PDA

View Full Version : Drum Set Up

pearl_blackpanther
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi guys im a new member on this site. i currently own a gear4music kit(awful). i have beefed it up with sabian b8's, remo pinstripes, pearl double kick and a black panther tribal snare drum. i will be taking delivery of a pearl 7 piece kit( not sure of details yet as i am buying from a friend) and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips as to set up and stuff like that. im thinking remos again and i need to replace one of my cymbals as it has a crack in it. im thinking b8 pro's. (money is a bit tight.) i've been playing for about 7 years. im 20 and i look forward to making some new friends through this site. thanks guys.

Jason

Artisan
09-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Hey! Welcome to the forum. :) I'm in the UK as well.

This is the wrong subsection of the PDF, but i'm sure a mod will move it.
If you search 7 piece kits or something along those lines you'll see alot of picture of setups that can inspire you. We'll be able to help you with heads when you tell us what kind of sound you're looking for and also what the kit is.

I'd recommend you buy 2nd hand cymbals, as long as they're in good condition. You could get a semi pro set with maybe even a pro level cymbal in there if you go second hand, for the price of a new set of b8pro's.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/sabian-xs20-cymbals-fantastic-condition-grab-them-now-cheap/87365221
This is a great deal for great cymbals. You could maybe get it down to 180?

Woops, just realised you just want one cymbal. Is it a crash? If so, still go second hand... You'll get more for less money. :)

Angus.

pearl_blackpanther
09-09-2011, 02:27 AM
oops lol to be honest i didn't know where to post this so i just stuck it in the first place that would let me(story of my life =p) yeah it's just a crash im going for. as i said money is tight but i didn't really think about looking secound hand after some of the horror stories i've heard but i'll defo have a look. thanks man glad to find a fellow UK dweller on here. As for the kit i've played it before but have no idea of the exact model. I'm getting all the shells including snare and hi hat stand for 150. he's ordered his new kit and the guy who was going to buy it dropped out so he's desprate to sell. Random thing one of my music lecturers was a drummer and his name was angus aswell lol dunno why thats relivant but i just noticed

Jason

PeddlinLikeHell
09-09-2011, 02:47 AM
hello. welcome too. Small place Wales. Not a lot of vowells. I heard good things about B8 Pros.

iCe
09-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Sabian B8's sounds pretty decent. I like them more the Zildjian ZBT's or anything Paiste, so i would go with another B8 to replace the cracked one.

As for setup: look at the "funny/sloppy kits" thread in the Show Us Your Kits section of this forum how not to set up your kit ;)

As for heads, we can discuss that when you know what kit it is (or you know the sound you want, i'm not that fond of Pinstripes haha)

iCe
09-09-2011, 02:52 AM
hello. welcome too. Small place Wales. Not a lot of vowells. I heard good things about B8 Pros.

A friend of mine has a set of them. The hi-hats sound ok, the crashes will do, but the ride is awesome! Well, awesome for a starter cymbal. Has a very nice ping and the bell sounds pretty good as well. I was really surprised about it when i played it. My friend has the thin crashes (16 and 18"), and despite being thin, they pack some punch considering volume.

EDIT: Oh snap, B8 Pro. My friend has the "normal" B8's

PeddlinLikeHell
09-09-2011, 03:05 AM
I'll stick with the Zildjis.

Dude will learn more and more about neat setups the more he looks at this site. The more you look at different kits which have been set up by knowledgable drumming people the more you understand about setting up.

pearl_blackpanther
09-09-2011, 05:51 AM
Thanks guys great advice! i tried a some zildjians zxts and i really didn't like the sound of them. I have normal b8's on at the moment so i thought id upgrade to the pro's. I had these b8's for about 5 years and only now has one cracked so i can't complain =]. As for the sound i'm looking for it's hard to say. I play alot of avenged sevenfold but then i also play pop songs and do my own covers. i guess the drum kit sound i like the most is chad smith from the chilli peppers. My snare drum is a black panther tribal and mine is pretty highley sprung. i like a tinny snare. And we do love a constanant in wales. can't get enough of the L's lol.

Artisan
09-09-2011, 09:33 AM

hah!

And what's your budget Jason? Hah, maybe that was me? Nah it probably wasn't. :p