PDA

View Full Version : Supplied Heads

Vinny Ozborne,
09-05-2002, 08:02 AM
I for one was not happy with the Ambassador heads that came with my Masters Kit. I am currently using Power Stroke 4, which may be to dead for some, but I like that warm Weckl sound that they give me. I have also seen allot of threads saying the same.

So I ask you, what heads do you think Pearl should be putting on their kits? I am going to keep this to MW & Masters series & all Remo seeing that is the way it is at the moment. I do understand that people use Evans & Aquarian also, but Pearl do not.

To keep things simple, I am going to leave it as Remo Ambassadors on the Bottom.

elmo
09-05-2002, 09:21 AM
i havent been satisfied with any supplied head, from any company before, except dw. i've always had to change the head almost immediately, even on my masterworks. i think this is due to the way the dealers stack up the drums ontop of each other. it does something weird to the heads. i dunno, i persnally like evans heads anyways.

take care n God bless.
elmo:cool:

Phi
09-05-2002, 09:53 AM
I chose coated emperors because that is what I'm using with my MMX. I would say pinstripes because they are a nice blend of sustain and muting but I don't think pearl would want people to think that there masterworks drums do not sustain for long when it would in fact be just the head. What do you think of pinstripes?

Phi :)

Phi
09-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Hey vinny! You're at 420 posts!!! :D :p :D Stupid american joke.

prankmonkey
09-05-2002, 11:22 AM
Clear Powerstroke 3's sound awesome, but I guess I'll have to check out the Powerstroke 4's now!! I hope Pearl and other drum companies will take this advice to heart, as that's the first thing you have to do with a new drum kit, replace the heads. I brought my EQ3's and Powerstrokes home with my new kit because I knew I would need them. Cheers, Prank BTW, I know Pearl and other companies are at least trying to address this issue, so I want to say thanks for that. But the heads just don't quite fit the overall quality you've come to expect with Pearl. Pearl could do what the Memphis Drum Shop does, use a branded head with the Pearl logo on it. That's what the MDS does, with their name and phone number right on the head. Just a thought. :cool:

Lost At... SRX
09-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Snare - Coated Powerstroke3/Hazy Ambassador
Bass - Clear Powerstroke3/Ebony Powerstroke3
Toms - Coated Ambassador/Clear Ambassador

Tabla_Man
09-05-2002, 02:27 PM
I'll have to check out the PS4's as well. The PS3's sound great especially on the bass drum.

I personally recommend trying the Renaissance series they sound great. They give you the brush surface but also give you the resonance of a clear head. These are excellent if you want a real open snare sound.

I prefer the Emporer weights to the Ambassadors, clear or coated.

Pinstripes are OK, but IMHO they choke the drum a little too much. I'd use them on an Export kit, but never on a Masters or MW.

DrumYoda
09-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Ideally, one could choose the heads one wanted. That being wholly impractical for a variety of reasons, some form of accomodation would be nice. This would place more work on the seller as the responsibility would fall to them to mount the heads.

In the case of MasterWorks one should be able to specify the heads as it is all custom.

There's my 2˘.

MikeB
09-05-2002, 07:31 PM
My Ayotte kit came equipped as follows:

Toms
Coated Ambassador batter side
Clear Ambassador resonant side

Snare
PowerStroke 3 Coated batter side
Ambassador Snare Side

Bass
Clear PowerStroke 3 batter side
Black Ebony PowerStroke 3 resonant side

All top notch.

Pyrotechnic
09-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Batter/Reso

Toms:
Clear Emporer / Clear Ambassador

Snare:
Coated Ambassador / Ambassador snare side

Bass:
Clear PS3 / Ebony PS3

Zedd
09-05-2002, 08:24 PM
Hi All!
Fine day too! :D
I use Clear Emperors on the toms,... coated power stroke on the snare.
Ambassador resonants.

Hey Pyro,..... Lovely gif man,,... I was PMSL!!!! :D
Z.

Zedd
09-05-2002, 08:27 PM
BTW.....

Anyone who saw the pic of my kit in one of the other posts, and thinks I dont even know my own kit cos they saw an Evans coated 'powercentre' on my snare,;)...... It was not actually my choice of head, but an emergency purchase and the best I could get at the time. It is quite a nice head for the snare tho, and I had no complaints about using it. I think i jsut slightly preferred the Remo Powerstroke.
Thanks
Z.

Brk
09-06-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Vinny Ozborne,
...currently using Power Stroke 4...

CLEAR OR COATED ?

Brk
09-06-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Vinny Ozborne,
...I am currently using Power Stroke 4, which may be to dead for some, but I like that warm Weckl sound that they give me...

I'll try ps4 anyhow, but did you try with pieces of RemO-rings
on toms.
With Ambassador coated & clear, middle tunning, for 10,12 and 14" toms: 8.5 cm, 11 cm and 15 cm long and not more than max. 2 cm width /breit/.
For SDrum is variable /music style/ from none til 25 cm, only 1.8 mm breit.
Your Sound-Ing. are very, very happy with...

You will be surprised how easy is to get "Mahogany-mix Sound" with natural sustain on any /birch or maple/ Shells.
You wanna only "imitate", or Weckl realy play now on PS4 ?
THX

Vinny Ozborne,
09-06-2002, 08:23 AM
I use COATED PS4 on tom tops, Ambassador Clear on Bottom. PS3 Clear on Kick & Ambassador Coated on Snare. Weckl uses coated Ambassadors but I could never get the sound he gets using them.

PS4 are double ply heads with a dampening ring underneath. Be warned the are QUIET sounding will very little overtones.

POWERSTROKE™ 4 takes the improved sound and performance of the new EMPEROR™ to an even deeper, darker level. These heads combine the depth and fullness of double-ply EMPERORS™ with a special underlay at the head’s outer edge to help focus the drum’s sound by slightly dampening its high-end frequencies, similar to the popular single-ply POWERSTROKE™ 3.

Lost At... SRX
09-06-2002, 08:52 AM
So what's the difference between a Pinstripe and a Powerstroke4?

Tabla_Man
09-06-2002, 09:31 AM
One is a little thicker, can't remember which, but I think the PS4 is slightly thicker. They are both 2 ply heads with built in resonant rings, but one is two diplomat weight plies and the other is one ambassador ply with a diplomat ply underneath.

Lost At... SRX
09-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Cheers

MikeB
09-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Weckl does not use PowerStroke 4s. For him toms, he uses Coated Ambassadors as the batter, and Clear Ambassadors as the resonant. Snares have Coated Ambassador Batters and Ambassador Snare Side heads for the resonant. For his 22x16 bass drum, he has both heads muffled each with the Remo Dave Weckl bass drum muffler, to give it a deader sound. The resonat heads is an Ebony Resonant w/ no muffling, with a mic hole. The batter head is a Coated Ambassador. For his 18x16, his resonant is an Ebony Resonant w/ no hole, light to no muffling, with a Coated Ambassador batter.

Vinny Ozborne,
09-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by MikeB
Weckl does not use PowerStroke 4s. For him toms, he uses Coated Ambassadors as the batter, and Clear Ambassadors as the resonant. Snares have Coated Ambassador Batters and Ambassador Snare Side heads for the resonant. For his 22x16 bass drum, he has both heads muffled each with the Remo Dave Weckl bass drum muffler, to give it a deader sound. The resonat heads is an Ebony Resonant w/ no muffling, with a mic hole. The batter head is a Coated Ambassador. For his 18x16, his resonant is an Ebony Resonant w/ no hole, light to no muffling, with a Coated Ambassador batter.

Originally posted by VINNY
Weckl uses coated Ambassadors but I could never get the sound he gets using them.

maxots
09-07-2002, 06:37 AM
my kit (pearl masters) came with the regular head
i love em

unless im wrong, the bass has > pws3 clear/pws3ebony

SO isnt the power stroke (3 or 4) a head with a built in studio ring under the head > no matter whether it is a 1 or 2 ply

Whereas a pinstripe is a double ply head with a glue ring. 2 ply i think

i agree with custom head choice, i wanted coated ambasodors on toms

any pearl people want to comment
thanks
max

Vinny Ozborne,
09-07-2002, 09:59 AM
It seems that this is a poll that Pearl should be taking notice of. Not one person has voted for their choice of tom heads - Ambassador Clear. The majority of people have voted for Clear Emperors to be supplied instead. People do seem to be happy with PS3 on Kicks & Ambassador coated on Snares.

I don't think it would be practical for Pearl to offer head choice per kit, except in MW. But I do think they should re-evaluate their decision to supply Masters kits with Clear Ambassadors & change them to Emperors instead.

Me personally would like to see them supplied with Coated Emperors or at least coated Ambassadors, but I would go with the masses & go for the Clear Emperors.

Any comments Moderators?

Flyin6
09-07-2002, 10:25 AM
I received my Masters Studio kit in full this past week. I am staggered by how beautiful the Plat. Mist is in person. In addition the clear Ambassadors STINK! I have never been able to get any of my kits to sound good with an Ambassador.... no matter what the pro's use. My tech (me) has slaved over the past efforts to get them to work, but this time they are trash can bound. In the past I have used Pinstripes, on toms, but I think I will give Emperors a try. To my ears the Ambassadors have too much of a "tin-ny" fundamental tone for toms.

I have used coated Ambassadors for almost 20 years on my snare and see no reason to change there.

As for the Powerstrokes, I must be out-of-touch ..... way too much BOIIINNNNG! They need some muffling to get a good thud, you know to get the lower frequencies, and let the ring carry the upper frequencies.

Enough of me.... will send pics soon. Flyin6

eorrjr
09-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Batter/Res

Coated Ambass/clear ambass - toms
" " Snare
Clear PS3 package Bass

pearldrummer8
09-07-2002, 10:37 PM
it's not letting me vote i don't know why, but i vote for clear pinstripe.

Jake
09-08-2002, 12:21 PM
Just got back from work (where I keep my MRX kit). I changed from clear ambassadors to coated ones, and it's Amazing how the sound improves. I don't get it, it sounds SO much better now. Suddenly the drums come alive. Very nice!

luvmydrumz
02-12-2003, 03:34 PM
I too have been using the Powerstroke 4's and love the sound I'm getting.
I'm finding them very easy to tune.

doc_on_drums
03-08-2003, 07:29 AM
I like the Ambassador clear for the tom's but I like the ambassador coated for the bass.

ViperX
03-08-2003, 11:16 AM
I think that Clear Emporers for tom batter, Clear Ambassadors for tom reso, Ebony Ambassador for bass reso, Clear PS3 for bass batter, Coated Ambassador for snare batter, Snare Side Ambasador for snare reso would work great

pearldrummerkid
04-12-2003, 06:37 PM
i think u should just go for a nice medium with everything on the kit. Give everyone a bit of what they want no matter what they are going to use the kit for.

Tom Batter:Clear Emporers
Tom Reso:Clear Ambasssadors
Bass Batter:Clear Powerstroke 3
Bass Reso:Ebony Ambassador or Ebony Powerstroke 3
Snare Batter:Coated Ambassador
Snare Reso:Hazy Ambassador Snare Side

Duck
04-12-2003, 08:13 PM
what i am currently using:
toms- pinstipe clear
snare- evans 2 ply power center
bass- aqua super kick II

what i like
toms- pinstipe clear or evans hydrolic
snare- evans g2 2 ply whatever
bass- aqua super kick II or PS3

Exporter893
04-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Remo Ambassordors coated if I had to have only one choice for everything, but also I like the Emperors on the toms, and powerstroke 3 on BD. I perfer Remo over Evans but would use Aquarian if could not get Remo but not Evans. They break too easy!

demononcable
04-12-2003, 10:40 PM
I have clear emperor on top of tom

DaveDrummer
04-12-2003, 10:55 PM
G2 on toms, coated emperor on snare, and ambassadors on all the resos. PS3 on bass drum.

I can't tell you how many sets ive seen with these, and how sweet they sound togther.

Dave