PDA

View Full Version : Reference Pure 22" Bass Drum

gbaker
03-23-2013, 07:08 AM
I am experimenting with my bass drum on heads, tuning, tone and attack. My first question to the PDF is, has anyone here used a KickPort? If so, with what results? I am installing one today on my 22 with stock batter and EMAD resonant.

Drummer4J
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM
I have a 22 x 18 Reference Pure bass drum with a Powerstroke 3 on the batter, and coated Emperor with a KickPort on the front. Inside the drum I have a small Evans bass drum pillow. When I compare the drum with and without, it seems like the KickPort drops the tone a bit and gives it a little more focus. It's a subtle difference- not a magical one in my opinion. It seems to do what it says- whether it is worth the money will be up to you.

Kiwi
03-23-2013, 10:26 AM
I am experimenting with my bass drum on heads, tuning, tone and attack. My first question to the PDF is, has anyone here used a KickPort? If so, with what results? I am installing one today on my 22 with stock batter and EMAD resonant.

Just been considering one myself, keen to hear your results.

gbaker
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
thank you, Drummer43... I've actually gotten the bass to sounding very nice in my studio with an AT drum mic but my thought is if I could get a little bit fatter tone, then all the good. Kiwiref... I will report back after rehearsal, tomorrow.

Logic
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
I've actually gotten the bass to sounding very nice in my studio with an AT drum mic but my thought is if I could get a little bit fatter tone, then all the good. Kiwiref...
I thought you said you were looking for more "attack." The Pure kick features fully rounded bearing edges. If it got any fatter it would have to start wearing muumuus and stop leaving the house.

gbaker
03-24-2013, 06:57 AM
That sounds Logical..... a muumuu with palm trees... Not looking for more attack... maybe even the opposite. A 'no stone unturned', thing. Just having fun with this incredible drum, Logic. For the time being, it is going to be a frenzy of experimentation until I hit on just the right combination. So far, can't find anything that beats the powerstroke batter with an Emad resonant, but there may be something out there... I've just gone through the 22" heads I have on hand. I became fascinated with the testimonials on the KickPort... some good, some not. The possibility of getting more of what I am liking about this bass drum, I guess like a junky that thinks, well this feels good... MORE heroin, please. So far, I am finding the claims about the 'tuning' advantages to the KickPort to be minimal. But, as to presence, volume and a bit of thickness... maybe something. I'll know more after rehearsal, today. I've not mic'd it up, yet... today should tell me more.

phlcollison
03-24-2013, 09:56 AM
I have used the kick port and it almost seems counter productive. I had to tighten the front head up more than I usually do to get the kick to sound good so any dropping of the frequency was basically nullified by bring the tuning up higher. It did sound a little different too though. It gave the kick more attack and made it sound a lot fatter and more present from the drummers point of view. I would say it is not needed live though atleast in my experience. I use a tama b/b kit so my kick already has plenty of lows. Sound guys have actually had trouble with my kick with the kick port on it because it resonated more with the kick port (due to a tighter front head) and one of them actually put a low cut on it. So in my personal experience I didnt really need it. Its great for playing your kit without microphones but once you you mic up the kit I personally dont think it is needed. As far as getting your kick to sound fatter in the studio, give this a try
http://www.drummagazine.com/plugged-in/post/get-a-fat-kick-sound-using-studio-science/

Logic
03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
If you're looking for a fuller tone with less attack, then you need to do the opposite of what you're currently doing. The more you dampen a drum with muffling, the more attack and less body you're going to get. I've not used a Kickport, but from what I've heard it adds attack, as does the optional foam ring that comes with the EMAD. You might want to put back the stock reso head (if you kept it unported that is). Then try an Ambassador or G1 on the batter side since it sounds like what you're really looking for is a more open sound.

gbaker
03-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Logic... there is not to much in the way of damping on the Emad resonant head. It is basically just a ported head and has a plastic ring at the edge. The consequential damping on the Emad system is the damping ring on the batter, which I would not use even if I were using the Emad batter. From what I experienced with the KickPort today at rehearsal, it did seem to do some of what phicollison described. The bass was more present and seemed to have a bit more fatness and the attack did have a definite 'thump'. The jury is still out, but I am going to play it for a while. I actually got some positive comments from the other players. I did keep the stock reso head and have worked it in and out in this process. Some of what phicollison described about undertones did happen when I first put the KickPort in and had the bass tuned up... but when I tuned down, that went away and it did some positive things. I think that I will give it a chance. Thanks for sharing, you and phicollison.

RG1820X
03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
I have used the kick port and it almost seems counter productive. I had to tighten the front head up more than I usually do to get the kick to sound good so any dropping of the frequency was basically nullified by bring the tuning up higher. . .

I had a similar experience with a KickPort that I recently purchased and installed. For me, it did not live up to the expectation (OBESE). It was high pitched, buzzy, and still on a diet. I called my local drum shop and returned it.

gbaker
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM
RG1820X... I think that I am still going to give it a chance. I've not had any buzzing or rattling issues, of yet. It is hard to tell from behind the set but it did seem to be pretty solid un-mic'd... and a bit fatter when mic'd. Rehearsal again, tonight, so, we'll see.

Drummer4J
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I am curious to see what you think tomorrow, gbaker, since we play the same kind of drums. I got to wondering more about my own bass drum tone- since I have had the KickPort in it for about 2 years straight. So, I just took it out and played un-mic'd- then put it back in and played. I definitely liked it better with the KickPort in- it was fatter and more present. I've never got a chance to do a comparison (with and without) when I play mic'd, so any info you get will be appreciated.

gbaker
03-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Okay... this definitely works. I don't know about longevity or the complaints about vibration... etc. But... mic'd up this evening, absolutely worked. I would love to have a Sub-Kick... but they do seem to be a bit processed and EQ'd. This still sounds like the shell. Or,...... maybe it was the Pacifico?