PDA

View Full Version : Is Mapex Falcon a solid pedal?

quim_cardoso
05-05-2010, 04:47 AM
I’m planning on buying the double falcons, but I’m worried about Mapex Hardware quality…

What are your opinions on these pedals, so far?:confused:

Thanx

David_DX
05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
for the price it is a very good pedal, and many people who bought it, are very happy with it. But before you buy a pedal, you should try many pedals, as many as you can. Because maybe the Falcon is just not what you're looking for...

wiirluvenit
05-05-2010, 07:50 AM
I tried it and it felt sluggish even with the spring tightened to the max.

Bonzoman
05-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Does tightening the spring a lot increase speed? I thought that would create friction...?

Mapex hardware should be good and like Pearl or Tama or the other guys out there; they produce in an ISO factory, so the pedal shouldn't outright explode lol.:)

McMetal
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I have read all good reviews.

JustDrummin
05-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I've heard nothing but good things, but again, you should try out a variety of pedals. Pedals feel different to different people. Some guys swear by Axis/IC/DW/whatever, while you may actually like Yamaha in the end. It's just personal preference.

And high spring tension allows the pedal to rebound more quickly, but it really doesn't actually do a lot with "speed". A lot of guys I know play with their springs really lose, and their feet are fast as hell.

quim_cardoso
05-06-2010, 03:15 AM
My concern is because Mapex last pedals (Janus) had some problems, but I’ll give these “Birds” a try!!!!

Thanks guys…

quim_cardoso
10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi
I bought this pedals 5 months ago, and I couldn’t be happier!!
This is the smoothest chain/strap pedal I’ve ever played! (I had Cobras for 6 years, Yamaha DD for 1Y and Elims for 2Y)

Check them out, but please take some time to play whit the settings because I didn’t like the factory settings!

Jonah Hex
10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Reviewed them back in February:

http://www.drumrock.com/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=103&CATID=2|3|4|5|6|7 ;)

Homeularis
10-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Gotta get me some. Those things are just BA!.

Gonna get me the Mapex Black Panther Blaster snare too.

tommc2000
10-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I switched from IC's with the coil to the Falcon dbl pedal. I am very happy with the change. Quality pedal!

barjack
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
As someone who was very staunchly anti-Mapex only a few years ago, I can say that the Falcon is an exceptionally well-built and modular pedal. I appreciated the Pearlesque swappable chains and cams and while I still didn't like the overall finishing and cosmetic setup as much as the Tama or the Pearl chain pedals, I can't think of anything mechanically I'd want that the Mapex doesn't offer. The only negative I an say of the Falcon is that I didn't find the finish/powdercoat on the baseplates or the towers to be especially nice. That's not much of a complaint, I suppose. The pedal I played was a double, but since I'm a terrible double bassist, I mostly played with the right side board, setup with the straps. It felt almost exactly like my tuned up P2000, also with a strap.

The way I figure, if you already have a DW9000, Pearl Elim, Tama IC, etc. these will be more of a crossgrade. I have no desire to switch away from Pearl because of the interchageable parts and my large supply of extra bits I've accumulated... but were I upgrading and in the market for a quality pedal, ESP for hard rock, I would place the Mapex among the top tier pedals to test. I can even see Mapex's interchangable cams to be a plus over Pearl for some drummers because of the metal vs. plastic construction.

kinstar
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Probably is very solid but you should consider other pedals too - if you haven't already.

I've been using the DW 5002 (http://www.thomann.de/fi/dw_5002td3_double_pedal.htm?sid=8a01cae0ade476458c 3854be72e9d403)'s for almost a year now and I've been more than happy with them. They're great for fast 220 bpm doubling but also great at just keeping a solid 160bpm 4/4 beat.

BackBeatKidd
10-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I have one. Theyre 100% solid, and 100% quality. And if you thought the pedal was sluggish, you should have changed cams and changed to strap drive. Its a blisteringly fast and effortlessly smooth pedal. I'd recommend to anyone. Ive already convince 1 person to buy one instead of a dw 9000 or demon drive.