PDA

View Full Version : Midtown BG sparkle

pearlygates
03-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Needed a small kit for my new R&B funk gig.. Looked at a few others, but I came back to Pearl.
Quality on this little guy is as always for Pearl..top tier!
Here's a few pics of the kit just after set up in my living room.
I will have full set up and gig pics as well as a review of sorts once I bag the cheapo Chinese remo heads.

pearlygates
03-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Here's a few more.. Kinda bad lighting, I'm gonna take them outdoors for some shots soon. The black gold sparkle is very lovely in person. Ordered the bag set for them today as well.

steadypocket
03-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Nice looking little kit. Please take a pic of the kick drum batter side so we can see how the pedal is set up for the small kick.

pearlygates
03-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Nice looking little kit. Please take a pic of the kick drum batter side so we can see how the pedal is set up for the small kick.

Will do. Pearl has thought out the design of the batter side hoop and cut a recess to rectify the issue of needing to position the pedal further back to avoid the cam/ chain from chewing into it. Nice touch Pearl!!

I will get some full kit pics up soon and I will make a point to show this. So far, I'm impressed.

skeld-the-wicked
03-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Nice grab . What's the name of your new group and gig date I will come check it out.

pearlygates
03-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Nice grab . What's the name of your new group and gig date I will come check it out.

May be a bit over confident in my statement as having the gig. I am auditioning this Sunday. Amy and the Supertones.
Old classics, Joe Cocker, Aretha Franklin.... Should be cool. I'm a hard rock drummer, but this should prove to be a breath of fresh air. I grew up listening to the old classic Rhythm and Blues type stuff and it just stuck with me...incorporated itself into my style.
I will up date when I'm (if I'm) hired.
This little kit will be perfect for this. It actually sounds a lot bigger than its diminutive size would lead you to believe.

pearlygates
03-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Here's a few pix of the kick drum riser and the hoop cut out to accommodate the travel of the pedal chain.

pearlygates
03-10-2016, 09:23 AM
Few more.

wilo79
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM
That one nice little kit congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums

steadypocket
03-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Slick design. Thanks for the pics.

pearlygates
03-11-2016, 01:02 PM
I just got done with the head swap. Went with Evans G2 clears on the toms. Genera dry for the snare and an EMAD 2 on the kick. Left stock resonant heads and ported the kick.

This little kit, despite its size is LOUD and punchy! I could see using this on a rock gig!
Outdoor pix this weekend.

paradiddlediddle666
03-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Needed a small kit for my new R&B funk gig.. Looked at a few others, but I came back to Pearl.

Thatís so cool! I saw these kits up close at my local drum shop last night. I have to agree with you on the top-tier-quality comment! These stomp all over the Ludwig Breakbeat kits, for sure!

pearlygates
03-11-2016, 10:25 PM

That’s so cool! I saw these kits up close at my local drum shop last night. I have to agree with you on the top-tier-quality comment! These stomp all over the Ludwig Breakbeat kits, for sure!
I agree. I looked at a Breakbeats kit. The Midtown is better quality for sure. They really sound quite good.

pearlygates
03-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Just got the bag set for the kit today. Verry nicely done Pearl!!

skeld-the-wicked
03-14-2016, 05:24 AM
How did the audition go ?

pearlygates
03-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Re slated for the 20th. Might be starting up another project with X members of Villians. Heading out to Richfield Wednesday with the Midtown kit in tow.

Bish
03-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Little kits are very cool. I love my TAMA Bopper.

Kiwi
03-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Nice rig there, hope it goes well!

pearlygates
03-16-2016, 08:20 PM
Pretty happy with how this kit sounds!

skeld-the-wicked
03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Did you audition yesterday? Did you get the gig ?

pearlygates
03-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Did you audition yesterday? Did you get the gig ? no. Didn't accept the audition. Too close to wife's surgery. Looking for classic rock/blues gig now. Any leads?

skeld-the-wicked
03-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Again well wishes for your wife's surgery. There is a ad on Milwaukee rocks for a heavy classic rock drummer a couple of days ago. I will ask around Pearly . You probably will be so concerned about your wife you wont be able to concentrate on anything else anyway. If you can this Wednesday night my band B Side will be playing from 6 to 9 at Morton's in downtown cedarburg (address is on Milwaukee rocks .com for wed 3/23 )

pearlygates
03-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Again well wishes for your wife's surgery. There is a ad on Milwaukee rocks for a heavy classic rock drummer a couple of days ago. I will ask around Pearly . You probably will be so concerned about your wife you wont be able to concentrate on anything else anyway. If you can this Wednesday night my band B Side will be playing from 6 to 9 at Morton's in downtown cedarburg (address is on Milwaukee rocks .com for wed 3/23 )
Thanks man. I am indeed concentrating on the wife right now. Gigs come and go I suppose. Haven't been out there in some time but my edge is alive and well and kicking it. I checked out a few videos you guys have on YouTube and liked what I heard. You guys are good. Hat tip to ya for being able to sing and play!! Good stuff!
Wife's procedure is Wednesday. I took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. I seriously would like to come and check you guys out and the new SSC kit, but Wednesday will be a busy day. Thanks for the invite and I will make sure to get out there and see you guys sometime soon.

MusicMan
03-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Just got the bag set for the kit today. Verry nicely done Pearl!!

It's nice to see the dividers in the bag. I couldn't see that in the press release photos and was concerned that the drums might be banging against one another in the large bag.

keaton_86
03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
I dont understand why you sold your Saturns to get a mars and a midtown. Seems kinda odd to me and a huge downgrade. You dont really need a smaller kit to play 'R&B and Funk' no matter what the ads tell you.

pearlygates
03-23-2016, 01:13 PM
The bag set works perfectly. It was weird first time I loaded them. You have to load top and bottom drums then center. Excellent quality!!

MusicMan
03-23-2016, 01:53 PM
The bag set works perfectly. It was weird first time I loaded them. You have to load top and bottom drums then center. Excellent quality!!

Thanks for the info.

I recently ordered a new MW kit in the Midtown sizes (with RFP specs).

Maybe I'll get the Pearl bag set for it when it arrives. :)

pearlygates
03-23-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I recently ordered a new MW kit in the Midtown sizes (with RFP specs). Maybe I'll get the Pearl bag set for it when it arrives. :) sounds sweet! The bags are very nice.

skeld-the-wicked
03-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Pearly, go on Milwaukee Rocks .com. Tommy Blood & the Blues Hounds are looking for a drummer. New ad posted today.

pearlygates
03-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Pearly, go on Milwaukee Rocks .com. Tommy Blood & the Blues Hounds are looking for a drummer. New ad posted today.

Thanks for the heads up!

Just sent Tommy an email.

skeld-the-wicked
03-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Np . Good luck . The B side had a great show at Morton's Wednesday Night. We will be at Revere's Well Street tavern in Delafield this sat 3/26/16 9pm.

nova
03-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Those are the no fuss carry on kit James. Basically they are like the EXR's I had except for the bass drum size (and number of poplar drums). I like the Black and the White. Enjoy!

pearlygates
03-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Np . Good luck . The B side had a great show at Morton's Wednesday Night. We will be at Revere's Well Street tavern in Delafield this sat 3/26/16 9pm. awesome!! Got a call for an audition with Tommy for Monday!!!
Those are the no fuss carry on kit James. Basically they are like the EXR's I had except for the bass drum size (and number of poplar drums). I like the Black and the White. Enjoy! Thanks Lonny. It's a nice addition to the quiver. It sounds remarkably bigger than its diminutive size might lead you to think. Diggin it!

skeld-the-wicked
03-26-2016, 05:40 PM
That's great Pearly !!!! If I remember he like's SRV & Hendrix.

skeld-the-wicked
03-30-2016, 06:29 AM
Any news on the audition ?

pearlygates
03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Any news on the audition ? never got back to me to confirm. Kind of a stuffed shirt guy. Still I plod along.

skeld-the-wicked
03-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Oh a back biter hey ? Why I outta nuk nuk��

pearlygates
03-30-2016, 11:01 PM
It's all good. Still woodshedding.

Pearlplayer1990
05-04-2016, 10:01 PM
interesting little kit... What are they made of shell wise?

AL PERCIVAL
05-05-2016, 08:49 AM
interesting little kit... What are they made of shell wise?

6-ply poplar 7.5mm shell thickness

MusicMan
06-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Will do. Pearl has thought out the design of the batter side hoop and cut a recess to rectify the issue of needing to position the pedal further back to avoid the cam/ chain from chewing into it. Nice touch Pearl!!

Pearlygates,

I was surprised that Pearl did the cut out in the batter hoop when they could have just used the plate from the ordinary Jungle Gig bass drum mount which is about an inch longer than the triangular lift they use for the Midtown. They must have committed to the hardware with the triangular lift and then realized that they would need to modify the hoop to go along with hit.

I ordered a Masterworks version of the Midtown set up and had them leave all the hardware off of the 16x14 kick drum shell so I could install the Jungle Gig lift myself. I had them make 1.5" hoops for the MW kit and didn't need to modify the batter hoop.

MM :)

MattKeaton
07-19-2016, 01:31 AM
Looks great.
While I'd like to think there is another good reason for a single hole in the BD mount, it's probably mainly to maximise hardware sales...?

johnnytempo
12-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Here's a few pix of the kick drum riser and the hoop cut out to accommodate the travel of the pedal chain.

Nic pics ! I'm right on the edge of buying this kit.Question,Does any bass pedal fit the riser rig?I have a vusion set with the Eliminator Pedal,will it clamp correctly?? Thanks

MusicMan
12-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Nic pics ! I'm right on the edge of buying this kit.Question,Does any bass pedal fit the riser rig?I have a vusion set with the Eliminator Pedal,will it clamp correctly?? Thanks

Yes, you shouldn't have any problem. :)

Furious Styles
03-26-2017, 08:28 PM
How has this kit been working out?

PatrickDC
03-26-2017, 08:47 PM
So it's just the kick drum that makes this kit a mini?

Furious Styles
03-26-2017, 11:03 PM
http://moviestartees.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Saturday-Night-Live-Unisex-Its-Pat-T-Shirt-0-0.jpg

MusicMan
03-27-2017, 07:17 AM
So it's just the kick drum that makes this kit a mini?

No, it's the 16" kick drum and the 13" floor tom.

Furious Styles
12-03-2017, 08:56 AM
How has this kit been for durability, homeslice?

Ehrin
12-04-2017, 07:01 PM
How has this kit been for durability, homeslice?

I've been gigging pretty heavily (3-4 gigs a month) with a Midtown kit for about a year now and it has held up great! The only issue I've had is I warped the wrap on the kick and floor tom at an outdoor gig this summer. I left the kit set up in the sun and it fried. Also burnt out my iPad if that gives you an idea how hot it was... I wouldn't have expected any finish to have survived but this one is only a little warped and is hardly noticeable until you are close to the kit.

Furious Styles
12-07-2017, 07:57 PM
^^ Thanks! This kit has really piqued my interest.

Your thread about auditioning w/a Midtown was the impetus. Cheers.