PDA

View Full Version : Need a new throne

vinniepaulrocks
05-11-2010, 01:01 AM
So my gibralter I had finally broke completely in two. I kinda want something with a backrest but nothing too huge. Any recommendations as far as bang for the buck(I'm willing to shell out some dough as long as I get my moneys worth)?

David_DX
05-11-2010, 04:42 AM
If you want a backrest, you have the choice between Gibraltar, Pearl, Tama... to name a few I think Pork Pie and Roc'n'Soc have also some with a backrest.
As for the price: Most thrones are the high-end product of the particular company, Pearl for example cost 200$ or something. The others are way cheaper but not that much. Maybe you could look for a used Gibraltar, pearl or Tama, because I know, that they offer a backrest as a single part.
That's what I have done: I have a Tama Ht 530 off eBay and I will be buying a new backrest online...
hope this helps

"the shrub"
05-11-2010, 05:01 AM
I would recommend the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet. It has some really cool features that would come in handy for gigging, like the collapsable back rest. Plus, it's a quality throne that is sure to last many years. I'm still using my old Tama throne from about five years ago, w/backrest.

croomz
05-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Tama Ergo Rider for the win!

chilledbongo
05-11-2010, 07:28 AM
ive had this one from ludwig for several years. very sturdy. works well.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ludwig-LM449THB-Modular-Drum-Throne-with-Back?sku=446327

seems like the same one gibraltar sells. probably from the same factory.

MIND_DRUMMER
05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Roc-N-Soc tractor style seat with manual spindle and backrest for 160$ usd. To me it an excellent deal...

SABremer
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I have 2 Tama 1st Chair thrones, and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't have the back rest, but there is a model that does. Without is about 150 bones though. Here's a pic. I'm only 5' 4", so mine is way low...

gmorgens
05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a Tama 1st chair, and have the same one for years and years, its older than my children, its firm buit it lasts, and I just added the backrest to it. Havent tried the others you mentioned except the roc and soc, but not a fan of the adjustment on it.

"the shrub"
05-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I have a Tama 1st chair, and have the same one for years and years, its older than my children, its firm buit it lasts, and I just added the backrest to it. Havent tried the others you mentioned except the roc and soc, but not a fan of the adjustment on it.

I have the same one, and absolutely love it. My only complaint would be that the back rest is burdonsome when you want to bring it to gigs as it doesn't collapse easily, hense my recommendation for the Ergo-Rider.

Vinnie,
If you don't care about a collapsable backrest, go for the 1st Chair.

oX_Rhythm_Xo
05-11-2010, 05:34 PM
My vote goes to RocNSoc. I've got the Nitro Air-Lift model, with a red top. Comfy as hell, absorbs a lot of shock and saves your back.That model cost $160 on MF without the backrest, but you can always buy one separately/later. I've had mine since xmas '08.. best gift I ever got from a girlfriend :p

Barticus
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I've got a Roc-n-Soc Nitro that is like new (back rest and hydraulic lift) that I'm not using.

I'll send you a PM.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/barticusru/DSC00771.jpg

playinpearls
05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Roc-N-Soc tractor style seat with manual spindle and backrest for 160$ usd. To me it an excellent deal...

i have had this throne for over ten years...a definite win!:)

i never use a backrest though...

Clone285051
05-14-2010, 04:00 AM
I have the same one, and absolutely love it. My only complaint would be that the back rest is burdonsome when you want to bring it to gigs as it doesn't collapse easily, hense my recommendation for the Ergo-Rider.

Vinnie,
If you don't care about a collapsable backrest, go for the 1st Chair.

I disagree about the backrest.

My Ergo rider with backrest fits completely in my hardwarecase ... just unscrew the seat and throw down the backrest ... thats it.

I totally recommend it !

quicksticks
05-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I have two Pearl Roadster thrones. I added the Gibralter universal backrest ($50) to each. It's the best hardware investment I ever made. I can play for hours without getting a back ache. Note, these are for threaded backrest tubes. I have never tried, but they say in the literature that they will not work with hydraulic thrones. The backrests have a plastic or bakelite clamp which is very heavy duty which clamps to the threaded tube of the backrest. There is NO wobble and they are rock solid. Any throne can now have a comfortable, adjustable backrest.

drumdadanddaughter
05-14-2010, 10:15 AM
I would recommend the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet. It has some really cool features that would come in handy for gigging, like the collapsable back rest. Plus, it's a quality throne that is sure to last many years. I'm still using my old Tama throne from about five years ago, w/backrest.

I have this one. It is a killer throne. I challenge anyone to try to make it wobble.

MisfitDrummer88
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
One word "Roc-n-soc" I think that's considered one word? They are great. Real back saver.

oX_Rhythm_Xo
05-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like most of the votes are going towards Roc-N-Soc and Tama. I've never sat on an Ergorider for more than 5 seconds, but again, I love my air-lift Roc-N-Soc to death. Before I got that throne, I played on a $35 PDP throne that used to make my back ache within 20 minutes. Nowadays, I can play for ages without feeling anything.

MPF
05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Roc-N-Soc all they way. I've used one for 4 years now. There's no way I can go back.

"the shrub"
05-15-2010, 06:45 AM
I disagree about the backrest.

My Ergo rider with backrest fits completely in my hardwarecase ... just unscrew the seat and throw down the backrest ... thats it.

I totally recommend it !

I was referring to my 1st Chair being burdensome, hence the recommendation for the Ergo.