PDA

View Full Version : Best SINGLE Pedal? Really Need Some Help.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 05:42 AM
Hey guys. I currently have a double Eliminator, but I can't even remember the last time I actually used double bass in our music, so it's kind of in the way. I really would just like to buy a single pedal and ditch the Elim's.

I've really only ever played Eliminator's, besides one DW 7000 when I was younger and a GHOST pedal. So I'm looking for ideas on what yall consider to be the fastest, smoothest, most powerful, and best quality single pedal for me to check out?

I was considering the Demon Drive, but haven't been hearing too good of things about them. Any help will be appreciated!

44Ronin
05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Only you can decide what is best for you.

Try out a bunch of different models.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Yeah I know, our music stores are possibly the worst around, so if I have some ideas of what to check out it will help greatly, since I know who has what and who doesn't. I'll most likely have to travel a few hours to check them out.

I won't buy anything without actually playing them.

croomz
05-13-2010, 06:19 AM
why not just remove the slave pedal from your current eliminator? that's what i do if i'm not going to be using double bass.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 06:57 AM
why not just remove the slave pedal from your current eliminator? that's what i do if i'm not going to be using double bass.

Yeah I have done that too, but I've had these pedal for years and I'm looking to replace them, they're kind of falling apart since I bought them used. There are odd screws that aren't part of the pedal holding things together too. So instead of replacing the double, I'd rather just go to a single.

croomz
05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Ohhh, gotcha. Good idea then haha. Ever thought about a Yamaha direct or chain drive pedal?

Rush equals love
05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
If someone wants to claim design flaws on the Demon Drive that might make it not be durable.... ok. (rock solid for me so far though). If someone wants to say its not for them... okay. But to say it's crap and won't allow you to play complicated patterns, which I've heard... it's ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4kgysYdh0
I LOVE my single. LOVE it.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Ohhh, gotcha. Good idea then haha. Ever thought about a Yamaha direct or chain drive pedal?

Well I've played one very briefly, but never really had a chance to sit down and actually tweak one. I can check into those. Thanks!

If someone wants to claim design flaws on the Demon Drive that might make it not be durable.... ok. (rock solid for me so far though). If someone wants to say its not for them... okay. But to say it's crap and won't allow you to play complicated patterns, which I've heard... it's ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4kgysYdh0
I LOVE my single. LOVE it.

Great video man. Yeah that's basically more of the playing I do. I guess I'll have to check them out then. I've been playing Pearl pedals for years and never had a problem, I guess for some people it just doesn't work. I'll have to actually take a day and just sit at the music store and tweak some of them. Thanks for the ideas! More are welcome.

barjack
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Definately go to a music store and try as many pedals as you can. Even the difference between an accelerator or a round cam can make your foot style feel completely different! Almost every pedal on the intermediate or professional market nowadays is built very well, so buy which one feels right under your foot, a feeling only you can decide upon.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Definately go to a music store and try as many pedals as you can. Even the difference between an accelerator or a round cam can make your foot style feel completely different! Almost every pedal on the intermediate or professional market nowadays is built very well, so buy which one feels right under your foot, a feeling only you can decide upon.

Thanks man!

Yeah I was basically just wanting to know which ones were faulty and about the quality. I want this to last me a long time and hold up on the road. I definitely will check all that I can.

EricD
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I love my DW9000's. If you can find a Mapex Falcon, try it also. A lot of people like Iron Cobras, but they weren't for me.

audiotech
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I own a lot of different single pedals from early Tama Rolling Glides to the the Tama Power Glides with and without the Cobra Coil to the Pearl Eliminators to the Yamaha chain/belt drives to the Trick Pro1V and they all give me trouble free excellent service. The thing I like most about the Trick is that they're very easy to adjust without having to crawl all over the floor to make a simple tension adjustment. The Yamaha belt drive has a very smooth, fluid feeling. The Pearl has an almost infinite number of adjustments due to the switching of the cams and the Tamas are what they are, built like a you know what, very dependable. When I sit behind a kit, the pedal is the farthest thing from my mind. When the music starts it really doesn't matter what pedal I'm playing as long as it's dependable and all the above are. As most others already said, your foot should really be the judge.

Dennis

barjack
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks man!

Yeah I was basically just wanting to know which ones were faulty and about the quality. I want this to last me a long time and hold up on the road. I definitely will check all that I can.

From my personal experience, the only pedals I've come across that had function problems were made by Mapex, though manyMapex owners stand by their gear. As for Yamaha and Pearl direct drive pedals, you have to be very careful when testing them out. Direct drive technology requires precise setup and adjustment by the owner, and most of the demo pedals on the floor of Guitar Center or other stores have their drive mechanisms too loose or too tight.

I would check out the major manufacturers- Pearl, DW, Tama, Yamaha. All four make a close-in-quality and competitive product, though some have their specific benefits. From my standpoint, DW is the reigning master of tooth cams while Tama makes the smoothest felt-lined cams. Pearl Eliminator pedals are arguably the most modular and can be swapped from chain to strap and from low to high pedal board in seconds. Yamaha pedals are precise and lightweight, and while often overlooked on the "cool bass drum pedals" market, they have a very competitive direct drive unit, often far cheaper than any Demon Drive, Trick, or Axis. Even Gibraltar and PDP have recently released lines of pedals that far exceed the quality of previous offerings.

All in all, forget brand. Just find the best feeling pedal you can afford. If you hate the brand, your foot should cover it up nicely.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys! Well I've played a DW9000 and it was alright, but a little too heavy, and the Iron Cobra was just kind of missing something.

The only problem I have with the eliminator is the cam. My cam seems to fly off sometimes even when it's in properly. Maybe mine is just faulty, but that's the only reason I wouldn't want another one. I'm thinking direct drive is the way to go. I'll have to just check them out and screw around with the tweaking.

Hopefully the guys at the music store will forgive me for setting up an air mattress and ordering some pizza to spend the time to do so.

croomz
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I think you would enjoy the Yamaha pedals.

Rush equals love
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys! Well I've played a DW9000 and it was alright, but a little too heavy, and the Iron Cobra was just kind of missing something.

The only problem I have with the eliminator is the cam. My cam seems to fly off sometimes even when it's in properly. Maybe mine is just faulty, but that's the only reason I wouldn't want another one. I'm thinking direct drive is the way to go. I'll have to just check them out and screw around with the tweaking.

Hopefully the guys at the music store will forgive me for setting up an air mattress and ordering some pizza to spend the time to do so.

Maybe you should try playing air if 9's are too heavy for you :p

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I think you would enjoy the Yamaha pedals.

I will definitely check them out. I've always been curious about them, just never had time to mess with them. I'm out of school after today, so I'll have some time before summer classes to see what I like.

Maybe you should try playing air if 9's are too heavy for you :p

I'm not saying the pedals are too heavy, the feel is too heavy.

EricD
05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm not saying the pedals are too heavy, the feel is too heavy.

Adjust them more. Try changing the cam from default if that's where you tried it. I moved mine to more of an Accelerator feel rather than a mix of Accelerator and Turbo. At first, I thought mine were too light, then I got them adjusted where I like them and they're perfect.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Adjust them more. Try changing the cam from default if that's where you tried it. I moved mine to more of an Accelerator feel rather than a mix of Accelerator and Turbo. At first, I thought mine were too light, then I got them adjusted where I like them and they're perfect.

Yeah I was actually borrowing them from a friend and I didn't really mess too much with the settings, I'm sure I could have got it right. I did adjust the springs and what not, but it didn't really do much, I just didn't want to throw his pedal out of wack for him haha.

EricD
05-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah I was actually borrowing them from a friend and I didn't really mess too much with the settings, I'm sure I could have got it right. I did adjust the springs and what not, but it didn't really do much, I just didn't want to throw his pedal out of wack for him haha.

Another one I tried that felt really really good was the Axis AX-X single. Would take a couple minutes to get used to, but it felt really nice under my foot.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Another one I tried that felt really really good was the Axis AX-X single. Would take a couple minutes to get used to, but it felt really nice under my foot.

Yeah no one around here has any Axis pedals to try out, and no one I know has any either, so I've never even seen one in person, much less played on one.

chilledbongo
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
i would go w the single pearl eliminator. i have never heard of cams 'flying out.' these pedals are made like tanks, have interchangeable straps or chains, plus i think 6 different cams: black, white, red, blue, yellow and purple. plus they are not overpriced.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
i would go w the single pearl eliminator. i have never heard of cams 'flying out.' these pedals are made like tanks, have interchangeable straps or chains, plus i think 6 different cams: black, white, red, blue, yellow and purple. plus they are not overpriced.

Yeah I've never heard that either, but for some reason mine tend to fall out. Maybe mine are just old now. Needs replacing.

Strat-Master
05-13-2010, 09:58 PM
i dont mind the iron cobras, but im a dw guy at heart. I love the dw5000 pedals.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
i dont mind the iron cobras, but im a dw guy at heart. I love the dw5000 pedals.

Yeah I want to look into the 5000's, I use to have a 7000 when I first started playing drums, and I liked it alright.

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
On the subject of direct drives.....anyone have any feedback on the new Ludwig Speed Kings? I haven't played one of the new ones, but I play my dad's all the time and it seems a little wobbly, not much of a plate to keep it stable. Anyone know much about these?

timdrums08
05-13-2010, 11:43 PM
As stated, try before you buy, but the more prominent names or brands are prominent for a reason, because people have played and liked them (tama, yamaha, dw, pearl etc.) Just know that at any music store, the feel of a pedal will only be in the ball park of what you can expect from it. Just because a pedal feels one way in a store, doesn't mean that's how it is. Ask the sales rep if you can adjust it, sometimes pedals are just taken out of the box and assembled, not tweaked or anything so it can be hard to judge.

gmorgens
05-14-2010, 12:58 AM
why not just remove the slave pedal from your current eliminator? That's what i do if i'm not going to be using double bass.

+1

Big Bad Drum Lad
05-14-2010, 09:01 AM
+1

Like I already said, my Eliminator's cams do not stay in place. They fall out while playing sometimes. That's why I'm getting a new pedal, and I would rather just go to a new single and not a double.

Neko
05-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Be sure to check out some Yamaha pedals. Their direct drive model is much less than the Axis and Demon Drive pedals but they are solid. I am also partial to the footboards since I play with socks.