PDA

View Full Version : Wood fiberglass head choices

CUZNRED
05-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Hey guys, what are you running for heads on your kits? I currently have clear vintage emperers over clear ambassadors and I am not liking the sound I am getting from the 13 inch rack tom. Considering switching to coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors.

Big King
05-20-2016, 12:45 AM
I gotta be honest. I've been using the stock heads on mine. I think they are remo pinstripes. They are great for live situations. If I was going to swap them it might be for Evans G2 clears.

CUZNRED
05-20-2016, 07:48 AM
I gotta be honest. I've been using the stock heads on mine. I think they are remo pinstripes. They are great for live situations. If I was going to swap them it might be for Evans G2 clears.

Ok, thanks for the input

The Kurgan
05-20-2016, 07:51 AM
Not that I know anything about these drums but the Aquarian modern vintage heads are worth looking into.... They really sound awesome.

CUZNRED
05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Not that I know anything about these drums but the Aquarian modern vintage heads are worth looking into.... They really sound awesome.

I may go back to using coated ambassadors, I put some on my Gretsch Walnut/Maple kit over clear ambassadors and the toms came alive

sticks4drums
05-20-2016, 04:00 PM
I may go back to using coated ambassadors, I put some on my Gretsch Walnut/Maple kit over clear ambassadors and the toms came alive

Sure its the heads? :)

CUZNRED
05-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Sure its the heads? :)

yes

paradiddlediddle666
05-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Why not try a Coated Vintage Emp on the batter? That will help warm up the sound (assuming that’s what you’re after).

CUZNRED
05-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Why not try a Coated Vintage Emp on the batter? That will help warm up the sound (assuming that’s what you’re after).

Thanks, I may go with the coated regular emps

paradiddlediddle666
05-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks, I may go with the coated regular emps

Also a good choice.

robstafaria
05-26-2016, 02:10 AM
Quick question for you wood/fiberglass kit owners. How would you rate the shell or drum weight? I guess I am wondering if the fiberglass layer adds a lot of weight to the drums.

Heavy to me would be a Reference shell.

Thanks, Rob

PADman
05-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Quick question for you wood/fiberglass kit owners. How would you rate the shell or drum weight? I guess I am wondering if the fiberglass layer adds a lot of weight to the drums. I don't find them much different than the Session and Masters kits I've owned as far as weight. I'm using coated Powerstroke 3 batters on everything these days (hate Moongel) with clear Ambo resos. The stock reso on the kick works for me.

CUZNRED
05-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Quick question for you wood/fiberglass kit owners. How would you rate the shell or drum weight? I guess I am wondering if the fiberglass layer adds a lot of weight to the drums.

Heavy to me would be a Reference shell.

Thanks, Rob

if anything I think the optimounts are what adds the weight. I am pondering putting Ludwig atlas mounts on mine

robstafaria
05-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys!

SteveJordan
06-12-2017, 10:41 AM
I'm having a similar issue with my new W/F kit - the stock 2-ply pinstripes really deaden the sound. I'm using the drums mostly for straight ahead jazz, and what to get the toms to sing and really resonate. I had a W/F kit in the 70's and liked the tone. I would like a coated head (ambassador weight) but want to stay clear of REMO. Has any one tried Evans UV1 heads on these shells? Or, some other vendor like Aquarian?

timbofromkeno
07-14-2017, 07:20 PM
I've been using some White Suede Emperors on my toms and they sound great.

For the kick, it's been pretty standard for me –*coated Powerstroke 3 on batter side with a coated Emperor Bass on the reso with a felt strip.

Here's a video of that setup mic'ed up –*https://www.facebook.com/drumdigest/videos/1703636086605059/

marquisjohnson22
03-03-2018, 04:49 AM
I just got mine but Clear Emperors have them singing really well. I’m loving the tone!

thetbirdman
01-26-2021, 08:54 AM
I put coated ambassadors on the top and clear ambassadors on the bottom. Perfect for jazz.