PDA

View Full Version : Demon Drive agaim :(

Drobac
03-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm having problems with my Demon Drive footboard. It has side-to-side movement and is making annoying clicky sound, as you can see it in the videos.

http://youtu.be/xv_7Gm0m2HA

http://youtu.be/PKfSpDxoAdo

Now, I don't mind the clicky sound so much, cause honestly I can't hear it while I play, but what's annoying is that the footboard feels very loose under my foot. This is not the first time this is happening and it happened on both pedals for a few times. When I bought the pedal, my left footboard froze couple of days after purchase and it wouldn't move. The spherical bearings in the board hinge were too tight, causing the pedal to freeze. This was repaired by Pearl dealer. After that it loosened a few times and developed this side-to-side motion. I was able to repair this by tightening the spherical bearings in the hinge, but now I can't fix it, it still feels loose no matter what I try. :(

I bought this pedal new 2 years ago at official Pearl dealer, but the warranty expired 1 year after purchase. I'm very disappointed right now, I spent too much money on this pedal and I thought it would last me more than just 2 years. I'm not sure if this is an isolated problem, but if it's not, maybe you guys should consider updating this part. To be honest I'm sick and tired of fixing this pedal so frequently, I want to spent my time playing my drums, not repairing them.

I really hope there's some solution to this.

beermaniac
03-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Seems like your bearings could be loose or damaged :/

Drobac
03-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I believe that's the case.

Drobac
03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
I was really hoping to see an answer from Pearl officials. :(

Al? Gene?

gene okamoto
03-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Please check your PM.

Gene

buzz doan
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
one good thing to check too is on the top of the brackets were the springs hook up on the top. those bearings like to start coming out after time. that gives you some side to side movent of the actuall beater. I would assume that if that moves everything would feel allite loose. something to check.

Drobac
03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
It's the footboard hinges, no question about that. Only footboard moves, the beater stays in it's place. Anyways, I'm waiting for new hinges to arrive. :o

ocdrums
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
this is unbelievable. I actually started a thread about the exact problem with my Demon Drive pedal last night in the hardware forum. So I am obviously not the only one in this situation. I must admit I am also getting sick of trying to fix every single thing on this pedal. First it was the actuall Zlink shaft and now this.
I am really starting to worry about Pearl. Now i see that they are releasing the Demon Drive with Chain instead of direct link. Why? Are they now realizing that their product was not well thought, therefore lets stick to what works by doing it with chain. what to do?
Pearl! my sweet Pearl. 14 years i have been your loyal fan. Why are you letting us down like that?
please somebody help!

gene okamoto
03-29-2012, 06:21 AM
ocdrums,

Please check your PM.

Drobac
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Look what I've got in my mail today. :)

Thank you Pearl!

johnwatt
06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
My Demon Drive was replaced in February this year due a bearing failure elsewhere but the heel hinges have developed this exact same amount of play.

Is it something we're able to adjust ourselves to any degree? Or do these hinges need to be replaced?

SilvaDrummer
06-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Replacement! Mine had the same problem -.- the demon drives are the best pedals on the market regarding feel. but their weak point is : stability. it makes noise and has play everywhere beside the shaft!! plus my right beater just kept falling off lol... Sux... The original eliminators does not have those problems! sometimes you have to sacrifice that " built like a tank " thing for speed and smoothnes. but still, when the pedal works itīs AWESOME. Pearl Netherland repaired mine some days ago. But iīm already seeing new problems with the hinge and beater. This is ridiculous..... Really donīt know what to do now...

Drummah Boy
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
My double pedal direct drive Demon is making the same clicking noise. When checking the hinges, there is definitely lateral movement and that's where the noise is coming from. There only a few months old and hardly used. Does anyone know how I contact pearl about this?

marc13
01-29-2013, 10:03 PM
I've actually developed the same problem with my 2002c powershifter eliminator pedal, started about 2 years ago, but hasn't gotten any worse, any idea what the problem could be with that one? I don't know if it has the same types of hinges as the DD or not...just curious, if I could fix it, that'd be great, if not, I've learned to deal with it, it's only on my main pedal, not the secondary.

Drobac
01-30-2013, 03:30 AM
I don't know if it has the same types of hinges as the DD or not...

They don't. I've got the new hinges for my DDs, but after a while they developed a play in them too. I guess it's something you need to learn to deal with, just like you said.

Bloodninja
01-30-2013, 06:39 AM
This is very interesting. I recently have been considering shelling out the money for two new Demon Drive pedals, but now I'm kind of wondering if that would be wise knowing this inherent problem that they have.

Will Pearl just keep on sending out new hinges for the life of the pedal free of charge?

Rhythm Devil
01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I've actually developed the same problem with my 2002c powershifter eliminator pedal, started about 2 years ago, but hasn't gotten any worse, any idea what the problem could be with that one? I don't know if it has the same types of hinges as the DD or not...just curious, if I could fix it, that'd be great, if not, I've learned to deal with it, it's only on my main pedal, not the secondary.

For your Elims: Underneath the footboard there are two allen screws (not on real old Elims) that hold those two knurled pins (these are not screws...no threads) at the hinge . Loosen those, adjust the pins and very slightly tighten the allen screws or it will 'pinch' the hinge too tight. Check that the hinge is not too tight or loose and re-adjust accordingly. I have found leaving the slightest bit of play in the hinge makes for a fast/smooth pedal. It doesn't hurt to pull those pins and put a dab of oil on there too. Hope this helps. :)

Drummah Boy
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Being a drum tech for some 30 years, I decided i'm not going to let some little hinge get the best of me....hehe.
So, after taking a closer look at the hinge area on the Demon, I noticed an allen screw at each orange end cap. I loosened up each screw and noticed the end caps got very loose and the hinge become very free floating. With my thumb and forefinger, I GENTLY put a little pressure on each end cap and simultaneously tightened the caps. That solved most of the problem. Be careful not to put too much pressure (it only takes very little pressure) or the hinge becomes very stiff.

marc13
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
For your Elims: Underneath the footboard there are two allen screws (not on real old Elims) that hold those two knurled pins (these are not screws...no threads) at the hinge . Loosen those, adjust the pins and very slightly tighten the allen screws or it will 'pinch' the hinge too tight. Check that the hinge is not too tight or loose and re-adjust accordingly. I have found leaving the slightest bit of play in the hinge makes for a fast/smooth pedal. It doesn't hurt to pull those pins and put a dab of oil on there too. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks! I'm going to give that a shot as soon as I get home tonight!

Drobac
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
That solved most of the problem.

Not for long unfortunately. ;)

Drummah Boy
01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Not for long unfortunately. ;)

You're probably right!

I tend to use my kicks a lot, more for poly rhythms and fills rather than speed. I play heel up most of the time and I tend to use my whole leg, so maybe the force of that is what's adding to the hinges loosening. Regardless, the Demon pedal is probably the best feeling of any direct drive pedal I've played (I've had trick and Axis) it plays light but hits like a tank if you want it to ;)

Drobac
01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
I tightened mine a few times, but it always develops play again. Though I have one hinge that I managed to tighten some long time ago and it is still good. It has some lateral movement, but there's no clicking and it the footboard doesn't feel loose.

I also like the feel of mine, though I never tried Axis or Trick.

Today I took one of the old hinges and took it completely apart. Wiped off all the oil and put some sealing silicone inside the bearing housing where the bearing is so the silicone is around the radius of the bearing and then installed ball bearings inside instead spherical ones that come with the pedal. When I try it with the hand, there's no play. Tomorrow I will install the hinge on the pedal and time will tell how long this will last.

Drummah Boy
01-30-2013, 02:38 PM
I also like the feel of mine, though I never tried Axis or Trick.

Today I took one of the old hinges and took it completely apart. Wiped off all the oil and put some sealing silicone inside the bearing housing where the bearing is so the silicone is around the radius of the bearing and then installed ball bearings inside instead spherical ones that come with the pedal. When I try it with the hand, there's no play. Tomorrow I will install the hinge on the pedal and time will tell how long this will last.

TO ME, the Axis felt too light and it was labor intensive for me to get solid hits when I cranked up the spring tension to get the feel that I prefer. For short bursts it was great, but not for the long haul. The Trick, a great pedal as well......I just didn't like the compression spring feel after playing an extension spring for so long (30+ years).
Even though I add a lot of heel/toe spurts into my playing, I prefer a short board. There's just something about the shorter length and higher angle of the short board that my feet feel more comfortable playing on.
The Demon direct drive pedal to me has the perfect feel for my playing style...... I just wish it were billet aluminum instead of cast.

I never took the hinges apart, that was next on my list :)

Drobac
01-30-2013, 02:48 PM
I just wish it were billet aluminum instead of cast.

That's something I'd like too. I prefer longboard as I like light feeling pedals. But that's a matter of preference. That's why Demon Drives have so much adjustments, to find the one you like the most.

Drummah Boy
01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
That's something I'd like too. I prefer longboard as I like light feeling pedals. But that's a matter of preference. That's why Demon Drives have so much adjustments, to find the one you like the most.

That's why drummers/drumming is so great! You can tailor the equipment to what suits you best.
My set-up, while it looks like this big monster kit in pictures, is actually very small and compact. My toms start out at 6" diameter and I use 12" snares. It's all about personal preferences, there's no right or wrong! :)

some_drummer
01-31-2013, 04:26 AM
Sorry to go off topic but could you please share a pic of your kit drummah boy?

Drummah Boy
01-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Sorry to go off topic but could you please share a pic of your kit drummah boy?

Sure, I'll take a few pics when I get home from work

Drummah Boy
01-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Here's a few pics I found on my phone while I was in the process of building the kit, hence the mess and extra drum equipment everywhere, lol.
I'm not sure why the "octobans and gong drum look like a different color, it must be the lighting......but, everything matches perfectly in person.

Bloodninja
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
That's a beautiful kit!

I also like your use of the Icon rack extension bars and making both bass drums fit under the entire middle section. Nice!

Drummah Boy
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
The sizes are......

MASTERS MCX (mocha tamo)

6x6.5 (masterworks)
8x7
10x8
12x9
13x10
14x14
16x16
22x18 x2

20x13.5 gong drum (custom made from a bass drum, I had to go 13.5" due to the lug holes on the opposite end)

12x4 pearl maple aux snare

12x6 custom Trick/Ocheltree Jaspur shell snare

4 low set "octoban style" drums, custom made using all pearl masters hardware

SABIAN CYMBALS

14" HH thin crash
16" AAX-plosion fast crash
17" AA medium thin crash
18" AA medium thin crash

18" JIA china
20" JIA china

20" HH leopard ride
22" HH Rock Ride

13" AAX stage hats (main hats)
14" custom shop V hats with rippled bottom (remote hat 1)
14" AA regular hats (remote hat 2)
13" SR2 aux hats (I got lucky with this pair, they sound amazing....exactly like the jojo fierce hats)

7" max splash
9" max splash
10" chopper
15" AAX extreme china/13" SR2 heavy bottom (used as a stack.....sounds killer!)

PEDALS....

Demon direct drives or Trick Pro V1 ( not sure which I like better yet)
Pearl RH2000 remote hats x2

HARDWARE..... (All cymbal holders and rack have been custom cut/fitted to minimize wasted space)

CH2000 X6
CH1000 X6
CH1000 X2
Pearl icon curved rack

Drummah Boy
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
That's a beautiful kit!

I also like your use of the Icon rack extension bars and making both bass drums fit under the entire middle section. Nice!

Thank you, I don't like a lot of vertical bars on a rack. It makes setting/tearing down a lot easier.
The kit looks a lot better now. I was in the process of moving everything around during those pics.

some_drummer
02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Wow bro your set up is simply beautiful. So epic, my favorite MCX on the forum now.
I hope My kit looks like this when complete, I'm currently waiting on 8x7 & 14x11 toms which should be here this month and hope to also order a second kick some time when my finances pick up. :P
Rep to you!.
Enough of the thread derailing for now, back to the Demon drive issue.
PS: Make a thread of your kit in the Masters section asap!

Drummah Boy
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Wow bro your set up is simply beautiful. So epic, my favorite MCX on the forum now.
I hope My kit looks like this when complete, I'm currently waiting on 8x7 & 14x11 toms which should be here this month and hope to also order a second kick some time when my finances pick up. :P
Rep to you!.
Enough of the thread derailing for now, back to the Demon drive issue.
PS: Make a thread of your kit in the Masters section asap!

Thank you for the compliment, I definitely will post a thread in the MASTERS section once the kit is complete. I still have a few changes to do and I'm ordering the aluminum optimounts (opta) for the toms.

As for adding on to your kit...... Be patient and browse eBay/Craigslist/etc, every so often they'll list separate pieces that were used for a drum clinic that are practically brand new with only some stick marks on the heads for much less than the new price.

As for the Demon drive...... GREAT pedal! I just wish they would redesign the hinge.