PDA

View Full Version : Optimounts or ISS???

thedrummer
09-16-2002, 11:54 PM
Just wondering what you guys prefer, and why??

GMSDrummer
09-17-2002, 05:17 AM
I.S.S. "moves" too much. its not AS secure in terms of bobbing up and down as the optimounts are because the opti's hold the shel at the bottom of the rim. this is more secure. the I.S.S. however only holds the top.

jmr1599
09-17-2002, 11:47 AM
im gonna have to say the iss just because it lets the drum sustain more..... god knows i love my ring.... true that the opti is more secure.. but ya gotta have the ringout...
thats just me..

prankmonkey
09-18-2002, 05:04 PM
ISS!!! I love to see my babies 'dance', because I KNOW they aren't going anywhere, not as tight as I keep them, anyway! :D Opti-Mounts just look strange to me, and take away from the natural beauty of Pearl's finishes (my eye is drawn to them instead of the drums), but that's just my opinion. RIMS mounted drums move and dance as well, so why not ISS? ISS is the best mounting system so far, and I would never use anything else, unless I just had to (like for 16" and 18" toms). Just my thoughts on this topic!! Cheers, Prank :cool:

PADman
09-18-2002, 06:52 PM
I agree prank with the aesthetics issue on the OptiMounts. If you're using a rack there's not much you can do. Mounting the toms that overhang your kick on cymbal stands with clamps will put most of the 'ugly bits' out of direct sight of the audience and allow more of the natural wood beauty to shine through.

dshade82
09-19-2002, 07:14 AM
I've had both, and I have to go with the optimounts. I had a problem with getting the I.S.S. to mount right on the shell, i.e. in the middle of a set, I had my 10" tom fall off and bounce off my kick drum and snare (let alone my knee) Also, I didn't like the way the ISS changed the pitch of the drum from the pressure exerted on the rim. So I switched to optimounts, and have been completly satisfied.

Keep Rockin!! :cool:

Nez
10-29-2002, 09:36 AM
I've only just got my export selects (and haven't tried drums with optimounts) but I'd certainly have to agree with Prank on the way they look - the optimounts don't look nearly as elegant (in simplicity terms) to me...
as for how they effect the sound - well I don't really won't too much sustain from my drums anyway, so I don't mind too much!

bigshuby182
10-29-2002, 01:31 PM
I think Optimounts are better, the ISS just don't feel stable enough. I like how they look, even if they do distract from the finish a little bit.

Lost At... SRX
10-29-2002, 06:38 PM
Strangely, I actually really like the way my OptiMounts look. Weird I know, but I actually think they look good. They're well designed and are easy to use. I kind of think ISS mounts look a bit flimsy and generic but again that's just me... I'd be worried about my hoops getting bent with ISS mounts. I just think the OptiMounts are probably the best mounts out there, they support the drum at the top and the bottom, putting minimal pressure on any of the parts, and evenly distributing the load. Contrary to what some people think they don't actually put any stress on the rods, they don't even touch them, they fit over the top of the lugs without putting and strain on them. Most of all, they seem to their job of letting the drums resonate as naturally as is possible.

jokerjkny
11-05-2002, 11:13 PM
gonna resurrect this thread, and ask, which setup is lighter? which one isnt a pain to lug around with along with the rest of your gear?

Mark of Cenla
11-25-2002, 10:45 AM
I had a set with I.S.S. mounts, and I hated them. I much prefer the Mapex mounting system. Peace.

Ronnie G
03-21-2004, 09:22 PM
I like R.I.M.S. They distrubute the weight most evenly over the drum and cause less stress while still sounding great.

Lucky7Band
03-21-2004, 09:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^

RIMS werent an option, although they are quite good.

Its opti-mount for me.

betterthanfew
03-22-2004, 08:18 AM
out of the two i would have to say optimount, but i prefer the DW or Starcast Systems.