PDA

View Full Version : Got my Music City Customs today!

bo eder
02-22-2016, 08:26 PM
OK - they've arrived! I haven't had a chance to give 'em a tuning and play them yet, that'll be tomorrow. But as expected, the fit and finish is superb! I already have a Reference Pure kit in black and these MMC's are based on that design, so it's the same great attention to detail that went into these. The wrap is impeccable - it's a good traditional vintage wrap, but you don't see it as much as a sparkle, or black oyster, or white marine....

What do ya think?

Drum313
02-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Congrats!

The wrap looks very good. I have to admit I'm surprised, as the sample pic on the MCC site made it look less appealing.
Can't wait to see it set up!

Edit: just checked your other thread... 13 days from order to arrival!

Jimenez
02-22-2016, 09:34 PM
They look pretty awesome to me! Congrats!

keaton_86
02-22-2016, 09:50 PM
Very nice. I think sonor used to use that wrap on their S Classix. Crazy you got them so quick.

bo eder
02-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Very nice. I think sonor used to use that wrap on their S Classix. Crazy you got them so quick.

Well, that's what Pearl said. They get them to you within 14 days of ordering. They can keep their promises. I believe this line will really move for them - like I said in another thread, when I got my original Reference Pure kit, I had to wait five months for a piano black 8x12 rack tom to come in from Taiwan. That can't be a positive thing for future customers. I'm really happy with these. I often said if they did RefPure in wraps, I'd get a set! I'm a vintage guy, but after a while, I got tired of having to deal with vintage quirks and limited tuning ranges. So here I am ;)

steadypocket
02-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Congrats Bo. Gorgeous kit and as a former Reference Pure owner, I know how great they sound.

wsgnst
02-23-2016, 05:32 AM
The turnaround time is impressive, especially considering that the line was just rolled out. Looks great!

sticks4drums
02-23-2016, 06:33 AM
They look great Bo! Congratulations.

BadAstronaut
02-23-2016, 07:05 AM
wrap isn't for me but congrats Bo! .. arrived before 14 days .. sweet

let's see if Pearl can honor 14 days when I place my order for Ref Pure in 10,12,13,14,15,16,18,22,24,26 sizes :eek:

I just can't decide on wrap option .. I have 3 wraps in question .. picking one is the hard part for me

AL PERCIVAL
02-23-2016, 07:07 AM
wrap isn't for me but congrats Bo .. arrived before 14 days

let's see if Pearl can honor 14 days when I place my order for Ref Pure in 10,12,13,14,15,16,18,22,24,26 sizes :eek:

I just can't decide on wrap option .. I have 3 wraps in question .. picking one is the hard part for me

............ Don't forget to add a gong drum! :D

BadAstronaut
02-23-2016, 07:14 AM
............ Don't forget to add a gong drum! :DIf you throw it in for free I won't mind ;) but otherwise I don't need

all those sizes will be a shell bank at my disposal to use as different setups at any given time :D

bo eder
02-23-2016, 08:43 AM

Well, that's definitely a personal thing. I remember being a kid and looking at the backs of all those old Ludwig and Slingerland catalogs and not being able to choose a color too!

AL PERCIVAL
02-23-2016, 08:51 AM
Bo - again congratulations, great looking kit! wishing you continued success!

BadAstronaut
02-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Well, that's definitely a personal thing. I remember being a kid and looking at the backs of all those old Ludwig and Slingerland catalogs and not being able to choose a color too!yeah .. I hear ya Bo .. I'm picky about finishes .. If I'm going to fork over lots of $$$ for 10 shells then I better make sure I pick the right wrap for me .. seriously, it's hard! .. the sizes were easy to pick but finish is a whole new ball game

Kiwi
02-23-2016, 09:29 AM
............ Don't forget to add a gong drum! :D

I should have held on for MCC to arrive... I'm still waiting months for my RF gong!!

Great kit bo, a classy choice!

'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Looks great! I dig the wrap. Let's see set up pics.

Woodboy
02-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Looks great..! Congrats man!!!
A question!
Are there any serial numbers on the shells or batches??
Cheers

mn02
02-23-2016, 02:15 PM
I like this wrap way more than I thought I would. The kit really has a nice balance of vintage/modern. About the best compliment I can provide is those drums look inspiring to play. Looking forward to full set up pics (which will of course be completely confusing and off putting since you're a lefty).

AL PERCIVAL
02-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Just to be clear our "goal" is 14 production days for MCC starting from when "Pearl" actually receives the order from the dealer, shipping not included.

BadAstronaut
02-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Just to be clear our "goal" is 14 production days for MCC starting from when "Pearl" actually receives the order from the dealer, shipping not included.I understand Al .. I'm just busting Pearls ballz because of the size of my order ;)

shipping would take 2-3 days from TN to where I'm at .. I can live with 2 and a half weeks :)

it beats a 4-6 month wait ;)

paradiddlediddle666
02-23-2016, 05:05 PM
OK - they've arrived! I haven't had a chance to give 'em a tuning and play them yet, that'll be tomorrow. But as expected, the fit and finish is superb! I already have a Reference Pure kit in black and these MMC's are based on that design, so it's the same great attention to detail that went into these. The wrap is impeccable - it's a good traditional vintage wrap, but you don't see it as much as a sparkle, or black oyster, or white marine....

What do ya think?

She’s a beauty!

therocker
02-23-2016, 05:18 PM
The wrap is definitely unique. Wasn't sure at first glance but it's growing on me. Like most drums, it's a completely different kit in person than in a picture. Happy for you and Pearl MCC's. Great program! Way nicer than any drums I've owned.

bo eder
02-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Looks great..! Congrats man!!!
A question!
Are there any serial numbers on the shells or batches??
Cheers

There is a label glued to the inside of every shell, with a date and a number, and it's signed (I believe by the guy who put it together). There are no numbers on the badges.

bo eder
02-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Bo - again congratulations, great looking kit! wishing you continued success!

Thanks Al! I got them set-up and tuned today and did some playing on them. I'm spoiled - they're so easy to get to sound good. Even the snare didn't have any issues. I just tweaked everything up a bit and started playing. Right out of the box they were cool.

The one piece of gear I didn't research was the glide strainer on the snare drum. What an ingenious design! With drum key screws, you can just remove the whole mechanism from both sides of the drum to change a head - no need to mess up all your settings! Another "Why doesn't anyone else do this?" moment for me. And, being left handed, I can even reverse where the strainer is so the drum badge faces outward (I've never gotten to do that before) so I have the lever on my right side. I feel like there's nothing I really need to compromise with on this kit.

Pearl did include a muffle pillow for the bass drum, but the drum sounds great with just my usual "just above wrinkling on the batter head, and tighter on the rest head" tuning. In fact, I took Will Kennedy's advice and just pushed on each head to where it wrinkles, then tighten it past the wrinkles on every drum. It was very easy to get to the tonal center of each drum. Again, I'm blown away. This is the first time (well, other than my first kit of RefPures) that I feel like the kit isn't getting in my way. I just tweak it to my liking and it goes. Well done Pearl (again!)!

AL PERCIVAL
02-24-2016, 05:53 AM
I understand Al .. I'm just busting Pearls ballz because of the size of my order ;)

shipping would take 2-3 days from TN to where I'm at .. I can live with 2 and a half weeks :)

it beats a 4-6 month wait ;)

Exactly that is what is so cool about it, reference and reference pure specs delivered in 14 production days (instead of waiting the traditional 4-6 months) on a finish we may not stock but can be ordered. I think that is what is so hot about the MCC and the finishes are amazing must be seen in person to really appreciate.

I actually want to see a huge kit ordered just to see if we can deliver. :D

BadAstronaut
02-24-2016, 06:12 AM
Exactly that is what is so cool about it, reference and reference pure specs delivered in 14 production days (instead of waiting the traditional 4-6 months) on a finish we may not stock but can be ordered. I think that is what is so hot about the MCC and the finishes are amazing must be seen in person to really appreciate.

I actually want to see a huge kit ordered just to see if we can deliver. :Dyep yep .. on the money Al

I have 100% faith that Pearl will deliver when I order my kit .. there is no doubt in that department from me .. I KNOW the guys in TN assembling my kit will knock it out the park in record time ;)

Pearls customer service is top notch/#1 in the business and you (Al) always deliver on this forum when people need help or have issues with gear they bought

I'm not rushing the order process as I want to be 100% certain of wrap I want .. there's sooo many to choose from .. the sizes were easy to pick

And you won't find me asking people I don't know on a forum what wrap option I should pick .. it's my money and my decision

Oh and along with 10,12,13,14,15,16,18,22,24,26 shells I want I'm adding both sizes of Ref pure snares .. might as well :D

sticks4drums
02-24-2016, 06:37 AM

I actually want to see a huge kit ordered just to see if we can deliver. :D

You sound like a proud Father Al. Good for you buddy! :)

AL PERCIVAL
02-24-2016, 07:40 AM
You sound like a proud Father Al. Good for you buddy! :)

I am because I'm excited about being able to deliver a quality kit in no time at all. We've stepped up our game and this is a good thing for everyone.

sticks4drums
02-24-2016, 07:48 AM
I am because I'm excited about being able to deliver a quality kit in no time at all. We've stepped up our game and this is a good thing for everyone.

You have caught my attention. People don't like to wait in this day and age. We like to see what we like, and be able to buy it. Things change too fast now to be waiting half a year, to a year for things we order. Keep up the good work Al.

Shane Padayachee 1
02-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Wow that looks awesome Bo! Can't wait to see pics of the completed setup :cool:

opus138
02-24-2016, 08:06 AM
I'm sorry the Dr Evil offended -- it's just what popped in my head with the multiple quotes. Was meant in fun.

AL PERCIVAL
02-24-2016, 08:33 AM
You have caught my attention. People don't like to wait in this day and age. We like to see what we like, and be able to buy it. Things change too fast now to be waiting half a year, to a year for things we order. Keep up the good work Al.

I wish I could take even an ounce of credit but It was the visionary leadership of our President Terry West Pearl Corporation USA that saw the need to shorten our lead time on delivery of quality drums to the consuming public. Hopefully even greater things to come. :D

sticks4drums
02-24-2016, 08:45 AM
I wish I could take even an ounce of credit but It was the visionary leadership of our President Terry West Pearl Corporation USA that saw the need to shorten our lead time on delivery of quality drums to the consuming public. Hopefully even greater things to come. :D

We are discussing the impact that endorsed players have on our drum buying decisions. I am a firm believer that they make a huge difference on many people, and I will take that one step farther and say that you Al, have also made a huge impact on how people look at Pearl drums.

Jutt8
02-24-2016, 09:20 AM
We are discussing the impact that endorsed players have on our drum buying decisions. I am a firm believer that they make a huge difference on many people, and I will take that one step farther and say that you Al, have also made a huge impact on how people look at Pearl drums.

There is no doubt that people like Al, great customer service, and warranty's from companies like Pearl make a big difference on someone's decision on who they will go with. Quality of build and sound is a given, that must be there, but the tipping point are the other factors (the little things and small details like, will someone listen? will someone get back with me? will this get taken care?). With Pearl, they have ALWAYS taken care of any issue or warranty claim I have had with very good communication along the way. Knowing that if we should have a problem with our Pearl gear and that there is an immediate connection to the company is unbelievable and very rare. This forum has been quite valuable in many many ways on more than one occasion.
Some other rare perks that Pearl does that no one else will typically do are:
- make add on components for those that have discontinued kits. I don't know anyone else that will do this.
- expand finish choices to those that want it; Example would be the new Masters Kits (Al mentioned they will do all previous Masters Premium finishes choices, not just the select few that you see on the site. Again that is huge!)

There is another company out there that make amazing drums. I own a fantastic snare from that company. I had a simple question about the drum that I bought from them. I had a very difficult time trying to find out the number and who to contact. When I did finally reach out, it took nearly 1 month before I got an answer. Too long!

BadAstronaut
02-24-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry the Dr Evil offended -- it's just what popped in my head with the multiple quotes. Was meant in fun.Opus .. I wasn't offended .. I think you just didn't realize I was bustin' Pearls balls .. all in good fun man .. no worries here :)

BadAstronaut
02-24-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm BadAstronaut and I approve these messages .. AL is the face of PEARL DRUMS in my book .. When I think of Pearl I think of AL .. haha
I will take that one step farther and say that you Al, have also made a huge impact on how people look at Pearl drums.

There is no doubt that people like Al, great customer service, and warranty's from companies like Pearl make a big difference on someone's decision on who they will go with. Quality of build and sound is a given, that must be there, but the tipping point are the other factors (the little things and small details like, will someone listen? will someone get back with me? will this get taken care?). With Pearl, they have ALWAYS taken care of any issue or warranty claim I have had with very good communication along the way. Knowing that if we should have a problem with our Pearl gear and that there is an immediate connection to the company is unbelievable and very rare. This forum has been quite valuable in many many ways on more than one occasion.
Some other rare perks that Pearl does that no one else will typically do are:
- make add on components for those that have discontinued kits. I don't know anyone else that will do this.
- expand finish choices to those that want it; Example would be the new Masters Kits (Al mentioned they will do all previous Masters Premium finishes choices, not just the select few that you see on the site.

dale w miller
02-24-2016, 11:07 AM
yep yep .. on the money Al I have 100% faith that Pearl will deliver when I order my kit .. there is no doubt in that department from me .. I KNOW the guys in TN assembling my kit will knock it out the park in record time ;) Pearls customer service is top notch/#1 in the business and you (Al) always deliver on this forum when people need help or have issues with gear they bought I'm not rushing the order process as I want to be 100% certain of wrap I want .. there's sooo many to choose from .. the sizes were easy to pick And you won't find me asking people I don't know on a forum what wrap option I should pick .. it's my money and my decision Oh and along with 10,12,13,14,15,16,18,22,24,26 shells I want I'm adding both sizes of Ref pure snares .. might as well :D

Can you show us the strainer you're talking about?

BadAstronaut
02-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Can you show us the strainer you're talking about?Uhm .. I think you quoted wrong person cause I said nothing about a strainer Dale

dale w miller
02-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Uhm .. I think you quoted wrong person cause I said nothing about a strainer Dale

Oops. Alright, whoever did........

AL PERCIVAL
02-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Oops. Alright, whoever did........

I think Bo was referring to the SR-1000 Glide-Lock strainer in his post #24.

opus138
02-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Opus .. I wasn't offended .. I think you just didn't realize I was bustin' Pearls balls .. all in good fun man .. no worries here :)

It was deleted, so someone took offense.

BadAstronaut
02-24-2016, 03:07 PM
It was deleted, so someone took offense.wow .. I just checked and it's gone .. your secret army of enemies must be following you Opus ;)

therocker
02-26-2016, 08:25 AM
Happy for you, Bo. This is pretty exciting stuff. The idea of a custom kit, made to order, in just 14 days. It would take me at least 14 months to pic a wrap!!! Love MCC's start to finish. Pearl should be keeping track of how many sold in the first year and share pics of the process all the way to boxed and shipped.

I find myself, every couple of days, going to the MCC's section and viewing the finishes!

bo eder
02-27-2016, 12:37 AM
OK - I now have the kit dialed in and ready to go for use. I swapped out the batter heads for clear ambassadors on the toms, and a coated ambassador on the snare - the drums just explode now and are very sensitive (loving' it!). I also got my second Pearl snare today, a 6.5x14 Hybrid Exotic cast aluminum snare, so now I can cover both wood and metal snare sounds. My cymbals are all Zildjian: 17" hi-hats, 20" and 18" A thin crashes, and 22" K Light Ride. Hardware is all Pearl 900, with a 1000 throne. My pedals are DW, though.

When I go out on a gig, I actually have a second set of hardware cased up and ready to go in my garage made up of Yamaha 6 and 7 stands. So when I have to pack up and go, I just case the drums and cymbals, make sure I have the floor tom legs, then throw it all in the truck and go. Best dang investment EVER!

Enjoy the mediocre iPhone pictures!

bo eder
02-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Fat Tone Hoops on that Exotic would really open that bad boy up. I did it on my Ultracast (and MCX kit haha)). I love these hoops! Congrats on all your new drums. And stop putting ideas in my head on having two sets of hardware. Haha.
I think so too. I'll consider it. As it stands I'd like an extra set of floor tom legs to live with the extra hardware anyway, so I might as well add the hoops in there too.

The extra hardware standing by ready to go was my best idea ever. I didn't need a second set of drums, the hardware is the big headache part. So I think you should do it. You know it's a good move 🤔🤔🤔

paradiddlediddle666
02-28-2016, 08:33 PM
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the Hybrid Exotic snare. Congrats! Nothing beats new drums!

bo eder
02-28-2016, 09:10 PM
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the Hybrid Exotic snare. Congrats! Nothing beats new drums!

The Hybrid Exotic Cast Aluminum snare is AWESOME! I really like the thick 3mm shell - it has the right amount of dry and just enough 'ping'. And oddly enough, it sounds great when I tune it down a la Don Henley and use a muff'l ring on it. My original thought was to use my RefPure snare as the phat-sounding low note, and the hybrid as my James Brown funk snare, but it's turning out to be opposite. Which is fine. Both drums cover the spectrum well.

I'm beginning to like this hybrid snare over my current heavy brass snare because it's drier, yet retains the ping, and it doesn't weigh a lot. It's like a Supra on steroids (since all I played for years was a Supra), so it is very cool. But, considering both are high-end snares, I should expect them to handle what I throw at them. I've had my fair share of MOR snares where I was 'pleasantly surprised', but I shouldn't be surprised with these. I highly recommend this Hybrid snare if you're looking for a great aluminum drum that can handle it all

AL PERCIVAL
02-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Great kit Matt - I told ya you'd like the exotic hybrid aluminum. As you say it can handle it all!

bo eder
03-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Great kit Matt - I told ya you'd like the exotic hybrid aluminum. As you say it can handle it all!

Thanks Al - I feel so guilty about using the Hybrid with my MMC kit that I think I'll have to get second kit just for the Hybrid snare ;)

I'm taking your advice on the antique gold for the next kit!

rollracer
03-03-2016, 05:40 PM
a 13 days turn around for such hi end drums is amazing. crazy nioce vintage wrap . pearl delivers....

iCe
03-06-2016, 09:08 AM
a 13 days turn around for such hi end drums is amazing. crazy nioce vintage wrap . pearl delivers....

NAMM 2017: Music City Custom with lacquered finishes :cool:

steadypocket
03-06-2016, 11:39 AM

Hah, not with a 2-week turnaround due to the nature of producing a high-end lacquer finish. Pearl's Nashville "custom shop" would require significant expansion, a costly endeavor.

bo eder
03-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Hahaha! The. They would call those Reference and Rederence Pure 🤔

AL PERCIVAL
03-07-2016, 09:26 AM

baby steps........... but I'm dreaming right along with you! :D

rollracer
03-07-2016, 09:59 AM

then , the promised 14 days turn around would be an issue because of the laquer process . the time it takes to cure correctly would drives the delivery time frame up.

bo eder
03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
So, an update:

I know I originally went into this with the idea that I always sound bad on more than four drums, and that all I ever do is groove, but you know, having a shell bank isn't a bad idea either. And there are some times when I'd like four toms to play when I do soloist things. So I'm already adding to this kit. I toyed with the idea of having 10 -12-14-16 toms, but in reality, I've always thought 10 toms were anemic, and 14 floor toms were even more so. I think I'm allergic to 10 and 14 toms. So I'm adding a 12x8 rack tom and a behemoth 18x16 floor tom! I've always liked the sound of the 18 floor tom, but carrying it around was like carrying around an extra bass drum. But I suppose I can live with transporting it. Then I'll have a big four tom kit, and my usual 4-piece kit, and even a 5-piece 12/13/16 kit just like in the 60s and 70s. The order went in so again we put the Pearl two-week test into motion ;)

pearlygates
03-11-2016, 06:06 AM
Sweet grab Bo!! I already know the quality level and the refs are amazing sounding drums! That wrap color looks nice.. Not my cup, but they sadly aren't my drums either. Congrats!

Jutt8
03-11-2016, 06:44 AM
So, an update:

I know I originally went into this with the idea that I always sound bad on more than four drums, and that all I ever do is groove, but you know, having a shell bank isn't a bad idea either. And there are some times when I'd like four toms to play when I do soloist things. So I'm already adding to this kit. I toyed with the idea of having 10 -12-14-16 toms, but in reality, I've always thought 10 toms were anemic, and 14 floor toms were even more so. I think I'm allergic to 10 and 14 toms. So I'm adding a 12x8 rack tom and a behemoth 18x16 floor tom! I've always liked the sound of the 18 floor tom, but carrying it around was like carrying around an extra bass drum. But I suppose I can live with transporting it. Then I'll have a big four tom kit, and my usual 4-piece kit, and even a 5-piece 12/13/16 kit just like in the 60s and 70s. The order went in so again we put the Pearl two-week test into motion ;)

12, 13, 16 tom configurations were huge in the 80's and early 90's as well. Should be a big sound especially with that 18 : )

dale w miller
03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Ahhhahhahaha! Tick-tock tick-tock. 14" are for rack toms. Oh yes! 13" would be the next obvious choice. 10" tom...not as a 'main' rack tom...if at all. Imo it has it's place sonically, but...c'mon. Lol.

I tune on the low end, so 12, 10, & 15 work great for me. I hate tight heads. They don't breathe enough for me, regardless of the size.

jdtdrums
03-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Ahhhahhahaha! Tick-tock tick-tock. 14" are for rack toms. Oh yes! 13" would be the next obvious choice. 10" tom...not as a 'main' rack tom...if at all. Imo it has it's place sonically, but...c'mon. Lol.

14" are for rack toms. Yes, yes and more yes!!!

Ron Gerber
03-13-2016, 11:41 AM
So, an update:

(Not that they are Music City Customs but) I have this... plus another bass drum:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/rongerber/Pearl%20SPX%20frame%201293%20rear%204-29-2015%202_zpspefida5j.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/rongerber/media/Pearl%20SPX%20frame%201293%20rear%204-29-2015%202_zpspefida5j.jpg.html)

...but lately set up 10, 12, and 14" toms for gigs:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a106/rongerber/SPX%20right%20outside%20Roadhouse%20Bar%20amp%20Gr ill%2010-4-2015%202_zpskhhhwj0x.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/rongerber/media/SPX%20right%20outside%20Roadhouse%20Bar%20amp%20Gr ill%2010-4-2015%202_zpskhhhwj0x.jpg.html)

Have no fear of 10" and 14" tom toms. Both are worthy. The 14 tunes lower than I first thought and the 10 really cuts. I used to, 25 years ago, think 10 inch toms were too small until I started using one. I miss it when I play 4 pc with 12 & 14 or 12 & 16.

bo eder
03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Those are really pretty!

But I'm sorry, I still think I'm allergic to 10 and 14 toms. I had them in the past, and I even have a DW kit with an 8x10 now, and I don't use it there, either. The last few rock n roll gigs I had I used an old vintage Ludwig kit with 12/13/16 toms and sometimes the 12 seemed too small (not in sound,but in physical size). So the 10 would just feel tiny to me. I'm just admitting I'm more old skool than I thought ;)

AL PERCIVAL
03-18-2016, 10:28 AM
countdown on new drums for Matt shipped on 3/17/16 :D
just saying........ no one has beat us on the Music City Custom date thingy yet..... although I probably just jinx us :D :D

opus138
03-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Hahaha! The. They would call those Reference and Rederence Pure ��

14 day turnaround time + 5.5 months shipping :D

bo eder
03-19-2016, 01:13 AM
countdown on new drums for Matt shipped on 3/17/16 :D
just saying........ no one has beat us on the Music City Custom date thingy yet..... although I probably just jinx us :D :D

Woo hoo! I believe this is sooner than 14-days! I just placed the order about a week ago! Pearl is AWESOME!

I will admit, when I ordered my first Reference Pure kit three years ago, it kinda' bummed me out having to wait 5 months for a piano black 12x8 tom. Music City Custom is exactly what I've been waiting for - vintage looks, modern Reference Pure shells, quick order fulfillment. I may never play vintage drums again - I just don't want to deal with vintage quirks, you know what I mean? Although I'm no super-important touring professional, I really have decided I no longer have the time to deal with wayward kits with bearing edges just cut wrong, or shells slightly out-of-round. I'm sure it gives the music character, but to me, it just gets in the way of speaking properly.

MusicMan
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Hah, not with a 2-week turnaround due to the nature of producing a high-end lacquer finish. Pearl's Nashville "custom shop" would require significant expansion, a costly endeavor.

Hi,

Not to mention that a lot of this lacquering is done in foreign countries where there are less regulations. It would be too costly for Pearl to do it here.

The best they might be able to do is "stock" some shells in a couple of popular lacquer finishes each year (like they do with their other high end series).