05-27-2016, 09:32 AM
stretch the drumheads before tuning them.

Sethiroth
05-27-2016, 11:52 AM
stretch the drumheads before tuning them.

Yea, it could be the cheap stock heads. I did stretch them a bit, but all my previous kits had higher quality stock heads from the factory.

Raider09
11-21-2016, 07:29 AM
After 6 months of playing my CRB kit, this would be my only complaint. (The drums look and sound fantastic...especially with the Drumlite LED's.) Recently, I noticed my bass drum batter head was slowly turning while we jammed. During a break, I looked down and noticed two of the claws had actually fallen on the floor as they had come so loose. I tightened everything back up, and be the end of jamming they were very loose again....ready to fall off again. I have all stock heads except for the batter head, so this puzzles me. The toms/snare are not nearly as bad as the bass drum (in terms of tension issues,) but I find this very strange.

Raymond Massey
11-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Hi Raider09

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble . We haven't had this to be an issue although sometimes with non-machined rods there can be some variance with the plating factor. Check your inbox for PM
Thank you for playing Pearl!

Stuffed Chimp
11-22-2016, 01:21 AM
After 6 months of playing my CRB kit, this would be my only complaint. (The drums look and sound fantastic...especially with the Drumlite LED's.) Recently, I noticed my bass drum batter head was slowly turning while we jammed. During a break, I looked down and noticed two of the claws had actually fallen on the floor as they had come so loose. I tightened everything back up, and be the end of jamming they were very loose again....ready to fall off again. I have all stock heads except for the batter head, so this puzzles me. The toms/snare are not nearly as bad as the bass drum (in terms of tension issues,) but I find this very strange.

I've got the exact same problem with my mmp. My dealer is sending me new tension rods to see how they help so I'm hopeful this will be solved. It's a BEAUTIFUL kit when tuned up but sometimes as little as 15 minutes of playing gets it out again. I've also had the tension rods fall out on the reso side - it's beyond aggravating but the whole thing sounds so good when it's back in tune that I can't be angry for too long.

On the plus side my tuning speed is going through the roof with the sheer amount of times I have to retune!

StickS707
12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
I've got the same issue...I thought it might be a combination of low tuning and the DrumLites, but I don't have the issue with my other Pearl kits. I've tried tuning higher, but have the same issue. Floor Toms are the worse offenders, in my case. I was contemplating ordering new lugs and tension rods, but it's a 7 pc kit...that's a lot of lugs and tension rods.

MitchLyons
12-04-2016, 04:51 PM
I've got the same issue...I thought it might be a combination of low tuning and the DrumLites, but I don't have the issue with my other Pearl kits. I've tried tuning higher, but have the same issue. Floor Toms are the worse offenders, in my case. I was contemplating ordering new lugs and tension rods, but it's a 7 pc kit...that's a lot of lugs and tension rods.

Get luglocks or tight rods

StickS707
12-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Get luglocks or tight rods

I get it, however, when you pay for a new kit, you should not have to buy extra stuff to make it do what it is supposed to do. If it was used or old, or the tension rods got loose over time (a week...but even that is too much), then yea. But when the tension rods are coming loose completely during a 1 hour set, then there is an issue. Even my '96 Export Select holds it's tuning for over a week (longer, actually).
I'm a Pearl guy...I still own the kits and snares in my sig...and use them...so I know Pearl makes good stuff. I'm just a tad disappointed with the CRB...I thought it was just my kit, but now I know that there is definitely something going on.

StickS707
12-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Also...does anyone have the specs on the tension rods? for the 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, and kick. The snare seems to be okay-ish.

ThugsRook
12-13-2016, 11:35 AM
sounds like the drums were made slightly undersized, and the heads hang over the edge a bit.

StickS707
12-29-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm starting to think that the problem lies with the actual swivel nuts rather than the tension rods

Stuffed Chimp
12-30-2016, 03:45 AM
I'm starting to think that the problem lies with the actual swivel nuts rather than the tension rods

Do tell - what makes you think that? I'm still getting to the bottom of the same issue on my MMP.

Gravengaard
01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
I, unfortunately, have the same problem :-(

Jerry Skiddz
01-08-2017, 11:01 PM
I had the same problem with my CBs. Wouldn't stay in tune for even a whole song. Sold them a while ago.

scooterdavis
01-09-2017, 03:44 AM
Messed with one at a shop for a few minutes; struck me as cheap.

Sethiroth
01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Hi Raider09

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble . We haven't had this to be an issue although sometimes with non-machined rods there can be some variance with the plating factor. Check your inbox for PM
Thank you for playing Pearl!

Never got that PM.

GreenDrummer
01-15-2017, 02:39 PM
Echoing this post. Have had mine for a year and after 10 minutes lugs redo lugs are falling on the floor and batter lugs are finger lose. It is very frustrating. Love the sound and want to record with them. I am open to suggestions as well.

Sethiroth
01-16-2017, 06:22 AM
People are saying that they aren't tuned high enough. Well I crank my 10" tom and it still comes loose pretty quickly. Not as fast as my floor toms, which I keep fairly loose, but still a lot faster then my other drum kits.

Gravengaard
01-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Please Pearl - this seems to be a real problem for what seems to be a lot of people.

Can you look into a solution? I love Pearl and though I'm not expecting Masterworks level of quality, I to at least want the drums to be in tune for longer periods of time.

One of your reps in Scandinavia suggested the Pearl TNK-10N/10, but I don't wanna fork out +10€ for a pack of 10 (with my drumkit is 96 lugs), when this is something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

Thank you :-)

Stuffed Chimp
01-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Please Pearl - this seems to be a real problem for what seems to be a lot of people. Can you look into a solution? I love Pearl and though I'm not expecting Masterworks level of quality, I to at least want the drums to be in tune for longer periods of time. One of your reps in Scandinavia suggested the Pearl TNK-10N/10, but I don't wanna fork out +10€ for a pack of 10 (with my drumkit is 96 lugs), when this is something that shouldn't happen in the first place. Thank you :-)

Well I was expecting masterworks levels of quality on my MMP and instead I got drums that lose their tuning within minutes at times. I did raise this with Pearl Europe who got my dealer onto it and he's still sorting new tension rods for me, but when you fork out literally thousands for a specially ordered, top end, brand new kit it's very, very disheartening to say the least. As much as I love the colour (yellow!) I'm afraid given the endless tuning issues I don't think I'm ever going to love the kit.

StickS707
01-17-2017, 09:40 PM
I really hope Pearl gets a solution for this...I have recommended the kit (and Pearl in general) since I got it. I thought mine was an isolated incident. I've got 4 Pearl kits at all levels from Export to Reference, plus about 10 Pearl snares ranging from the Export to the TriColon, and the only drums with tuning issues (or any issue) are the Crystal Beats. I'd hate to have to start changing from saying "I love Pearl" to "I love Pearl...except the Crystal Beat has some issues."

I'm still wondering if the issue is tension rods or the swivel nuts...I haven't had time to fully investigate.

Gravengaard
01-27-2017, 01:56 AM
Yeah, played my kit now for 2 hours. Had to tune my 12" tom once, my floortom twice and one of the rods on the bassdrum was lying on floor... This is not cool!

I wonder if it's the cheap metal skewer on the tensions rods that causes this? My Masterworks has the plastic skewers and there are no problems with those. I'm gonna take the tension rods from one of my Masterworks toms and put it on the Crystal Beat to see if it'll solve anything.

Sethiroth
01-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Yeah, played my kit now for 2 hours. Had to tune my 12" tom once, my floortom twice and one of the rods on the bassdrum was lying on floor... This is not cool!

I wonder if it's the cheap metal skewer on the tensions rods that causes this? My Masterworks has the plastic skewers and there are no problems with those. I'm gonna take the tension rods from one of my Masterworks toms and put it on the Crystal Beat to see if it'll solve anything.

I would love to read your findings on this! Thanks!

StickS707
02-03-2017, 07:56 PM
So this is a real problem. Today I worked with a national drummer (headlining stadium act) that did a clinic/motivational speech at a high school. I've worked with him on a few of these little engagements for a few years now, but since we have started doing schools and not so much at the music store I used to work at, I use my gear (PA and drums). For the last couple, I have used my Crystal Beat because it has the DrumLites installed and looks really cool...the students dig it. The last time the tension rods backed out on most of the kit, but I figured it was a fluke. So I set up and did a baseline tuning on the kit (after the PA was setup to allow for the temp change) night before. This morning I tuned the kit for the show.

He played 3 songs...when I was breaking down the kit down, all three toms (went with 12, 14, 16), had most of the tension rods backed out...including rods on the reso heads. And when I say backed out, I mean there were some that were at risk of falling out. The only saving grace is that the drums still sounded okay (no weird overtones or "paper" sounding), just dull and thuddy...and not the way they were tuned (mid/low with TONE).

The fact that almost all tension rods came loose makes me think that the swivel nuts are no good. I have a set of Pearl swivel nuts that I'm going to (finally) put on one of the toms I use the most (10 or 14) and see what happens after the gig I have next Saturday. If anyone has any insights prior to that...POST UP!

Gravengaard
02-08-2017, 06:12 AM
So - I tried the rods from my Masterworks tom on my 12" tom and it DID make a significant difference... Although I only played for an hour and a half, no rods were coming loose.

I don't know if it's the rod itself or if it's the plastic skewers that keeps them in place. I'll find out by glueing the metal skewers on the CB rods to rod-head and then putting the plastic skewers underneath.

At least it's a kind of a break through :-)

StickS707
02-08-2017, 10:15 PM
So - I tried the rods from my Masterworks tom on my 12" tom and it DID make a significant difference... Although I only played for an hour and a half, no rods were coming loose.

I don't know if it's the rod itself or if it's the plastic skewers that keeps them in place. I'll find out by glueing the metal skewers on the CB rods to rod-head and then putting the plastic skewers underneath.

What exactly are the skewers you mention...can you take a picture and attach?

Tasty808
02-09-2017, 01:22 AM
What exactly are the skewers you mention...can you take a picture and attach?

Right?

I think he's talking about the washers(?). Metal washers included with the Crystal Beats, nylon included with Session Studio Classic and up.

Lol, "skewers"?

Gravengaard
02-09-2017, 04:20 AM
F**K - ment washers obviously! English is not my native language and it was late ;-)

Nylon washers vs. metal :-)

David Hollywood
02-09-2017, 03:01 PM
I just read through this thread. I have actually experienced this as well, most noticeably with the 14" floor tom. I had attributed it to my using the stock heads and not actually stretching them or breaking them in at all, just tuning them up out of the box. I figured it would go away if I put better heads on there and broke them in a bit.

As others have mentioned, oddly enough this doesn't seem to have much impact on the sound. On any of my other kits/drums if a head is that loose the drum sounds terrible and has almost no tone. On the Crystal Beat floor tom the drum still has a surprising amount of tone to it even with the head almost completely loose on the drum.

I'm going to change the heads in the next month or so, I'll report back with what I find.

dunnigan66
02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
I've been playing my CB's for about 2 months, and one thing I have noticed is my tension rods are coming lose pretty quickly.
I will tune my toms, and by the end of practice, they will be pretty much de-tuned, and in some cases the tension rods will be essentially finger tight.
This is my 3rd kit that I've bought brand new, and never had this problem with my other 2 kits.
Anyone else having this issue?

Just noticed mine doing this as well ughhh!!!

IMF1
04-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Did this ever get resolved? Curious.

Sethiroth
04-03-2017, 02:20 PM
No, Pearl is ignoring this thread like the plague, because I am assuming they don't know whats causing it, or don't want to admit it.

Sethiroth
04-03-2017, 02:24 PM

Have you ever had a chance to try the Master Works rods w/ metal washers, or the Pearl rods with the plastic washers?
It would be silly if this whole problem is because of some cheap washers.

GreenDrummer
04-03-2017, 05:10 PM
I am pissed. I cannot play more than 2 songs in a studio with losing tune... rods keep falling out...

Stuffed Chimp
04-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Have you ever had a chance to try the Master Works rods w/ metal washers, or the Pearl rods with the plastic washers? It would be silly if this whole problem is because of some cheap washers.

I had the metal washer, machined rods on my MMP and they detuned in minutes. It's not just the crystal beats that this issue is affecting: I'm in the same boat.

I've now stacked my ridiculously expensive and absolutely stunning to look at yellow MMP kit in the corner of the drum room and play exclusively on a Yamaha stage custom nouveau kit that I picked up in an unusual configuration for a SC (13,16,18,24) and was literally 10% of the price of the MMP and it's just amazing: tunes up in seconds, never drops out of tune no matter how much I beat those floor toms, so simple and easy to play, NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. This is what drumming should be like, not a constant battle with a supposed top line kit.

rollracer
04-04-2017, 10:00 AM
in the wait for a permanent solution to this problem, isn't such cheap device like the lug locks shouldn't be considered ?

seems to works at least. maybe not visually attractive, but it's better than having to tune your drums at every session.

http://makedrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/luglock-locking-tension-rod.jpg

Sethiroth
04-06-2017, 08:44 AM
in the wait for a permanent solution to this problem, isn't such cheap device like the lug locks shouldn't be considered ?

seems to works at least. maybe not visually attractive, but it's better than having to tune your drums at every session.

Whats better is for there to be a correct fix, instead of adding a bunch of stupid looking squares to my fairly expensive kit at my own expense.

Sethiroth
04-07-2017, 10:45 AM
This is the explanation from Pearl that I received. I have searched and searched online for another source to confirm that this is true, and can not find anything.
You would think that after 50 years of existence, this would be a more known issue with acrylic drums, which is leading me to believe this is a BS answer...

"The Crystal Beat acrylic shells are extremely rigid, and, unlike multiple-ply wood drum shells, offer no way to subdue the sound waves and subsequent vibrations that they cause. This means that most of the energy that is generated goes straight into the tension rods and causes the de-tuning. This is the nature of this type of shell. We recommend using any type of product that prevents tension rod de-tuning such as Lug Locks as they are inexpensive and can be used for the entire kit."

Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with other acrylic kits that can verify that they had this issue as well?

The Kurgan
04-07-2017, 01:23 PM
This is the explanation from Pearl that I received. I have searched and searched online for another source to confirm that this is true, and can not find anything. You would think that after 50 years of existence, this would be a more known issue with acrylic drums, which is leading me to believe this is a BS answer... "The Crystal Beat acrylic shells are extremely rigid, and, unlike multiple-ply wood drum shells, offer no way to subdue the sound waves and subsequent vibrations that they cause. This means that most of the energy that is generated goes straight into the tension rods and causes the de-tuning. This is the nature of this type of shell. We recommend using any type of product that prevents tension rod de-tuning such as Lug Locks as they are inexpensive and can be used for the entire kit." Any thoughts? Does anyone have experience with other acrylic kits that can verify that they had this issue as well? I have a friend that gigs with an OCPD acrylic kit & he hasn't had any issues. He gigs & practices with it all the time.

rollracer
04-07-2017, 02:53 PM
MAYBE , the tension rods's threads are a little undersized to avoid any gripping or to avoid transfering some extra torsional tension to the lugs when turning the rods, this to avoid cracking at the lugs attachement points . i try to find some kind of logical explanation ,and undersized threads of the rods seems to be the problem.

The Kurgan
04-07-2017, 03:12 PM
You can try teflon thread tape...works on snares great.

StickS707
04-23-2017, 10:13 PM
You can try teflon thread tape...works on snares great.
Gig Tested and verified!
I tried the telfon tape thing for a gig this weekend. Wrapped all tension rods (batter and reso sides) on the 10, 12, 14, and 16 toms (the 14 and 16 being the worse offenders, possibly due to their low tuning). Worked like a charm!! The 8 had a bit of loosening, but it was my control tom...it will be getting the teflon tape treatment prior to the next gig. I basically started from the bottom of the tension rod and wrapped approximately half way up the rod.

That being said...it's still BS that I have a '97 Export Select that stays in tune better than the Crystal Beat without any after-market mods. I'll have to check the other manufacturer forums to see if they are having issues with their acrylic kits (has anyone heard of issues with DW, Tama, or Crush?).

The Kurgan
04-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Glad it helped. Plus as an added bonus you won't have any leaks !!! :p

Kevin Packard
04-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Forum Members and Pearl Family,

This thread just came to my attention and I must apologize to anyone that feels their query has gone ignored. As excellently as the Forum is moderated by giants like Al and D (as well as personally monitored by our CEO,) there are times when things slip by. All apologies and no excuses, we were remiss and ask for your forgiveness and patience.

Please remember that if you ever have an immediate issue that needs attention, you have a DIRECT line to the company via our Contact Ticket Portal on the website:

http://pearldrum.com/support/contact-us/

The messages submitted there go directly to (and are answered by,) our Customer Service and Product Managers. Our goal is to personally answer each query within 24-48 hours (depending on Holidays, schedules, ect.)

That being said, the detuning issue several have discussed in this thread has come to our attention in rare instances before. The answer you received was actually correct; in most cases a more rigid shell like Acrylic doesn't often absorb the vibrations coming from impact, thus allowing rods to come loose as the vibration is transferred through the lugs. As Pearl's Crystal Beat's are seamless cast shells (and not rolled like RCI/Ludwig/OCDP, ect.) they are more solid for that no-overtone sound and feel, but have been known to have this affect on some tuning points.

I liked the thought of using Teflon Tape (hadn't considered that before but definitely a valid fix,) but to each point, we want to make sure you are getting the most from your instrument. One solid fix would be our Stainless Steel tension rods, which will have a more secure fit and are available on our Reference and Masterworks drums. Please reach out to us through the Contact portal mentioned above, we would love to be able to assist you further.

Thanks again for all your support and patience!

KPack @ Pearl

StickS707
05-04-2017, 07:54 PM
I'm gonna test the Stainless Steel tension rods on the 10 and 14 toms this weekend during a 3 set gig. I was originally just going to test the 14 as it is the worst culprit (and probably hit the most...and hardest), but it is tuned pretty low, so I'm adding the 10 to the test as it is probably the next most hit, but tuned quite a bit higher and tighter (comparaitively).

BTW, the rest of the toms still have teflon tape on the tension rods from the gig a couple of weekends ago and only needed very, very, minor tuning adjustments (the adjustments were well within normal tolerances). So I'll be able to compare the teflon-covered vs. SS rods. Will update on Sunday.

StickS707
05-14-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm gonna test the Stainless Steel tension rods on the 10 and 14 toms this weekend during a 3 set gig. I was originally just going to test the 14 as it is the worst culprit (and probably hit the most...and hardest), but it is tuned pretty low, so I'm adding the 10 to the test as it is probably the next most hit, but tuned quite a bit higher and tighter (comparaitively).

BTW, the rest of the toms still have teflon tape on the tension rods from the gig a couple of weekends ago and only needed very, very, minor tuning adjustments (the adjustments were well within normal tolerances). So I'll be able to compare the teflon-covered vs. SS rods. Will update on Sunday.

I forgot to post the results of the SS tension rod test....in a word: SOLID! Both the 10 and 14 toms stayed in tune all night (and still are a week later). I used nylon washers, btw. The teflon tape solution is still solid, also.

Boy_Narf
09-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Are the stainless steel rods a free replacement from Pearl or did you have to pay for them? I picked up an 18" kick recently and intend to start using it live so I'm curious.

Thanks,