PDA

View Full Version : Just my opinion especially being a new reference owner,

c.n.drummer
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Just my opinion especially being a new reference owner,however the idea of the newly designed kit is great, I personally think they should have called it some thing else , like Pearl Elite or whatever. The reference line was a well researched and developed product. A number of years went into its final design, and I am quite proud to be in the group of reference owners, however Why try to improve on a great product. Yes the brass at pearl probably wanted a lighter kit to compete with some other top brands , but why compromise the reference established market. By all means bring out the new drum line but as suggested give it another name. This seems to be a Deja-vu of the "new Coke" disaster a few years back , Pearl makes many great products and by introducing this new line under a different banner I think would have made more sense. I am a little offended by this action, but this is only my opinion. Pearl still makes the greatest drums in the world.

veggyboy
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, what's up wit dat? :eek:

I believe they should have kept the Reference name, but what's with the "Pure"?

What does THAT mean? That the original Refs are dirty?!!!

I'm hurt.

HiFiBri
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, what's up wit dat? :eek:

I believe they should have kept the Reference name, but what's with the "Pure"?

What does THAT mean? That the original Refs are dirty?!!!

I'm hurt.

I'm sure your Ref kit is very dirty. Unacceptable. You need to properly dispose of it. Let me PM you my address :p

I think what Al will say is they kept the forumla of a mix in the types of woods, and why they call it Reference. I hear what you guys are saying though.

veggyboy
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
They could have said Reference Skinny.

No....they say "Purfection", as if they forgot to design something on the original Refs.

This is an outrage!!!

keaton_86
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Who cares? Its just a name. Be happy with the awesome drums you have and dont concern yourself with the image associated with them.

rollracer
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
since both reference pure and original are sharing the same sound characteristics, uses the same woods in their mix, the sole difference are the hoops, the shells thickness and the lugs, i think it was a great idea naming the ''other'' reference branch '' pure''.

veggyboy
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Who cares? Its just a name. Be happy with the awesome drums you have and dont concern yourself with the image associated with them.

WHAT?!!! :eek:

I'ts ALL about image maaaaaaaaaaaan. My hair, color of my kit, my chic. Who cares about talent and work ethic. Geez...

;)

TVTjoey
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
yeah youre definitely right guys.

the Pure is just a better version of the Reference, therefor should have been named something else... ahaha

i always thought the worst part about Pearl drums was their thickness, but with Pure they're perrrfect .i'm not 100% sure about the new FAT TONE hoops though.... normal superhoops seem good enough .

anyways just my opinion. i'm glad i didnt buy a Reference now that these came out though.

BadAstronaut
02-12-2011, 01:15 PM
however Why try to improve on a great product. Yes the brass at pearl probably wanted a lighter kit to compete with some other top brands , but why compromise the reference established market. By all means bring out the new drum line but as suggested give it another name. Pearl makes many great products and by introducing this new line under a different banner I think would have made more sense. I am a little offended by this action, but this is only my opinion. .because they can and because people asked for thinner ref shells, same edges/wood/ply specs but thinner.
It's same concept as Pearl MMX and MRX .. 4ply -5mm VS 6 ply 7.5mm .. same maple .. different thickness .. more options. I like options myself.

K3ith R
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree they should have used another name. Splenda!

Neko
02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Pearl Exordium. It's the beginning of something beautiful. :)

nickd
02-24-2011, 03:11 AM
Pearl LOLWUT series

Steve Thompson
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Reference Pure, better or just different?? I think just different. Better is in the mind of the cat playing the set. It all gets down to personal likes and dislikes. I've been playing 10mm shells for a lot of years. Look at Gretsch, the USA Custom Line has been around for ever and are still killer with thin shells.
I like everything about the Pure line except the bottoms of the new rims.
I would have liked these rims to look like MasterCast Hoops. I think the lighter idea is great, just not the looks (of the hoops), but that's just me and Pearl doesn't need to ask me what I think. The Pures are great looking drums anyway you cut it.

jgregory
05-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Just my opinion especially being a new reference owner,however the idea of the newly designed kit is great, I personally think they should have called it some thing else , like Pearl Elite or whatever. The reference line was a well researched and developed product. A number of years went into its final design, and I am quite proud to be in the group of reference owners, however Why try to improve on a great product. Yes the brass at pearl probably wanted a lighter kit to compete with some other top brands , but why compromise the reference established market. By all means bring out the new drum line but as suggested give it another name. This seems to be a Deja-vu of the "new Coke" disaster a few years back , Pearl makes many great products and by introducing this new line under a different banner I think would have made more sense. I am a little offended by this action, but this is only my opinion. Pearl still makes the greatest drums in the world.

I agree for the most part. But the bottom line is, it is what it is. Another REALLY nice line of drums from Pearl.

Snakes&Arrows
05-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I would get behind that.

That doesn't sound good ...

drumminjc
05-19-2011, 10:36 AM
That doesn't sound good ...

LOL!

DrummerFlick
05-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I think the reason for keeping the Reference label was so that it was more clearly understood (by name alone) that the shell composition is exactly the same as its thicker shelled brother. They comprise of the same shell "Recipe" and if they had given it a completely new name they would have to go back and Market the hole "Blended Shell" idea for a whole new "Series" of drums. While I somewhat agree, I understand the reason for continuing to refer to it as a Reference Series kit.

Steve Thompson
05-24-2011, 06:53 AM
I think the reason for keeping the Reference label was so that it was more clearly understood (by name alone) that the shell composition is exactly the same as its thicker shelled brother. They comprise of the same shell "Recipe" and if they had given it a completely new name they would have to go back and Market the hole "Blended Shell" idea for a whole new "Series" of drums. While I somewhat agree, I understand the reason for continuing to refer to it as a Reference Series kit.

At least Pearl didn't call their new baby Reference Lite. I have no issues with the new name. The quality of the product stands alone. Other things are more important. I can see the points made above, but it doesn't matter to me personally. Pearl now has a shell thickness for any application, thick,thin,maple,blended
whatever.

Best regards,

quicksticks
05-24-2011, 08:32 AM
I understand both sides here. Pearl has had many variations of the Masters line; 6 ply, 4 ply, maple, birch, mahogany. Obviously they were capitalizing on name recognition. I have no problem with that as they all looked alike. Most people at a glance could not tell a 4 ply maple from a 6 ply birch. But, the Reference lines are more than variations of the shell. They have different lugs and hoops as well. They are completely different animals. They don't sound the same or look the same and the fact is even the shells are different. So let's see, we have different shells, hoops, lugs and same name. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. But on the other hand, most people that are spending that kind of money on a high end kit know what they're getting, and the name means very little.

Steve Thompson
05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I understand both sides here. Pearl has had many variations of the Masters line; 6 ply, 4 ply, maple, birch, mahogany. Obviously they were capitalizing on name recognition. I have no problem with that as they all looked alike. Most people at a glance could not tell a 4 ply maple from a 6 ply birch. But, the Reference lines are more than variations of the shell. They have different lugs and hoops as well. They are completely different animals. They don't sound the same or look the same and the fact is even the shells are different. So let's see, we have different shells, hoops, lugs and same name. Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. But on the other hand, most people that are spending that kind of money on a high end kit know what they're getting, and the name means very little.

Well put,have some rep.

quicksticks
05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Well put,have some rep.

Why thank you kind sir. I'll return the favor as soon as I am able. I need to spread some around first. Do you play golf?

Steve Thompson
05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
You are welcome. No,I took up fishing many years age because I thought golf would be to expensive. That was a hoot! Besides, I don't have enought class to play golf. I used to play around but then I got married and life as I knew it went down the crapper. Can I say crapper on here? I do however, enjoy an adult beverage
from time to time. WHAT TIME IS IT??? Oh ''It's Five O'clock Somewhere''.

Over and Out,

quicksticks
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
You are welcome. No,I took up fishing many years age because I thought golf would be to expensive. That was a hoot! Besides, I don't have enought class to play golf. I used to play around but then I got married and life as I knew it went down the crapper. Can I say crapper on here? I do however, enjoy an adult beverage
from time to time. WHAT TIME IS IT??? Oh ''It's Five O'clock Somewhere''.
Over and Out,

First, my apologies to r.n.drummer for the brief hijack. Steve, I think we had this conversation. I remember about the fishing. The short term memory isn't what it used to be. One of these days we'll get together for an adult beverage. I was hoping you played golf and we could combine the two. I had a six month set back with a bad shoulder, but it's good enough now to play some golf. I play often in Delray. They
actually have two courses that you can play on the weekend for under $20. While I'm available on weekdays, all my friends that play are still working. Oh, I think it's ok to say "crapper."

Steve Thompson
05-24-2011, 12:29 PM
First, my apologies to r.n.drummer for the brief hijack. Steve, I think we had this conversation. I remember about the fishing. The short term memory isn't what it used to be. One of these days we'll get together for an adult beverage. I was hoping you played golf and we could combine the two. I had a six month set back with a bad shoulder, but it's good enough now to play some golf. I play often in Delray. They
actually have two courses that you can play on the weekend for under $20. While I'm available on weekdays, all my friends that play are still working. Oh, I think it's ok to say "crapper."

Sounds good, my apologies to r.n.drummer as well.

atimke
07-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I think DrummerFlick has it right. Why re-market the concept? I'm just a little puzzled by the use of the word Pure.

I have a Reference kit I bought in late 2007 (10,12,13,14,16,22). I wish the thinner shells would have been available then. But regardless these are great drums!

BlastBeatsODeth
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Should have just added them as an option in the existing line. No name change needed. Just a more customizable line.

drummerfluff
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
They didn't change the name or introduce a new line of drums - it's a thinner shell option for the Reference series...and it's the same way they have branded just about every other series from Pearl...Export (EXR, ELX, etc), Vision (VBX, VMX, etc.), Masters (MCX, MMX, MRP, etc.), Eliminator (Demon Drive, Powershifter)...and the list goes on...

The moral to the story is they've been in business for over 60 years because they know how to produce amazing drums and equipment - and I highly doubt anyone would look at the Reference line, Pure or original, and say "I'm not buying that, it has the same name as the other one".

spx118
03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Good point. Agreed.

MusicMan
04-02-2012, 09:04 AM
At least Pearl didn't call their new baby Reference Lite. I have no issues with the new name.

I agree. I think calling it "Refernce Lite" would have sounded "cheap" instead of emphasizing the newer technology of the lighter blended shells and hardware.

MM :)

skeld-the-wicked
04-03-2012, 02:33 AM
They should have named them Reference Wicked.

MusicMan
04-03-2012, 06:45 AM
They should have named them Reference Wicked.

Yeah ... or "Reference Cool"!

MM :)

rwats89
04-11-2012, 02:15 PM
They didn't change the name or introduce a new line of drums - it's a thinner shell option for the Reference series...and it's the same way they have branded just about every other series from Pearl...Export (EXR, ELX, etc), Vision (VBX, VMX, etc.), Masters (MCX, MMX, MRP, etc.), Eliminator (Demon Drive, Powershifter)...and the list goes on...

The moral to the story is they've been in business for over 60 years because they know how to produce amazing drums and equipment - and I highly doubt anyone would look at the Reference line, Pure or original, and say "I'm not buying that, it has the same name as the other one".

Exactly. Pearl seems to be quite good at marketing their products. If they had just made thinner shells an option for the Reference line than there wouldn't have been as big of a draw. Introducing a "new" product under a different name generates excitement in the customer which should lead to more sales. The approach of releasing teaser vids was genius.

All that talk aside, I prefer the thicker shells on my original Reference anyway. They are a royal pain in the *** to haul around though. I get a solid work out every time I move the bass. lol