PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Beat vs Tama Silverstar Mirage

wsgnst
02-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Somehow I missed hearing about Tama's new Silverstar Mirage kit until today.

It's priced the same as the Crystal Beat but it also comes with a matching snare.

The battle of midline acrylic kits is ON!

Has anyone seen both kits in person? any thought on which has the better build quality?
I like the "free" snare with the Tama, but the clear bass hoops on the Pearl are pretty awesome.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/japan/news/product_news/2014/mirage/index.html

Rhythm Devil
02-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I like the Star tom mounts for flanged hoops. Is that new?

wsgnst
02-05-2015, 09:31 PM
If it's the same as on the regular Silverstar, it's been out a few years. It's basically just a regular RIMS-Style system, not like the Starcast system that clips to the rims like on the rockstar a number of years ago.

Rhythm Devil
02-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I see. They do look good, though.

pearlygates
02-06-2015, 09:48 PM
I haven't seen the Tama offering, but I got up close and personal with a tangerine tint crystal beat 1up, 2down.. No snare included, but it sounded absolute aces!

wsgnst
02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
I think the clear acrylic bass hoop really gives the Pearl a great finished look that beats the look of the DW Design series and Tama Silverstar Mirage.

chilledbongo
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
that's a really fugly mount system on the tama.....looks like it's painted black? yuck.

nik12
02-12-2015, 09:44 AM
I like the Star tom mounts for flanged hoops. Is that new?
Turn-of-the-millennium Rockstar kits had Starcast Mounts and Trip-Flanges using rim clips.

If it's the same as on the regular Silverstar, it's been out a few years. It's basically just a regular RIMS-Style system, not like the Starcast system that clips to the rims like on the rockstar a number of years ago.
This.

MitchLyons
02-12-2015, 11:11 AM
I'd definitely go with Crystal Beats. I like the Opti/tube system (not a common opinion, I know) more than the L-rod system, the kick spurs on the Mirage's don't look nearly as sturdy as the ones on the Crystal Beats, and I like the sizes of the Pearls more.

opus138
02-12-2015, 01:06 PM
that's a really fugly mount system on the tama.....looks like it's painted black? yuck.

opus138
02-12-2015, 01:19 PM
As for the topic: Crystal Beat vs Tama Silverstar Mirage? Key differences appear to be price, bass drum hoops, bass drum spurs, tom mounting, and snare (or lack thereof). Take your pick. Personally, I like the Pearl bass drum features and the Tama tom mounts. The Tama snare looks cheap, and the Pearl snare doesn't exist. The tama is more cost-friendly.

Conclusion? Neither...

chilledbongo
02-12-2015, 03:19 PM
http://crushdrum.com/drumsets/acrylic-series/

sticks4drums
02-12-2015, 04:40 PM
http://crushdrum.com/drumsets/acrylic-series/

I would say Crush for the win. Same seamless shells, same bearing edges as the Pearl. Best looking mounting system of the three. Clear hoops like the Pearl. Cool badges.

sticks4drums
02-12-2015, 04:42 PM

But then so does the opti look cheap black. Kind of like I put it together in my basement.

opus138
02-12-2015, 04:44 PM
I would say Crush for the win. Same seamless shells, same bearing edges as the Pearl. Best looking mounting system of the three. Clear hoops like the Pearl. Cool badges.

I think you're spot on, though I think the Tama mounting is better. If adding Crush to the mix, they'd be my choice.

HiFiBri
02-12-2015, 08:29 PM

I love Pearl, so sorry to say this...but I heard from the most reliable source that Pearl and Crush use the same source/manufacturer for the acrylic kits.

wsgnst
02-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Buy a Crush drumset? I don't think so...

nik12
02-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Crush Acrylic would be my choice as well. Then Pearl. Then Tama.

sticks4drums
02-13-2015, 07:16 AM
I love Pearl, so sorry to say this...but I heard from the most reliable source that Pearl and Crush use the same source/manufacturer for the acrylic kits.

I don't doubt it, but I would still pick the Crush for the reasons I mentioned. Pearl also mentioned on here that they make their own shells. So does that mean they are making the Crush shells as well?

dale w miller
02-13-2015, 07:20 AM
After about 10yrs or so since its rebirth, I'm surprised acrylics are still being made. I believe they have lasted longer this time around than when they were first introduced. I guess the endurance of the shells compared to those of the 70's is a big reason why.

sticks4drums
02-13-2015, 07:43 AM
After about 10yrs or so since its rebirth, I'm surprised acrylics are still being made. I believe they have lasted longer this time around than when they were first introduced. I guess the endurance of the shells compared to those of the 70's is a big reason why.

I think they are smart to make them, then pull them for a while. It peaks the interest for them.

dale w miller
02-13-2015, 07:54 AM
I think they are smart to make them, then pull them for a while. It peaks the interest for them.

Perhaps, but if sales are steady there is no reason.

pearlygates
02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
I love Pearl, so sorry to say this...but I heard from the most reliable source that Pearl and Crush use the same source/manufacturer for the acrylic kits. Al mentioned that Pearl shell are made by Pearl so... Unless your most reliable source knows something Al doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums

nik12
02-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Made by Pearl Acrylics. No affiliation with Pearl Drums, Pearl Graphics Design, or King's Pearl Chinese Restaurant.

chilledbongo
02-13-2015, 11:56 AM
in real life, I haven't actually witnessed anyone playing an acrylic kit......they are not very common out there.....my idea would be to maybe incorporate one acrylic piece into a kit, such as a snare...or a kick only.....to my eyes, an entire acrylic kit looks a bit much......like bonzo called from 1978 and wants his acrylic kit back....:rolleyes:

MitchLyons
02-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I'd still go with the Pearl because of the sizes. I love the shorter depths.

tay7x
02-13-2015, 01:10 PM
I still love my crush just as much as the first day i got them. Short depths, and they make the elusive 8x6 tom everyone craves.

wsgnst
02-13-2015, 06:17 PM
The Tama snare looks cheap, and the Pearl snare doesn't exist. .

I also thought the Tama snare looked cheap. Can't put my finger on why...lightweight looking hardware I guess.

big daddy cool
02-13-2015, 09:05 PM
If PMI would release to crystal beat the option of 24 and 26 kicks. This thread would be a fart in the wind. Pearl would OWN everyone!!!!!#

dale w miller
02-14-2015, 05:55 AM
If PMI would release to crystal beat the option of 24 and 26 kicks. This thread would be a fart in the wind. Pearl would OWN everyone!!!!!#

You could get those sizes for years by many other companies.

Ludwig2010
02-14-2015, 09:33 AM
I still love my crush just as much as the first day i got them. Short depths, and they make the elusive 8x6 tom everyone craves.

That's a beautiful kit!

I loved my Crush kit, people were amazed at the sound of them. Ended up selling them, but kept the 12" tom just cause it sounded so amazing. Might pick up another one.

nova
03-03-2015, 10:22 PM
in real life, I haven't actually witnessed anyone playing an acrylic kit......they are not very common out there.....my idea would be to maybe incorporate one acrylic piece into a kit, such as a snare...or a kick only.....to my eyes, an entire acrylic kit looks a bit much......like bonzo called from 1978 and wants his acrylic kit back....:rolleyes:

I saw Led Zeppelin and John Bonham played his Orange Vistalites with a large timpani in the mix.

pearlygates
03-03-2015, 10:33 PM
The Crystal Beats have a tone and attack that if you close your eyes while playing them, you'd swear you were playing wood shell drums. They sound really good, but I think they have a limited use. Visually, I think they would make a great road kit....for straight away rock n roll or like an old school funk review. Pearl did a nice job on these. I haven't had a chance to play on Tama's version to make a comparison, but I will in the very near future. I don't think I have played a Tama anything in probably a decade or more.

MitchLyons
03-03-2015, 10:38 PM
My Crystal beats have a tone and attack that if you close your eyes while playing them, you'd swear you were playing wood shell drums. They sound really good, but I think they have a limited use. Visually, I think they would make a great road kit....for straight away rock n roll or like an old school funk review. Pearl did a nice job on these. I haven't had a chance to play on Tama's version to make a comparison, but I will in the very near future.

Why would you buy them if they sound like a wood shell? Takes away the point of acrylic, methinks.

dale w miller
03-04-2015, 04:50 AM
The Crystal Beats have a tone and attack that if you close your eyes while playing them, you'd swear you were playing wood shell drums. They sound really good, but I think they have a limited use. Visually, I think they would make a great road kit....for straight away rock n roll or like an old school funk review. Pearl did a nice job on these. I haven't had a chance to play on Tama's version to make a comparison, but I will in the very near future. I don't think I have played a Tama anything in probably a decade or more.

My acrylic kit sounds great, but in no way does it sound like my maple kit. It lacks the warmth of my maple kit, but it does ring like a bell. I definitely use it live all the time, but I have only recorded with it twice now. It has a bit too much attack and the sound does not breath enough for my liking for that.

nik12
03-04-2015, 07:00 AM
Why would you buy them if they sound like a wood shell? Takes away the point of acrylic, methinks.
I wouldn't worry too much about pearly's interpretation. His CBs have been relegated to novelty in the shadow of his Saturn kit.

pearlygates
03-04-2015, 10:25 AM

True.. I just think that the fact that they have some of the body and fullness of wood drums speaks of the quality of the shells and thought that went into building them from an engineering standpoint.

pearlygates
03-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about pearly's interpretation. His CBs have been relegated to novelty in the shadow of his Saturn kit.
No.. I still play them. So that would make my opinion at least somewhat relevant?. No.?
They are set up in the drum cave right now. I just don't think they have as broad of an application as my Saturns. They will definitely not be used as much. But they are proving to be fun to play.

nik12
03-04-2015, 10:53 AM
No.. I still play them. So that would make my opinion at least somewhat relevant?. No.?
They are set up in the drum cave right now. I just don't think they have as broad of an application as my Saturns. They will definitely not be used as much. But they are proving to be fun to play.
Not fun enough considering you plan to toss them in a corner or sell them to fund another Saturn tom. :confused:

The Crystal Beats are cool, but they will be tossed in the corner as a novelty item. I am thinking I'll sell the MCX and the CB and buy a 14x14 floor tom for the Saturn.

pearlygates
03-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Not fun enough considering you plan to toss them in a corner or sell them to fund another Saturn tom. :confused: having a change of heart. Spent about 2 hours tuning and playing them yesterday. Pretty cool if not trendy cans they are. I'm auditioning for an old school funk review. And they will do well for that.

nik12
03-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm auditioning for an old school funk review.
That sounds interesting, be sure to post up some videos if you get the gig.