PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Own a Pearl H-885 Pulley Hi-Hat Stand?

barjack
08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Pearl still offers this mechanism under the 1000-line, and I tried one of the new stand yesterday with great sucess. I've been looking for either the older uncoloured footboard or the 90's black-accented footboard stand to match my World Series kit.

Is there anyone on here that actually owns this specific model of stand? If so, are there any things I should be wary of? Chain breakage? Felt wear on the pulley? There are a couple for really cheap on Gutiar Center but before I grab one, I'm hoping I can get a few field reports. The stand photos below are two examples.

TalonTsi90
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Look in the First Aid section, a guy just went through sourcing the chain for his.

barjack
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Look in the First Aid section, a guy just went through sourcing the chain for his.

Yeah, I read through that thread, it didn't give me much enlightening details on the feel and action of these stands over the years. I'm hoping to find someone who's pulley stand is still in 1 piece and find out how it's feeling. I have 2 direct-pull Pearls from the late 80's, both 800-series, 1 single and 1 double-brace. They feel just fine but the direct-pull-spring hi-hat method has been used for almost 100 years now.

TalonTsi90
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I played on one once and it felt great. It was pretty smooth from what i do remember, of course the HH i owned at the time was a crappy cheap one. I dont have any probs with the 800 series i have now so dont see any reason to change or 'upgrade' even though id like one.

K-Bot
08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Been playing one of these since í95, ask me anything! Mine has double braced legs without the pointy feet, but the mech is the same. This thing has held up very well over the years for me.

Two issues Iíve had:
The felt that the chain rides on inside the little plastic pulley disintegrated. The resulting chain on plastic made the pedal fell less than smooth. My fix was to wrap the pulley 3 or 4 times around with electrical tape: smoothness completely restored. However tape needs replaced every 2 or so years.

A bonhamesque style squeak develops inside the tube directly above the pulley. I havenít disassembled to track down the exact cause, but a moderate squirt of WD-40 every 3-6 months takes care of it no problem.

Otherwise, this is s smooth unit and has held up well over time. Iíve probably played a better part of all the top end hat stands from the major companies, some match it, none surpass it.

barjack
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Been playing one of these since í95, ask me anything! Mine has double braced legs without the pointy feet, but the mech is the same. This thing has held up very well over the years for me.

Two issues Iíve had:
The felt that the chain rides on inside the little plastic pulley disintegrated. The resulting chain on plastic made the pedal fell less than smooth. My fix was to wrap the pulley 3 or 4 times around with electrical tape: smoothness completely restored. However tape needs replaced every 2 or so years.

A bonhamesque style squeak develops inside the tube directly above the pulley. I havenít disassembled to track down the exact cause, but a moderate squirt of WD-40 every 3-6 months takes care of it no problem.

Otherwise, this is s smooth unit and has held up well over time. Iíve probably played a better part of all the top end hat stands from the major companies, some match it, none surpass it.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I've tried out a few new stands and they're nice, but the pulley action of these Pearl stands was exceptional and I really like the look of Pearl's 1980's and 1990's hardware. The new Eliminator hi-hat stand is also sweet, but I'd rather pay for a $40 used stand than an $175 new stand.

TalonTsi90
08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Just got one from Arkansas, $43.xx shipped for the bottom style up above.