PDA

View Full Version : marching band mis haps

tenor man 36
06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
not sure if this happened to any of you, but last marching season we were just done practicing so we were headed back to the band room, i was playing bass drum at the time so i couldnt see where i was going and unfortinately tripped over a traffic cone and smashed the bass drum in my face well i will never march bass again there was no damage to the drum but just a huge bump on my forehead. so what are your marching band mis haps

sanman
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Way, way, way back in the day, during my junior year, we had one of our bass drummers (also, like you, coming back from the practice field, on the way to the band room), was talking to some people, and he was not watching where he was going at all. Well, we have a construction class at our school, where they build stuff like storage sheds (and then sell them for charities locally). Normally, after they finish building something, they bring the bricks they use for supports back inside the class room, but on this particular day, they didn't. Needless to say, this bass drummer (who really couldn't see where he was going anyways, being that he was playing the largest of the 4 bass drums, and it came over maybe a foot above his head) stepped in one of these larger sized concrete bricks (you know, the grayish looking with the portion thing in the middle of it), and fell down. Somebody called an ambulance, as he was not moving for 30 minutes. He ended up dislocating his shoulder. After that, nobody from the construction class left out a single brick...

We also had a guy take a tumble down the bleachers at a football game with a (plastic, luckily) sousaphone around his neck...like the bass drummer, he was talking to somebody, but not sure what he did at the time where he fell down them, but he rolled down from the top of the bleachers to the bottom railing! And then he gets up, dusts himself off, and goes back to where the sousaphone players sit down...

tenor man 36
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
very funny my band istructor said when he was in clooedge they were outon the field right after it rained hard he was playin bass drum too and his shoe got stuck in the mudd on the 50 yd line and it stayed there during the whole performance while he marched with 1 shoe well it ended up half the dance line and the clarinets got taken out by tripping over he thought he was in so muchg trouble but the drum majors and instructor laufghed about it why does it seem why soime thing always happens to the bass drummers

keep em coming

vicfirthrules10
06-20-2009, 02:17 PM
it was a mishap but it really sucked because it was our first year having our new drums. my stand did not exactly hold my drum up very well and fell down about 12 rows of metal football bleachers, but it was fine.

fhdrumline
06-21-2009, 12:28 AM
tenor man 36, did you mean coolidge, az?

Mr. Hadouken
06-21-2009, 01:33 AM
not sure if this happened to any of you, but last marching season we were just done practicing so we were headed back to the band room, i was playing bass drum at the time so i couldnt see where i was going and unfortinately tripped over a traffic cone and smashed the bass drum in my face well i will never march bass again there was no damage to the drum but just a huge bump on my forehead. so what are your marching band mis haps

Dude 45 degrees.... right shoulder! That is just not cool your instructors didn't help you out there! I don't let my kids go anywhere unless they are 45 degrees.

But back to subject haven't had anything bad happen. But at a parade we talked another younger member into pulling his shirt over his shorts while the bus was loading up. He sat in the middle isle like he was popping a squat. so then me and the other snare player went up front to the driver saying "hey, we just wanted to let you know ahead of time that we're sorry about you're bathroom." This being a normal yellow school bus. Needless to say the Driver FREAKED! saying "he better clean it up" he turned on the lights to see the kid with his shirt over his shorts. Funniest thing we had done in awhile.

tenor man 36
06-21-2009, 07:16 AM
tenor man 36, did you mean coolidge, az?

i ment colledge

AKx
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I dropped a stick last week.

the only mishap I can recall off the top of my head is many many years ago when I first started at about 10yrs old (I used to play snare for a marching scout band, made entirely of snares and a bass, over here in the UK - we just did fairly traditional parades/carnivals/community etc) we were on a rememberance day parade, and as we marched off, one of the lads managed somehow to accidentally unhitch his drum. Unfortunately we were front of the parade, he was front line, and we were at the top of an incline, so the drum hit the ground and started rolling, and didn't stop, watched by hundreds of amused bystanders. oops.

no.1cooldrummer
09-21-2009, 05:32 PM
At a competition... I think it was actually right after warm-up before we headed to the field, we were walking from our warm up spot and there was a curb, so one of the snare drummers slipped (it was wet) and fell, the snare came off as they fell down and the bottom head broke, bad timing

tenor man 36
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I dropped a stick last week.

the only mishap I can recall off the top of my head is many many years ago when I first started at about 10yrs old (I used to play snare for a marching scout band, made entirely of snares and a bass, over here in the UK - we just did fairly traditional parades/carnivals/community etc) we were on a rememberance day parade, and as we marched off, one of the lads managed somehow to accidentally unhitch his drum. Unfortunately we were front of the parade, he was front line, and we were at the top of an incline, so the drum hit the ground and started rolling, and didn't stop, watched by hundreds of amused bystanders. oops.

now thats a drum roll:D:D:D