PDA

View Full Version : Axis , IC footboard size

emad-petto
07-31-2010, 04:23 PM
ive just a simple question
if anyone own an Axis or IC pedal, can he tell me whats the size of footboard in Axis Long Boards, and Iron Cobra Power glide ?

TalonTsi90
07-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, unlike shoes, you cant get them in different sizes, so it would be helpful if you told use that you mean length (front to back) or width (side to side)?

|DxM| Malice
08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
...... gotta love these responses. Always picking apart the question when it's obvious what he wants to know. I just measured my iron cobra length. 11 inches from the toe stop to the heal plate. Only about 8 inches of that is playable though. On the axis, there is no heal plate so you would have 10-11 inches of playability instead of 8.

Edit: good point. So about 9 inches of play not stopping at toe stop. and Axis is about 2 inches more.

thismercifulfate
08-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Not everyone uses the toe-stop though, and beyond it there's still a bit more "playable" area that should be taken into consideration.

BabylonWillFall
08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll go measure. I have both pedals actually but the IC is at my warehouse where we practice.

Picture tiem!

I basically measured from the direct drive linkage on the footboard basically the pedal is pretty playable even from there. Almost 13" is the length and almost 4" wide is the width

Edit that was my X longboard btw. The A is the same, I just checked on my A's

|DxM| Malice
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I was mistaken on the axis you have another 4 inches of footboard.

emad-petto
08-02-2010, 04:17 AM
in Iron Cobra pedals can i remove the Toe Stop? if yes, how much more inches it gives to me?
theres no IC or Axis pedals avilable around my city so i have to bother u guys to make sure wich one is better for me

TalonTsi90
08-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Not to start a bashing/flame war, but have you considered the P902TW or P2002C/B Eliminators? Or even the Demon Drives since youre looking at direct drive as well.

emad-petto
08-02-2010, 05:47 AM
i have never played on axis or any pearl pedals! cuz theres no good drum dealer around the country... but Demon Drives really looks well and Iron Cobra as well...
i cant really say wich one is good for me, cuz i cant play with them untill i order one ! right now its about 3years i`m using a Mapex Janus pedal and it SUX
im using alot of heel toe technique on my playing, and i`m a death metal drummer but right now i`m really confused guys, have no idea wich one will work for me really need some of ur advice

LowPhreak
08-02-2010, 06:22 AM
I have an Eliminator with the toe stop removed, but with size 12 feet it's still not long enough for heel-toe. Much as I like the Elims, I've been thinking about selling it and getting an Axis LB.

TalonTsi90
08-02-2010, 06:48 AM
There are plenty of guys with 13's and 14's using Elims and heel-toeing.

While i cant vouch for the IC or Axis', i can comment on the P122TW (now the 902s) and Elims. The P122/902TW are the best 'entry' level persal, but is NOT to be confused with a 'beginner' pedal (such as Sound Percussion and the sort), and for the money simply cant be matched. Some may complain because it doesnt have enough 'settings', but right out of the box with maybe a spring adjustment, they are very competitive with higher priced pedals. Since having my first double pedal from age 17, ive only had two (P782TW and P122TW) with the first one lasting almost 17 years before i upgraded. Ive had the P122TW for over 6 years, still looks new and plays phenominally. Its perfect for what i need it for.

LowPhreak
08-02-2010, 08:19 AM
That's nice Talon, but it doesn't work well for me. Could be the sneaks I'm wearing (3 or 4 different styles) or my technique, but I don't think so since unless I twist my foot angle to an unnatural position, there just isn't enough length for my heel to hit near the end of the footboard without at some point hitting the strap or underside of the cam.

TalonTsi90
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Well the heel toe ive seen isnt really the heel, but the middle of the foot. Jared (Falk?) on youtube has 13's and he outlines how he does it. Ive tried it (size 14's...) and it works, but learning it efficiently would slow me down too much.

emad-petto
08-02-2010, 09:20 AM
ive seen some guys doing same motion as heeltoe with just Toe, and they really dont need a huge footboard
but for me, its a really bad situation, while in Iran u havnt realy so much choices becuse of boycott... anyway with all the things ive seen on this forum and watching other drummers with my same style of playing i think its better to buy an iron cobra and try to get into it

LowPhreak
08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Well the heel toe ive seen isnt really the heel, but the middle of the foot. Jared (Falk?) on youtube has 13's and he outlines how he does it. Ive tried it (size 14's...) and it works, but learning it efficiently would slow me down too much.

Yes, for me it's more of a "mid-foot/toe" thing, which then really isn't hella different than just playing heel-up. I get better doubles & triples that way than attempting h/t with the Elim.

BabylonWillFall
08-02-2010, 10:14 AM
in Iron Cobra pedals can i remove the Toe Stop? if yes, how much more inches it gives to me?
theres no IC or Axis pedals avilable around my city so i have to bother u guys to make sure wich one is better for me

I have a pedal review thread in my sig. Out of all the pedals that have been mentioned in this thread, I would say the Axis is the best pedal. Trick has a product even more innovative than Axis. The Demon Drive was nothing special to me, seems like a knock-off of Axis or Trick and more of an in-between pedal for someone who doesn't know how to commit to the full shebang.

The only reason I would stay away from the DD right now is the price and the little things that seem to be going wrong with them.

I've always felt IC's were slow pedals but some new springs would get you going quite fast on them.

Oh and Pearl Elims are amazing pedals. I would use Trick after Axis and the Elims after Trick.

/story

Drobac
08-02-2010, 01:24 PM

How can you tell by the size of the footboard which pedal is better for you?

emad-petto
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
#Grof ; of course thats not the main fact, but thats just a thing that matters to me
#babylon ; what do u mean that IC pedals are slow? it there any proof or thats just an idea?
and yeah i read alot about trick pedals those seems good enough, but unfortunately Trick and Pearl pedals are not avilbale around for me to buy

and one stupid question to anyone who use axis pedals, can u do the same speed on iron cobras?

TalonTsi90
08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I think you need to stop posting questions like this.

1. You cannot test the equipment yourself.
2. You obviously have no clue how the equipment works, and you want someone elses opinion to base your purchase on.
3. You sound like you are a fan boy of some speed metal demon drummer and want to play like him/her and you think that having the same or the very best pedal will help you accomplish this. (although you claim to be a death metal drummer, but have crappy equip, so it tells me that you are not doing it as a living)
4. You ignore the advice of people who are (obviously) way more experienced in playing on buying a cheaper pedal to use to get good on. You dont get your drivers license at 16 and immediately go buy a Ferrari because Michael Schumacher can drive one fast. You do that and youll kill yourself. Besides, look on Youtube, there are plenty of guys playing quite fast with the Pearl P122TW.
5. You need to ignore BABYlon when it comes to pedals. He whines a lot.

BabylonWillFall
08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I think you need to stop posting questions like this.

1. You cannot test the equipment yourself.
2. You obviously have no clue how the equipment works, and you want someone elses opinion to base your purchase on.
3. You sound like you are a fan boy of some speed metal demon drummer and want to play like him/her and you think that having the same or the very best pedal will help you accomplish this. (although you claim to be a death metal drummer, but have crappy equip, so it tells me that you are not doing it as a living)
4. You ignore the advice of people who are (obviously) way more experienced in playing on buying a cheaper pedal to use to get good on. You dont get your drivers license at 16 and immediately go buy a Ferrari because Michael Schumacher can drive one fast. You do that and youll kill yourself. Besides, look on Youtube, there are plenty of guys playing quite fast with the Pearl P122TW.
5. You need to ignore BABYlon when it comes to pedals. He whines a lot.

lol I'm not whining at all.

Take it from a dude who has a lot of experience with the IC and the Axis. I own both pedals, a Iron Cobra double, an Axis A longboard double, and an Axis X longboard single. I've been able to compare and contrast these pedals over the years (I had a pair of un-broken IC's a long time ago) and I have found that what the IC does is best is strong, solid, and controlled. However, it doesn't have the fluidity, speed, pull, and drive of the Axis pedal. The Axis pedal is far superior in any way to an Iron Cobra. What you prefer is up to you though. That's the best thing about being a musician!

I guarantee Talon has never exclusively played and maintained both the pedals I'm talking about. I guarantee Talon has never played in excess of 260bpm like I have. I guarantee Talon has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to recommending a pedal to someone who truly wants to be fast and before you go arguing about the pedals being for people who "just want speed" go talk to Gavin Harrison for me.

In fact, I play all kinds of styles on my Axis. They're great for everything once you get used to them and yes, there is an adjustment period. Give it time.

Talon, don't attack me bro. I don't care how long you've been playing or what kind of credentials you allegedly have. I know you're not going to give a proper recommendation in this context. And honestly...just give it up dude. I'm not here to fight.

Oh and last I heard, the famed advice in the drumming community is "buy right, or buy twice". It's better to build your skills on the best equipment rather than be the best you can on something that's holding you back.

BabylonWillFall
08-02-2010, 09:39 PM
#Grof ; of course thats not the main fact, but thats just a thing that matters to me
#babylon ; what do u mean that IC pedals are slow? it there any proof or thats just an idea?
and yeah i read alot about trick pedals those seems good enough, but unfortunately Trick and Pearl pedals are not avilbale around for me to buy

and one stupid question to anyone who use axis pedals, can u do the same speed on iron cobras?

The Iron Cobras are, will, and will always be slower than the Axis. This is simple mechanics. The Axis have a direct drive which allows for instant feel, the pedals come with springs that achieve high tension, and they can be set up for many different feels.

That being said you are the deciding factor on how any pedal performs bro. I can tell you all day how Axis are faster and this and that, yadda yadda, and I guarantee there's a kid out there with flying dragons, IC's, or DW5000's that could probably shred my pedal technique and speed endurance.

It's all up to you mang.

DoubleYouW
08-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes, you can take off the toe-stop on the IC. I did it with mine :D

emad-petto
08-03-2010, 04:16 AM
#Talon
before u lable someone u better know about him
here in my country theres NO drumdealer, so theres NOWAY i can test a good brand before ordring it. in this case reading ur ideas are the biggest help i can get. and i dont want to speak about the houres per day im training or about the tempo i can play with my crappy Janus pedals not even about the bands we played for their oppening
all i ask is ur personal advices and that can be a huge help for me, now look how u just running ur mouth and talking like u adviceing a kid
#babylon thx man, ill take that advice about will in mind
#Doubleyow i really needed that ! :D

Drobac
08-03-2010, 04:16 AM
The Iron Cobras are, will, and will always be slower than the Axis. This is simple mechanics. The Axis have a direct drive which allows for instant feel, the pedals come with springs that achieve high tension, and they can be set up for many different feels.

That being said you are the deciding factor on how any pedal performs bro. I can tell you all day how Axis are faster and this and that, yadda yadda, and I guarantee there's a kid out there with flying dragons, IC's, or DW5000's that could probably shred my pedal technique and speed endurance.

It's all up to you mang.

I agree with this. Basically you can achieve the same speed with almost every pedal. But HOW you will do it is a different question. I never tried Axis, but I'm sure it's easier to achieve speed with them, than with ICs. ICs require a lot of energy in order to play fast with them.