PDA

View Full Version : Making a pad?

ibline
02-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I've been trying out for quads in my drumline for a while now but I really need to work on arounds and that kind of thing. I went looking for a pad to buy and holy bank job Batman, they're expensive! So, I decided to make one myself. I found our drums online (the exact kind) but I'm a little confused. I might sound a bit stupid but how the dimension are written confuse me. They're; 6x6, 8x6, 10x10, 12x12, 13x12.5, and 14x13. Also, any tips for making my own pad? Like what to use and all that jazz?

Mr. Intensity
02-07-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm assuming, based on the drum sizes, that you play tenors. The measurements you need to use for making your own pad are the first number. Most companies list the width of the drum before the depth, and with the tenors you really don't need the depth, it won't help you with anything. What you have is a 6,8,10,12,13,14 drum combo, which means if you want to make your pads match you should make each pad to those sizes. As far as what to use, so to your local hardware store and pick up anything rubbery that you can play comfortably on; if that doesn't work, try getting a mute set from an online store an using those.

However...

In the case of the around patterns (and this is coming from a snare drummer) the best way to learn them properly is to use the drums themselves. When I'm working with a drumline and we have to run some tenor arounds we always use drums and we always tell them to practice with the drums because of the rims. Unless you plan on making rims, having a practice pad for tenors is really only good for zones and playing positions.

This all may sound rude...and I apologize, I just got on the PDF and I'm tired as all get out. If you need clarification, just let me know and I can see what I can help you with.

ibline
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much! And I didn't think it was rude at all, it's really helpful.

Bigbadbanana
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Just a little additional advice...
When you're making the pad, try to get the actual drums you'll be playing on and trace them on to the base of your pad. It makes spacing a lot easier. Also, you may want to get some sort of laminate to put on top of the rubber to make scrapes feel more natural. Hope that helps. :]

playinpearls
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
would using the same size pads increase your accuracy? (forgive me, i'm not a marching guy)

The first thing i thought of (doing it for cheap) was to go to GC and buy 5-6 of the vic firth stick packs that come with a free practice pad. This way, you just buy some sticks, and your pads are free. Problem is they are only 6" or 8" pads. I would then cut out a piece of 1/2 plywood and then stencil the quads out on the plywood and trim to the stencil. Then mount all the practice pads in each location of the center of the drum. So basically you would have a piece of plywood with 5-6 practice pads on it. I know those things are kinda heavy, but if you wanted to cut down on weight of the ply wood, just hollow out the parts that you dont need. You could also just build a frame from 2x4's.

just my jerry-riggin thoughts... :D

Mr. Intensity
02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Having the correct sized pads for a set of tenors would help much more, but if you were in a pinch and had to use smaller pads then I suppose it would work. The thing with tenors is, unless it's specified, you never play in the center of the drums, so if you use smaller pads you'd have to mount them in the playing zones. This is turn would probably increase your accuracy when hitting the proper zones, but you can forget about proper sweeps. The gap between drums would be too great and would totally mess up your playing and muscle memory.

Bigbadbanana has some great advice as far as getting the spacing correct. Another good idea is to ask around online for suggestions from marching drummers who specifically play tenors. I play snare, so I don't know the ins and outs of the multi tom world as well as a normal tenor player would.