PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

ianator
06-13-2010, 09:22 PM
i've been looking for some time to try and shorten my hi hat rod does anyone have any suggestions of what to cut it with, oooooooorrrr can i just buy a shorter one and use it? its way to high and it drives me crazy.

dwdrummer1991
06-13-2010, 09:26 PM
i've been looking for some time to try and shorten my hi hat rod does anyone have any suggestions of what to cut it with, oooooooorrrr can i just buy a shorter one and use it? its way to high and it drives me crazy.

you might be able to get a shorter one. What hi-hat stand do you have? I know most DW hi-hat stands come with two rods, one short and one long, so you can adjust however you want, I'm not sure on any other brand though.

ianator
06-13-2010, 09:31 PM
i play tamas i cant find anything on their website.

buzz doan
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
really i would save your m money and just cut it. ive cut them with hack saws cut one once with a cut off wheel in a grinder. its no big deal to cut it.

SLIPKNOT1
06-14-2010, 09:27 AM
A hacksaw is the easiest way. Then when your done, hold it at a 45 degree angle to a grinding wheel and spin the rod in your fingers. You will make a perfect round top on it. Then put a thin coat of clear nailpolish on the newly rounded top to prevent rust since you will have ground off the chrome finish.

Jonah Hex
06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
A hacksaw is the easiest way. Then when your done, hold it at a 45 degree angle to a grinding wheel and spin the rod in your fingers. You will make a perfect round top on it. Then put a thin coat of clear nailpolish on the newly rounded top to prevent rust since you will have ground off the chrome finish.

^^ This. Exactly what I did. Worked great. :D

barjack
06-14-2010, 10:55 AM
DW makes a universal short rod. Most 9000 hi-hats come standard with a long and a short rod, though you can buy the short one (14"?) seperately. I have one on each of my hi hat stands. With the cymbals at a comfortable height, there's only about 1-2" of rod sticking up above the clutch, a perfect height.

Ask at any drum store that stocks DW gear. I bought all three of my rods for way cheap ($10 each) as the store had sold the hi-hat stands that they were supposed to go with.

Take a look at the hi-hat stand in the photo... The older Pearl stands like this one are lower, and thus slightly shorter, but on average that's about where you'll be with the DW pull rod. I have a newer Pearl stand and a PDP 900 2-leg stand, both sit about 2" higher than this 80's model.

http://www.heavenside.net/Image/Personal/PearlRewrap/FiberglassInStudio4.JPG

drumdudeguyfello
06-14-2010, 12:32 PM
DW makes a universal short rod. Most 9000 hi-hats come standard with a long and a short rod, though you can buy the short one (14"?) seperately. I have one on each of my hi hat stands. With the cymbals at a comfortable height, there's only about 1-2" of rod sticking up above the clutch, a perfect height.

Ask at any drum store that stocks DW gear. I bought all three of my rods for way cheap ($10 each) as the store had sold the hi-hat stands that they were supposed to go with.

Take a look at the hi-hat stand in the photo... The older Pearl stands like this one are lower, and thus slightly shorter, but on average that's about where you'll be with the DW pull rod. I have a newer Pearl stand and a PDP 900 2-leg stand, both sit about 2" higher than this 80's model.

http://www.heavenside.net/Image/Personal/PearlRewrap/FiberglassInStudio4.JPG

no offense, but, how is 10$ cheap for a simple hi-hat rod? :eek:

ianator
06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
i actually like the idea of buying a new rod better i'm not too tool savvy. are you sure dw rods are universal??

buzz doan
06-14-2010, 07:56 PM
take the rod clamp it down and just halk saw it up man and do what slip knot1 said to really clean it up. if you mess it up then buy a new one. atleast you could try and save a buck

TalonTsi90
06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Raise your hats up... :)

barjack
06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
no offense, but, how is 10$ cheap for a simple hi-hat rod? :eek:

That's how much normal length rods are online, so $10 is a pretty good deal for something you can't find every day. In fact, I'd say $10 is a very cheap price to pay to customise your hardware to your liking, far less than the investment in a cutoff wheel or bench grinder if you lacked to tools to cut your existing rod down.

barjack
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
i actually like the idea of buying a new rod better i'm not too tool savvy. are you sure dw rods are universal??

There seem to be two thread types on most hat stands, standard rh threaded and metric rh threaded. I believe most hi-hat stands are standard threaded. I do know for certain that the DW rods fit modern DW, PDP, Pearl, Tama, and Gibraltar stands as I've installed them onto those brands myself.

nathanieljobe
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I took a hacksaw to mine years ago! Cheap, easy and kind of fun.

K3ith R
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Go to your local Home Depot and have them cut it for you. That is if you don't have a hack saw and a vise.

HTownDrummer
06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Or if you are in high school (and taking a shop class) head over to the welding
room and use a plasma cutter(easy and fun if you have never used one), or if you dont have a welding shop then get on a circular pipe saw with carbide blades and go slow (speed of blade). Or a table saw but you would need a miter gauge cause if you didnt and the saw kicked back you would have a pretty good chance of catching a metal rod to the face.

WTAdrummer
06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
room and use a plasma cutter(easy and fun if you have never used one), or if you dont have a welding shop then get on a circular pipe saw with carbide blades and go slow (speed of blade). Or a table saw but you would need a miter gauge cause if you didnt and the saw kicked back you would have a pretty good chance of catching a metal rod to the face.

I don't think the table saw would kick back unless you did an angled cut.

HTownDrummer
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't think the table saw would kick back unless you did an angled cut.

Ya but it would be hard with only using hands to try and make a stright cut.

random_jedi
06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
does pearl make a shorter rod I could swap out?

playinpearls
06-22-2010, 08:29 AM

sorry, but i'm not gonna recommend a plasma cutter for a hi hat rod... way too much overkill, on top of not cutting a smooth edge... hack saw will be best. I'll have to try the nail polish...never heard of that...:)

buzz doan
06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
did you get this taken care of yet. telling ya hack saw will do it even a hand grinder with a cut off wheel will work good.

Ehrin
06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
After I took the hacksaw to my hi-hat rod, I went a little nuts and cut the excess off of all of my cymbal holders on my rack. Now everything's nice and even and you can see the beautifull finish of my drums without the random chrome bars mucking it up.

playinpearls
06-24-2010, 05:35 AM
i hope you dont change your set up any time soon....

thats what stops me from chopping extra off....although i could probably cut a ft off my DW stand poles to save some weight...

drumsolo86
06-24-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm using the 9000 short rod and I still want to hack it down even further.
I want to put couple of splashes just directly above the hi-hat.

I must be nuts. Will use the hacksaw method.
Anything that I should be wary of after the deed's done?

melvinspeed
06-24-2010, 07:38 AM
After I took the hacksaw to my hi-hat rod, I went a little nuts and cut the excess off of all of my cymbal holders on my rack. Now everything's nice and even and you can see the beautifull finish of my drums without the random chrome bars mucking it up.

I've trimmed a few of my tubes but nothing as dramatic as yours. I used a pipe cutter for this, not a hacksaw.

I'm using the 9000 short rod and I still want to hack it down even further.
I want to put couple of splashes just directly above the hi-hat.

I must be nuts. Will use the hacksaw method.
Anything that I should be wary of after the deed's done?

De-burr (smooth out) the edges with a file or grinding wheel. Place a drop of clear nail polish over the top of the rod to prevent corrosion.