PDA

View Full Version : Bass pedal chain broken

thanksmisfortune
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Hello. I have a PDP DP402 double bass pedal. Today I was jamming when the chain completely detached from the footboard on the right (main) pedal. It appears part of the metal that was holding the chain and footboard together has completely snapped in half!

I do not know what to do. I have had this pedal for 3+ years. I also don't have the box/warranty.

readytofall
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Well you're either going to have to pay for a replacement part (if available), or a new pedal. Is the price difference worth the extra hassle, instead of just picking up a new pedal at your local GC or whatever? I have no experience with DW or PDP, so I can't tell you what their after safe service is like. Pics would help as some people on here may be able to help you indentify the supposedly broken piece.

Genius Switch
05-07-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.pacificdrums.com/parts/default.asp# for the part number. You will probably have to contact an authorized PDP dealer to order the part.

For future reference, this section of the forums is dedicated to Pearl products only. I'm not a mod but this thread might get moved to the hardware section.

barjack
05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
This happens on those 400-series pedals. They're great pedals to get into double bass drumming, but most double bass drummers are playing pretty loud, hard music and single chain pedals just don't hold up over time like a double chain or direct drive pedal does.

I just replaced this part on a single 400-series pedal for a friend. The part number is PDSP1204 and the chain includes the little chrome bracket that screws the chain to the bottom of the footboard. There are two different types of 400-series pedal, the tooth cam kind and the felt cam kind. If you have a tooth cam, DW and older Tama chains will retro-fit onto this pedal with a little mechanical ingenuity. If yours has a felt-lined runner and no teeth, Pearl chains should retro-fit with similar hacking. I was lucky to find my OEM part for a really good deal in a parts bin at my local music store, but if you have to buy one new, you might consider this a good opportunity to upgrade to a heavier-duty pedal and sell your old pedal to make up some of the difference.

The 3rd option is to find another busted 400 single pedal, they pop up all the time on eBay and Guitarcenter.com's Used Gear Pages, and buy it to scavange for parts. You could probably get one for $20 or less.

SLIPKNOT1
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Hello. I have a PDP DP402 double bass pedal. Today I was jamming when the chain completely detached from the footboard on the right (main) pedal. It appears part of the metal that was holding the chain and footboard together has completely snapped in half!

I do not know what to do. I have had this pedal for 3+ years. I also don't have the box/warranty.

As someone has already mentioned, the First Aid section is for issues with Pearl products only. That is why your thread has been moved to the hardware section.

That aside, it makes no difference if you do not have the box or reciept, the warranty has expired anyhow (Pacific hardware has a 1 year warranty). Your best bet is to go to a dealer and have them order you the parts, but you will have to pay for them. If you have lot's of free time, contact DW via email at: [email protected]

Or by phone at: 800-453-7867

Ill warn you in advance, the customer service there is lousy at best. If you email them, you might get a response in a few days. But often you will get no response. And calling them? 99% of the time you will sent to voicemail and then wait for days for a response.

Their website even makes it clear they are not too interested in customer service. This is taken right off their website:

We encourage you to contact your authorized DW dealer for any pricing or availability questions and support/warranty issues or you may contact the Customer Service Department via the information below. Please keep in mind that although each and every email is read, due to the high volume of requests, our Customer Service Department cannot guarantee a personal response to every inquiry.

Pretty messed up, right? What they are basically telling you is their products have so many issues that customer service is bogged down all the time and they have no interest in hiring more staff to handle it. So they simply say, We might not get back to you. And you wonder why i would never buy a Pacific product?

Also, feel free to browse the Pacific website and see if you can find ANY warranty info. One would think if you had a great warranty, you would flaunt it, right? Oddly enough, the DW and Pacific website's have a very similar "Info" link that leads you to an FAQ section. On the DW site, there is a warranty info section. On the Pacific site, there is not.

My opinion? You got three years out of that pedal, call it a loss and buy something new from a company who cares. It's likley going to take well over a week and at least $20+ depending on what you need. If you can wait, fine. Otherwise, get something new and make it a spare.

barjack
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
My opinion? You got three years out of that pedal, call it a loss and buy something new from a company who cares. It's likley going to take well over a week and at least $20+ depending on what you need. If you can wait, fine. Otherwise, get something new and make it a spare.

+1. PDP "service" is non-existant, and their answer is usually "well, if you'd be interested in upgrading, we have this other line known as Drum Workshop...". Pacific's hardware value is in the price. Once it breaks, it's time to upgrade.

SLIPKNOT1
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Pacific's hardware value is in the price. Once it breaks, it's time to upgrade.

Agreed. Some of the Pacific hardware stuff is pretty decent, especially for the price. It just does not last, espcially if used often. But for the home user who does not play hours a day? it's fine.

The_James
05-07-2010, 05:28 PM
That pedal is only worth $100 new, why would you spend 1/5 of the price just to fix it?
Buy a new pedal, haha.

thanksmisfortune
05-08-2010, 07:09 AM
I appreciate everyone's input. This was my first double pedal and I have put HOURS of use into it. It is a great pedal for the price; my double bass skills have developed greatly over the years of using it. But in the long run it would probably be a waste to buy parts and fix it, when it could end up breaking again.

I play DW's. I have a DW 9000 hihiat. Time for my double pedal to match. So that brings me to my next question. Which DW double pedal would you recommend for the money? I play mostly alternative/indie rock and have been drumming for 6 years

SLIPKNOT1
05-08-2010, 07:44 AM
I play DW's. I have a DW 9000 hihiat. Time for my double pedal to match. So that brings me to my next question. Which DW double pedal would you recommend for the money? I play mostly alternative/indie rock and have been drumming for 6 years

Untill you get into the realm of super fast double bass playing (and even then it's arguable) there really is no pedal that works better for one style of music over another. I would suggest going out and trying all the lines they offer and see what works best for you. Frankly, the 9000 double is a bit overkill. And many DW artists who get their gear for free still prefer the 5000 double. So i would definatley suggest trying those both out.

But if you want my honest opinion, i would suggest forgetting about brands and simply trying all the big name bass pedals without bias and buy what works best for you at the best price.

Reizar
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM

I had a Pacific 402 that lasted about that long. Unless you really REALLY like that pedal and can get a replacement chain assembly to fix it, it's time for an upgrade.

If you're loyal to your brand as far as pedals are concerned, you might be interested to know that Pacific is in fact owned by Drum Workshop. As far as series, I'd recommend the 5000, as it seems to be the most durable of DW's pedal line.

timdrums08
05-10-2010, 08:32 AM
The 5000 is definitely a great pedal, for some reason to me, it has more "feel" than the 9000. While the 9000 is definitely a great pedal, it's pricey. You won't go wrong with the 5000 or you could look at some tama or peal pedals, and apparently the mapex falcon is getting some good reviews, i have no experience with that one though.

thanksmisfortune
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
This might sound ******ed but I know someone who knows how to weld... would it be possible to weld the chain back on to the footboard as a temporary replacement? I'm using my buddy's 20+ year old pedal atm and it is just absolutely terrible... ready to fall apart.

However I'm still looking at different double pedals. Anyone with firsthand experience that can tell me any MAJOR differences between the DW 3000 and the 5000?

timdrums08
05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Are you looking at the double pedal version or the single? The double pedal 5000 has a built in conversion for the slave, it definitely looks sturdier, the base plate appears to be more heavy duty. As far as I know, they look very similar other then aesthetics. The 3000 just seems to be an older model, it's cheaper by like, 70 or 80 bucks depending on where u get it. Honestly though, I think anything you get will be an upgrade. What are you willing to spend if money's a concern? Around the price range of 150 to 300 will get you a decent to very nice pedal that will last you a long time.

thanksmisfortune
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
That's the price range I'm looking for. And for the 3000 the double version. I've read that the 3000 is the same thing as the 7000?