PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Hat drop clutch problem

wynnjo09
06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
So i bought a gibraltar drop clutch for my hi hat, and i like it :)
I keep the space between the hi hats pretty small because i like that sound. But when the clutch isnt hooked on the hi hat, it sometimes opens when i hit it hard enough. I dont wana adjust the ctutch too far because when i play with it "hooked" it wont sound great?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !

idrum2.0
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Unfortunately I dont think theres much you can do about it.
Im currently using the Pearl drop clutch and have the exact same problem.
Only thing I can reccomend is to adjust screw on your hi hat stand which will put more angle on your bottom cymbal.
This way you can have a greater space between your hi hats (which should hopefully keep them 'unhooked' when closed) while still keeping that nice sloshy half-open sound when 'hooked'.

Robdrum2000
06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm having the same problem with my new DCL300P. When I try to play it wide open the hook always slips, very annoying especially for a 40 dollar drop clutch. I've tried adjust the top and bottom positions and it made no change. I did put more traditional felts on it instead of the rubber ones it came with. This helped a bit, but I've still had it slip on me a couple times. I think it has something to do with the hooks spring being too loose.

playinpearls
06-14-2010, 06:44 AM
i gave up using a drop clutch for this reason.

I ended up just clamping my hats open about 3/8 to a half inch, and it suited all my playing. I never cared for the sound of hats just sitting on top of each other...

JoshDecent
06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I ditched my Gibraltar drop clutch because of these problems too. I think I really only bought it for the novelty initially, because I had to force myself to use it the rare times I did.

mano_drums
06-14-2010, 12:11 PM
the only thing really good enough to work the way yo want, is the cobra clutch, they are really the best thing instead of just a drop, see mor info about it on the tama website

BassB
06-14-2010, 03:02 PM
the only thing really good enough to work the way yo want, is the cobra clutch, they are really the best thing instead of just a drop, see mor info about it on the tama website

downside is that they cost A LOT as opposed to a 10 dollar dropclutch, and they take up extra space that someone might need down there.

mano_drums
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
downside is that they cost A LOT as opposed to a 10 dollar dropclutch, and they take up extra space that someone might need down there.

That's also true, but reading all the other comments, they can't stand having loose hi hats when the top one is dropped, i hated having a drop clutch and ditch it, its really uncomfortable having loose hi hats when closed.

so a good investment would be the cobra clutch, that way you can have your hi hats closed properly and tight.

Naigewron
06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Tama Cobra Clutch. Problem solved.

wynnjo09
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
can you use a cobra clutch on any brand of hi hat?
Mines a pearl?

mano_drums
06-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Mines a pearl?

yes, ypu can use it on any brand, because you attach the cobra clutch to the lower part of the stand and it presses over the pedal to keep the top hat closed tight. check it

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Cobra-Clutch-102951183-i1172506.gc

I can't find it on tama's website btw, don't know why

Naigewron
06-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Mines a pearl?

Officially, it only fits the Tama stands, but I've seen drummers use them on a lot of other ones. Basically, it should fit just about anything, since all it really does is push on the pedal.

Gavin Harrison uses one, and I believe he uses Sonor or Pearl hihat stands.