PDA

View Full Version : Short Hat Stand

ebuzzcut
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Right now, I have a Gibraltar Intruder Direct Pull hat stand, I really like the feel, but even on its lowest height, it is still way too high. Anyone know of any good quality hat stands that are really low? I would also like a sthorter snare stand if anyone knows of one.
Thanks.

drumonthebrain
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
There is always the option of cutting the tube down

ebuzzcut
05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I might try that on my old Pearl, and if it works, do it to my Gibraltar.

thismercifulfate
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
A good ol' snowshoe should do the trick ;)

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum42/knapp5.jpg

Rush equals love
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
depends how low you want... at one point i wanted it LOW (like a few inches above my snare) and i couldnt find a stand to go that low so I used a remote hat set up to get it as low as I needed.

ebuzzcut
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
A good ol' snowshoe should do the trick ;)

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum42/knapp5.jpg
I knew someone was going to post a pic of one of those.

ebuzzcut
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
depends how low you want... at one point i wanted it LOW (like a few inches above my snare) and i couldnt find a stand to go that low so I used a remote hat set up to get it as low as I needed.
Good idea, but expensive.
Nice setup though!

ZenErik
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
The lower end Gibraltar stands feel GREAT, and they should go lower. Mine goes far far lower than my Elim hi hat stand and feels BETTER.

JJ kay slay
05-12-2008, 07:53 PM
The dw 5000 goes pretty low.

Gherkin
05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I cut down a low-end Tama hihat stand to use on the right. It was an easy, painless modification.

- Whack the bottom clamp off with a rubber mallet. This takes a while. When I did it, it only moved a TINY bit with each hit. I marked the start point with a Sharpie to see how far it was moving.
(The Tama ones don't have rivets. Neither do the Pearl as far as I know... It'd be worth checking before you go beating it up.)

- Cut the exposed tube as much as you need to

- Whack the clamp back on with a rubber mallet

And that's all. You do end up with a hi-hat rod that's too long though. You can always cut that though...

Baddox
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I love this. A while back I posted on here asking about a stand with a HIGHER maximum height because my iron cobra was maxed out and was still too low. I ended up splurging on an Elim remote stand, but that's certainly far from a cheap solution.