PDA

View Full Version : Mallet collection.

DrummerEH
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, I thought I would try and get this place going a little so I figured I would ask about what everyone has in ther timpani mallet collections.

Mine
Payson: Soft. Vic Firth: T1, T2, T4, T5. Tim Genis: Gen 3, Gen 7. Cloyd Duff #1's. Black Swamp DG7's.

blade123
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6

Marimba6
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Full sets of:
Black Swamp Bamboo
Tim Genis
Grover Artist's Choice Bamboo
Black Swamp Carbon Fiber
Innovative Percussion Concert Series
Pro Mark Bamboo

David Hollywood
12-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey guys, I thought I would try and get this place going a little so I figured I would ask about what everyone has in ther timpani mallet collections.

Mine
Payson: Soft. Vic Firth: T1, T2, T4, T5. Tim Genis: Gen 3, Gen 7. Cloyd Duff #1's. Black Swamp DG7's.

Nice! That's a pretty good mix.

David Hollywood
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Full sets of:
Black Swamp Bamboo
Tim Genis
Grover Artist's Choice Bamboo
Black Swamp Carbon Fiber
Innovative Percussion Concert Series
Pro Mark Bamboo

You're lucky to have a full set of the Black Swamp Bamboo mallets. Those won't be coming back any time soon if at all. What do you think of the new Carbon Fiber mallets?

Ehrin
12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I've got some T1, T2, T3, T4, and T6s in my bag as well as some bamboo handled mallets, I think from Cleaveland or maybe Grover. I don't play timp too often so I just have them in case something happens and I have to sit in.

Marimba6
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Ok, had a rehearsal with the CF mallets...Great feel! Needs a little more down stroke because of the lightness, but overall a nice focused tone.

David Hollywood
12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
^Yeah, when I played with them at PASIC they were REALLY light. Thanks for the review on these!

THSdrummer
12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Just the standard General from Vic Firth...

The school allows me to use them for Percussion Ensamble since we beat up our stuff in that, and I play Timpini there. So I have some soft, general and then wood mallets. Not sure on the models, all I know is that they are all Vic Firth.

Don't really need mallets since I'm in the higher of the 2 concert bands here we are allowed to use the school's mallets for that as well..so my need for mallets is low.

Marimba6
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Just FYI, the new IP Bamboo timpani mallets are now available. Check Steve Weiss.

Ehrin
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Never trust someone else's judgement when it comes to what you like to play with. Just because your school has a certain type of mallet doesn't mean they're good. Also, once you get on to college or higher, you shouldn't expect that your mallets will be provided nor should you expect for them to just tell you what you should use. (though some schools do, that's what happens when a percussion instructor gets some form of educator endorsement and becomes completely closed minded about what the player needs in order to try and sell them on the product they endorse. Sorry, didn't mean to rant...) If you have the option, try some different mallets. Some prefer bamboo handles, some hickory. Some people like light mallets some like heavy. Not every mallet will fit every player. I'm a very light player so I find it hard to get a good rich tone with bamboo at anything more than a MP. I've met other guys who hit so hard they can barely play MP with the lightest mallet they could find. I guess I'm just trying to say, you should decide what's best for you and not just assume because somebody else (your school, favorite drummer, best friend, etc...) is using it that it is good.

Just the standard General from Vic Firth...

The school allows me to use them for Percussion Ensamble since we beat up our stuff in that, and I play Timpini there. So I have some soft, general and then wood mallets. Not sure on the models, all I know is that they are all Vic Firth.

Don't really need mallets since I'm in the higher of the 2 concert bands here we are allowed to use the school's mallets for that as well..so my need for mallets is low.

PearlDrummer1993
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I generally use Black Swamp Carbon Fiber Mallets (Staccato, All-Purpose and Cartwheel) along with these cool cherry wood fluffy vic-firths and general vic-firth medium-hard mallets : D I love them all!!!

Prog Rocker
01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I only have T1's and some unnamed staccato mallets but i plan to buy a good collection of either IP or Mallettech Hinger Touch tone mallets.

LAsessionguy
01-21-2012, 09:16 AM
I have been using Vic Firth timp mallets for years. I also own a pair of the Black Swamp carbon fibre mallets. At PASIC, I picked up a complete set of the new John Tafoya bamboo series and I love them!