PDA

View Full Version : Masters Maple Complete Series

Derek Wolfford
01-18-2016, 10:21 AM
Attendees of the Guitar Center Drum-Off were the first to hear our new Masters Maple Complete Series... more details will be revealed at the NAMM Show.

MWRushR40
01-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Interesting! Need more!

LDdrummer
01-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Oh wow. Very glad to see the Masters lives on!

croomz
01-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Do tell!

nova
01-18-2016, 01:54 PM
We would like more information please!

Groketor
01-18-2016, 02:09 PM
So they discontinued both MCX and BCX series. Not sure if I like this but more information needed.

AL PERCIVAL
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
We would like more information please!

Check in at NOON CST Thursday 1/21 for full info on the Masters Complete Series

MWRushR40
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
and BCX series

Ha... well that was short lived.

Groketor
01-18-2016, 02:33 PM
Ha... well that was short lived.

Luckily I got mine..

G The Drummer
01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Really hope there will be a Birch version! :)

BadAstronaut
01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
I see a new badge and either super-hoops or fat-tone hoops on toms/floor .. hmmmm

Labambawarrior
01-18-2016, 06:48 PM
I like the shallow tom depth. Yes, hopefully available in birch.

Eliminator
01-18-2016, 09:09 PM
"Complete"

Wonder what that implies.....?

Master88
01-19-2016, 02:07 AM
Still... Unfinished bass drum hoops.. Never understood that one.

MWRushR40
01-19-2016, 03:41 AM
Still... Unfinished bass drum hoops.. Never understood that one.

Agreed. Probably the single factor that always deterred me from wanting to buy one.

keaton_86
01-19-2016, 03:49 AM
Agreed. Probably the single factor that always deterred me from wanting to buy one.

x2

Labambawarrior
01-19-2016, 06:04 AM

Me to. Other companies have 'pro kits' with fully finished hoops and still have reasonable price points. Just don't get the unfinished hoops.

croomz
01-19-2016, 06:46 AM
Only takes a few more minutes to finish them....come on drum makers

quicksticks
01-19-2016, 12:59 PM
So it seems that if you want fully finished BD hoops, or die cast hoops on your toms, you have to move up to Reference. I'll be curious to see how these are priced. Less expensive hoops will probably result in an increase in price. The MCX's were a lot of bang for your buck. I'm usually not a fan of green drums, but that green sparkle is mighty nice.

LDdrummer
01-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I like fully finished bass hoops as well. It's one of the things I dislike about DW...80+% of their kits have these hoops. Some finishes it does look good on, but that's a small amount.

Hopefully we will know how Pearl's new lineup shakes out soon.

'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Complete is in the name but the bass hoops look incomplete.

Labambawarrior
01-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Funny. Pearl hasn't even officially released this series yet and are getting a rash of s*** for the unfinished hoops. Its not like this is the first time this topic has come up about the dislike of unfinished hoops. Seems like a pretty simple fix that I'm sure would not add to much to the cost. I don't understand why the folks at Pearl don't see this minor issue that makes a huge visual difference and fix it. Oh well. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait a few days to see what this kit is really all about.

scooterdavis
01-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Nobody likes birch.

scooterdavis
01-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Luckily my MCX had finished hoops; my SSC didn't and I thought it looked ugly. I'm totally with you all on the finished hoops. I guess businesses will find ANY way to cut corners to increase their bottom line these days...

Paiste402
01-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Wow the BCX is being discontinued already? Any official release on this?

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 01:28 AM
Nobody likes birch. You have a SSC and you don't like birch?! Half of it is birch! :)

steadypocket
01-20-2016, 05:00 AM
Wow the BCX is being discontinued already? Any official release on this?

I've yet to see anything official from Pearl. Just some guys speculating MCX and BCX are terminal because they're launching the new Complete line. Perhaps this is a case of addition rather than substitution? NAMM opens tomorrow so we'll know soon enough. If anything, I expected to see additional BCX finishes unveiled.

MWRushR40
01-20-2016, 05:14 AM
I've yet to see anything official from Pearl. Just some guys speculating MCX and BCX are terminal because they're launching the new Complete line. Perhaps this is a case of addition rather than substitution? NAMM opens tomorrow so we'll know soon enough. If anything, I expected to see additional BCX finishes unveiled.

Al did mention in one of his posts somewhere, after a member speculated the MCX/BCX being discontinued, that we could still special order add ons for them, but not complete shell packs. I think their fate might be sealed.

Paiste402
01-20-2016, 05:32 AM

Safer to think that they are axing them as if it was an addition there would be way WAY too many product lines of the same gear under the Pearl badge.

Jutt8
01-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Wondering what the whole "complete" part of the series means. Looks like an oval badge like reference too. Pearl is always changing things up, so this discontinuation of a series here and a series there is nothing new : ). They've been doing that for over 20 years. The great thing about Pearl is that they have always been great about letting you add-on drums for your kit even if it was discontinued.

Slow95Cobra
01-20-2016, 07:46 AM
I don't see reinforcement rings... So I'm assuming 6 ply maple kit again?

Groketor
01-20-2016, 07:56 AM
I don't see reinforcement rings... So I'm assuming 6 ply maple kit again?

That is what I think too. Hopefully these new Masters are more than MCX with Fat Tone or Super Hoops.

Some may disagree but oh the golden times when there were series called Pearl Masters Custom and Pearl Masters Studio.

E: Hmm. It would be interesting if there are 6 ply 7,5 mm, 6 ply 5.4 mm, 4 ply 5 mm + re rings Maple and 6 ply 7,5 mm birch shells available these new Masters.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Al did mention in one of his posts somewhere, after a member speculated the MCX/BCX being discontinued, that we could still special order add ons for them, but not complete shell packs. I think their fate might be sealed. For some reason, that post was deleted! :)

Groketor
01-20-2016, 08:03 AM
For some reason, that post was deleted! :)

Well, not official but..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-BCX-Masters-Lava-Bubinga-14x5-5-Snare-NEW-Discontinued-for-2016-Worldship-/351629051393?hash=item51deb98601:g:lccAAOSwcBhWa2Z v

phips
01-20-2016, 08:24 AM
E: Hmm. It would be interesting if there are 6 ply 7,5 mm, 6 ply 5.4 mm, 4 ply 5 mm + re rings Maple and 6 ply 7,5 mm birch shells available these new Masters.

This would be great news. 6 ply kits are nice, but I don't want to have to order a Masterworks, to get a 1 wood, thin shell kit.

opus138
01-20-2016, 08:42 AM
...hopefully available in birch.
It would be interesting if there are 6 ply 7,5 mm, 6 ply 5.4 mm, 4 ply 5 mm + re rings Maple and 6 ply 7,5 mm birch shells available these new Masters.

:confused:

Masters Maple Complete Series

BadAstronaut
01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
When I saw title for Masters forum section it said this .. "Discussions about all pre-2016 Masters Series drums."

So that right there says the Masters you once knew (MCX,BCX) are no longer .... whatever this new Masters Maple Complete series is we shall find out tomorrow

If Birch Masters aren't an option this year then it's safe to assume that Pearl Birch kit sales didn't meet the quota .. why keep a line that isn't selling/meeting quota? .. it's all about numbers at the end of the day guys. Business is business. Money is money.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
... :confused: ... Masters Maple Complete Series Doesn't mean there won't be a Masters BIRCH Complete! :D

BadAstronaut
01-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Doesn't mean there won't be a Masters BIRCH Complete! :Dyeah but if there was one it would have it's own forum like this new Masters maple complete that showed up here out of the blue one day.

But don't worry ... I'm sure if it's not offered this year then it will be offered next year .. test the waters with new series and bring in the birch version later .. then again I'm sure people are gonna be boo-hoo-in over this if it's true so that will play a part in offering BCT series .. haha

Jutt8
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Doesn't mean there won't be a Masters BIRCH Complete! :D

That will likely come later (a year or two from now) when there is something new to introduce at NAMM to quiet all the complaints about not having a high end birch option.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 10:26 AM
That will likely come later (a year or two from now) when there is something new to introduce at NAMM to quiet all the complaints about not having a high end birch option. Ahh, I see, good point! :)

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 10:33 AM
yeah but if there was one it would have it's own forum like this new Masters maple complete that showed up here out of the blue one day. But don't worry ... I'm sure if it's not offered this year then it will be offered next year .. test the waters with new series and bring in the birch version later .. then again I'm sure people are gonna be boo-hoo-in over this if it's true so that will play a part in offering BCT series .. haha Yeah good point! ;) I sure hope that they release a Birch version sooner or later :)

opus138
01-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah, 'high end' birch was so popular they've discontinued the BCX two years after introducing it.

The market speaks, companies listen.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah, 'high end' birch was so popular they've discontinued the BCX two years after introducing it.

I agree. I just really want a nice all Birch Pearl kit... I might have to save up for a Masterworks! :)

2 basses4life
01-20-2016, 11:14 AM
im not loving the old style opis , and floor tom mounts it looks more like , they change the names of both series......dang ...i was hoping we were getting a reincarnated premium series ..

Jutt8
01-20-2016, 11:18 AM
I agree. I just really want a nice all Birch Pearl kit... I might have to save up for a Masterworks! :)

You could special order a Masters Premium (BMP or BRP) birch kit in either 4 ply with rings or 6 ply now if you wanted. It will be costly, but not sure how costly compared to MW. They come with the aluminum optimounts, reference and masterworks floor tom brackets and kick drum spurs, and golden ratio air vents. They are fantastic kits and about as high end birch as you're going to find. You can click my sig to look at the one I have in natural birch if you want.

LDdrummer
01-20-2016, 12:12 PM

I agree, you have to follow the laws of supply and demand or you go out of business. I love birch kits, I think they sound great....I would own one in a heartbeat, but I like maple just a little bit better. Given the choice if, if price were not a factor I would choose the maple. Birch has typically been cheaper in most cases, so you can get great drums with great sound at a slightly cheaper price. I know the differences in sound exist, but unless all you do is studio work, in most live situations the subtle differences get lost. Back to point, if they are not offering them, it's not because they don't want to offer a nice birch kit, they just can't sell enough to justify it.

Also....if I was in the market for a nice birch kit, I would just get the Session Studio Classics....I know they are not 100% birch, but they sound very similar to all birch shells, and given they are around 600-700 cheaper than a Masters birch, that is the route I would take.

Michael....you went from a Masters birch to a Starclassic Maple....what's your 10 second opinion about the different materials?

opus138
01-20-2016, 12:49 PM
I agree, you have to follow the laws of supply and demand or you go out of business. I love birch kits, I think they sound great....I would own one in a heartbeat, but I like maple just a little bit better. Given the choice if, if price were not a factor I would choose the maple. Birch has typically been cheaper in most cases, so you can get great drums with great sound at a slightly cheaper price. I know the differences in sound exist, but unless all you do is studio work, in most live situations the subtle differences get lost. Back to point, if they are not offering them, it's not because they don't want to offer a nice birch kit, they just can't sell enough to justify it.

Also....if I was in the market for a nice birch kit, I would just get the Session Studio Classics....I know they are not 100% birch, but they sound very similar to all birch shells, and given they are around 600-700 cheaper than a Masters birch, that is the route I would take.

Michael....you went from a Masters birch to a Starclassic Maple....what's your 10 second opinion about the different materials?

Going from a thicker BRX to the thin-shelled SCM, the difference is probably exactly what you'd expect -- the BRX had a good amount of attack and punch. You could get a head/tuning combo to increase the warmth, but they were never warm, if that makes sense. The SCMs are pretty much straight warmth, the toms just absolutely sing. I think head tuning can really add punch as needed, moreso than warmth can be added to the BRXs.

The BRXs gave a great sound, but for my ear at this moment in life the warmth of the SCMs is what I want.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Going from a thicker BRX to the thin-shelled SCM, the difference is probably exactly what you'd expect -- the BRX had a good amount of attack and punch. You could get a head/tuning combo to increase the warmth, but they were never warm, if that makes sense. The SCMs are pretty much straight warmth, the toms just absolutely sing. I think head tuning can really add punch as needed, moreso than warmth can be added to the BRXs.

The BRXs gave a great sound, but for my ear at this moment in life the warmth of the SCMs is what I want.

I'm looking for the opposite! :) I want a drum with a lot of atack and a nice punch... That's why I was considering Birch. Might reconsider Maple though... Do you think like a 6 ply Maple kit would be able to get a nice low end punch and atack?

Groketor
01-20-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm looking for the opposite! :) I want a drum with a lot of atack and a nice punch... That's why I was considering Birch. Might reconsider Maple though... Do you think like a 6 ply Maple kit would be able to get a nice low end punch and atack?

I have own both MCX and BCX kits. Difference between them can be heard. BCX have more punchy sound. Wether you like it or not. I like it. I tried BRX kit and I was immediately sold by the sound of birch. So I went with BCX kit as same specs as BRX

LDdrummer
01-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Same here, I prefer the warmth of maple. I would have been happy with birch but I am glad I got a killer deal on a maple instead. Most all my favorite drum sounds over the years have been maple kits, so it just made sense. My floor is a 16x16 and the tone and resonance of it is just unbelievable.

I agree with Opus....it is easier to get punch and attack from maple with a proper head selection and tuning than it is to add warmth and tone. I went through the same thing with my Exports. I could get a very nice sound, but no matter what it never had the same fullness and warmth that maple does...it's just the physical nature of the woods. Good example....on my Exports, to get a nice warm/low sound I had to use a 2 ply batter on my kick. Right now I have more warmth and low end from a 1 ply batter on my MRP than I ever got with the 2 ply on the exports. Now I know solid birch shells will sound much better than Export kicks, and I have heard a lot of birch kicks that have a great low end and punch. It's just an apples and oranges comparison. But taking price and any other variables out, i would choose the maple personally.

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I might save up for a Reference, they are just amazing! Love the combination of African Mahogany and Maple for the lower toms and Birch and Maple for the Higher ones! And for now, I can try to tweak with my Exports and maybe add some more toms :)

G The Drummer
01-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Really hope they don't discontinue the References, I really prefer them to the Pures.

Derek Wolfford
01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Here's a closer look at the Masters Maple Complete Series first seen at the Guitar Center Drum-Off... more details will be revealed at the NAMM Show tomorrow.

#348 Absinthe Sparkle finish - NEW for 2016!

opus138
01-20-2016, 04:26 PM
So much for the prediction of a less, shall we say, visually unappealing tom mount :(. As Cub fans say, there's always next year :)

steadypocket
01-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Judging by the number of members here that have BCX kits, I assumed they were selling well. Yes, I realize this is a Pearl board but still.

bean
01-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL.

Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled.

When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.

bean
01-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL.

Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled.

When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.

This is the 6.5 X 14 birch snare

Jutt8
01-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Well I am glad I just got all the drums I need for my BCX kit today .... LOL. Although I think I will be sending my 6.5 X 14 BCX Birch snare back ..... it sounded so LAME at practice tonight. Very disappointed. My Mapex Daisy Cutter just sparkled. When I tuned the BCX snare it only took two half turns with those die cast hoops and the heads were pretty tight. Sounded dry and weak. Stock heads (Ambassadors) left on the snare.

That's surprising with that depth. I have basically same snare in a 14x5.5 and it sounds great!! I have the bottom head pretty tight. I also use a tiny piece of gel on the batter if its ambassador weight. Maybe try it in a different room.

Jutt8
01-21-2016, 07:13 AM
So much for the prediction of a less, shall we say, visually unappealing tom mount :(. As Cub fans say, there's always next year :)
Badge looks like a hybrid badge between the wood fiberglass badge and reference pure badge with the masters name. I liked the previous badges well enough although most people complained about those too: )

bean
01-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Did you say that you use an ambassador head on both sides of that BC x14 by 6 1/2 snare? How many turns did you turn the bottom lugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums

BadAstronaut
01-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Did you say that you use an ambassador head on both sides of that BC x14 by 6 1/2 snare? How many turns did you turn the bottom lugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drumshe didn't .. he said if he uses an ambassdor weight head on batter he puts a piece off moongel on it

Jutt8
01-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums

I do have a coated ambassador on my birch snare. I use that same head on all of my snares. Not sure how many turns on the bottom head. It's pretty tight, just above medium tension probably. The die cast rims are VERY sensitive to the smallest turn. No reason you can't get a killer sound out of that 7.5 mm 14x6.5 snare.

G The Drummer
01-21-2016, 09:14 AM
SuperHoops! :)

BadAstronaut
01-21-2016, 10:30 AM
SuperHoops! :)yeah .. we saw that in post #54 :)

TWH
01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
The MMX is back...........well sort of:)

And they have fully finished hoops?

Good move Pearl!

scooterdavis
01-21-2016, 01:23 PM
You have a SSC and you don't like birch?! Half of it is birch! :)

It's long sold.

scooterdavis
01-21-2016, 01:29 PM
That will likely come later (a year or two from now) when there is something new to introduce at NAMM to quiet all the complaints about not having a high end birch option.

Nobody wants birch.

livingstone
01-21-2016, 06:09 PM

I agree. I can't see Pearl discontinuing a highly popular series, at least not without replacing it with a new model. It seems like a lot of people like the idea of birch, but the sales must not be there. The maple masters is always around in different variations. I think Pearl's bread and butter is the export series, a decent mid level series (session, vision etc), and the maple masters.

Jutt8
01-21-2016, 07:22 PM
Nobody wants birch.
You might change your mind if you haven't heard 4 ply birch shells with 4 ply birch rings. They sound superb!

BadAstronaut
01-21-2016, 08:27 PM
You might change your mind if you haven't heard 4 ply birch shells with 4 ply birch rings. They sound superb!yep! .. they sound like an MMX .. but cheaper

Customdrumowner
01-21-2016, 11:58 PM
I glad I decided to order a BCX kit. I wanted something different since I already have a maple kit.

Can't wait to get this kit although I will have to wait 6 months :(

scooterdavis
01-25-2016, 01:29 AM
You might change your mind if you haven't heard 4 ply birch shells with 4 ply birch rings. They sound superb!

Those and the 4 ply maple are some of Pearls best work.

CUZNRED
06-01-2018, 08:36 AM
a masters complete birch or mahogany kit would be killer