PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cymbal stand buying

drumdadanddaughter
05-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I need another cymbal stand for an 18" crash I'm getting in the next month or so. I'm looking for deals on one in Canada, and I came across this:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?details=1&id=221&inv=84600

I've never heard of Sonic Drums. I don't know if it's a good idea to buy this or not. I currently have a straight (16" crash), a boom (20" Ride) and a hi-hat stand, all Pearl 900 series. Would this fit my needs? It doesn't need to leave my drum room at home.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice you can give me.,

PYRRHO
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
It's a piece of crap.

Stick with any stand from any major manufacturer, and you'll be fine.
Tama
Yamaha
Pearl
Mapex
Sonor
Gibraltar
DW
Ludwig

barjack
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I need another cymbal stand for an 18" crash I'm getting in the next month or so. I'm looking for deals on one in Canada, and I came across this:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/drums.cfm?details=1&id=221&inv=84600

I've never heard of Sonic Drums. I don't know if it's a good idea to buy this or not. I currently have a straight (16" crash), a boom (20" Ride) and a hi-hat stand, all Pearl 900 series. Would this fit my needs? It doesn't need to leave my drum room at home.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice you can give me.,

Those stands are terrible, and the blurry little picture is misleading. They have tiny tube widths (like 3/4", 1/2", 3/8"), the height collars are all direct pressure, and the tilter mechanisms on the cymbal top and the boom angle adjuster are truly junk. That's the type of stand you'd get with a CB or other $300 beginner drumset, and "$99 MSRP" is laughable. It would be far better to save up and buy a Pearl 900-series stand, or look into one of the $39 Sound Percussion stands available from Musician's Friend. Or buy used through Craigslist.

Against
05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
with the nice setup of hardware you already have, you might as well stick with the series you're using and get another 900 stand.

Neko
05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Stick with a reputable brand. I've destroyed my fair share of cheap stands.