PDA

View Full Version : Ordered my Music City Customs today!

bo eder
02-09-2016, 01:05 AM
This is an exciting day and I have to scream about it somewhere ;)

I was first brought on board a couple of years ago after I geeked out about the concept behind the shells for the Reference Pures. I still do and think it's such a cool concept about using different woods and bearing edges depending on the drums job, I totally love my RefPures to this day - but they were in basic piano black lacquer. But I'll be honest, I wasn't quite yet sold on the fact that I had to wait five months for a 8x12 tom (or if I picked a different color, how much longer that would've taken), or that your only choice was a lacquer to begin with.

I go to NAMM in January and see the Reference and Reference Pure drums in these cool wraps (I'm sort of a vintage drum buff too) and when it's even explained that you can have a set ready to go in 14-days....well let's just say I had to get me some!

So after some hem-hawing about what sizes I wanted and some soul-searching about what I really needed, I ordered a 16x22 bass drum, 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom, and a matching 6.5x14 snare. In Black n' White Oyster no less!

I kept going back and forth about getting smaller drums and more toms, and I kept returning to the fact that I like to listen to bands where those drummers really use and need that much stuff, but I play in bands where that's just not necessary or even practical for me. As a kid growing up, the basic 5 or 4 piece kit from any one of the big four (Ludwig/Slingerland/Rogers/Gretsch) is pretty much all I've ever wanted, and constantly listening to pros who told me, "if you can't say it on 4, then you can't say it" pretty much summed up my entire drumming career. So as I come up on my half-century mark, no point in embarking on some drumming that may or may not require seven or more drums, I'll stick with the basics. Even my first Reference Pure kit took a little getting used to with the 8x12 rack tom and 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms - I don't think I ever met a 14" tom I liked, and this one wasn't an exception. 14" floor toms just feel too small to me. And a single 12" rack tom seems anemic. That was my "what was I thinking" moment with those Reference Pures.

So, I unapologetically ordered a classic 4-piece. The only difference is my bass drum is 2 inches deeper, and I like fat snares. I love the finish, I love the sizes, life will be good.

I was slightly bummed that the new Eliminator Redline pedals aren't available yet - later I'll have to add a single bass drum pedal and that hi-hat to round out my Pearl experience. I'm probably the only person on the planet that didn't grow to like the Demon Drive pedal.

I'll post some pictures and videos when I get my kit. I am counting the days. I figure three weeks: two to build and one to ship!

sticks4drums
02-09-2016, 04:45 AM
This is an exciting day and I have to scream about it somewhere ;)

I was first brought on board a couple of years ago after I geeked out about the concept behind the shells for the Reference Pures. I still do and think it's such a cool concept about using different woods and bearing edges depending on the drums job, I totally love my RefPures to this day - but they were in basic piano black lacquer. But I'll be honest, I wasn't quite yet sold on the fact that I had to wait five months for a 8x12 tom (or if I picked a different color, how much longer that would've taken), or that your only choice was a lacquer to begin with.

I go to NAMM in January and see the Reference and Reference Pure drums in these cool wraps (I'm sort of a vintage drum buff too) and when it's even explained that you can have a set ready to go in 14-days....well let's just say I had to get me some!

So after some hem-hawing about what sizes I wanted and some soul-searching about what I really needed, I ordered a 16x22 bass drum, 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom, and a matching 6.5x14 snare. In Black n' White Oyster no less!

I kept going back and forth about getting smaller drums and more toms, and I kept returning to the fact that I like to listen to bands where those drummers really use and need that much stuff, but I play in bands where that's just not necessary or even practical for me. As a kid growing up, the basic 5 or 4 piece kit from any one of the big four (Ludwig/Slingerland/Rogers/Gretsch) is pretty much all I've ever wanted, and constantly listening to pros who told me, "if you can't say it on 4, then you can't say it" pretty much summed up my entire drumming career. So as I come up on my half-century mark, no point in embarking on some drumming that may or may not require seven or more drums, I'll stick with the basics. Even my first Reference Pure kit took a little getting used to with the 8x12 rack tom and 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms - I don't think I ever met a 14" tom I liked, and this one wasn't an exception. 14" floor toms just feel too small to me. And a single 12" rack tom seems anemic. That was my "what was I thinking" moment with those Reference Pures.

So, I unapologetically ordered a classic 4-piece. The only difference is my bass drum is 2 inches deeper, and I like fat snares. I love the finish, I love the sizes, life will be good.

I was slightly bummed that the new Eliminator Redline pedals aren't available yet - later I'll have to add a single bass drum pedal and that hi-hat to round out my Pearl experience. I'm probably the only person on the planet that didn't grow to like the Demon Drive pedal.

I'll post some pictures and videos when I get my kit. I am counting the days. I figure three weeks: two to build and one to ship!Congratulations Bo. I am sure you will make them sound great, just like all your other kits.

steadypocket
02-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Going to be an awesome kit. Congrats Bo but given your height, you should have gone with a 20"😊. Can't wait for pics!

wsgnst
02-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Can't wait to see these!!

sticks4drums
02-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Going to be an awesome kit. Congrats Bo but given your height, you should have gone with a 20"��. Can't wait for pics!

Maybe he can get blocks for the pedals. :p

G The Drummer
02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
A-w-e-s-o-m-e! :)

keaton_86
02-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Very cool. I'd be interested in a review of how the whole ordering process goes. Keep us filled in.

bo eder
02-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Going to be an awesome kit. Congrats Bo but given your height, you should have gone with a 20"😊. Can't wait for pics!

Well, if I were going with two rack toms on the bass drum, then a 20 makes more sense. But after a lot of soul searching, the important parts are the bass drum being able to shake the walls, and a snare drum that can be both gunshot and fluffy. With one rack tom, it gets low enough for me. I just had to look back on all the years I actually used two rack toms on a gig, and it came out to "not much if at all". I kept thinking I wanted four toms at least, and really dig when others make music with their big kits. I just had to admit to myself that that will never be me. I'm just a 4-piece groover, so I'm finally just going to admit it and do what I do best.

wilo79
02-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Well, if I were going with two rack toms on the bass drum, then a 20 makes more sense. But after a lot of soul searching, the important parts are the bass drum being able to shake the walls, and a snare drum that can be both gunshot and fluffy. With one rack tom, it gets low enough for me. I just had to look back on all the years I actually used two rack toms on a gig, and it came out to "not much if at all". I kept thinking I wanted four toms at least, and really dig when others make music with their big kits. I just had to admit to myself that that will never be me. I'm just a 4-piece groover, so I'm finally just going to admit it and do what I do best. plus you will have less heads to buy! That's probably a bonus in its self lol. I am so Looking forward to seeing this kit :)

rollracer
02-10-2016, 10:03 AM
a first MCC customer here haha!.

the 14 days selling argument is a real attack on this market segment of high end drums. if pearl delivers what has been promised, it'll be a very strong incitative for players looking for a high end kit delivered in an eye blink.

i guess no one else can match such short delivery time frame .

Josh Conover
02-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Sub'd.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. :)

bo eder
02-10-2016, 11:39 AM

the 14 days selling argument is a real attack on this market segment of high end drums. if pearl delivers what has been promised, it'll be a very strong incitative for players looking for a high end kit delivered in an eye blink.

This is what impressed me the most - especially after having to wait 5 months for an 8x12 Reference Pure tom in black to come in from Taiwan on my first kit with Pearl. They're taking my money today so it should out to me by the end of this month. Fingers crossed - but I'm assured Pearl has done everything it can to make good on its promise!

But I must say this - just recently I added a 16x16 floor tom from another famous maker in SoCal, and from the time it was ordered, it was delivered to the shop in four days. I got it in seven only because that was the only day I could drive out to the shop! So if the skilled labor is available, high-end drums can be made as soon as possible.

sticks4drums
02-10-2016, 03:03 PM

Maybe we should wait until they deliver on the promised time, before we sing their praises.

rollracer
02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
This is what impressed me the most - especially after having to wait 5 months for an 8x12 Reference Pure tom in black to come in from Taiwan on my first kit with Pearl. They're taking my money today so it should out to me by the end of this month. Fingers crossed - but I'm assured Pearl has done everything it can to make good on its promise!

But I must say this - just recently I added a 16x16 floor tom from another famous maker in SoCal, and from the time it was ordered, it was delivered to the shop in four days. I got it in seven only because that was the only day I could drive out to the shop! So if the skilled labor is available, high-end drums can be made as soon as possible.

i don't believe any of the big four is able to deliver a custom order of their flagship kit in such short delay . smaller custom drum makers with a lower sale volume can probably turn on a dime.

the '''new''' nashville factory has been settled up for that reason. the MCC concept is dependant of an immediate connection between the writen order and the factory's desk . otherwise it would be very hard to achieve

bo eder
02-11-2016, 12:04 AM
i don't believe any of the big four is able to deliver a custom order of their flagship kit in such short delay . smaller custom drum makers with a lower sale volume can probably turn on a dime, not big corporations like pearl.

the '''new''' nashville factory has been settled up for that reason. the MCC concept is dependant of an immediate connection between the writen order and the factory's desk . otherwise it would be very hard to achieve

So are you saying they can do it? Or no?

rollracer
02-11-2016, 12:19 AM
So are you saying they can do it? Or no?

obviously,now yes.

i see their new facility like a race shop for cars or superbikes ; pearl get the shells ready to receive the parts required on specific orders . i bet they are well tooled in there, they probably can honor any custom orders regarding hardware, sizes-depht and wraps. i'd like to see some pics of the new shop so we can appreciate the effort and faith they put in MCC....i'm myself quite impressed by the controlled ''risks'' they are willing to take with this concept. the reference series is for me quite innovative . mixing woods , thickness and bearing edge differently for each tom to achieve a '''perfect'''' package is kind of visionnary to me. i played the '''original'''' reference recipe in few occasions and each times i thought it sounded perfect with a lot of volume on tap.

bo eder
02-11-2016, 01:17 AM
obviously,now yes.

i see their new facility like a race shop for cars or superbikes ; pearl get the shells ready to receive the parts required on specific orders . i bet they are well tooled in there, they probably can honor any custom orders regarding hardware, sizes-depht and wraps. i'd like to see some pics of the new shop so we can appreciate the effort and faith they put in MCC....i'm myself quite impressed by the controlled ''risks'' they are willing to take with this concept. the reference series is for me quite innovative . mixing woods , thickness and bearing edge differently for each tom to achieve a '''perfect'''' package is kind of visionnary to me. i played the '''original'''' reference recipe in few occasions and each times i thought it sounded perfect with a lot of volume on tap.

Ah. I was a little confused at what you said at first. I was told by Kevin Packard himself Pearl has invested heavily in new CNC machinery and training so their technicians can handle the orders coming in. They would stock the bare shells, then use the CNC to drill, and then apply the wrap. Exciting and busy times ahead for those people!

On the down side, I just saw a Ludwig ad in the December 2015 issue of Modern Drummer where they're saying they can crank out a wrapped Classic Maple kit on demand too with very short wait times. So I think this might be a trend for the majors to get into!

AL PERCIVAL
02-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Once the dealer officially sends in the PO and the PO is entered into the system...... the ticking starts....................... :D

sticks4drums
02-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Mapex has been doing this vary thing for two years now, except with their mid tier shells. I will give Pearl credit though for doing this with their flagship shells. Hopefully it wont cheapen their higher lines. I have said from the inception of the Mapex Mydentity program, that Mapex should do the same thing with their two Saturn shell make ups. You could order a Saturn with a maple/walnut, or a birch/walnut shell. They make their own shells so this would be easy to incorporate into their Mydentity program. I think you are going to see a lot more wrapped drums on the used market, compared to lacquered ones, because of all these programs.

keaton_86
02-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Mapex has been doing this vary thing for two years now, except with their mid tier shells. I will give Pearl credit though for doing this with their flagship shells. Hopefully it wont cheapen their higher lines. I have said from the inception of the Mapex Mydentity program, that Mapex should do the same thing with their two Saturn shell make ups. You could order a Saturn with a maple/walnut, or a birch/walnut shell. They make their own shells so this would be easy to incorporate into their Mydentity program. I think you are going to see a lot more wrapped drums on the used market, compared to lacquered ones, because of all these programs.

Yeah they should do that. There arent enough finishes with the new saturns. The older ones had heaps of options.

LDdrummer
02-11-2016, 03:59 PM
I agree about the options on higher end drums. I liked the MyDentity concept but not the particular shells/hardware options you could get. I like custom options but if I get to pick colors of the finish and hardware, I'd like to have some say about what hardware I am getting too. I'd like to see most manufacturers have an option like this, especially on some of the higher end kits.

drummaman1
02-11-2016, 06:10 PM
The mydentity program was more about price than it was getting a kit out the door in record time, If I'm not mistaken. Sticks, your point of having Mapex offer Saturn shells in addition to what they offer, shell wise, would put the price of the kit in a different category. The point of the mydentity program was to get a custom "pro" drum set for $1000.

The MCC concept is about getting a set of Reference or Ref Pure drums to the customer in 14 business days. I haven't seen pricing, but I'm assuming that it's priced like a Ref/Ref Pure kit. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.

bo eder
02-11-2016, 07:50 PM
The prices are identical to the Reference and Reference Pure lines. This is what makes them so cool for someone like me. Two years ago I told a Pearl guy that those Reference Pure drums would be a big hit if they put them in a wrap. I didn't think they'd actually do it back then ;)

sticks4drums
02-11-2016, 08:53 PM
The mydentity program was more about price than it was getting a kit out the door in record time, If I'm not mistaken. Sticks, your point of having Mapex offer Saturn shells in addition to what they offer, shell wise, would put the price of the kit in a different category. The point of the mydentity program was to get a custom "pro" drum set for $1000.

The MCC concept is about getting a set of Reference or Ref Pure drums to the customer in 14 business days. I haven't seen pricing, but I'm assuming that it's priced like a Ref/Ref Pure kit. It's comparing apples and oranges, really.Same program, different price point.

BadAstronaut
02-12-2016, 06:21 AM
They all copy each other .. Mapex started it, Ludwig got on board with it with quick pic program and now Pearl is in on it

Oh and congrats on order Bo

AL PERCIVAL
02-12-2016, 03:01 PM
tick tick tick....................... his kit ships out mid-next week. :D

rollracer
02-12-2016, 04:33 PM

amazing.....and fast,

Genius Switch
02-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Curious...who cuts the edges? Nashville or Japan?

Also I thought Pearl had, at one time, a powder coating operation in Nashville for custom marching drums. Imagine the possibilities.....

bo eder
02-13-2016, 12:39 AM

I have faith in the folks at Pearl! Exciting! It's gonna be Christmas in February! I ordered my Hybrid Exotic cast aluminum snare too so hopefully that'll show up around the same time! Awesome - I can't wait to start using it!

AL PERCIVAL
02-13-2016, 08:40 AM
I have faith in the folks at Pearl! Exciting! It's gonna be Christmas in February! I ordered my Hybrid Exotic cast aluminum snare too so hopefully that'll show up around the same time! Awesome - I can't wait to start using it!

You'll love the kit and snare (Great choice!). Please post pics when you get it. Congratulations!

AL PERCIVAL
02-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Curious...who cuts the edges? Nashville or Japan?

Also I thought Pearl had, at one time, a powder coating operation in Nashville for custom marching drums. Imagine the possibilities.....

From what I've seen the shells are raw so the work is done here in Nashville for Music City Custon.

and yes imagine the possibilities... More to come soon! :D

Linchdrums
06-18-2016, 03:08 AM
So if I put in an order from here (Australia) then I'll be able to get a MCC pretty quick then?

Once the dealer officially sends in the PO and the PO is entered into the system...... the ticking starts....................... :D

Pearlplayer1990
06-18-2016, 06:57 AM

I got the rare privilege as a Fan of Shinedown this past May at a concert in Scaghticoke NY to see up close Barry Kerch's Reference Shell Music City custom with Ref pure tube lugs and I must say Pearl really raised the bar on this idea... However I do wish they were more affordable.... Here is Barry's music city custom the first ever artist endorsed set that was produced.

Pearl Reference Music City Custom Pewter Abalone w/ Tube Lugs

22x18 Kick
13x9 tom
18x16 floor tom
16 x16 floor tom
20x14 gong bass
12x5 firecracker (black finish)
14x6.5 Sensitone Premium Beaded Brass Snare
26x15 Aux kick slaved off a demon drive pedal that was modified to a single beater.

Was absolutely amazing to see this kit up close and sit behind it... I hope next time I get to see Barry I'll get to play it.. Would be a dream come true..

Bri6366
06-18-2016, 03:12 PM
On the down side, I just saw a Ludwig ad in the December 2015 issue of Modern Drummer where they're saying they can crank out a wrapped Classic Maple kit on demand too with very short wait times. So I think this might be a trend for the majors to get into!

It's not a new concept. Years back Gretsch had a shell bank of USA Customs in popular sizes and colors ready to ship.

bo eder
06-19-2016, 01:04 AM

... However I do wish they were more affordable....

Looking at the price listings, I think the prices are where they should be. For drums this great, the finish options, and the speed with which they get to you makes them a serious deal for a player looking for top-notch drums. I'm not sure they should be any cheaper. If you want cheaper, that's why there's the Masters Series, the Sessions, etc.,....

Pearlplayer1990
06-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Looking at the price listings, I think the prices are where they should be. For drums this great, the finish options, and the speed with which they get to you makes them a serious deal for a player looking for top-notch drums. I'm not sure they should be any cheaper. If you want cheaper, that's why there's the Masters Series, the Sessions, etc.,....

How would you know where the price point should be.. Your endorsed you probably don't pay a damn thing for ur kits....

Josh Conover
06-20-2016, 12:26 AM

Agreed. If you want something of lesser quality (or just different in general) you have other, less custom, options. OR, you can get a Mydentity kit from Mapex.

How would you know where the price point should be.. Your endorsed you probably don't pay a damn thing for ur kits....

That's ridiculous, I seriously doubt that's the case. Maybe you don't understand how endorsements work?

Why should they be cheaper? They are the same price as regular Ref, and Ref Pures. But with the added bonus of custom sizes and wraps in a short turn around period.

quicksticks
06-20-2016, 08:43 AM

This could be one of the most ridiculous things you've said. First, Bo is an experienced drummer who is aware of the price of high end quality kits. Pearl basis it's prices on several factors which are:
1. The cost of the materials.
2. Labor, overhead, and shipping costs.
3. Cost analysis of other drum companies' similar products.
4. Reasonable profit for Pearl Corporation and their dealers.

Also, the drummer is not endorsed by the drum company. The drummer is the endorser.

A while back you said you can build a kit 10X better than the MCC's at a fraction of the price. I sincerely doubt it as you don't have the state of the art bearing edge equipment and a CNC drilling machine.

Lastly, why can't you just be a respectful PDF member and end the insults and vulgarities that seem to be all too common in your posts.

Pearlplayer1990
06-20-2016, 09:51 AM
This could be one of the most ridiculous things you've said. First, Bo is an experienced drummer who is aware of the price of high end quality kits. Pearl basis it's prices on several factors which are:
1. The cost of the materials.
2. Labor, overhead, and shipping costs.
3. Cost analysis of other drum companies' similar products.
4. Reasonable profit for Pearl Corporation and their dealers.

Also, the drummer is not endorsed by the drum company. The drummer is the endorser.

A while back you said you can build a kit 10X better than the MCC's at a fraction of the price. I sincerely doubt it as you don't have the state of the art bearing edge equipment and a CNC drilling machine.

Lastly, why can't you just be a respectful PDF member and end the insults and vulgarities that seem to be all too common in your posts.

The same reason why nobody ever backs off me about Barry Kerch. You show me respect you get respect. The minute you act like a clown and harass,bully or talk trash you awoke the beast...

Oh.. And by the way I have 17 years as a drummer experience. What are you trying say Bo is an experienced drummer? What does that make me a rookie...

quicksticks
06-20-2016, 10:13 AM
The same reason why nobody ever backs off me about Barry Kerch. You show me respect you get respect. The minute you act like a clown and harass,bully or talk trash you awoke the beast... The only person that keeps talking about Barry Kerch is you. Neither I nor anyone else has mentioned his name in this thread. I was 100% respectful in my response to you and tried to explain how Pearl arrives at their price point. Please explain exactly what I or anyone said that was "clown" like, harassing or bullying. A few weeks ago you made a racist remark that the mods had to delete. You repeatedly use vulgarities in your posts and insult others. If you want people to respect you, all you have to do is act respectfully. If this were your thread, you would probably be deleting it about now as that is what you have done time and time again when you realize that you've said some things that you shouldn't have said. Take a breath and think before responding. There is no conspiracy against you. No one cares about the past. It's gone. It's how you act now that people will judge you. Threatening people with "beast" is just wrong. It sound like something out of a video game. Bo studied drumming in college and has been playing professionally for more years than you've been alive. You are not in his league, not even close. Lastly, I think if you look carefully, all of Pearl's products are priced very competitively.