PDA

View Full Version : Pure Tom Lugs

K-Bot
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Having not seem a pure up close (want to but who knows when thatís gonna happen) I have noticed something weird about the lugs from what I can see from pics. The post closest to the bearing edge seems to have two screws and a larger oval shaped interior washer and the inside post seems to have one screw hole with a round washer.

Is this correct, do these lugs have 3 mounting screws? If so, why? I would love to hear the story/engineering behind this design from someone in the know. Thanks!

MW_Runpali
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I've only seen the pictures posted on this forum but I did notice the same thing! I'm also very interested in the design of the lugs. They're supposed to be low-mass and minimal contact....? They might be low-mass but I can't see them being any more minimal contact than the old style lugs. As you know the old style Ref lug is attached with two screws and the new tube lug design uses three screws, isn't that against the whole idea of a minimal contact lug? My head tells me that more screws means more contact and more holes in the shell, that can't be all good...

TalonTsi90
01-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Its because the outer lug end has the swivel, been covered in the original thread :) The footprint is smaller, and it allows them to use smaller diameter screws by using 3.

DrummerFlick
01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I STILL havent seen a picture or video showing the swivel function of the new lug......

K-Bot
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I looked at the pictures of the double ended swivel-nut tube lugs in the parts catalog. It appears like they might indeed use two screws offset to the top and bottom because one screw in the center would interfere with the swivel-nut. As far as screw diameters, they aren’t listed for the tube lugs - all tube lugs are listed as complete assemblies. I would assume the screws are the same SM-41X’s used for all other lugs.

I’m sure the swivel nut is worthwhile tech, kind of a shame it has to come at the expense of extra holes drilled into every drum that use these new Pure lugs.