PDA

View Full Version : converting a dw 8002?

thejamman
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
hi there i currently have the dw 8002 double pedal and i was wondering if that is a way of converting it with new foot plates to the newer longboard version of it

im getting into harder metal now, and i think the longboards would be a more suitable choice

any help would be great
thanks

WKTDDrummer
06-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Possibly. I've tried to find the thread which was posted maybe a month or so back. This guy converted his 9002 pedal to a longboard by reversing the hinge on the heelplate. I think he also made some custom footboards out of aluminum.

Were you going to buy the longboards from DW?

I have the new longboard 8002, it's a great pedal! But it is definitely not for those who play heel down. Hope this helps you.

thejamman
06-07-2010, 03:39 AM
brilliant thanks for the reply

yeah i was planning on seeing if i could buy the longboards from DW, but i dont really want to be drilling new holes in the base plate, im no engineer by any means

i love the 8002 anyway, its got a lot of power to it, which is what i need

but i feel the longboard might perhaps be more suitable, i play metal mainly and definately heel up

how do the longboards feel in comparison?

BassB
06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
brilliant thanks for the reply

yeah i was planning on seeing if i could buy the longboards from DW, but i dont really want to be drilling new holes in the base plate, im no engineer by any means

i love the 8002 anyway, its got a lot of power to it, which is what i need

but i feel the longboard might perhaps be more suitable, i play metal mainly and definately heel up

how do the longboards feel in comparison?

you'll have to drill no new holes, you just have to unscrew the footboard and the hinge, remove the footboard from the hinge, and put the hinge back on the pedal, only backwards. then you just measure how long your new longboard has to be to reach from the turned around hinge to the chain assembly.

why would you need a longboard, if you play heel up?
if this is about heel-toe, you do not need a long board for that, doesn't matter how big your foot is.

thejamman
06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
ok thanks for that, thats good to know, ive emailed dw hopefully they will get back to me

i tried the longboard 8002's out at a shop and i just prefer the way they feel and im likely to develop my double bass a lot, and as i get faster my foot move down the footboards and i feel the extra length would be of benefit

WKTDDrummer
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
The longboard felt better to me then the regular. It felt effortless to play and is very smooth.

thejamman
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
yeah i thought they were incredibly smooth, but still felt kinda powerful if need be

have you had any problems with the springs on yours, in review many have said they go quickly, and it happened on mine as well

WKTDDrummer
06-08-2010, 01:32 AM
The springs seem fine to me and I've had the pedal for 6-8 months, I can't remember how long. Some people do say that DW springs wear easily but my last pedal was a 7002 DW(which I bought used) and before that I had a 5000 single(which was a GC floor model) and the springs on those were fine to me the entire time I had them.

thejamman
06-08-2010, 03:26 AM
they are great springs in terms oh how they make the pedal feel, i bought a tama one just as a replacement and its not half as good

i think it maybe hit and miss with the springs, as ive seen very good reviews and a couple of bad ones because of the springs

i just got an email back from dw, and i can go to my local dealer i can order a kit to convert them to longboards which is great

WKTDDrummer
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Cool, I hope you'll like em. I'm pretty sure then we'd be the only people on the forum with that pedal, at least I haven't seen anyone else with it.

thejamman
06-08-2010, 01:08 PM
yeah they are great pedals, hopefully if my local shop will order it in i shall give the longboard option a go

yeah i havent seen many people who have this pedal, and i think its pretty good on the whole, has a lot of power but its also nice and smooth i think its the best of both worlds between the 5000 and 9000

TalonTsi90
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
you'll have to drill no new holes, you just have to unscrew the footboard and the hinge, remove the footboard from the hinge, and put the hinge back on the pedal, only backwards. then you just measure how long your new longboard has to be to reach from the turned around hinge to the chain assembly..

Or trash the DW and get an Eliminator from Pearl. Then you have 3 foot board positions to choose from with just a twist of a key (from the top of the board too) :)

thejamman
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
ok, seems a quite biased opinion towards pearls, i tried every brand of pedal and this was my favourite

eliminators came 2nd ill admit

but they just dont quite do it for me

TalonTsi90
06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Pearl hardware = HARDwear. Meaning, it takes a loooooong time to break. I have only purchased two pedals since roughly 1992, and both were Pearl. The only thing that broke on any Pearl item ive had was one spring on the single pedal i had before i got the first double pedal (came with set, so i didnt count it in the two above), and one used 'heavily used' Unilock tom arm that came with the set in my sig and thats hardly cause to switch to another brand. Even though i broke the tom arm, someone else abused it before i got it.

Ive played on a 9000 and an Axis as well (during the time i had my first Pearl double) and i didnt like either of them. Was too hard to play with the DW, my ankle and foot would get tired out fast, and the Axis, well it had no feeling and i didnt like how high my heel sat when resting, or playing softly with my heel down. So nothing has fit me like a Pearl, and nothing has lasted like them either. So, yea im biased ;)

thejamman
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Pearl hardware = HARDwear. Meaning, it takes a loooooong time to break. I have only purchased two pedals since roughly 1992, and both were Pearl. The only thing that broke on any Pearl item ive had was one spring on the single pedal i had before i got the first double pedal (came with set, so i didnt count it in the two above), and one used 'heavily used' Unilock tom arm that came with the set in my sig and thats hardly cause to switch to another brand. Even though i broke the tom arm, someone else abused it before i got it.

Ive played on a 9000 and an Axis as well (during the time i had my first Pearl double) and i didnt like either of them. Was too hard to play with the DW, my ankle and foot would get tired out fast, and the Axis, well it had no feeling and i didnt like how high my heel sat when resting, or playing softly with my heel down. So nothing has fit me like a Pearl, and nothing has lasted like them either. So, yea im biased ;)

fair enough, im not gonna knock you for that

i admit myself pearl does a good job on hardware overall and thier cheaper pedals are surprisingly good, i just prefer the 8000, not sure if you have ever tried one but its almost similar to the eliminators only a bit more smooth i would say but still has that heavy feel

and i agree with axis and similar pedals like demon drives, they feel too light for me

TalonTsi90
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Only time ive felt a DD was with my Harley boots on (i play with Reebok crosstrainers) so i cant comment on that since the boots are heavy to start with.

But i think there are two issues with them and the Axis':

No cross beater bar. From an engineering stand point (no im not, but it has run in the family) i cant see how anyone could convince me that the single sided design would be anything but asking for failure down the road. Same thing with a BWM motorcycle with only having one sided rear arms.

I think thats also a partial design flaw in double pedals, but less so cause the slave still has a cross bar, and the master only has to hold the beater weight. For the Elim double, if i ever went to two kicks, i could simply convert and not have to buy two singles, so thats nice too.

thejamman
06-08-2010, 04:29 PM
i have the same option of converting to two singles if need be, so really it is on a par with the eliminator, in my eyes its just what feels good and its all personal opinion

wow this has side tracked slightly from the initial thing, but yeah in that instance the eliminator is handy if you want to change the footboard, i might stick with the original pedal depending on how much the footboards would be