PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Mount positioning

Black_Magic1514
06-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I was curious as to opinion. MY MMX toms were bought used. One I converted from an original 80's RIMS mount and the other already had the opti-mount on it. How should the mounts be positioned. Grommets (rubber pieces) flush against the hoops; grommets flush against the lug. Or just floating on the tension rods allowing the drum a generous amount of movement. By the way when I say flush I don't mean tight at all just in a position that doesn't allow the grommets to slide left to right.

David_DX
06-03-2010, 04:10 AM
there are numerous threads about this, just use the search and you will get what you are searching for.
Short: pearl shows their sets with optimounts always with the rubber touching the lugs (bottom and top) some people prefer to set it up differently...

drumtechdad
06-03-2010, 08:27 AM
there are numerous threads about this, just use the search and you will get what you are searching for.
Short: pearl shows their sets with optimounts always with the rubber touching the lugs (bottom and top) some people prefer to set it up differently...

IIRC, Al once said here that the grommets are towards the lugs as you say, but they leave a little slack, say, 1/4" or so. The grommets are not pressed tightly against the lugs.

I've tried that and found it to give the most resonance.

SLIPKNOT1
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
IIRC, Al once said here that the grommets are towards the lugs as you say, but they leave a little slack, say, 1/4" or so. The grommets are not pressed tightly against the lugs.

I've tried that and found it to give the most resonance.

Correct. 1/4" is a bit much, but it works. A bit over 1/8" is what i use, with a feeler gauge.

3pearlkits
06-03-2010, 04:16 PM
The most comprehensive discussion of optimount positioning is in a "reference" section thread.

Somewhere in that thread, it was discussed that Pearl, for the NAMM shows, re thought how opti's are put on and started to put the top grommets of the opti touching the bottom of the batter rim and the bottom grommets "floating" between the lug and the reso rim.
I have found this isn't possible with older 80's kits, there just isn't enough room to float the bottom grommet between the lug and the reso rim, but with MMX this shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, some say grommets on the lugs both top and bottom, some say under the rim and floating, and still others have suggested grommets against both rims.
Perhaps you could try all these methods and see which one turns out most to your liking for resonance...

DrumYoda
06-04-2010, 02:38 AM
There is a particularly good thread that was posted by Gene Okamoto which you should look for.