PDA

View Full Version : CB at Guitar Center

HacksawDrums
12-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Had my first change to play the new Crystal Beat kit today at my local Guitar Center and thought to write a quick review.

The kit as a whole looks nice but the black hardware doesn't look that nice. I like the look between the black and clear but the hardware seems "cheap" to me. Also the fact that they use the thinner hoops doesn't help. Most likely If I was to buy a kit I would switch out the hoops for 2.3 or maybe 3.0 hoops.

The bass drum hoops looked cool but when I went to pick the drum up they seemed fragile. They seem to flex a lot. Also on the outer edge of the hoop it felt gritty. It seems like it wasn't smoothed down.

Other than that I liked how they added the floor Tom legs that had the space on the gasket on the bottom. The floor Tom was incredible resonant. It had a ridiculously long decay. Same with the rack Tom. It was slightly chocked from the snare stand but still sounded great. The bass drum had great attack and a big sound. I would like the bass drum slightly shallower (I didn't like how it felt compared to my 22x14.

Other than that I didn't like how the bass drum Spurs looked. They seemed slightly difficult to loosen up and position. I feel could have used there normal masters series brackets for this.

All in all for a 4 piece acrylic kit for around 1100$ you can't go too wrong. There is just some stuff I would upgrade.

HacksawDrums
12-15-2014, 07:01 PM
I played it as a 12/16/22 set up as it was only on GC wall. they only had cheap kits set up and the guy as I walked in said I could only play for 2 minutes before he had to cut me off. Seems like they don't want us playing the stuff they want to sell us....

MattFace
12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice review, my GC is pretty much the same way, only like 2 used kits set up all new kits stacked and any playing is timed. Its cool though I've got 2 other places that have all kits set up and no time limit.

drummaman1
12-16-2014, 07:10 AM
When you see a kit at GC that you're interested in and the heads are played on considerably. What's your first thought?

Mine certainly is "Man, this kit is beat up. I wonder if I can get these for a discount". The leverage for GC to sell you a kit at the price advertised is already lower and you haven't touched a drum yet. Now, you say, they're a big company, they can eat a little bit of loss, they're not hurting selling me this kit for a discount cause the heads are played on. It may be true, but pretty soon doing this on a regular basis will kill your business no matter what size it is.

I think two minutes of playing is more than enough time to determine whether or not a kit is something you want to buy. Doing the research before you go to the store is 80% of whether or not you want to buy. That number is arbitrary, it could be 50/50. But going to a store and spending hours on a kit deciding whether or not to buy it...is worse than just being a tire kicker in some ways.

I should say, at least you got two minutes!! I get nothing of the sort. I do get to tap a drum, if I do it with a stick and I have to make sure I don't leave a heavy mark. It's a crap shoot, and hopefully you like it enough to buy it and play it for a bit.

Nice review, my GC is pretty much the same way, only like 2 used kits set up all new kits stacked and any playing is timed. Its cool though I've got 2 other places that have all kits set up and no time limit.

You might be the only one with that setup that I know of. Pretty cool.

MattFace
12-16-2014, 07:43 AM
When you see a kit at GC that you're interested in and the heads are played on considerably. What's your first thought?

Mine certainly is "Man, this kit is beat up. I wonder if I can get these for a discount".

You might be the only one with that setup that I know of. Pretty cool.

I've actually never thought of getting a discount because it's been played but the way my GC used to be was any Masters, Starclassic, DW, etc... couldn't be played but they would have an Export and other equally priced kits set up to play. If you liked those they would pull from the back stock or order you a new one, the "floor model" was only sold when next year's model came in. They don't do that any longer, they only set up used kits and have any new stock stacked on the floor that you can tap with your finger.

Of course if you're going in to buy a Masters, Starclassic, etc... you know what you're getting and have done extensive research, but mom and dad buying a child a first time kit or possibly a second kit I think would need a little longer than 2 minutes to go over multiple kits if said shop has that option.

Seems as if I've been spoiled with my drum shops and assumed any other shop was the same.

Ron Gerber
12-16-2014, 10:15 PM
... the guy as I walked in said I could only play for 2 minutes before he had to cut me off. Seems like they don't want us playing the stuff they want to sell us....

It's a privilege to be able to play a display kit. Most stores before GC wouldn't do that. They wanted to sell unmolested new drums that looked new.

The problem is so many abuse the privilege. I've seen guys effectively practicing in there. You can spend 20 minutes or more waiting to audition some cymbals because some dude is stroking his own ego in the only venue available to him to play in front of people.

scooterdavis
12-17-2014, 02:58 AM
It's a privilege to be able to play a display kit. Most stores before GC wouldn't do that. They wanted to sell unmolested new drums that looked new. The problem is so many abuse the privilege. I've seen guys effectively practicing in there. You can spend 20 minutes or more waiting to audition some cymbals because some dude is stroking his own ego in the only venue available to him to play in front of people.

Bingo! I hate going into my local GC and have to have my ears wrecked by some kid practicing double bass murder-metal even if it's on and E kit. Everyone knows they've got no intention of buying it, so I totally understand where they're coming from business wise. The chance of alienating a serious customer is probably pretty low... I've talked to many GC associates and none of them have ever indicated that there is a time limit. Josh, you go to the south center GC right? Were you serious about purchasing the CB? If not, it's likely the associate could tell.

HacksawDrums
12-17-2014, 03:27 AM
Bingo! I hate going into my local GC and have to have my ears wrecked by some kid practicing double bass murder-metal even if it's on and E kit. Everyone knows they've got no intention of buying it, so I totally understand where they're coming from business wise. The chance of alienating a serious customer is probably pretty low... I've talked to many GC associates and none of them have ever indicated that there is a time limit. Josh, you go to the south center GC right? Were you serious about purchasing the CB? If not, it's likely the associate could tell.

I was back in town and I want to see if there was anything Cool in the shop. When I saw the kit I asked the employee of i could try them out and that I wouldn't want to buy them. He said it was no problem if I wanted to try them out. He seemed cool about m. Playing on them for a few minutes.

nik12
12-17-2014, 06:05 AM
To be fair, if you're not going to diddle around with the tuning, you only need 2-3 hits of each drum to figure out how it'll sound. Two minutes of unabated beating is pretty generous.

AL PERCIVAL
12-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the nice review Hacksaw.

I think what makes these particular acrylic shells sound so full and resonate is the increased thickness of the 7mm shell and dual bearing edge with a rounded apex cut adding increased articulation and a punchy bottom end without the annoying "bongy over-ring". Shane from Drum Center of Portsmouth was really impressed with them when he saw them at Summer NAMM.

That is the first picture I've seen of the clear acrylic with black hardware. I think GC did a 200 kit run with that combined finish.