PDA

View Full Version : New Reference Pure Kit

steadypocket
05-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I'll start this by saying I need another drum kit like I need a hole in the head. So I'm looking at Reference Pure kits on eBay and I stumble across a gorgeous Tobacco Vintage Burst 4-piece kit (10, 12, 16 and 22) listed for $1999. Kit is listed as new. I assumed there was a typo in the price, or thought that perhaps it was a used kit misidentified as new. I called the drum shop (a known and reputable one) and the employee I spoke to thought it was a typo and should have been $2999, but promised to call back after he is able to confirm. He calls me back to inform me that the manager indeed will sell this kit at the price listed on the Internet. It's new and NOT a demo model, though it has been displayed on the floor of the shop.

I'm thrilled to be getting such an amazing kit at a great price. I used to own a granite sparkle Reference but parted with it in large part because it was too darn heavy. Those toms had the original heavier (steel?) optimounts as well. With the Reference Pures, Pearl addressed all of the issues I had with the original Reference drums. As luck had it, I bought a DW kit 2 weeks before the Pures were unveiled at NAMM a few years back. Had I had known... Anyway, good things are apparently worth waiting for and I'm excited to be rejoining the Pearl family (I actually own a 20-ply Reference so I guess I never really left). Now I'm going to have to part with one of my present kits because I just can't maintain five but I'll worry about that in the coming days. Pictures from the website ad can be found below.

Kiwi
05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Great score man, congrats!

livingstone
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
That looks awesome! Nice kit!

Artisan
05-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Hmm. One of the best finishes available!

Drumming-4-Life
05-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Great find... are you going to get add-on drums like the 14 floor or 8x7 tom? Either way, congratulations!

Drummeral
05-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Yes, a beautiful finish for sure. I've been looking at this finish for a while now and always thought it looked great. Well done!

Drumbum675
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
That is the same shop I bought my Ref pure kit from. I also thought the price on my kit was to good to be true. $2k for a kit that would cost $5k to piece together. Excellent service and fast shipping. Highly recommended. You will be happy!!

Jutt8
05-13-2013, 08:34 AM
What's not to love about that? A gorgeous ref pure for that price is FANTASTIC. That's only about $700-800 more than than Session Studio Classic. One floor tom add on for that ref pure kit will cost you about that. Good find!!

JimmyPemberton
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Talk about a score! Congrats!

Diofter
05-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Congrats! Welcomeback to the ref family!

xacc
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow, congrats, and awesome finish. I can't believe the price...great buy, it was a no-brainer!

MusicMan
05-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Steadypocket,

Good chioice at a good price! I've noticed some of the retailers beginning to let these RFP kits go for really low prices. I would imagine the stores don't get that many people who will walk in and spend that kind of money anymore.

MM :)

steadypocket
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Hi Steadypocket,

Good chioice at a good price! I've noticed some of the retailers beginning to let these RFP kits go for really low prices. I would imagine the stores don't get that many people who will walk in and spend that kind of money anymore.

Can't be much profit margin for the dealer. Maybe you're right MM, lack of walk-in traffic interested in high end kits, though I would have thought that a San Jose drum shop would be serving a big market.

As for buying add-on drums (at normal prices), that would kind of dilute the deal I got, not to mention that I'm tapped out after a recent DW Vault Edge snare. Besides, i have a couple other kits with more toms that I can turn to when necessary, or when I get into that "I wish I could play like Todd Sucherman" mood.

HiFiBri
05-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Congrats on the super score. And may I add:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/HiFiBri/Misc%20Glenn%20Beck/281.gif (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/HiFiBri/media/Misc%20Glenn%20Beck/281.gif.html)

opus138
05-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Can I ask what you do for a living? Or who you have pictures on? ;)

MusicMan
05-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Can't be much profit margin for the dealer. Maybe you're right MM, lack of walk-in traffic interested in high end kits, though I would have thought that a San Jose drum shop would be serving a big market.

Steadypocket,

Well, no matter where one lives, there's always a bigger market online. Here where I live, I'd have to pay substantial state tax for a large purchase like a shell pack. Not only can an online shop (from out of state) give me better pricing, but I save on the tax and get free delivery to my doorstep. I would imagine a lot of local shops are using eBay, Amazon, and their own websites to attract more business so they can get better dealer discounts from Pearl (which get passed down to you and me in more competitive pricing).

I think local music stores would be great if they could handle enough inventory to make all the products available. For example, we only have Guitar Centers in my area and they haven't even had an RFP kit in stock for anyone to look at or hear. They just can't afford to stock most of the high end stuff and certainly can't represent all of the different manufacturers out there. They even have to limit what they keep in their warehouse for online orders.

gbaker
05-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Major score!!! I don't know what is going on with high end kits. I've had my DW Classic Series kit on craigslist for months and I've gotten no movement on it... just low ballers. That is a beautiful finish on that set. Love my RefPures, just wish that I would sell my DW's. I really don't need three sets. All the best MM. Congrats!

MusicMan
05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Major score!!! I don't know what is going on with high end kits. I've had my DW Classic Series kit on craigslist for months and I've gotten no movement on it... just low ballers. That is a beautiful finish on that set. Love my RefPures, just wish that I would sell my DW's. I really don't need three sets. All the best MM. Congrats!

Gbaker,

That's not surprising. To sell most high end kits, you have to list them for less than you think they are worth. There are so many other options for "new" kits that are at a lower price. The high end kits just don't get full resale value.

For example, I recently sold one of my big MW kits very quickly. However, I had to price it for only about 30% of the list price since anyone can get a new one for 45% of list price and there are many other nice "new" kits that cost less. Of course, I was lucky to find a buyer who wanted such a large kit, in that particular color, and had the cash to make the purchase.

In the end, it was better just to have a few thousand dollars in my pocket quickly.

gbaker
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Part of the problem that I am experiencing is that Dallas is a really bad market for anything but mid-level or under sets. I've sold gear of all kinds throughout the U.S. and internationally with good results. I do understand the margin for new 'retail' vs. actual sale price vs. used. You did get an exceptional deal! I purchased my Reference Pures in the 22, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16 configuration, from an individual, but just two weeks out of the box for $2300. The 13 up tom was actually still in the box. Basically, new. My DW's are mint and I am not looking forward to putting them on Ebay. But, it may be my only recourse. I believe them to be fairly priced and it is that hate to ship and take the Ebay/Paypal hit. It will work out one way or the other. You did get a stunning set, love the finish! I had to take what was available, which was the Black Cherry, but no complaints here. Congrats to you MM!

MusicMan
05-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Part of the problem that I am experiencing is that Dallas is a really bad market for anything but mid-level or under sets. I've sold gear of all kinds throughout the U.S. and internationally with good results. I do understand the margin for new 'retail' vs. actual sale price vs. used. You did get an exceptional deal! I purchased my Reference Pures in the 22, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16 configuration, from an individual, but just two weeks out of the box for $2300. The 13 up tom was actually still in the box.

GBaker,

It sounds like you got a great deal.

gbaker
05-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Hey, I love them. They made my DW Classics expendable. I also picked up his Ludwig Black Beauty snare with tube lugs and P86 throw in a SKB hard case (all new) for $350. They never leave my rehearsal space, so no one but myself and the bands that I play with get to see them or hear them. I couldn't pass them up. If I had bought new, it probably would've been in a finish more like yours. Very cool.

steadypocket
05-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Hearing such comments from Ref Pure owners is really getting me amped up for the new kit. Thanks for all the positive comments. I too now have a high-end kit for sale. Only a couple inquires so far but I'm hoping to keep things local using just Facebook. Not much market for used high end kits unless the price is way under valued.

gbaker
05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Funny... this *****ing about the Dallas market that I was doing, and I get an email this afternoon and I sell my DW 6X14 Edge snare in Broken Glass for $500 to a collector that I happen to know. Weird.

steadypocket
05-21-2013, 02:43 PM
So the Reference Pure kit arrived today. Just took them out of the boxes and they're stunning. Can't wait to tune them up and play them this weekend. On initial inspection they're flawless, exit for a good gouge on the inner floor Tom ply, along with some scratches. Matching snare (5" deep) is en route from Portsmouth NH and should arrive shortly.

spx118
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Congratulations. That's awesome. Amazing looking kit. Their gonna sound terrific. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

MusicMan
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi,

Sweet! Can't wait to see the whole thing set up.

opus138
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Yikes - that gouge is unsettling. What are your thoughts?

MusicMan
05-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi,

Did you buy the kit used, or did you order it from Pearl?

steadypocket
05-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Hi,

Did you buy the kit used, or did you order it from Pearl?

The kit was bought new and arrived today after a cross country journey from the drum shop in San Jose, California. The drums were packed extremely well and the boxes were undamaged. Upon initial inspection there was no damage whatsoever to the outer shells or hardware. The shop never removed the heads and wouldn't have noticed any flaws to an interior shell, unless they were looking very carefully (like I was, as the new buyer, a short while ago). This clearly didn't happen in shipping and I can't imagine it would have happened in the shop. I'm not an expert but this would have occured almost certainly in the factory and didn't get caught during QC. This is my fourth new Pearl kit since 2003 and this is the first time any drum was in less than 100% perfect condition. I can live with the scratches but over time, I'm concerned that the shell vibrations could further expand the the nick/gouge/crack (whatever word you want to use to describe it).

My immediate concern is to get this documented and I've contacted the drum shop and provided them with several photos. They promised to get back to me with a suggested course of action. I'll also notify Al just to get his sage advice. I have firsthand familiarity with Pearl's unrivaled customer service and should it turn out that some additional action will need to be taken, I have no doubt that I'll be taken care of.

MusicMan
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
The kit was bought new and arrived today after a cross country journey from the drum shop in San Jose, California. The drums were packed extremely well and the boxes were undamaged. Upon initial inspection there was no damage whatsoever to the outer shells or hardware. The shop never removed the heads and wouldn't have noticed any flaws to an interior shell, unless they were looking very carefully (like I was, as the new buyer, a short while ago). This clearly didn't happen in shipping and I can't imagine it would have happened in the shop. I'm not an expert but this would have occured almost certainly in the factory and didn't get caught during QC. This is my fourth new Pearl kit since 2003 and this is the first time any drum was in less than 100% perfect condition. I can live with the scratches but over time, I'm concerned that the shell vibrations could further expand the the nick/gouge/crack (whatever word you want to use to describe it).

My immediate concern is to get this documented and I've contacted the drum shop and provided them with several photos. They promised to get back to me with a suggested course of action. I'll also notify Al just to get his sage advice. I have firsthand familiarity with Pearl's unrivaled customer service and should it turn out that some additional action will need to be taken, I have no doubt that I'll be taken care of.

Hi Steady,

Yes, you should document it right away and try to have Pearl replace the drum. It's possible that it happened when it arrived at Pearl. Sometimes the hardware is loose or not attached and it might have damaged the shell. When it arrived in Nashville, they might have opened the box and "fixed" it and then resealed it before sending it out to the drum shop. When you get boxes sealed from Pearl, they are not necessarily "factory sealed" from Taiwan, but are sometimes rewrapped and resealed in Nashville.

Zombie5150
05-21-2013, 05:24 PM
That gouge does hurt the eyes a bit but they are still awesome looking drums. I'm sure the shop or Pearl will take care of you especially since it's one of their high end kits. I was recently changing out my reso bass drum heads when I noticed a crack in the finish on one of my hoops. I was a bit sick to say the least and contacted the shop I initially ordered them from and sent them pics. They in turn contacted Pearl and last I heard everything was handled. They even offered to send me out a replacement hoop to use until the new one arrives. The drums still play fine of course and since I don't gig them or anything right now it's just a cosmetic flaw but Pearl was very good with their warranty stuff.

steadypocket
05-21-2013, 07:48 PM
MM and Zombie, thanks for the great advice and sharing your experiences and knowledge.

steadypocket
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Looks like Pearl and the drum shop are already working on ordering a replacement floor tom for me, less than 24 hours after I alerted them of the problem. As I stated previously, best customer service of any company, drum or otherwise, that I've dealt with. One of the reasons I didn't hesitate buying a Pearl product (again).

Oh, and I tuned up the rack toms yesterday and tapped them. Oh my! Sweetness. I thought the Starclassic bubinga toms sounded the best to my ears but these are just as amazing, in a different way. While I've yet to play the entire kit, so far I don't buy the nonsense that the Pures are for the studio while the original References are for live playing. At least for the rack toms, they'll be just great for live shows and project just fine.

MusicMan
05-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Looks like Pearl and the drum shop are already working on ordering a replacement floor tom for me, less than 24 hours after I alerted them of the problem. As I stated previously, best customer service of any company, drum or otherwise, that I've dealt with. One of the reasons I didn't hesitate buying a Pearl product (again).

Oh, and I tuned up the rack toms yesterday and tapped them. Oh my! Sweetness. I thought the Starclassic bubinga toms sounded the best to my ears but these are just as amazing, in a different way. While I've yet to play the entire kit, so far I don't buy the nonsense that the Pures are for the studio while the original References are for live playing. At least for the rack toms, they'll be just great for live shows and project just fine.

Hi Steady,

Sounds good! Just make sure you keep after the dealer and check on that replacement tom to make sure they follow through with it. When there's no additional sale involved, those things can sometimes fall by the wayside.

Is the new floor tom coming from Taiwan (special order), or is it coming from Nashville?

opus138
05-22-2013, 03:08 PM
best customer service of any company, drum or otherwise, that I've dealt with. One of the reasons I didn't hesitate buying a Pearl product

+1

steadypocket
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Snare drum arrived today. I was immediately struck by the drum's weight, or more appropriately, the lack of weight. A far cry from the other Reference drums I've owned. About to find out if she sounds as good as her looks.

RG1820X
05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Nice kit! Congratulations! I can't wait to see them all together as a family!

j kuhl
05-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Beautiful finish and I bet they sound great. Congrats and enjoy!

steadypocket
05-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Snare drum arrived today. I was immediately struck by the drum's weight, or more appropriately, the lack of weight. A far cry from the other Reference drums I've owned. About to find out if she sounds as good as her looks.

Mini review: the Pure snare is crisp, responsive, and sensitive. With the stock heads, it sounds almost metallic. Dare I use Curt Waltrip's adjective: vibrant. It really describes this drum. I'm thrilled with this snare. For hard rock gigs though, it will need to be mic'ed. Not especially loud but given the shell design, that was expected. With that said it's no lightweight either. . Just not going to be as loud as the reference brass or for that matter, the 20-ply Ref.

MusicMan
05-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Mini review: the Pure snare is crisp, responsive, and sensitive. With the stock heads, it sounds almost metallic. Dare I use Curt Waltrip's adjective: vibrant. It really describes this drum. I'm thrilled with this snare. For hard rock gigs though, it will need to be mic'ed. Not especially loud but given the shell design, that was expected. With that said it's no lightweight either. . Just not going to be as loud as the reference brass or for that matter, the 20-ply Ref.

Steady,

Glad to see you got the matching snare. Thanks for the review.

gbaker
05-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Very, very cool. I would love to have a matching RefPure snare for my set, but ended up with a Ludwig BB. I am selling my DW Edge snare in Broken Glass on Tuesday, and am tempted to make a move... but alas, it would still be a Black Cherry snare drum. I am enamored of the finish that you ended up with on your kit, MM. Absolutely stunning!

MusicMan
05-24-2013, 07:31 PM
gBaker,

Thanks. The next time I gig with the kit, I'll get some pictures of the whole thing. Unfortunately, I always have it in cases at home since I don't have a "drum room" where I can set them up. I play a lot of church gigs where the drums are already provided so I don't use my RFP kit as often as I'd like.

steadypocket
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah MM, pls post some pics of your kit when you have the chance.

czx
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to your full kit review. Alot of people lump the Taiwan factory in with whomever in China.. but they don't realize the Taiwan Pearl factory is like the Cadillac of factories and has been since probably the 70's or 80's.

Signals
05-26-2013, 06:19 PM
What a nice kit! I'm sure the tom will be taken care of too. I've owned a Masters Maple, a Masters Mahogany and a Reference kit, and everyone was built like a tank and absolutely flawless. ...and trust me, I'm a REALLY picky guy. If there was a flaw I would have found it! :D

myk
05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
I'll start this by saying I need another drum kit like I need a hole in the head. So I'm looking at Reference Pure kits on eBay and I stumble across a gorgeous Tobacco Vintage Burst 4-piece kit (10, 12, 16 and 22) listed for $1999. Kit is listed as new. I assumed there was a typo in the price, or thought that perhaps it was a used kit misidentified as new. I called the drum shop (a known and reputable one) and the employee I spoke to thought it was a typo and should have been $2999, but promised to call back after he is able to confirm. He calls me back to inform me that the manager indeed will sell this kit at the price listed on the Internet. It's new and NOT a demo model, though it has been displayed on the floor of the shop.

I'm thrilled to be getting such an amazing kit at a great price. I used to own a granite sparkle Reference but parted with it in large part because it was too darn heavy. Those toms had the original heavier (steel?) optimounts as well. With the Reference Pures, Pearl addressed all of the issues I had with the original Reference drums. As luck had it, I bought a DW kit 2 weeks before the Pures were unveiled at NAMM a few years back. Had I had known... Anyway, good things are apparently worth waiting for and I'm excited to be rejoining the Pearl family (I actually own a 20-ply Reference so I guess I never really left). Now I'm going to have to part with one of my present kits because I just can't maintain five but I'll worry about that in the coming days. Pictures from the website ad can be found below.
Wow those are gorgeous, what is the wood, and ya that price is a crazy for those

dudewuttheheck
06-03-2013, 06:55 PM
you have way too much nice stuff, my friend. Beautiful looking drums. I'm glad that the problem with the floor tom is being solved so quickly.

some_drummer
07-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Love that finish.