PDA

View Full Version : Reference Pure with BB3 Tom Mount?

sarasotadrums
04-27-2015, 12:11 PM
I’m a new member. I searched and have found nothing relating to my question.
Are there any Ref Pure owners who use the BB3 bass drum tom mount to hold their toms?
I have multiple kits, all with bass drum mounted tom mounts. I have a new Ref Pure set with a ‘virgin’ bass. To date, I have found that hanging my two small toms off of stands requires more hardware, which weighs more, takes more time to setup and “bounces” on many stages. I am seriously considering ‘drilling’ my 18x22 Ref Pure bass drum for a BB3 mount and was curious about the reaction and ‘guidance’ I might receive on this forum. Thanks for any/all input.

thismercifulfate
04-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Folks are going to whine, but it's your drum set and practicality trumps some fantasy ideal and interwebs forum bragging rights any day. Go for it!

Big King
04-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Are there any Ref Pure owners who use the BB3 bass drum tom mount to hold their toms?
I have multiple kits, all with bass drum mounted tom mounts. I have a new Ref Pure set with a ‘virgin’ bass. To date, I have found that hanging my two small toms off of stands requires more hardware, which weighs more, takes more time to setup and “bounces” on many stages. I am seriously considering ‘drilling’ my 18x22 Ref Pure bass drum for a BB3 mount and was curious about the reaction and ‘guidance’ I might receive on this forum. Thanks for any/all input.

I have often wanted a BB3 mount on my higher end kits. It makes setup so much quicker and compact. I use my Export bass drum with a BB3 mount with a MHX tom and floor tom when I gig live because I can mount the tom and a ride cymbal directly on the bass and it still sounds awesome for live gigging. I do not do that for studio use though. I'd say go ahead and drill that drum if it suits your purpose. But remember, you can't reverse it. And you will loose a bit of resonance in the overall tone. Not much, but some. Maybe find a bass drum from a different pearl line in the same finish with a BB3 mount and try that out before you make a lady out of that reference pure and devirginize her.

Derek Wolfford
04-27-2015, 02:34 PM

There's nothing wrong with customizing your kit to fit your needs but unless you feel 100% in the positioning/drilling of the BB3, get a pro to do it for you. Most drum shops will offer this service so check with your local dealers. http://pearldrum.com/dealers/

rockerguy211
04-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Personally I can't mount toms on a kick drum comfortably. Even when I use a 1 up set up. But if you can get them where you need them then go for it. I've never noticed a different sound between virgin/non kicks but some people swear by it. At the end of the day it's your kit; you paid for it.

sarasotadrums
04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
To all who replied, thanks for your thoughts. You all basically confirmed the conclusions I had already come to. I installed the BB3 today and am glad I am beyond the "OMG, I'm drilling a virgin bass!" syndrome. I really was expecting to hear that I was crazy for even thinking about 'violating' the bass drum. I did the same thing with my MCX kit a couple of years ago and it's been great. Thanks again

Derek Wolfford
04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
To all who replied, thanks for your thoughts. You all basically confirmed the conclusions I had already come to. I installed the BB3 today and am glad I am beyond the "OMG, I'm drilling a virgin bass!" syndrome. I really was expecting to hear that I was crazy for even thinking about 'violating' the bass drum. I did the same thing with my MCX kit a couple of years ago and it's been great. Thanks again

The only thing left now is to post the pictures... :)

rockerguy211
04-28-2015, 08:26 PM
The only thing left now is to post the pictures... :)

+1

MusicMan
04-29-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi Sarasota,

Here's a picture of my Reference Pure "Metro Gig Pro" custom kit which has a BT-3 mount in the bass drum. It is a lot easier to use and I haven't noticed any loss of sound quality with either the bass drum or the tom tom.

Of course, the main reason I did it with this custom kit is because it is a "street kit" and thus needed to have a minimal footprint (and it only requires one tom tom).

Specs are: 16x16 kick, 10x13 floor tom, 6x10 tom, 5x12 snare drum.

FishCaper9
05-26-2015, 12:59 AM
I agree, most stage setups at your average nightclub are not well suited to easy set up and stability. I don't know how skilled you are at woodwork, but there is no way I would trust myself enough to drill into my very expense reference kit, so a pro drum shop would is a must. I don't think it will make a big difference in the sound, but you also could look into getting a better mount/stand system. I use the optimount with tom arm into the base of a cymbal hardware stand for my 12 inch tom and I have never had any problems with stability