PDA

View Full Version : ZXT's vs ZBT's

PearlMan302
09-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Hi, all.

I purchased a Pearl Forum kit a few months ago which I am currently enjoying. It's my first kit, and my first real experience with drums in general.

I've already been sucked into an actively touring band, so it's time to toss the Pearl cymbals that came with the kit in favor of something a bit better.

I'm searching for something budget oriented for now, and was looking at Zildjian ZBT's. However, the general consensus seems to be, "Stay away!"

Zildjian recently came out with the ZXT series, which I'm guessing is the replacement for the ZBT line.

My question is, to those who have heard/used both, how do the ZXT's compare? The ZXT Pro's are towards the upper range of my budget, but I could manage them if they'd suit my situation.

Thanks!

Jamie
09-07-2002, 02:31 PM
I know this isnt a real answer to your question but it may help. ive never used th zildjians before, but you could always try some from sabians range; the b8s or b8 pros being the budget orientated ones. if you could stretch to it the sabian pro or pro sonix series are pretty nice, nicer than the b8 pros, but if this isnt gonna be your last cymbal set you buy then they may not be worth the money if you plan to change em again. if they ARE gonna be the last set of cymbals you buy and then expand on or whatever, it may be worth looking at som cast instead of pressed cymbals from sabian or zildjians range-sabian do some 3 and 2 cymbal starter sets to my knowledge, im not sure bout zildjian. i was faced with choice of cast vs. pressed/more $vs. less$ but decided to go with cast because they have a nicer sound, and last longer, and in the long run they are less money, i hope!
hope this helps
jamie

Jake
09-07-2002, 06:47 PM
They're not replacing the zbt's, I think.

The ZXT hasn't reached sweden yet, but i used ZBT Plus for some years, and they're great, especially for that price. Personally I think they sound better than Sabian B8, which I also used for a while.

maxots
09-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Im pretty sure, as zildjian no longer seems to make zbt plus. In comparison to sabian, the ZXT seems more of an equal to the pro / sonix than the B8 pro

Im guessing they are trying to fill in the intermidiate cymbal market. I personally would go for cheap if your ever going to upgrade, or real top o the range if your not. soon enough youll wish you saved for longer and go that K custom (or HHX)

enjoy your cymbals whatever you get
max

PearlMan302
09-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Well I went ahead and picked up the ZXT Pro 3 piece kit. It includs a 20" ride, 16" inch crash, and 14" hi hats.

Overall I'm pleased with them. They certainly blow the heck out of the Pearl cymbals that came with the set.

The hi hats have a great "chick" sound to them, but I'm having difficulty getting a real clean sound of them when playing. They're a good bit heavier than my old hats, so perhaps it's just a matter of my getting used to them. Any suggestions here?

Ride is very nice. Much better than the ZBT I tried in the store. It has a very long decay, though I guess that could be good or bad depending on your preference.

I'm 100% happy with the crash; at least considering the price. I just need an 18" to compliment it and I'll be set for a bit. I'll take suggestions here, also. :)

I do plan on upgrading all of my cymbals, and hopefully the entire set, at some point in the future. I just need something gig worthy for now. Once I make my fortune, Masterworks Custom all the way!!!

Thanks for the replies! :)

maxots
09-08-2002, 06:35 AM
if your hats are too loud or uncontrolled or have too much ring or wash when open.....put a sock in them ..... literally.

Any small item of clothing from your top drawer... socks, underwear, an old rag. it really drys them out and cuts down on the ring, when open only the top cymbal vibrates, which i like.

I dont use this on gigs, where i need all the sound of my a custom 13" mastersounds. but in my practice room, its a great little trick

I hope this helps
max

blade123
12-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Whats with all the guests here?

DredgRules
12-11-2004, 09:42 AM
My first cymbals were ZXT's, matter a' fact im still using my ZXT Hats which sound suprisingly good. I was also pretty suprised how well the 20" ride sounded. The 18" crash was pretty dissapointing though, but exactly what youd expect for $250.

PanamaDrummer911
12-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Yeah I was wondering the same lol

The Hermit
12-11-2004, 09:55 AM

This thread is TWO years old!

SteelProphet
12-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Get meinl mcs cymbals, especially the ride sounds very good

dantheweeman
12-11-2004, 11:12 AM
iv got zxt pros there really good make a great sound and well worth the 200 i paid for it the pack i got included a free chin if u wanna see pics go to show us ur kits and mine what u think of my mapex the cymbals are in the pics the 14" hi hat shonds good and so does the 20" ride and 16" crash and the 14" china is also good scene it was free!! my friend has zbts and he says the hi hats crap and he bought zxt ride and said it was much better so go for zxt pro or rock.hope it helps

Harris
12-31-2004, 04:59 PM
B8 pros

migz_07
12-31-2004, 07:23 PM
zxt's are more expensive than zbt's,, i would prefer personally for zxt's,, they are a bit more than cheap and beginner cymbals,, or in the sabian line,, the b8,,

tuned 4 trash man
12-31-2004, 07:26 PM
ya i i am usin zxt's which were my first symbols, for what I paid they were great. I got zxt pros btw so I'd go for it especially if u a beginer and i am also wanting to upgrade

crazydrum
12-31-2004, 09:51 PM
deffinatly the zbts to me because they have more of that high end crash sound the zxts sounds like you are hitting a tin can

crazydrum
12-31-2004, 09:53 PM
sorry i didnt mention that i was talking about the crashes because that is the only thing i tried from zbt and the zxt line

samflame222
01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
OMG, it is too 2 years old

Crazy_Drummer
01-01-2005, 05:09 AM
We had some zbt's in my school(13" hat's and a 20" ride) and God they were AWASOME for their price,espacially the hi-hiat....So I'd recommend you to gey ZBT's,but if you have a little more budget,go for the ZXT's

ChinaShyshe
01-01-2005, 05:11 AM
well if you'll all look at the date on the posts,you will find that guest 1 bought his zxt's 2 years back.By this time,he might even be thinking of upgrading to k customs

Patrick_
01-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Your a little late on that advice there...

Kadnar24
01-01-2005, 11:19 AM
z b paisTe's !!

go for 502's or even 802's :D.

DaveMurray44
01-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Why is this thread way up here its like 2 years old.

ZildjianTOOL
01-01-2005, 01:35 PM
because somebody feels like reviving it ;)

I dunno for some reason ZBT sounds better to me...ZXT's are supposed to be the better one but I like ZBT's high pitched crash sound and I like banging on it its so thin

Zildjian dude
01-01-2005, 02:53 PM
first post 9-7-2002, i dont think he needs more advice guys;)