PDA

View Full Version : Will Kennedy's new Reference Pure kit

Derek Wolfford
07-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Here's a message from Yellowjackets drummer and new Reference Pure owner, Will Kennedy.

"Well, we did it !! I am now the proud user of the most wonderful kit ever!!"

"I can't express to you how overjoyed I am to have this kit in my possession!! It is everything I would of ever wanted out of an instrument. It's like driving a well engineered vehicle; all of your moves and ideas are so accurately presented that you better know what you want to play.
I tried on a variety of head combinations and the shells take on the varied voices and character of the heads from open jazzy to thick rock like - I am totally blown away and then blown away again."

"I have done two Yellowjackets gigs with the kit and now completely not looking forward to the next gig in Aug because that will be the first gig without my Lamborghini drum kit!!"

"My hats off to all who helped make this the kit of my dreams!!"

Reference Pure
#342 Vintage Tobacco Burst
22x18 bass drum
20x16 bass drum
10x8 tom
12x8 tom
14x14 floor tom
16x16 floor tom
14x6.5 snare drum

nik12
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Dem X-hats. How he play?!

chrisr696
07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
What the bloody hell's going on there?!

Benny
07-25-2013, 09:54 AM

+1

iCe
07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

+2

timlovestenors95
07-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Is the 12" tom a different finish?

AL PERCIVAL
07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

same finish.

Derek Wolfford
07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

There is a 12" tom above the snare and a mounted Steel SensiTone snare in the 2nd tom position...

Benny
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
There is a 12" tom above the snare and a mounted Steel SensiTone snare in the 2nd tom position...

Where's the 10" then?

Drakken
07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Nice to see he doesn't mind scratching the ____ out of the bass drum by putting that A Custom Bottom Hat on it.

I nominate this guy for the Least Appreciation of an Endorsement Award.

timlovestenors95
07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Yea, that has to be one of the weirdest set-ups I've seen. I hope and pray that the cymbal that is wedged between the sensitone and the first tom is not scratching the bass drum. I will gladly take it off his hands if he doesn't really want to take care of his drums.

.:On The Rock:.
07-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Why don't you listen to some of Will Kennedy's work before you all rag on his setup! This guy would out-play any of you any day of the week, and all you can talk about is his setup? As usual on this forum, the focus is on the drums and not the music.

My (more respectful) response to the photo:

"Wow I really like those drums and I would be interested to see how he incorporates his unusual auxiliary hi hats into his playing. I love the Yellowjackets, The Spin and Blue Hats are my favourite albums!"

Sheesh.

nik12
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Why don't you listen to some of Will Kennedy's work before you all rag on his setup! This guy would out-play any of you any day of the week, and all you can talk about is his setup? As usual on this forum, the focus is on the drums and not the music.

"Wow I really like those drums and I would be interested to see how he incorporates his unusual auxiliary hi hats into his playing. I love the Yellowjackets, The Spin and Blue Hats are my favourite albums!"

Sheesh.
lulz, this entire thread is centered around his kit, not his playing. Thread title "Will Kennedy's new Reference Pure kit". Derek went on to explain Willl's reaction and appreciation for the kit. And then listed the specs for the kit. And then posted pictures of the kit.

It's an unusual setup and we're curious. I don't think the hat is actually resting on the kick, so the others might be jumping the gun a bit on that point.

Derek Wolfford
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM

Sheesh.

(where's the LIKE button for that response?)

I posted the pics for a lot of reasons...

It's a beautiful kit and Will has been very anxious to get it
Hopefully someone unfamiliar with his drumming will search out his work
People who already know his work will definitely enjoy the pics
Common courtesy because Will sent them to us to post
Look at the crazy x-hat!!!! I personally think drummers tend to be conservative in their configurations so if the pic makes ONE person start experimenting with their set-up = SUCCESS
It's a beautiful kit... wait, I already said that! Will is an open-handed, cymbals tilting away from him, crazy x-hat playing, drummer who is one of THE best... incredibly musical.

So that's about it... :)

Drakken
07-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Sheesh.

Not trying to get in a war of words, but this is not a thread based on audio or video of him playing. And I understand he is a very well respected drummer, it all just looks like one of those kit you see on Craigslist or ebay where people don't know how to put drums together, I also want to know how he is using all of this, but that will have to wait until someone posts video of him playing this set up. Until then, it all look ridiculous.

Also, has anyone noticed that kick pedal at the bottom of his largest floor tom. I thought it was set up like a cocktail pedal, but if you look at the last picture you can see the beater is over the foot board. How is he using this? AND How is he keeping it from moving around?

steadypocket
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
I for one appreciate seeing a creative and innovative set up, unlike the more common configurations that most of us adopt. It's a blast to see a talented drummer take a different approach to the instrument. I love the post and may be a bit biased toward that gorgeous finish (see my sig block).

drummaman1
07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Not trying to get in a war of words, but this is not a thread based on audio or video of him playing. And I understand he is a very well respected drummer, it all just looks like one of those kit you see on Craigslist or ebay where people don't know how to put drums together, I also want to know how he is using all of this, but that will have to wait until someone posts video of him playing this set up. Until then, it all look ridiculous.

Let's not get crazy here, it hardly looks like a craigslist ad. The 2nd snare right there makes sense if you want to keep your kit in front of you and not have to contort your arms or your body to play your kit. Also the x-hat on the bass drum most likely is a dynamics thing, Speculating, but it could be the hat for the 2nd snare and wanted the hats where it didn't interfere with his core setup. Maybe, he's experimenting??? What, we're not allowed to experiment with our setups? God Forbid!

Also, has anyone noticed that kick pedal at the bottom of his largest floor tom. I thought it was set up like a cocktail pedal, but if you look at the last picture you can see the beater is over the foot board. How is he using this? AND How is he keeping it from moving around?

I think it's just a spare pedal. Strange things have happened during the gig, including the main pedal crapping the bed. Demon Drive regardless, the show must go on.

Drakken
07-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I didn't know his feet were so destructive.

oldstroke227
07-29-2013, 11:35 PM
(where's the LIKE button for that response?)

I posted the pics for a lot of reasons...

It's a beautiful kit and Will has been very anxious to get it
Hopefully someone unfamiliar with his drumming will search out his work
People who already know his work will definitely enjoy the pics
Common courtesy because Will sent them to us to post
Look at the crazy x-hat!!!! I personally think drummers tend to be conservative in their configurations so if the pic makes ONE person start experimenting with their set-up = SUCCESS
It's a beautiful kit... wait, I already said that! Will is an open-handed, cymbals tilting away from him, crazy x-hat playing, drummer who is one of THE best... incredibly musical.

So that's about it... :)

Derek: You are 100% correct-a-mundo (IMHO!) Will Kennedy is one of the most gifted musicians currently playing. If his set up and methods seem unorthodox to some of you, I suggest you open your minds. He has been playing for another very prominent drum manufacturer for many years. I believe Pearl can consider his choice to be the highest compliment. Mr. Kennedy is a true artist and he chooses Pearl as his instrument..... I will be looking forward to his next performance in my area with Yellowjackets.

Benn
07-30-2013, 03:58 AM
I ****ing love Will Kennedy! Such a talented drummer. I remember when I was younger and first heard his work, he blew my mind because I thought there was two drummers going, but in fact, it was just him doing really fast doubles on everything. Haven't listened to Yellowjackets in AGES. Thanks for reminding me.

Also, this set up looks amazing... not just a regular, boring set up like mine.

EDIT: Wow, it's genuinely angering me seeing people badmouth this guy.

Fat Sam
07-30-2013, 05:08 AM
That IS a weird set up, but it also looks strangely comfortable... I'd love to have a go.

Artisan
07-30-2013, 08:33 AM
The only truly weird thing are the X hats.
Others like the left side main ride and a snare instead of a tom are a bit more normal. He is a beast of a drummer too, love Yellowjackets!

Derek Wolfford
07-31-2013, 08:28 AM
I shared some of your comments with Will and asked if he would explain the logic behind his aux hi-hat positioning.... check out the news story.

http://pearldrum.com/news-events/pearl-news/untitled-resource

Derek Wolfford
07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Although it looks like it could perform some type of cocktail kit function, It's only his spare pedal set off to the side of the riser.

nik12
07-31-2013, 10:37 AM
What a great guy, answering our questions. Both of you!

Shane Padayachee 1
07-31-2013, 12:15 PM
I kinda love the unusual setup......sort of inclines one to think out of the box..........experiment......to find ur own unique playing style with a unique setup.....shows maybe originality and I guess.....makes us all interested in what pans out by following him.......

opus138
07-31-2013, 12:18 PM
What a great guy, answering our questions. Both of you!

^. A lot.

I love sets that demonstrate there's no 'right way' to do something. Love it.

Drumming-4-Life
08-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I shared some of your comments with Will and asked if he would explain the logic behind his aux hi-hat positioning.... check out the news story.

Great information Derek! In this shot, it looks like he is using both Ultracast models at the same time... is that correct?

Derek Wolfford
08-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Great information Derek! In this shot, it looks like he is using both Ultracast models at the same time... is that correct?

Double UltraCast snares....!

I'm sure those are two of a variety of snares he keeps on the road with him... he's definitely a fan of the UltraCast Series.

RobertM
11-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Will's playing is great--he makes the Sessions and the MCXs sound very nice in jazz contexts. The Reference Pure seems to be the jazz kit of choice now--I know quite of few jazz players who use Pearl who have chosen the Ref Pure. I'd love a kit, but the price of them these days is ridiculous. You used to be able to get a 4 pc Masters Premium (4 ply or 6 ply) in a variety of finishes for in the $2k-$2.5K range (on par with the Yamaha Absolutes and Tama SC Maples). Now you have limited options with MRX for barely under $2K and then an enormous jump to $3K for a 4 pc Ref Pure.

Some shops are running discounts right now, but even with those discounts the Ref Pure 4 pc kits still come in at $2700-ish, at best. Sonor Delites used to be egregiously expensive, but now the Reference stuff has joined that tier. Alas.

Derek or Al: Why such the huge price leap?

'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
11-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Haahaa! The people hating on the kit have no imagination. I think that set-up is sick! Very creative.

ricohorton
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
whatever floats your boat i say. he can setup his kit any way he likes.