PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe drums without deluxe bags

Viames
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
I wonder while an expensive high level drum kit like Pearl Reference Pure or Masterwork is sold without its high quality drum bags that perfectly fit each drum.

The best Pearl bags actually are really poor in look and quality, compared with Ahead, Protection Racket or Gewa. These offer a better protection but lacks in fitting perfectly the big number of drum sizes (width, depth and rim type).

Tama premium snares include high quality bags with a perfect fit and look.

Why do one of the world's best drum manifacturer like Pearl didn't buy or just brand a serious drum bag factory?

spx118
04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Good point. Never thought about it. I would have loved for my Reference to have come with their own cases. The drums cost enough. The consumer would end up paying for if one way or another. Still, it would be cool. Good thought.

Zombie5150
04-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I ended up buying a set of PR bags for my MW kit even though I don't really gig it. I know one day I will have to move them and wouldn't think of it without protection. The whole set of bags for my kit really wasn't all that bad. Yeah, it would have been nice if they were included but I guess it's like buying an expensive car that doesn't come with a car cover.

Kiwi
04-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Presumably a corner of the market they have decided not to pursue and invest in, preferring to focus on drums. Either way they'd have to be optional.

Though not a perfect fit for all toms I'm happy with PR bags.

'][' [[]] [[]] ][,
04-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Why didn't my Corvette come with a garage?

Fat Sam
04-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Probably because it's subjective. Most people will have their preferred brand of case, some will prefer hard cases. Arguably the same as many kits not coming with cymbals, snares or hardware.

Jutt8
04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
That's a whole other realm. It's hard enough with all the competition in the drum industry alone. The bag competition is getting tough too. It doesn't bother me one bit that Pearl doesn't make their own bags that are on par with Drum Seeker or PR or Ahead.

For Pearl that would be a whole different factory and investment. It's a lot of risk when money is tight right now. I think they should stick with what they are experts at which is drums, hardware, percussion, flutes, etc.... If they did bags, they would have to be as good if not better than the rest of the competition for the same, similar, or slightly cheaper cost. Protection racket and Drum Seeker bags are tough to beat.

Besides, which other drum manufacturer is supplying high quality drum bags with their kits? I don't know of any.

Benn
04-23-2013, 07:47 AM
I use pearl drum cases :o They're all I can afford right now.

There is already loads of companies that are dedicated to making great cases (Gator, HC, PR, Ahead, etc.), it wouldn't make sense to try and enter an already full market.

Funky Animal
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
I see it this simple, don't ask a carpenter to do a welder's job, or a welder to do a carpenter's job.

I'm not bothered by this, I prefer Hardcase anyway.

scooterdavis
04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
I see it this simple, don't ask a carpenter to do a welder's job, or a welder to do a carpenter's job.

I'm not bothered by this, I prefer Hardcase anyway.

Hard cases all the way. Soft cases don't protect against weather or much more than a light bump. SKB for the win:)

Jutt8
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Hard cases all the way. Soft cases don't protect against weather or much more than a light bump. SKB for the win:)

This is not true, Protection Racket cases are 100% waterproof. I have SKB hard cases, humes and berg enduro hardcases, Protection racket bags, and humes and berg Drum Seeker bags. The bags are more protective than you think.

If you gig regularly and have to lug your own gear around, I will take Protection racket or drum seeker cases anyday of the week over a hard case for SO many reasons. There is a need for both types. I would only use hard on a tour where I'm not involved with handling my drums. Most of us aren't in that situation.

I live in Cleveland where the weather SUCKS!!!!! Trust me PR are waterproof. Actually with a hard case, water can get in if your drum is laying on it's side and the water goes up though the lid. I have never had one issue with water or snow ever touching my drums and have never had any damage to my drums being in the bags. Am I careful, yes, but I have had accidents happen and my PR cases have saved me on more than one occasion : )

quicksticks
04-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Nothing is free. If Pearl included bags with their high end kits, it would be reflected in the price. Like others have said, some prefer hard cases and some prefer premium bags. Many already own cases or bags. I personally have kne kit that never leaves my music room. If Pearl included bags with their high end drums, many customers would wind up spending money for so something they didn't need or want. This is probably one of the worst suggestions I've ever heard.

AL PERCIVAL
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Pearl manufactured it's own Vinyl/Fabric drum bags and hard cases up until 2003. I suppose we didn't sell a ton of them with the likes of Protection Racket, SKB, Humes & Berg etc..... :D

An employee here still gigs with them and they are good quality bags.

Jutt8
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Nothing is free. If Pearl included bags with their high end kits, it would be reflected in the price. Like others have said, some prefer hard cases and some prefer premium bags. Many already own cases or bags. I personally have kne kit that never leaves my music room. If Pearl included bags with their high end drums, many customers would wind up spending money for so something they didn't need or want. This is probably one of the worst suggestions I've ever heard.

Very good point

Benn
04-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Pearl manufactured it's own Vinyl/Fabric drum bags and hard cases up until 2003. I suppose we didn't move a lot of them with the likes of Protection Racket, SKB, Humes & Berg etc..... :D

An employee here still gigs with them and they look fairly decent quality.

They're really not that bad. I use them regularly and have never had a problem... And I used to have one of these and it was excellent. :)

MusicMan
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi,

I've collected a bunch of the free Pearl bags that come with some of their percussion stands. They are long and cylindrical in shape (and light weight) and are perfect for drum stands and cymbal stands. I use them to protect my cymbal stands when I put them in the hardware bag.

MM :)

MusicMan
04-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Hi,

I agree. There are so many options for bags that it probably wouldn't make any difference if bags were included. Most buyers probably don't have to invest in the bags anyway.

MM :)

spx118
04-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Post deleted by spx118

scooterdavis
04-24-2013, 10:36 PM
This is not true, Protection Racket cases are 100% waterproof. I have SKB hard cases, humes and berg enduro hardcases, Protection racket bags, and humes and berg Drum Seeker bags. The bags are more protective than you think.

If you gig regularly and have to lug your own gear around, I will take Protection racket or drum seeker cases anyday of the week over a hard case for SO many reasons. There is a need for both types. I would only use hard on a tour where I'm not involved with handling my drums. Most of us aren't in that situation.

I live in Cleveland where the weather SUCKS!!!!! Trust me PR are waterproof. Actually with a hard case, water can get in if your drum is laying on it's side and the water goes up though the lid. I have never had one issue with water or snow ever touching my drums and have never had any damage to my drums being in the bags. Am I careful, yes, but I have had accidents happen and my PR cases have saved me on more than one occasion : )

Good to know!

K3ith R
04-26-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm stoked then. I purchased a pair of socks and it came with shoes. Yes!

opus138
04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Mine came in cardboard boxes, which got them to where I needed them. From there, I'll figure it out on my own.

Rregarding hardware travel cases, I went to my local sporting goods store and bought a pair of travel bags for golf bags. They are less expensive than drum-specific hardware cases and do the same job.

Nizm0
05-05-2013, 12:51 PM
I agree that Pearl should stick to their market. New cars dont come with new garages. Now, it would be cool if pearl partnered with an existing case maker and had an available line to fit PERFECTLY to pearl drums it would be cool. but aint gonna happen. After building my home studio I had lots of left over foam and lined my hard cases to fit my drums nice and snug. :) Before I did that the drums had lots of wiggle room.