PDA

View Full Version : Shell durability question

danakin2
04-11-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm looking at the 20", 12", 14" configuration but I'm concerned about acrylic and temperature changes.
Pearl doesn't offer the lifetime warranty on Crystal Beat shells; it's limited to 2 years.
I keep my current kit at a rehearsal space and the temperatures can fluctuate from the mid 40's to the high 80's - Toronto weather.

My question is: have these shells proven themselves resistant to normal weather changes?
I would keep these in Protection Racket cases and wonder if that would also help their resistance.

I know these shells are seamless, unlike Ludwig's offerings.

The bottom line is whether these can be gigged with relatively stress free.

Thanks!

davezedlee
04-11-2015, 03:45 PM
The temperatures won't be a problem, but acrylic is prone to cracking... and wouldn't be my first choice for regular gigging

So long as the shells aren't dropped, you should be fine

dale w miller
04-12-2015, 03:30 AM
From my experience, acrylic is not affected by the weather unlike wood. It does not expand and contract. My acrylic kit was what I have used on many tours intentionally for that reason. Going from cold vans to warm clubs to warm vans to cold clubs can be hard on the drums especially when leaving the drums in the van for extended periods of time.

You do have to be careful not to drop them, but other than that I have seen no issue with durability. Again, I've had them on many tours since I got them in '03, touring as much as 3.5 months a year with them. Be sure you carry them yourself if that really worries you.