PDA

View Full Version : Best In Show at Summer NAMM 2014

Derek Wolfford
07-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Pearl's Crystal Beat Series has just won Best In Show at Summer NAMM 2014!

Get more information on Crystal Beat at http://buff.ly/1mZXoz1

The Whale
09-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm shocked no one commented on this. Also surprised they won given the lack of apparent color options.

keaton_86
09-19-2014, 06:57 AM
I did comment on this. Dont know where my reply has gone? I commented saying it was weird that they won best in show when other companies have had acrylic drums for ages. While these drums look cool, I cant see how they are 'best in show' material.

quicksticks
09-19-2014, 12:25 PM
What was the competition? I'm glad Pearl is offering an acrylic kit at a reasonable price. My two concerns are the 1.6 mm hoops and the lack of a snare. I know about the FF option. Crush offers a snare with die cast hoops and 2.3 mm hoops on their toms. Normally, the Pearl lifetime warrant would be the deal braker for me, but two years flies by quickly. I can see not covering cosmetic issues. I wonder what type of problems Pearl anticipates.

Artisan
09-19-2014, 12:33 PM
1.6mm hoops are/were on Yamaha Club Customs too. I loved them. Saw no need ever to get thicker ones. Were lovely and light too!

CARL PETERSON
11-07-2014, 01:26 AM
IMO you don't want to weigh an acrylic shell down in any fashion. The tuning is dicy on these type shell. 2 ply clear heads sound great..thinner hoops was a smart call, and kept the price point realistic.Hence the 1.6 was really the way to go on this. Jus sayin..

quicksticks
11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
IMO you don't want to weigh an acrylic shell down in any fashion. The tuning is dicy on these type shell. 2 ply clear heads sound great..thinner hoops was a smart call, and kept the price point realistic.Hence the 1.6 was really the way to go on this. Jus sayin..

Hey Carl. It's always nice to see you on here. Can you elaborate on the tuning being dicy. I would think an acrylic shell would have perfect edges and be easy to tune. I respect your opinion as I have zero experience with acrylic drums. Also, I have nothing against a thinner hoop, I just like the superior construction of the Super Hoop over the standard 1.6 hoops.

nova
11-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Wonder what's coming at NAMM in Anaheim?

AL PERCIVAL
11-07-2014, 01:32 PM
^ me too................ :D

quicksticks
11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Wonder what's coming at NAMM in Anaheim?

In the past 12 months I've purchased a new H2000 and RH2000, so they'll probably restyle those. Seriously, Pearl really does have it all already. I'd like to see some different snares. I know they added a bunch last year, but not much that appealed to me. I don't like the new tube lug and I do like Mastercast hoops. Maybe some cool bop style kits would be nice. I'm still waiting to see a Crystal Beat.

nova
11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Maybe some new wraps that are beautiful for the MCX and the BCX will come out. I really don't need anything except more practice for my gear headed bass player and more songs sung by the chick singer instead of me.

pearlygates
02-01-2015, 06:32 AM
...... I'm still waiting to see a Crystal Beat. Ran into a tangerine tint 1up 2down, 8x12, 14x14fl, 16x16fl and 16x22 kick.. I'm so tempted!

Just now realized how old this thread is..

skeld-the-wicked
02-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Pearly , were you disappointed with the new exports ?

pearlygates
02-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Pearly , were you disappointed with the new exports ? in a word.. Yes. The build quality is just lacking in a few places. Not used to seeing even subtle flaws get past Pearl QC. The kit sounds good for what they cost... I just have been used to better from Pearl. I won't write the EXX off completely as they do fill a need. The kick sounds great! The toms seem kind of stifled.. Granted I haven't experimented with a lot of head swaps so...
For someone learning or someone on a budget there are other, dare I say better choices in the 6-$700 range. I do like the new tom mounting system. It seems that Pearl took a small step backwards with quality-at least on my EXX.

Sent from my iPhone using Pearl Drums