PDA

View Full Version : TAMA Speed Cobra

Ytsejam
06-18-2010, 05:56 AM
It's here.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/index.html

Kind of disapointed.. Just looks like a shiny iron cobra. At least they could of come out with a direct drive.

thatbazookaguy
06-18-2010, 06:27 AM
I don't know how it feels, but I must say. That thing looks hideous. Like one of those pedals that come with the practice drum kits.

http://www.zingsmusic.com/images/large/ZM327.jpg

playinpearls
06-18-2010, 06:30 AM
It's here.

Kind of disapointed.. Just looks like a shiny iron cobra. At least they could of come out with a direct drive.

but then they would have to call it the "Cobra Drive" which would be a total cop out on the Demon Drive :headbanger:

gaffro
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
hmm... i have to say i'm slightly intrigued... it may be a similar design to the last one, but it could feel very different. there are a few features i'd quite like to investigate, see how different they make the pedal feel.

but i agree with thatbazookaguy, they don't look particularly high-end :p

oh but i think i'd switch that beater back to the old IC beater straight away :p

SLIPKNOT1
06-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Tama has always made great pedals, i am sure this pedal will be great.

44Ronin
06-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Tama has always made great pedals, i am sure this pedal will be great.

They should just rerelease the camcos and call it a day.

TheDoubleBassNoob
06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
You can see the features at this link:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/features.html

And the description of the "weak looking" footboard (taken directly from site):

"A specially designed pedal board for the Speed Cobra series. By designing the footboard longer than Iron Cobra, it rapidly accelerates the power and speed of the beater stroke, with less physical effort than ever before. Additionally, the smoother playing surface reduces friction between your foot and the footboard, allowing more precise control and flexibility."

So basically, Tama hopes this pedal to be a great advocate for heel-toe players and slide technique players.

And it does have a lot features that are shared with the new Cobra, like the Coil, speedo ring, and Spring Tight.

I also read a bit more on it, the Pedal looks to be more for players who want SPEED rather than POWER. Additionally, the cam is based off the Rolling Glide and-- you know, I'll just put what Tama says here. (Taken directly from site):

"We adopted the true round shaped "LiteSprocket" for natural feel and smooth action. Compared with Iron Cobra's sprocket, this version decreases its weight by 40%. It revolves naturally and smoothly, providing a lighter feel."

If you need more info on the FEATURES, click the link above. Hope the Noob helped! :)

Jutt8
06-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Why is everyone always so quick to judge something that they haven't even tried? I would love to try it. It could end up being the nicest pedal out there or not much different from the cobra. Who knows, but I'll find out when I'm able to try it.

HTownDrummer
06-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Its almost a longboard! haha they should have went all out and removed the heel plate and made the footboard a few inches longer, I wanna try this pedal, when does it come out?

HHXplorer
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Gene Hoglan would approve! ;)

Hum Drum
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I wanna try this pedal, when does it come out?

Not until October according to Tama.

TheDoubleBassNoob
06-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Not until October according to Tama.

October... HAPPY HALLOWEEN DRUMMERS!!!! ;) Trick-or-treat!! Mmmm... Candy... :D

DarkEdgeX5
06-18-2010, 02:53 PM
This thing looks so cheap.

SabbathBloodySabbath
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Kind of reminds me of the Speed King.

I cannot wait to try this out.

TalonTsi90
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Yea, but why does it need a 'Cobra Coil' helper spring? Bosh i say....

ricohorton
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
i definitely will be trying the pedal soon as available. the longer smooth foot board, light cam, angled chain strap, no toe stop, cobra coil. a great pedal made better from what i can see so far. but i'll have to try before i fall in love with it. :D

xWeasel
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
"To continuously paly fast passages, your pedal action has to feel light for less stress and muscle fatigue." :p

I wouldn't mind trying this pedal out. I might find it much better than the regular IC's that I didn't like much.

Rush equals love
06-18-2010, 11:21 PM
^ yeah, and "A difficult task, by any meas."
typos really bother me. they, fairly or not, tend to invalidate anything said

danvranic
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
i think they look great, i cant wait to play them!
they are only gonna be 399.99!!

Strat-Master
06-19-2010, 01:35 AM
i dont really like the look but thats just me. im sure if its like the tama ic it will be good, but i'm a dw pedal guy

Joey Temper
06-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Why is everyone always so quick to judge something that they haven't even tried? I would love to try it. It could end up being the nicest pedal out there or not much different from the cobra. Who knows, but I'll find out when I'm able to try it.

True. I got the demon drive and didn't like them at all and had some problem with them. Then I got the Mapex Falcon and they are the best pedals on the market IMO

ianator
06-19-2010, 12:35 PM
i might have to wait til october to get new pedals cause i really wanna try these out. i hope the price isn't ridiculous though.

Filipino Drummer
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I think that is going to be the best pedal out there when it comes out.

Hunk-a-hunk-a-burning-love
06-19-2010, 04:03 PM
i know a lot of peeps think it looks cheep due to the pedal board, but I think it looks pretty damn great if you ask me. Will defo try it out when they are released.

DoubleYouW
06-19-2010, 06:12 PM
"by any meas"
oh dear :P

danvranic
06-19-2010, 07:42 PM
i might have to wait til october to get new pedals cause i really wanna try these out. i hope the price isn't ridiculous though.

its only 399.99

MPF
06-19-2010, 09:07 PM
As long as they keep the Iron Cobras I'm ok with this pedal being out. I'll eventually try it out at some point.

plep
06-19-2010, 11:02 PM
sure, it doesn't look fantastic, but it's just going to be under your feet anyway. why care how it looks, if you're just going to be stomping on it?

the promo typos are another thing, though. hope they fix those.

thismercifulfate
06-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Everyone knows a pedal's aesthetics are the most important factor!

Genius Switch
06-19-2010, 11:14 PM
First thoughts:

Trying to look like a Trick.

That felt beater, when set to the pointed setting, will most likely dull out with heavy use.

The new footboard definitely looks more comfy, especially if you've ever played the current IC pedals barefoot.

Not for me.

thismercifulfate
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
First thoughts:

You could argue the Trick tried to look like an Axis when it first came out. And the Demon Drive tried to look like a Trick. I think it's fair to speculate that drum companies have come to acknowledge that the silver aesthetic has become associated with a high-end pedal, and that might even go back to the days of the Camco pedal.

marcüs
06-20-2010, 02:23 AM
When it comes to looks nothing will ever beat the current cobras, they are just too beautiful. I definitely look forward to trying out one of these.

ianator
06-20-2010, 12:34 PM
its only 399.99

i read on the tama forums that the list price was 269.99 for a single and 599.99 for a double

Muse FTW
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
i read on the tama forums that the list price was 269.99 for a single and 599.99 for a double

...Interesting.

I cannot wait to try these out!

danvranic
06-20-2010, 07:34 PM

yea but the list price of the current IC is 579.99!!!!
sooo

abacacus
06-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I believe list is usually something 40% over what you will actually pay, give or take a bit for my memory of a conversation long past...

thismercifulfate
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
I believe list is usually something 40% over what you will actually pay, give or take a bit for my memory of a conversation long past...
This is more for general info than directed at you specifically.

Having worked in retail, I can tell you it depends first off on the country you live in, the company that makes the product and whether it's a low, mid or high-end product of the company that makes it. In the US, 50% off retail price is very common. In central Europe, it's more around 30-40% off list.

And in other countries, sometimes 10-20% off list or the actual list price is what dealers have to sell the product for in order to turn a profit, because 1) They pay more per unit to buy the product because unlike the USA and western European nations, you don't as many huge stores that order in massive quantities, 2) Because many of those countries have big taxes slapped on imports (ask any member from Aus or NZ) and 3) Because there are generally fewer music stores in developing countries in any given city, there isn't much competition, which often drives prices down and causes stores to put on lots of special sales.

High-end products typically get less chopped off the list price than entry-level products. Entry-level products are often market to a less-educated (about the type of product) crowd that is more suscebtible to believing they're getting a great deal when they see a "50% off MSRP!!!1one!!1!!11" sign when in reality it's the everyday price. Also, they usually are made overseas in countries like China and cost very little to manufactute and are purchased by stores at a low price so they can lower the sales price and still make a significant profit on the products. Guitar Center makes as much money selling a $299.99 Sound Percussion drum set as it cost them to purchase it from the supplyer. They make the bulk of their money selling cheap crap like SP kits, and not Demon Drives and Pearl Masterworks kits.

In the end, the list price, MSRP or whatever you want to call it is some number made up by the company of a product that mean nothing in the real world. $20 Wuhan cymbals used to have $200 list prices or something ridiculous like that. That just made me laugh!

chinatype
06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
I think one would go quite nicely with my current set up:D

abacacus
06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Good post, TMF, thanks for the info.

shaketheplanetDP
06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
The new footboard definitely looks more comfy, especially if you've ever played the current IC pedals barefoot.

I so agree on this.

The thing that is causing me most discomfort when using the Iron Cobra is the word Iron Cobra.

But nothing a pair of cheap socks cannot solve!

paradiddlediddle666
06-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I think this might be TAMA's response to everyone who complained about the Camcos being discontinued. From what I can see, it looks like they've combined the best elements of the IC's & Camcos into one hybrid pedal. I'm gonna have to give these a test drive when they hit the stores in October.

Reyson
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I'll take two

littlenikki
07-24-2010, 09:22 PM
its like:

TAMA: our new generation Tama Iron Cobra Pedal Series!
The POWER Glide and The Rolling Glide!
customer: Wooahh!!... thats cool man!.. i like the design.. i wanna try it now.

... After some years..

TAMA: THE NEW TAMA SPEED COBRA!
Customer: hmn.. m'kay.. i'll just wait for the review..

dont like the looks of it..

DeepThought
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I find the physics section a little interesting.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/images/Features/RSetting_IronCobra.gif http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/images/Features/RSetting_SpeedCobra.gif

According to physical theorem, wider angle (θ) between the force of stepping on the footboard (F1) and the force of pulling the chain from the sprocket (F2) makes less power of F1 if the same F2 power is required.

This seems a suspect reasoning. Assuming that F2 is constant it would seem to me that F1 would be the least when it is fully inline with F2, or theta=0°. So the least F1 would be with the pedal end directly below where the chain feeds over the cam. By pointing F1 further away from F2, you have to increase F1 to match F2 in its direction.

But who knows, I could be crazy. I'm not saying having the pedal in the new spot is worse, but that how they describe it seems a bit off to me. Plus that's just a picture of the starting position. What about as the pedal goes through its full range of motion? What happens the theta then on both designs?

Think of it as pressing on the connection point of a board attached to a string. If the bend is at 90 degrees you can put a lot of force downwards on the rope. But if its stretched out straighter, pushing on the same point gives you a different force/feel on the rope.

Drobac
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
What's there to think about? They have had Eliminator pedals with Power Shifter option. They just pull back the boards, that's where the light position is on Power Shifter. Tama used this and made some physics formulas to look like they invention it.

Zach94
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I find the physics section a little interesting.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/images/Features/RSetting_IronCobra.gif http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/speedcobra/images/Features/RSetting_SpeedCobra.gif

According to physical theorem, wider angle (θ) between the force of stepping on the footboard (F1) and the force of pulling the chain from the sprocket (F2) makes less power of F1 if the same F2 power is required.

This seems a suspect reasoning. Assuming that F2 is constant it would seem to me that F1 would be the least when it is fully inline with F2, or theta=0°. So the least F1 would be with the pedal end directly below where the chain feeds over the cam. By pointing F1 further away from F2, you have to increase F1 to match F2 in its direction.

But who knows, I could be crazy. I'm not saying having the pedal in the new spot is worse, but that how they describe it seems a bit off to me. Plus that's just a picture of the starting position. What about as the pedal goes through its full range of motion? What happens the theta then on both designs?

Think of it as pressing on the connection point of a board attached to a string. If the bend is at 90 degrees you can put a lot of force downwards on the rope. But if its stretched out straighter, pushing on the same point gives you a different force/feel on the rope.
They're, right, it's just not an original idea (Powershifter). Think if it like this, if you take a string and pull it straight with both hands, someone can always push in the middle and pull your hands slightly together. You have zero leverage in that direction. Now dangle a string and have someone pull on it, inthis case, it's 1:1 and purely based on force, since both people are acting in line. In these cases you represent the beater and the other person represents the foot.

The problem I see with this is it is not constant as soon as the pedal starts to move, you very rapidly lose leverage.

xdriv3r
08-07-2010, 07:29 AM
I saw the video on YouTube and it is so light and smooth. But I don't think the recessed setting or lighter cam may actually help in such smoothness, unless they're made of liquid. I think it's the new superspring they have integrated. I have an iron cobra power glide pedal with the cobra coil and it doesn't feel do smooth. When they release I'll just swap the springs and give it a try. But only after I've tried the pedal out myself. I don't really think it really looks that cheap, since most of the high end pedals are chrome finished.
After seeing the video a couple of times I have stared to admire it's smoothness.

Falken Zero
08-07-2010, 09:27 PM
First thoughts:

I was thinking more like an Axis. I think people think the pedal looks cheap because how Tama designed it. It is the Speed Cobra, so I think Tama has a right to design the pedal, first and foremost, lightweight... and if they're going to make it lightweight, they're going to use lightweight materials, and try to remove unnecessary weight where possible.

I honestly think Tama did it with this one. Looks like they took some of the features that made pedals a more viable and versatile choice. The "longboard" idea is used in the Eliminator, Demon Drive, Axis, Trick, and the latest Yamaha pedals, and the smooth pedal surface is a nice change for people who like to play barefoot or with socks (like me). Nonetheless, they kept some of the Iron Cobra features that made Iron Cobra a good pedal, although the Cobra Coil I have no experience with.

bumhead
08-08-2010, 12:06 AM
I love the simply clean look of it.Pedals need to be functional,not art IMO.I think the demon drive looks like a toy with it's orange dots and skate board wheel beater, and I didn't think it was anything special to play,when I tried it (admittedly for only a short while) I'm sure it plays fine when it's been adjusted to each players style.

However, I love my double elims,but still maintain the best pedal I own is the original Camco with it's simple single chain.I can honestly say even now the Camco is smoother and easier to play then any pedal I've tried,just a shame it's only a single.

I see what Tama are doing with the Speedcobra-keeping it simple and functional for the old Camco players and adding a few 'tweaking' features for those who like the original IC's and like to mess with the settings. I for one will be looking forward to trying these.One thing though,that stupid looking pointed beater is out.I think someone in Tama's marketing department must have been reading to many DW catalogue's when they came up with that one!:D I'll just use my trusty IC rubber beaters.

LowPhreak
08-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Notice Tama named it "Speed Cobra", not "Power Cobra" or such. That assumes the pedal is built more for quick action and a lighter, better controlled feel, not for punching holes in SuperKicks.

As for the looks, what's wrong with a silver or chrome finish? Most of your hardware is that finish, so I guess that looks "cheap" too? TBH, a lot of stuff that's black looks cheap to me, not to mention cliche' and boring. Oh wait...something has to be black to appeal to the metal kiddies, right? Lame.

Another thing is, I'm sure Tama would rather keep a chain or belt drive system than direct drive, since that would come off as a blatant cop of one of their biggest competitors, the Pearl DD, or might give the impression that Tama can't come up with a design to compete with the likes of an Axis, Trick, or Demon without it being direct drive.

Peeps should just wait and try this new design before they end up getting hoof-in-mouth disease. ;)

abacacus
08-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Notice Tama named it "Speed Cobra", not "Power Cobra" or such. That assumes the pedal is built more for quick action and a lighter, better controlled feel, not for punching holes in SuperKicks.

As for the looks, what's wrong with a silver or chrome finish? Most of your hardware is that finish, so I guess that looks "cheap" too? TBH, a lot of stuff that's black looks cheap to me, not to mention cliche' and boring. Oh wait...something has to be black to appeal to the metal kiddies, right? Lame.

Another thing is, I'm sure Tama would rather keep a chain or belt drive system than direct drive, since that would come off as a blatant cop of one of their biggest competitors, the Pearl DD, or might give the impression that Tama can't come up with a design to compete with the likes of an Axis, Trick, or Demon without it being direct drive.

Peeps should just wait and try this new design before they end up getting hoof-in-mouth disease. ;)

While I think a direct drive option should be there, I agree with the rest of this post.

Personally, the fact that Tama isn't offering any direct drives seems almost like they want to resist the market change in metal drummers switching to direct drive pedals left and right.

silly
08-08-2010, 09:32 AM
While I think a direct drive option should be there, I agree with the rest of this post.

Personally, the fact that Tama isn't offering any direct drives seems almost like they want to resist the market change in metal drummers switching to direct drive pedals left and right.

its very original of them, problem is direct drive pedals are in huge demand for metal "kiddies" and tama isnt going to change that or have very good luck trying to, just give the mob what they want.

i think the pedals are *** ugly but wont knock it to bad till i try one.
not sure what its called but i would just get the IC's with the new direct drive linkage

LowPhreak
08-08-2010, 10:10 AM
its very original of them, problem is direct drive pedals are in huge demand for metal "kiddies" and tama isnt going to change that or have very good luck trying to, just give the mob what they want.

I think it's pretty obvious that Tama isn't trying to change the "huge demand" for DD, or they'd have a DD design coming out to jump on that bandwagon. Let's not forget how many chain drives are already in the market, and they still outsell DD.

Does anyone here really think that the propellerheads at Tama could not make a DD design that would kick all serious forms of azz - if they thought a DD was needed?

Personally, I don't care so much what the drive system or the brand is as long as a pedal works well for me.

BabylonWillFall
08-08-2010, 10:51 AM

not sure what its called but i would just get the IC's with the new direct drive linkage

Who the **** are metal "kiddies"? Just about anybody who is anything behind a drumkit that plays metal uses some form of high-end direct drive pedal.

Even Gavin Harrison does.

Seriously...what?

LowPhreak
08-08-2010, 11:02 AM
silly took my post out of context, because I didn't say metal players re direct drive, but about some who gripe about the color/looks of the Speed Cobra probably its not mostly black.

MisterMixelpix
08-08-2010, 11:13 AM

That'd be the Stomp Drive. I'm also super tempted to try this out.

http://www.stompdrive.com/

doublehammered
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
wow, i've not heard of these before but they look awesome !!!
and will be a great cost saver for people who want direct drive pedals but don't wanna pay 'direct drive pedal prices' :)

great stuff !!!!

MisterMixelpix
08-09-2010, 07:09 AM
wow, i've not heard of these before but they look awesome !!!
and will be a great cost saver for people who want direct drive pedals but don't wanna pay 'direct drive pedal prices' :)

great stuff !!!!

With the slight problem that it's NOT a direct drive pedal. But hey.

barjack
08-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Perhaps Tama realises that they have an excellent product in their cam-and-chain pedals. Perhaps like Pearl has not found a need to offer a Bell Brass snare, Tama has not yet seen a need to throw one more extremely expensive avionic-looking direct drive pedal into a quickly saturating market. The Eliminator never had the name recognition as the Iron Cobra (esp. after the late 90's redesign), and with that name, people have come to expect Tama to offer a second-to-none dual chain pedal.

doublehammered
08-09-2010, 02:48 PM
With the slight problem that it's NOT a direct drive pedal. But hey.

oh, i thought it would make them direct drive with this new addition.
my bad !

Joey Temper
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Is it coming with a case? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

Joey Temper
08-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Any body have a Idea about a case coming with the pedals?

LowPhreak
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I'd guess that it will include a case.

jondrumming
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Seeing as how Tama recycled the majority of the new pedal from the previous generation Iron Cobra, my guess is you'll be seeing the exact same hard shell case but with "Speed Cobra" emblazoned on it rather than "Iron Cobra".

I know this pedal will probably be quite impressive, but for some reason I don't like it. It looks... well it almost looks cheap in comparison with the previous IC.

Drobac
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s46/drobac/Drums/SpeedCobra3.jpg

paistepower92
08-13-2010, 11:59 AM
The thing I'm wondering about is, will a stomp drive fit this since the stomp drve uses a rolling glide cam.

Sabianist
08-15-2010, 08:57 AM
The thing I'm wondering about is, will a stomp drive fit this since the stomp drve uses a rolling glide cam.

You mean the Power Glide. Maybe.

If the pedal sells well it will.

They will be coming out for Pearl pedals soon.

https://www.stompdrive.com/

MisterMixelpix
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I'll be testing these on Saturday. Will post review.

Joey Temper
09-03-2010, 09:10 AM
I'll be testing these on Saturday. Will post review.

Really looking forward to read that!

MisterMixelpix
09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay, here goes.

Yes, they indeed are the "Speed Cobra". Nearest I can figure, the name comes from the fact that the cam is built such that less footboard travel is needed for beater travel. Thus, it moves faster (that's physics for ya). Indeed, it doesn't take much foot motion at all to get those guys flying along.

First thing I noticed, though, is the footboard itself. It's the exact same length as the average longboard, but with a heel plate. I'm not really sure what the point of longboard + plate was, but there you have it. Even at a size 12, heel toe wasn't too tricky on it. Also, of course, the longboard style means you can get further back toward the hinge and get even more speed with less effort going.

It definitely doesn't have the power of my old IC's, but it is smoOOOooooOOooOOOoooth. Seriously butter. I didn't feel any lag, any grind, any resistance aside from spring tension. It was awesome.

Overall the pedal feels like a marriage between the Iron Cobras and Pearl Demon Drives to me. I say that because the Speed Cobras have the biggest flaw that I had with the DD's: the tension necessary to get a good feel going is such that by the time the beater gets to the pad/head, the spring is stretched out and you've got no power left. That's great for speed, since it means the thing flies back, but damned if it isn't a pain to someone like me. Given some time to work with it, though, it'd likely be an easy transition.

I'd almost say it's the ideal trigger-tapper pedal, except that it's a chain drive for some reason. I have no idea why Tama decided to go through all of that trouble and then use a chain. I'm sure they had a reason, I just don't know what it was.

Are they worth the money? I dunno, the pre-order price was $299 and I'd definitely spring that much for them, but not sure what it'll cost once it's fully released.

LowPhreak
09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I have no idea why Tama decided to go through all of that trouble and then use a chain. I'm sure they had a reason, I just don't know what it was.

I'd guess Tama didn't want to make it direct drive because it might be seen as a "me too" of the Demon Drive, and left the short heel plate so it wasn't a cop of Axis.

MisterMixelpix
09-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Seems like a poor design choice, though. You'd hope that these guys would build the best product, rather than making decisions based on how they might be perceived.

LowPhreak
09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Well, if the design functions as they want and they think the market will like, who's to say if chain, belt, or direct is better? Also, I see what you're saying about the spring tension vs. power or speed, but remember, it IS called the "Speed" Cobra, not the Power Cobra. If you want harder hitting then you can still get an IC or something.

MisterMixelpix
09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
LOL, yep indeedy about that. And I wanted to emphasize that for anyone thinking about pre-ordering these guys. They do NOT have much power. I got a lot more out of my Trick Doms, and those aren't exactly power pedals. Nothing like my IC's with the Power Glide, though.

LowPhreak
09-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, doesn't sound like it'll be the greatest pedal for unmiced kickin'. :(

MisterMixelpix
09-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Definitely not. Frankly I'm not even sure how great it'll be for un-triggered kickin'. I felt like I had no force at the end of the motion.

Sure, I could crank down the spring tension, but if I did that, then the whole beginning of the motion was just too sloppy.

Drobac
09-04-2010, 05:36 AM
I don't know why everybody is talking how Iron Cobras have great amount of power when I have a lot more power with Demon Drives than I ever did with Iron Cobras.

MisterMixelpix
09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
The way the Power Glide cams work, instead of losing momentum as the beater travels toward the head/pad, at the very end you gain some. It's a phenomenal design and sometimes made it feel like I was about to punch through my **** kick drum. It's a feeling that just plain doesn't exist on any other pedal I've used. And CERTAINLY not the Demon Drive in my experience.

Drobac
09-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Those are different pedals for sure and have different feel, but in 6 years with Iron Cobras, I never had this much power like with Demon Drives, not to mention lighter feel and ease of gaining speed.

abacacus
09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Those are different pedals for sure and have different feel, but in 6 years with Iron Cobras, I never had this much power like with Demon Drives, not to mention lighter feel and ease of gaining speed.

So? Just means DD's are better for your feet then IC's. You react better to a lighter feeling pedal, that's all.

MisterMixelpix
09-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Truth!

Y'know, I was thinking. It's true that no pedals will make you faster, but pedals sure as hell can make you slower depending on the way you naturally move your feet atop footboards. So I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't be faster on pedal A than pedal B, it's just a matter of which ones fit best with his playing style.

I say this because I really do believe that I'm faster on my Dominators than on the IC's, but everyone'll say "pedals don't make you faster". Maybe not, but it's seeming to me that my Cobras might have been holding me back.

abacacus
09-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Truth!

Y'know, I was thinking. It's true that no pedals will make you faster, but pedals sure as hell can make you slower depending on the way you naturally move your feet atop footboards. So I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't be faster on pedal A than pedal B, it's just a matter of which ones fit best with his playing style.

I say this because I really do believe that I'm faster on my Dominators than on the IC's, but everyone'll say "pedals don't make you faster". Maybe not, but it's seeming to me that my Cobras might have been holding me back.

I'd counter by saying it's your leg muscles not being well enough developed to push the IC faster :)

MisterMixelpix
09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I'd counter by saying it's your leg muscles not being well enough developed to push the IC faster :)

Ah, but if my leg muscles were more developed, that would mean I'd be able to push the Dominators even faster still, wouldn't it? Not like my added development would only apply to the IC's. ;)

If anything, I'm all development and no coordination. I'm a Crossfitter, former powerlifter. My legs are all right. :p

abacacus
09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Ah, but if my leg muscles were more developed, that would mean I'd be able to push the Dominators even faster still, wouldn't it? Not like my added development would only apply to the IC's. ;)

If anything, I'm all development and no coordination. I'm a Crossfitter, former powerlifter. My legs are all right. :p

Not necessarily. Training a muscle to give more power won't make it faster, it will make it more powerful. My intruders are pretty light pedals, but I play WAY waster on IC's, which feel heavier.

BabylonWillFall
09-06-2010, 02:43 AM

I agree with this 10,000% I did a lot of powerlifting in high school and before that I used to ride a skateboard probably close to 40 hours a week and if you think skateboarding wont make your legs strong, you're high. You get up to 8+ times your bodyweight going down on impact.

I think playing double bass has much more of a mental aspect than physical. Your brain needs to make the proper connections with your muscles for them to physically move at the proper speeds. Your muscles obviously soak up the endurance aspect but I think it's a lot more mental.

That being said, there's a certain mental connection between a pedal that inherently is faster than another.

Drobac
09-06-2010, 05:02 AM
So?

I'm just pointing out that the story about ICs being powerful while direct drive pedals are not is not true, that's all. It's all about conjunction between your feet and the pedal. I could go equally fast with both pedals (I have a video with 250 bpm with ICs), but for me it's so much easier to go fast and maintain that speed on DDs than on ICs. I guess that energy required to move ICs is now translated into power on DDs.

MisterMixelpix
09-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Not necessarily. Training a muscle to give more power won't make it faster, it will make it more powerful. My intruders are pretty light pedals, but I play WAY waster on IC's, which feel heavier.

To me, that means the way your feet interact with the pedals is better on the IC's, which is my original point. Pedals do NOT feel the same, the way one makes them go up and down differs greatly and that means you'll be faster on some, slower on others.

It's like Babylon said. This is a skill as much as a brute muscle training situation.

abacacus
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM
To me, that means the way your feet interact with the pedals is better on the IC's, which is my original point. Pedals do NOT feel the same, the way one makes them go up and down differs greatly and that means you'll be faster on some, slower on others.

It's like Babylon said. This is a skill as much as a brute muscle training situation.

Ah, but that means YOU are faster on the pedal... not the pedal being faster overall.

To me, a pedal being faster means that ANYONE can sit down and play faster on it then on any other pedal. Not just one person, who is suited to that pedal.

Drobac
09-09-2010, 03:13 AM
To me, a pedal being faster means that ANYONE can sit down and play faster on it then on any other pedal. Not just one person, who is suited to that pedal.

Well this is not the case. You are confusing the speed of the pedal with the speed of the feet and you are not the only one doing this.

When one pedal is faster than the other it just means that for the same distance the footboard travels, beater travels more distance than the beater on the other pedal. It means that that beater was faster than the other one. Simple physics. But this still doesn't mean your feet are gonna be faster on a faster pedal.

BabylonWillFall
09-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Ah, but that means YOU are faster on the pedal... not the pedal being faster overall.

That's like sticking the worlds greatest drifter in the worlds fastest FWD car. Doesn't matter how fast he and the car are, the end result still isn't going to be as fast as someone who has raced FWD cars all their life.

MisterMixelpix
09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Go back and read Grof's post. If pedal A is built so that one inch of footboard motion means four inches of beater travel, whereas pedal B's beater moves five inches for one inch of footboard travel, it's faster. Simple stuff.

Not only that, but pedals make a difference. Simply saying "I need to train my leg muscles more" when I say I'm slower on Iron Cobras is foolish. I'm faster on the Tricks. For me, they are a faster pedal.

EVERYTHING makes a difference in terms of how we play. Stool height, stick weight, pedal settings, EVERYTHING. It baffles me that so many people act like players "should" perform the exact same regardless of equipment.

abacacus
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Well this is not the case. You are confusing the speed of the pedal with the speed of the feet and you are not the only one doing this.

When one pedal is faster than the other it just means that for the same distance the footboard travels, beater travels more distance than the beater on the other pedal. It means that that beater was faster than the other one. Simple physics. But this still doesn't mean your feet are gonna be faster on a faster pedal.

Technically, you would be correct. However, when dealing with people wanting to play faster, why does it matter? The faster pedal in this case is the pedal which allows the player to play his fastest... which could be pedal A, which would make pedal A the faster pedal for him... even if pedal B is technically faster (I'm using Mr. Mixelpix's numbers here)

That's like sticking the worlds greatest drifter in the worlds fastest FWD car. Doesn't matter how fast he and the car are, the end result still isn't going to be as fast as someone who has raced FWD cars all their life.

I'm not sure what you mean 00**

Go back and read Grof's post. If pedal A is built so that one inch of footboard motion means four inches of beater travel, whereas pedal B's beater moves five inches for one inch of footboard travel, it's faster. Simple stuff.

Not only that, but pedals make a difference. Simply saying "I need to train my leg muscles more" when I say I'm slower on Iron Cobras is foolish. I'm faster on the Tricks. For me, they are a faster pedal.

EVERYTHING makes a difference in terms of how we play. Stool height, stick weight, pedal settings, EVERYTHING. It baffles me that so many people act like players "should" perform the exact same regardless of equipment.

Exactly. For YOU they are a faster pedal. This doesn't make the pedal innately faster then the Iron Cobra, it makes the pedal better suited for you.

As far as sticks and stools, not my area. I'm arguing pedals.Personally, I think a great drummer SHOULD be able to play his best on anything remotely like his own set up. Something tells me Derek and George could jam out full sets on Iron Cobra's :cool:

Drobac
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Technically, you would be correct. However, when dealing with people wanting to play faster, why does it matter? The faster pedal in this case is the pedal which allows the player to play his fastest... which could be pedal A, which would make pedal A the faster pedal for him... even if pedal B is technically faster (I'm using Mr. Mixelpix's numbers here)
I'm not sure about other people but I'm equally fast on both ICs and DDs, it's just easier for me to hit and maintain high speeds with DDs than ICs. And to be honest I doubt someone is faster on one pedal than another. It's the feet which are fast. On some pedals it's just easier to hit and maintain that speed, on others is harder (which depends on one's feet), but the speed of your feet remains the same.

In terms of physics there are faster and slower pedals, and that can be easily proven. Feet does not have anything to do with that.

As far as sticks and stools, not my area. I'm arguing pedals.Personally, I think a great drummer SHOULD be able to play his best on anything remotely like his own set up. Something tells me Derek and George could jam out full sets on Iron Cobra's :cool:
Of course they can. George already said that. If you ask him, factors that affect speed are (in this particular order):

1. feet
2. setting of the pedal
3. pedal

LowPhreak
09-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Personally, I think a great drummer SHOULD be able to play his best on anything remotely like his own set up. Something tells me Derek and George could jam out full sets on Iron Cobra's :cool:

Yes, maybe great drummers should be able to do that, but 99% of them don't. Most play on top of the line stuff, or at least decent medium-range kits & HW that fits their needs best. I'm sure there is a reason for that besides endorsements, durability, or bling factor.

Wider range of adjusting to personal taste, speed/ease of play, added features...all contribute to any good drummers' ability. If they didn't, we'd all be playing the most basic/cheapest HW we could find.

abacacus
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, maybe great drummers should be able to do that, but 99% of them don't. Most play on top of the line stuff, or at least decent medium-range kits & HW that fits their needs best. I'm sure there is a reason for that besides endorsements, durability, or bling factor.

Wider range of adjusting to personal taste, speed/ease of play, added features...all contribute to any good drummers' ability. If they didn't, we'd all be playing the most basic/cheapest HW we could find.

Indeed there is a reason, it fits them better. Doesn't mean it will be better for you, or for me, or for anyone else.

I'm not sure about other people but I'm equally fast on both ICs and DDs, it's just easier for me to hit and maintain high speeds with DDs than ICs. And to be honest I doubt someone is faster on one pedal than another. It's the feet which are fast. On some pedals it's just easier to hit and maintain that speed, on others is harder (which depends on one's feet), but the speed of your feet remains the same.

In terms of physics there are faster and slower pedals, and that can be easily proven. Feet does not have anything to do with that.

Of course they can. George already said that. If you ask him, factors that affect speed are (in this particular order):

1. feet
2. setting of the pedal
3. pedal

So if you can go as fast on IC's as your DD's, the DD's obviously aren't faster. They just work better for you. If you doubt anyone is faster on one pedal versus another, why the argument? Sure, you're right, physics can say one pedal is faster, but why does that even BEGIN to matter if it doesn't actually effect how fast you can play?

I agree with George on the factors that affect speed.

Drobac
09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
So if you can go as fast on IC's as your DD's, the DD's obviously aren't faster.
They are, cause the direct drive system moves beater faster than the chain or belt. You are still confusing the speed of the pedal with the speed of your feet.

They just work better for you. If you doubt anyone is faster on one pedal versus another, why the argument? Sure, you're right, physics can say one pedal is faster, but why does that even BEGIN to matter if it doesn't actually effect how fast you can play?

Because this affects the feel of the pedal under your feet.

abacacus
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
They are, cause the direct drive system moves beater faster than the chain or belt. You are still confusing the speed of the pedal with the speed of your feet.

Because this affects the feel of the pedal under your feet.

It affects the feel. Fair enough. This doesn't make the pedal faster. Maybe it is for you, but maybe it isn't for the guy beside you, therefore the pedal is not inherently faster.

You keep saying the beater moves faster on some pedals, bringing in physics and technicalities and all that. I still ask why that all matters. Sure, the beater move faster, but why does this matter when talking about how fast someone is when they use the pedal? The pedal won't let them play 10 BPM faster, so how is it faster then any other pedal? I don't mean physics wise, I mean playing wise, what actually matters.

Drobac
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
I did never put speed of the feet in corelation with the speed of the pedal. Playing wise, like I said in my previous post, speed of the pedal is one of the factors that affects the feel of the pedal, which is what all of us is looking in a pedal - feel that our feet like the most.

abacacus
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I did never put speed of the feet in corelation with the speed of the pedal. Playing wise, like I said in my previous post, speed of the pedal is one of the factors that affects the feel of the pedal, which is what all of us is looking in a pedal - feel that our feet like the most.

Okay, fair enough. I think I was just misunderstanding your points.

rockerguy211
09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
It's here.

A direct drive would be great. I might buy one if it came with that option.

BabylonWillFall
09-10-2010, 07:04 AM
It affects the feel. Fair enough. This doesn't make the pedal faster. Maybe it is for you, but maybe it isn't for the guy beside you, therefore the pedal is not inherently faster.

You keep saying the beater moves faster on some pedals, bringing in physics and technicalities and all that. I still ask why that all matters. Sure, the beater move faster, but why does this matter when talking about how fast someone is when they use the pedal? The pedal won't let them play 10 BPM faster, so how is it faster then any other pedal? I don't mean physics wise, I mean playing wise, what actually matters.

90% of drumming is physical. Why on earth would you try and take physics out of a factor in using a pedal?

What we've been saying all along is that there are pedals that are faster than others and it's ****ing true. I don't know why we've had to argue about this in what, 4 different threads now? It's like this:
-some pedals are faster
-some people play slower on faster pedals
-some people play faster on faster pedals
-some people play slower on slower pedals
-some people play faster on slower pedals

Holy ****! An epiphany!

Now quit it.

LowPhreak
09-10-2010, 08:04 AM
90% of drumming is physical. Why on earth would you try and take physics out of a factor in using a pedal?

What we've been saying all along is that there are pedals that are faster than others and it's ****ing true. I don't know why we've had to argue about this in what, 4 different threads now?

Exactly.

09-10-2010, 08:08 AM

What we've been saying all along is that there are pedals that are faster than others and it's ****ing true. I don't know why we've had to argue about this in what, 4 different threads now? It's like this:
-some pedals are faster

Holy ****! An epiphany!

Now quit it.

But what I'm not getting is that if someone plays faster on a slower pedal, does that mean that the pedal isn't slow but fast?

Ultimately I don't think that there are vast differences in the 'speed' of a pedal,I'd probably say theres more of a difference in the feel of the pedal and I think it's the USER that has far more impact on speed than a pedal.

BUT that's just me:p

BabylonWillFall
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
But what I'm not getting is that if someone plays faster on a slower pedal, does that mean that the pedal isn't slow but fast?

Ultimately I don't think that there are vast differences in the 'speed' of a pedal,I'd probably say theres more of a difference in the feel of the pedal and I think it's the USER that has far more impact on speed than a pedal.

BUT that's just me:p

No, that means the player is fast.

Two guys have Honda Civics. One of them is a race car driver who races his Honda at track meets all the time. The other is a guy who doesn't race much but his car is turbo'd. The race car driver and the not-so-often guy both race and the outcome is the same.

Which car was faster? Which driver drives faster and is better? Why am I making up reading comprehension problems? Help?

09-10-2010, 08:41 AM
No, that means the player is fast.

Two guys have Honda Civics. One of them is a race car driver who races his Honda at track meets all the time. The other is a guy who doesn't race much but his car is turbo'd. The race car driver and the not-so-often guy both race and the outcome is the same.

Which car was faster? Which driver drives faster and is better? Why am I making up reading comprehension problems? Help?

So if John was travelling by car at 35mph going to meet Brad, who....Lol

I personally think that the race car driver would win, regardless of the turbo (again that's just me)

I kinda know what you are saying, but I'm still unsure on the concept of 'fast' and 'slow' pedals - you can sit me on a crappy pedal or on a high end pedal and for the most part, I'll be the same speed. (Still would probably sound crap though:p) I may however have to put far more effort into sound the same on the low end pedal purely because of 'feel' but maybe I'm just exchanging 'feel' for 'speed' I dunno man.

abacacus
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM

-some pedals are faster

Holy ****! An epiphany!

Now quit it.

No, I will not quit it, because of these points:

"-some people play slower on faster pedals
-some people play faster on slower pedals"

If someone plays faster on a slower pedal, it's hardly slower is it? I'd be more inclined to say more beater motion for foot board motion would translate into a more powerful pedal, not a faster one.

BabylonWillFall
09-10-2010, 02:23 PM
No, I will not quit it, because of these points:

"-some people play slower on faster pedals
-some people play faster on slower pedals"

If someone plays faster on a slower pedal, it's hardly slower is it? I'd be more inclined to say more beater motion for foot board motion would translate into a more powerful pedal, not a faster one.

The horse is dead and your points are invalid.

Hunka, you got the idea man ;p

abacacus
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Just because you think my points are invalid does not make it so. My points are perfectly valid and applicable to the situation.

09-10-2010, 04:00 PM

so basically, 'speed', 'feel' and 'smoothness' are interchangeable?

SoliDeoGloria
09-11-2010, 05:02 AM
It's is 90% the player, 10% the pedal.

LowPhreak
09-11-2010, 07:26 AM
OK then...let's all throw away our ICs, Elims & DDs, 9000s & 5000s, Axis' & Tricks, and Giant Steps. Go find some cheap/crappy/slow pedals to play on, and see how well we do widdat.

00**

BabylonWillFall
09-11-2010, 08:38 AM
so basically, 'speed', 'feel' and 'smoothness' are interchangeable?

Yes but this is based on the players reaction to the pedal. The pedals actual speed would be some calculations based on principles of physics I don't understand lol.

MisterMixelpix
09-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Just because you think my points are invalid does not make it so. My points are perfectly valid and applicable to the situation.

Sure. they're just wrong.

Incidentally, back on topic, the Speed Cobra IS a sweet pedal.

jondrumming
09-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Can I just point out that it really doesn't make a difference whether or not pedal A is faster than pedal B, if a drummer prefers pedal B? Axis pedals ARE faster than Iron Cobras. They are manufactured from a much lighter weight alloy, use lighter beaters, and use a direct drive rather than a chain and cam.

With that said, I wouldn't choose Axis over my Iron Cobras, or any other pedal like it, be it Eliminators, 5000s, Yamahas, or whatever. I accept that if I were to play an Axis pedal, I would be able to play faster once I adjust to them.

But for a number of reasons, I STILL wouldn't choose Axis over Iron Cobras. Number one is price. I bought my kit for $1300. What could possibly justify spending half of what I paid for my kit on a piece of hardware? These are Canadian prices I'm talking about, where an Axis AL-2 goes for $750 and a Trick Pro-1V double sells for $950.

Second is power. Axis-users always get in your face if you say that Axis pedals don't hit very hard. What gets me is that they defend their pedals and say they're the hardest-hitting on the market. Take a look at their pedals, and more often than not they've switched to heavy springs and they're using DW beaters or something else way heavier than the Axis stock beaters.

I love Iron Cobras, and of course I think they're the best pedals on the market. But different pedals suit different drummers better than others, so it is literally impossible to say which is the best.

MisterMixelpix
09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I spent $400 on my Superstar shell back and $200 on my snare. Thus, I spent roughly the same on my pedals as I did on the drums.

Why? Feel. You can't "feel" the drums. Whether you play on a $200 Sound Percussion set or a $10,000 custom built DW kit, they'll play the exact same to your arms. No one will ever say "I can't play on Yamaha drums, they feel weird", or "I'm so slow when I play Ludwigs, but Gretsch is much faster for me." There's tuning and the like, but that's all about sound. If your snare breaks, and you have to borrow one, it might sound like **** to you but you can still play the same songs just as well.

Conversely, how it feels to play this versus that pedal will make a HUGE difference. Borrow someone's Axis pedals when you've played nothing but DW 5000's and you'll be crippled. So I'm MORE than willing to spend money if it means the experience of playing my kit improves.

Heck, it almost doesn't matter what shells/heads/cymbals you use if you don't mind using triggers.

Joey Temper
09-11-2010, 04:55 PM
It's is 90% the player, 10% the pedal.

90 % true and Babylonwillfall got his point here.
I saw some player going at mad speed on some crapy pedals,why? because they new how to use their muscles. Quality and faster pedals like direct drive are making it more comfortable to keep it fast for longer but you have to master the technique before. No pedals will make you faster,ambition will.It's like traveling in 1st class:you won't arrive quicker but less tired ;)

Joey Temper
09-11-2010, 04:57 PM
and I would love to try out the speed cobra to come back to the original thread.It looks very interesting and logical (to me)

BabylonWillFall
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Can I just point out that it really doesn't make a difference whether or not pedal A is faster than pedal B, if a drummer prefers pedal B? Axis pedals ARE faster than Iron Cobras. They are manufactured from a much lighter weight alloy, use lighter beaters, and use a direct drive rather than a chain and cam.

With that said, I wouldn't choose Axis over my Iron Cobras, or any other pedal like it, be it Eliminators, 5000s, Yamahas, or whatever. I accept that if I were to play an Axis pedal, I would be able to play faster once I adjust to them.

But for a number of reasons, I STILL wouldn't choose Axis over Iron Cobras. Number one is price. I bought my kit for $1300. What could possibly justify spending half of what I paid for my kit on a piece of hardware? These are Canadian prices I'm talking about, where an Axis AL-2 goes for $750 and a Trick Pro-1V double sells for $950.

Second is power. Axis-users always get in your face if you say that Axis pedals don't hit very hard. What gets me is that they defend their pedals and say they're the hardest-hitting on the market. Take a look at their pedals, and more often than not they've switched to heavy springs and they're using DW beaters or something else way heavier than the Axis stock beaters.

I love Iron Cobras, and of course I think they're the best pedals on the market. But different pedals suit different drummers better than others, so it is literally impossible to say which is the best.

Your first 2 paragraphs were great then everything went down hill.

Axis have plenty of power. I've used like 4 different beaters on my Axis and I've always been able to slam on them.

I spent 360 dollars on my Axis.

Obviously double bass drumming isn't exactly a necessity to the music you're playing.

Your points are valid.

BabylonWillFall
09-11-2010, 05:42 PM
90 % true and Babylonwillfall got his point here.
I saw some player going at mad speed on some crapy pedals,why? because they new how to use their muscles. Quality and faster pedals like direct drive are making it more comfortable to keep it fast for longer but you have to master the technique before. No pedals will make you faster,ambition will.It's like traveling in 1st class:you won't arrive quicker but less tired ;)

So lets say I can play about 250bpm 16ths on my Axis. 90% of that is 225 BPM. Could I play that on any other pedals than Axis, Trick, and Pearl Elims? Nope. I'd fall flat on my face and I do if I ever have to use someone else' ****.

My drumset is so dialed in and precise to my liking that there's not another kit I could play in the world and feel comfortable without complete control over everything that goes into it.

That being said, "some player going at mad speed on some crappy pedals" probably has dialed himself in on "some crappy pedals" and has been playing them for years and years. Why leave your niche right?

Joey Temper
09-12-2010, 02:52 PM
So lets say I can play about 250bpm 16ths on my Axis. 90% of that is 225 BPM. Could I play that on any other pedals than Axis, Trick, and Pearl Elims? Nope. I'd fall flat on my face and I do if I ever have to use someone else' ****.

My drumset is so dialed in and precise to my liking that there's not another kit I could play in the world and feel comfortable without complete control over everything that goes into it.

That being said, "some player going at mad speed on some crappy pedals" probably has dialed himself in on "some crappy pedals" and has been playing them for years and years. Why leave your niche right?

I 90% agree with the comment of SoliDeoGloria not that you'd be able to play at 90% of your potential on someone else pedals.I wouldn't be able either to play on different pedals on short notice.

When I say crappy pedals I'm talking of relatively cheap pedals you can find on the market + never got any kind of maintenance, same rusty springs that we probably the originals 1 since day 1, no case to travel etc....crappy pedals in my opinion.

paradiddlediddle666
09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Why don't we all agree that different drummers prefer different pedals for different reasons and call it a day? ;)

It's all personal preference, anyway. You can present the most well-founded arguments replete with sound, scientific evidence, and if drummer 'A' prefers the feel of one pedal, while drummer 'B' prefers another, your arguments are bound to fall on deaf ears.

I'm not implying that they're any less valid...just that arguing with someone who has their mind made up about something is an exercise in futility. Different strokes for different folks.

Now...has anyone else tried the Speed Cobra?

MisterMixelpix
09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I believe I'm it!

I feel special. :D

jondrumming
09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Your first 2 paragraphs were great then everything went down hill.

Axis have plenty of power. I've used like 4 different beaters on my Axis and I've always been able to slam on them.

I rest my case. You couldn't get the power you were looking for with the Axis beaters, so you had to try four beaters to get a hard hit.

I spent 360 dollars on my Axis.

Kudos, I have to admit that's a great score! That being said, most people prefer to buy their pedals off the shelf of a drum shop, so they would be paying full price for them. I know I did for my ICs.

Obviously double bass drumming isn't exactly a necessity to the music you're playing.

Actually... 90% of what I play predominantly utilizes double bass. I've just come to realize that playing double bass doesn't always have to mean playing at warp speed. For when I have to play fast, my Iron Cobras can accommodate. For when I'm playing slower stuff where I'm hitting hard, my Iron Cobras accommodate that spectacularly.

Your points are valid.

As are yours. And please don't take my words the wrong way, I do think Axis are built solid, and they're smoother than a heck of a lot of other pedals. They just don't suit me personally. Axis pedals work like a dream for trigger guys, and I'm sure if you throw on some Pearl quad beaters or CB-90s, you could get some serious power. I just think that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a pedal like an Axis in the first place.

Joey Temper
09-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Why don't we all agree that different drummers prefer different pedals for different reasons and call it a day? ;)

It's all personal preference, anyway. You can present the most well-founded arguments replete with sound, scientific evidence, and if drummer 'A' prefers the feel of one pedal, while drummer 'B' prefers another, your arguments are bound to fall on deaf ears.

I'm not implying that they're any less valid...just that arguing with someone who has their mind made up about something is an exercise in futility. Different strokes for different folks.

Now...has anyone else tried the Speed Cobra?

Exactly. It's not about what you are using but how you are using it.

...and I do envy MisterMixelpix because he tried the speed cobra!

paradiddlediddle666
09-13-2010, 06:24 AM
I believe I'm it!

I feel special. :D

As you should. :D

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 07:25 AM
To be PERFECTLY honest, if I hadn't gone in with the intention of buying the Trick pedals, I would have pre-ordered the SC's. For $299 they're pretty hard to top, and I know once they officially get released the price is gonna skyrocket.

I'm still a little befuddled by the design choice of having a longboard-sized footboard WITH the heel plate, but it sure made heel-toe easier.

BabylonWillFall
09-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I rest my case. You couldn't get the power you were looking for with the Axis beaters, so you had to try four beaters to get a hard hit.

Kudos, I have to admit that's a great score! That being said, most people prefer to buy their pedals off the shelf of a drum shop, so they would be paying full price for them. I know I did for my ICs.

Actually... 90% of what I play predominantly utilizes double bass. I've just come to realize that playing double bass doesn't always have to mean playing at warp speed. For when I have to play fast, my Iron Cobras can accommodate. For when I'm playing slower stuff where I'm hitting hard, my Iron Cobras accommodate that spectacularly.

As are yours. And please don't take my words the wrong way, I do think Axis are built solid, and they're smoother than a heck of a lot of other pedals. They just don't suit me personally. Axis pedals work like a dream for trigger guys, and I'm sure if you throw on some Pearl quad beaters or CB-90s, you could get some serious power. I just think that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a pedal like an Axis in the first place.

On the beaters thing; I bent 2 different pairs. I bent my Mapex beaters and my Iron Cobra beaters.

I didn't like the feel of the Sonic Hammers. They were just alien and since I have a ton of throwback, I was afraid to have holes in my shin. So I'm using my DW beaters currently. I likes them.

I think if you use that heavy beater it actually balances out the feel of the light pedals and makes a perfect harmony in feel, fluidity, and overall smoothness of the pedal. I don't think it's mostly a power aspect but more of a feel and even a dynamic issue! I can pull several different sounds and feels out my my bassdrum thanks to the light feel but heavy beater.

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Something to throw out there: "power" and "speed" are pretty well linked, since F=MA and all. Unless that beater's movin' pretty fast, it ain't gonna have any power.

BabylonWillFall
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Something to throw out there: "power" and "speed" are pretty well linked, since F=MA and all. Unless that beater's movin' pretty fast, it ain't gonna have any power.

lol what?

That makes no sense at all.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 1000horsepower cars run 10's in the quarter mile and 600horsepower cars run 9's.

You have to put weight into consideration a lot more aka "M" if I remember correctly.

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure you quite understand how "physics" works. I'm just sayin' that a beater isn't going to be hitting the head very hard unless it's got some velocity behind it. Unless you're using a small bowling ball for a beater, you're talking a difference of weight in ounces, so the biggest factor in "power" will be how fast it's moving when it strikes the surface.

So maybe when we say pedal A is "fast" we're referring not to how quickly it moves in one direction, but how easily it changes direction...

abacacus
09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure you quite understand how "physics" works. I'm just sayin' that a beater isn't going to be hitting the head very hard unless it's got some velocity behind it. Unless you're using a small bowling ball for a beater, you're talking a difference of weight in ounces, so the biggest factor in "power" will be how fast it's moving when it strikes the surface.

So maybe when we say pedal A is "fast" we're referring not to how quickly it moves in one direction, but how easily it changes direction...

F=MA doesn't velocity at all. It involves acceleration. If the pedal is accelerating at a HUGE rate, even if it only moves a quarter inch and isn't moving all that quickly, the force will be large and so will the sound.

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Two things. One is that acceleration is velocity over time, so in order to get a HUGE acceleration, you're going to need a lot of velocity.

The second is that F=MA, strictly speaking, refers to what happens to a body when a force is applied to it (apply force F to a body of mass M and it experiences acceleration A). It's actually not talking about the amount of force the traveling body is EXERTING. It's framed in terms of the body having the force acted UPON it.

Which means that, talking in terms of a bass pedal, F=MA would refer to the force applied from your foot and that would create acceleration A on it, not that it would CREATE force F. After all, a body with ZERO acceleration (think a baseball, which actually has NEGATIVE acceleration) will exert a LOT of force on something if it's got enough velocity. So I guess that means F=MA is kinda irrelevant in this case, my bad.

However, the original premise remains. A bass pedal will only HAVE force if it's actually moving quickly.

abacacus
09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Two things. One is that acceleration is velocity over time, so in order to get a HUGE acceleration, you're going to need a lot of velocity.

The second is that F=MA, strictly speaking, refers to what happens to a body when a force is applied to it (apply force F to a body of mass M and it experiences acceleration A). It's actually not talking about the amount of force the traveling body is EXERTING. It's framed in terms of the body having the force acted UPON it.

Which means that, talking in terms of a bass pedal, F=MA would refer to the force applied from your foot and that would create acceleration A on it, not that it would CREATE force F. After all, a body with ZERO acceleration (think a baseball, which actually has NEGATIVE acceleration) will exert a LOT of force on something if it's got enough velocity. So I guess that means F=MA is kinda irrelevant in this case, my bad.

However, the original premise remains. A bass pedal will only HAVE force if it's actually moving quickly.

That's the only point I was making. You're correct, just using the wrong formula.

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Ahhhhh. Well touche, then! But, in fairness, the reason I was wrong was something different, LOL.

BabylonWillFall
09-13-2010, 08:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXAJedbtbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5RkeuKC1Q

**** physics.

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
And... sigged.

BabylonWillFall
09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
And... sigged.

hahahahahaha

hahahahahaha

Seriously, oh my God I'm laughing so hard. :D:D:D

MisterMixelpix
09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
That's gonna be my new answer for every time someone tells me I can't do something. Even if it doesn't really apply.

dutchdrummer2
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I didn't look further on this thread than the title, but I had the change on playing them at the adams drumworldfestival, and I hate them. the iron cobra is better!

C4NTY
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I was really hoping to try these pedals the other day but seemed to have been misinformed as to their release date over here.

I didnt get on with any other 'speed' pedals I tried, and in the end went back to cobras which I have previously owned

Cannibal Plague
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Why? Feel. You can't "feel" the drums. Whether you play on a $200 Sound Percussion set or a $10,000 custom built DW kit, they'll play the exact same to your arms. No one will ever say "I can't play on Yamaha drums, they feel weird", or "I'm so slow when I play Ludwigs, but Gretsch is much faster for me." There's tuning and the like, but that's all about sound. If your snare breaks, and you have to borrow one, it might sound like **** to you but you can still play the same songs just as well.

Erroneous.. If I switch from my custom built maple snare to my pearl brass free floater, my wrists know the difference. Believe me.

abacacus
09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Erroneous.. If I switch from my custom built maple snare to my pearl brass free floater, my wrists know the difference. Believe me.

Let me guess, they aren't the same size or are tuned differently/different heads?

wsgnst
09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Played it today.

Feels good...nice and smooth.

Nothing revolutionary though. If you like longer footboards you will like the Speed Cobra a lot.

MisterMixelpix
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Put the same head on a same size drum to the same tuning and you'll never, EVER feel the difference. Your arms can't tell Maple from Birch, your foot doesn't know if you're on a bubinga kit or a basswood.

10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Well,'this months rhythm magazine has a review up of this pedal.

They like it. They like is a lot.

Stranjluv101
10-04-2010, 01:46 AM
and before that I used to ride a skateboard probably close to 40 hours a week

Dude, when did you have time to go to class?

:D

BabylonWillFall
10-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Dude, when did you have time to go to class?

:D

I skated to school some days and I'd usually just skate right after until it was late. I slept all day in school so it was whatever.

militia3311
10-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Played it today... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

I didnt realize it was the Speed Cobra until I played it, felt how amazingly smooth and quick it was and looked down for a double take. I thought it was a cheapo pedal on a nice set, but how wrong I was! Great pedal!

Looks arent that "high end", but people arent looking at your pedal when your feet are on them. TAMA definitely did their research. Effort was light and PERSONALLY it felt a lot smoother than the Demon Drives.

This will be my next pedal.

barjack
10-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I played the Speed Cobra single pedal at Guitar Center this weekend. I was pretty impressed. While it took a little bit to get used to the not-quite-shortborad, not-quite-longboard feel of the pedalboard, I found adjustment to be easy and the feel of the pedal to be fast and fluid, far smoother unadjusted than any of the Demon Drives on the floor. I love the fact that the cam is skeletonized, milled aluminum. In terms of features, it's just a prettier, tighter-fitting Iron Cobra IMO, and I still don't understand the full benefit of the "cobra coil" spring. I guess I don't play hard or fast enough.

Final thought: There's finally an "aircraft quality" pedal for chain and cam lovers that can match the fluidity and tightness of assembly that only direct drive Trick and Axis lines seemed to have.

militia3311
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I played the Speed Cobra single pedal at Guitar Center this weekend. I was pretty impressed. While it took a little bit to get used to the not-quite-shortborad, not-quite-longboard feel of the pedalboard, I found adjustment to be easy and the feel of the pedal to be fast and fluid, far smoother unadjusted than any of the Demon Drives on the floor. I love the fact that the cam is skeletonized, milled aluminum. In terms of features, it's just a prettier, tighter-fitting Iron Cobra IMO, and I still don't understand the full benefit of the "cobra coil" spring. I guess I don't play hard or fast enough.

Final thought: There's finally an "aircraft quality" pedal for chain and cam lovers that can match the fluidity and tightness of assembly that only direct drive Trick and Axis lines seemed to have.

I too didnt feel the "cobra coil" until akid asked me how fast i could go with my feet.... I was showing him some grooves and whatnot since he only had been playing for a few months, and found my style to be "fascinating"

When you are going FAST, it really just bounces the board between your feet and it... super wierd feeling but awesome none the less.

Turtlex
10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Looks like an interesting pedal, not sure if Tama took a risk by not making it Direct-Drive or not. I wonder if they'll be able to compete with their rivals. I'm also wondering if the pedal would have been better if they DID make it Direct-Drive. I guess we'll never know, still though, it's nice to have different option to choose from, all the same.

10-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Looks like an interesting pedal, not sure if Tama took a risk by not making it Direct-Drive or not. I wonder if they'll be able to compete with their rivals. I'm also wondering if the pedal would have been better if they DID make it Direct-Drive. I guess we'll never know, still though, it's nice to have different option to choose from, all the same.

had a little time with one today. WOW. excellent feel. Tama certainly did their homework - IMO they've shown that you don't need a direct drive to have such a responsive pedal.

barjack
10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
had a little time with one today. WOW. excellent feel. Tama certainly did their homework - IMO they've shown that you don't need a direct drive to have such a responsive pedal.

Exactly my thought, it seems to be a common misconception that the direct drive linkage is the end-all in response.

ricohorton
10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
i tried the speed cobra double today and am thinking of getting the pedal. the pedal felt real good to my feet. i like the longer board and the lighter chain cam sprocket. there was no side to side play whatsoever in the bearings which was a concern of mine so i checked for this right off the bat. big plus imo. i personally had no problem with the new beater shape. i did tweak the settings before hooking it up to a kit at GC to match my present cobra settings. the pedal felt very powerful and quickly i effortlessly rolled out some kick triplets. i like that Tama removed the toe stop which i always removed anyways. Tama has a thumbs up from me with new generation of the cobra line.

MPF
10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I tried out the single pedal back on Thursday during the Guitar Center Drum Off. They feel so much better to me then my Iron Cobra. SO much so that I may need to buy the double pedal. IT felt so much smoother. IT was lighter but it was not Direct Drive light. So for my feet it's perfect.

Tabla_Man
10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
I finally got a chance to try this bad boy out. I'm going to be switching over soon. I wear size 12's so having a long footboard like that is everything to me. Just a great feel. As much as everyone is on the direct drive kick, I'm going back to chain. Direct drive requires too much work. Yeah they're fast, but they're too fast. Chain just feels better to me.

playinpearls
10-25-2010, 06:38 AM
I tapped on these at GC on saturday. Being a DW guy for years, I thought I was finished buying pedals...but this thing is stinkin sweet. I sounded like crap on it of course cause the response was so different from the 9000. I didn't have time to make any adjustments to it, or even see how it could be adjusted...but I would definitely consider it on my next pedal purchase. It feels like you are just tapping on the floor because of the angle of the boards. Plus its only 399 for a double, which puts it 10x's closer into my budget than the demon drive, which is an "ok" pedal..

pearlreference7101
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
"lightening fast speed." - they misspelled lightning. I tried one at the store and it felt a lot like the regular cobra's, but with an added smoothness.

C&CDrummer
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I too didnt feel the "cobra coil" until akid asked me how fast i could go with my feet.... I was showing him some grooves and whatnot since he only had been playing for a few months, and found my style to be "fascinating"

When you are going FAST, it really just bounces the board between your feet and it... super wierd feeling but awesome none the less.

Wouldn't the coil make it a bit harder for the downstroke? I don't get it ...

C4NTY
11-09-2010, 03:07 AM

Sounds like you need to work on your technique. theres should be no 'bouncing of the board, as your foot should not be leaving it.

The spring does make it 'harder' to press down, but you can accomodate for it by loosening the spring tension a little. Its pretty much swings and roundabouts tbh, but I use cobras these days and Im loving the feel of the coil.

It makes the footboard 'stick' to your foot.

SoliDeoGloria
11-10-2010, 04:36 AM
waiting for it to hit the shores of Singapore!

Muse FTW
11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Here's the official video (if not posted yet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ScwR8HluDc&feature=sub

paistepower92
11-17-2010, 06:03 PM
played one in the store near me, gotta get a job.

jochemvanBerkel
11-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Speedcobra Artist's Response - John Tempesta : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0RInMDzc4&feature=sub

LowPhreak
11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Realistically, I would expect a Tama endorsee to say good things about their products, the same as any other company's endorsee. I've always liked John T., he seems like a great guy but his opinion on the SP here doesn't carry much weight for me. Also, I'm sure he could do the same on most any other pedal as he did in that vid. Let's be honest: it's just another marketing vid.

By chance, I happened across a single SP yesterday at a GC which had just come into the store and out of the box. Didn't have time to set it up to play on a kit, but I just looked it over and mounted it on the pedal rack next to its peers like the IC PowerGlide, Eliminator, Demon Drive, and 9000, 5000. As smooth as the SP bearings felt, I noticed it didn't have nearly as long of a wobble as the other top-end pedals. That says something to me about inherent friction or perhaps overall balance of the pedal. It could be too that overall lighter moving mass would not have enough inertia to make for a long wobble.

Just thinking out loud here.

It felt light, almost as light as the DD, and I felt that probably the Cobra Coil needed adjustment to throw the footboard back quicker, or the main spring needed more tension. Maybe it was just the set-up out of the box, but I wasn't blown away by it at all. However, it certainly looked great, and the longer board felt good.

I'm not married to Pearl or any other brand for pedals, but I'd definitely have to spend more time with the SP before I'd plunk down $175.+ to replace my Elim.

11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Speedcobra Artist's Response - John Tempesta : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM0RInMDzc4&feature=sub

nice vid.

with the little time I've spent with the speed cobra in my local shop, I think I've found my next pedal. Smooth action, great feel and a fantastic 'long board' style. As lowphreak shows, it isn't for everyone, but I was certainly impressed.

Pity as it won't match my Pearl hihat stand.

ThoR1987
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Well let me tell you that it's everything but cheap...is very different once you have the actual pedal, the pics aren't fair...
Own this pedal and it's a great great pedal, it's always about preference

ThoR1987
08-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Actually there's a way to make the speed cobras direct driven...if that is your concern. Check out the stompdrive retrofits, very cool approachfor direct drive players

Punk in Drublic
12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I just got a set of speed cobras for christmas. I absolutely adore them.

wiirluvenit
12-29-2011, 03:32 AM
I too got my SC twins for Christmas I'm slowly not liking them, They feel very heavy and hard to control. I feel really awkward playing them so I put em back in the case and went back to my pearls.

Jutt8
12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
I too got my SC twins for Christmas I'm slowly not liking them, They feel very heavy and hard to control. I feel really awkward playing them so I put em back in the case and went back to my pearls.

I had the same experience when trying this pedal over and over. Felt sluggish and heavy to me too, but I will say this. It hits hard!! This is why we have choices.

Punk in Drublic
12-29-2011, 07:46 AM
adjustability is everything... I'd seriously recommend messing with your setup for a few more days before selling. maybe try taking the cobra coils out entirely and see how that feels?

wiirluvenit
12-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I had the same experience when trying this pedal over and over. Felt sluggish and heavy to me too, but I will say this. It hits hard!! This is why we have choices. Yeah that is the one thing I liked is it HITS HARD, and the speed-o ring is really nice!

adjustability is everything... I'd seriously recommend messing with your setup for a few more days before selling. maybe try taking the cobra coils out entirely and see how that feels?
I will experiment more with it!

Punk in Drublic
12-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds good. I still haven't dialed mine in but I might even figure out a way to add toe stoppers or maybe some beater weights to it, just to see. Experiment!

wiirluvenit
12-30-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm curious Do the cobra coils actually do anything.

Punk in Drublic
12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Definitely, they add to the "lightweight" feel of the footboard because they essentially throw it back up at your foot when you release. This can be helpful for certain people searching for a footboard that feels glued to their foot when playing heel-down, but can make for some weird chain-slappage when playing heel-up at certain speeds. That's where I'd start, if I were in your situation, as it is the main difference between the SC's and "conventional" pedals.

wiirluvenit
12-30-2011, 08:16 PM
This pedal doesn't feel light at all.

wiirluvenit
12-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Nice ended up stripping the screw trying to take it off the slave. I also feel like an idiot because I forgot about the spring tension I cranked to to half way. Before I for some reason though I couldn't go very tight just by looking at it but I got it out of the case and cranked it up and I'm playing on a pillow and it feels pretty decent I'm gonna try it on the kit tomorrow.

Punk in Drublic
01-01-2012, 05:42 AM
sorry about the stripped bolt. any music shop worth their salt should throw you a new one without charging you. but keep us posted once you get some playing time on the kit!

Tantrix
01-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Long-time DW player here. I switched from a DW 9000 over to the Speed Cobra, and I'm going to stay with it.

If this isn't fast enough or fluid enough for you, I don't know what is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkhh4sTcPM

wiirluvenit
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
I ended up selling them and getting an amazing deal on some DD!

sab-ian
01-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Tried them again yesterday..dont like the long foot boards, guess that is because i'm used to the I.C's
Again, i think with most drums & equipment, it's personal, what i dont like, others love, & vice versa.