im not happy with the sound im getting with my head choice:
i have a 13 inch pearl championshipp ffx marching snare
right now i have a evans mx gold standard on batter
and a evans mx5 on resonant
im looking for that perfect whack noise that DCI drumlines achieve
i believe ive narrowed it downto either a
remo white max
or an evans hybrid

I think you have to understand that almost no corps use the 13" snares anymore non in the top 12 at least.. this you probably know. But trying to get a 13" snare to sound like a corps snare you heard is probably not possible.

the second thing you have to remember, a corps snare line sounds amazing when all 8,9,10 snares play at once. but individually up close most corps snares sound very different almost ugly to the player.. usually boxy and choked..or the opposite pingy and having many over tones.

lastly is corps tuning scheme is varied, to pinpoint how a corps tunes and trying to duplicate it is almost impossible. and when you do most people do not like, corps tune them to sound good 50 yards away not inside a bedroom, basement ect...

honestly tune to what you like. and stick with that..sorry for the little soap box speech i just hear this a lot.

my head recommendations is hybrids (i like the greys) with ebony bottom.

either way most cases the drums pitch is a result of the bottom head. I can tell you I am not a fan of the Evan's gold standard..very hard to tune and i just didnt like the feel. Evans got it right with the Hybrids,

maybe try to tune the bottom head, or tune the guts. if the guts are stretched out that will make a drum sound real bad.. experiment with some tape across the guts or a patch on the bottom head.. tons of things you can do before you jump to a new top head.

tenor man 36
06-20-2010, 06:19 AM
\tons of things you can do before you jump to a new top head.

trust me its defiantely time for a new top head my gold standard is really worn and used however wheni bought my drum it came with two premier tenduras which i tried and thought they were horrible

xscraper
06-20-2010, 10:28 AM
trust me its defiantely time for a new top head my gold standard is really worn and used however wheni bought my drum it came with two premier tenduras which i tried and thought they were horrible

Ah I gotcha, Well from my experience we been using White/blackmax for years. and while its a great head last year we switched to Evans hybrids greys and. we have 14" new Pearls I am sure you will get similar results just higher pitch.

I like the feel of the head it has a slightly softer feel then the Max's its a little bit darker but sounds amazing plus I do like the look. one thing though just like the black max's they will show stick marks

I am surprised you didnt like the tenduras, the Premier version was a great head, the sound of a falam but softer on the hands.

tenor man 36
06-20-2010, 02:44 PM
I am surprised you didnt like the tenduras, the Premier version was a great head, the sound of a falam but softer on the hands.

yeah i noticed it was kind to your hands but i just hated the sound it produced i see on the bay right now there is a hybrid and the bidding is only at $5.99 and it ends at like 10 tonight so maybe ill try the hybrid

tenor man 36
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
just purchased the vans hybrid head for $5.99 plus $6.50 shipping!
great deal huh?
thanks you xscraper for your input heres a REP for ya!

tenor man 36
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
got my hew evans hybrid grey head today and i love it!
thanks again xscraper