PDA

View Full Version : Timpani Sticks

mrbostock
11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Has anyone tried the Innovative Percussion range? I've played most brands/an assortment of home-made ones, but not these.

Any opinions?

Marimba6
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a set of the original Concert Series models...but I left them at the school for others to use as they are just not my thing. I currently am using the Tim Genis models, and also have a set of the now discontinued Black Swamp Bamboo series. My son uses Grover bamboo artist choice, but looks for individual pairs with narrow shafts and has a set of the Black Swamp Carbon fiber models on order from Steve Weiss. One of my previous students told me that the IP General Series were refined with input from Christopher Deane at North Texas...you might want to check them out.

David Hollywood
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
The Innovative timpani mallets are ok. Not the best out there but a pretty good value for the price. The General Series was designed with input from all sorts of educators and players. They are some of the better timpani mallets in the $20-30 range.

Cascade
01-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Personally, I used to use firth. However, I came across some custom Timpani Mallets(carlisle) and I fell in love with them. I highly recommend them, they're a bit pricey(average around $40), but worth it.

http://www.carlislepercussion.com/

nativeguy
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
The Black Swamp CF are the best timpani mallets I have ever played with. I'm going to order a set soon!

.:On The Rock:.
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I use Vic Firths. I play in an orchestra, but I'm fine with them enough that I don't need to go out and spend more on custom mallets

nativeguy
01-29-2009, 01:19 AM
What orchestra do you play in?

I hate the vic firths with a passion. In fact i'm slowly moving away from them.

.:On The Rock:.
01-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Newfoundland Symphony Youth Orchestra. I don't take timpani seriously enough to be particular over mallets.

David Hollywood
01-30-2009, 08:15 AM
I used to use Vic Firth timpani mallets when I first started but now I like the Chronos (they are identical to the Adams mallets made in Europe) mallets and the Duff mallets. The new Carbon Fiber mallets are sweet but I don't know if I play enough timpani these days to spend that much on more mallets.

nativeguy
01-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I recently saw an ad for Chronos mallets, was interested, but haven't met anyone who have tried them before. I'm most definitely going to buy the BS CF mallets. Unfortunately when I made an order last wee through SW, they were sold out of everything but the cartwheels, so i ordered those as a start.

OlivierGT
03-04-2009, 03:58 AM
I play percussion in Swiss Brass Band, my colleague timpanist play with "David Morbey timpani sticks"....very very very great feeling!
I love playing with this sticks!!!
http://www.timpanisticks.com/

Bye
:)
Olivier

David Hollywood
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I recently saw an ad for Chronos mallets, was interested, but haven't met anyone who have tried them before. I'm most definitely going to buy the BS CF mallets. Unfortunately when I made an order last wee through SW, they were sold out of everything but the cartwheels, so i ordered those as a start.

If you have any questions about Chronos mallets feel free to ask. I used a full set of the Cherry shaft in college and I own some of the Maple and Light Mahogany (Adams style) now. They are AWESOME mallets for the price.

nativeguy
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
If you have any questions about Chronos mallets feel free to ask. I used a full set of the Cherry shaft in college and I own some of the Maple and Light Mahogany (Adams style) now. They are AWESOME mallets for the price.
Will you send me your full line of mallets for me to try out? :p

David Hollywood
03-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Will you send me your full line of mallets for me to try out? :p

No, but I'll rent them out to you for a discount price!!! :D ;)

nativeguy
03-07-2009, 12:14 AM
$5?

thismercifulfate
06-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey thanks again for those Vic Firth T6's Nativeguy! I'm really digging the nice big sound they can produce.

nativeguy
06-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Sweet man! Glad you liked em! It was nice playing music with you. :)

nik12
01-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Throw it at the wall, if it doesn't slide down then the timpani sticks.

drummaman1
01-31-2015, 08:28 AM
I've not had any time with Innovative Percussion stuff, the stores in my area push VF and Mike Balter pretty hard. I have a couple pairs of David Gross timpani mallets before Black Swamp percussion (I think) bought his mallets business. It's not on the website anymore.

I've had the privilege getting to use a pair of carbon fiber mallets made by John Beck and those changed my mind about mallets and the material you can use that affects the feel and the sound you get from the drum. Thus I'm a big fan of carbon fiber, though I don't play enough timpani to warrant buying a pair or even a set.

I wouldn't count out VF mallets though. Many people use them for practicing and/or rehearsals as beater mallets which keeps the good mallets in top condition for dress rehearsals and performances. It's less expensive in the long run, I think, to do it this way.

MitchLyons
01-31-2015, 08:32 AM
I've not had any time with Innovative Percussion stuff, the stores in my area push VF and Mike Balter pretty hard. I have a couple pairs of David Gross timpani mallets before Black Swamp percussion (I think) bought his mallets business. It's not on the website anymore. I've had the privilege getting to use a pair of carbon fiber mallets made by John Beck and those changed my mind about mallets and the material you can use that affects the feel and the sound you get from the drum. Thus I'm a big fan of carbon fiber, though I don't play enough timpani to warrant buying a pair or even a set. I wouldn't count out VF mallets though. Many people use them for practicing and/or rehearsals as beater mallets which keeps the good mallets in top condition for dress rehearsals and performances. It's less expensive in the long run, I think, to do it this way.

Really? That's interesting. I've had the same set of T2 Cartwheels since my sophomore year of high school. I'm a freshman in college now, and they're still going strong.