PDA

View Full Version : Pros and sessions

Autumn Decay
07-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Why dont any pro drummers play sessions.. since they are pretty much a pro kit.

Les Hammond
07-03-2003, 11:00 AM
I cant name any particular guys, but pro's do use em (including me!) I play with two bands on a permanent basis and also do almost any freelance work I can lay my hands on. They can be set up to cover almost any kind of music. I know of one pro who uses an Export ELX, sounds fantastic ! Dont forget......It aint what you got...its how you use it ! If you look around you will see pro's using all sorts of kits and they are NOT always top end kits either. I may not be considered by some to be a Pro because I also have other business interests, but hey....my business partner is an actor, very often seen on tv, he is regarded as a pro because he earns money from it. As far as the TAX man is concerned , you are a pro if you get paid ! ! It does not matter to him if you do 10 gigs a year or 1000, or if you can earn a decent wage from it or not ! Dont be fooled by the marketing people as to who uses what, there are thousands of working drummers out there who use VERY ordinary gear !:D

echoofformless
07-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Well keep in mind that most pros whom you hear about are famous guys in nationally known bands....and that most guys who reach that level of success will get endorsed.

Now if you were a drum company and you endorsed someone, you would want to make sure that the person is using the top end equipment, because after all, an endorsement is really just a marketing scheme for the company. They figure that people see their favorite drummers using certain equipment, that the equipment will sell.

That is why you see so many ads in Modern Drummer with familiar faces. No one cares if Joe Blow plays SRX, they care if Famous Guy plays Masters.

Pearl would rather sell you Masters than Sessions....so there you go.

cornflake489
07-03-2003, 04:38 PM
The guy from goldfinger does.

drummer4JC
07-03-2003, 10:58 PM
A lot of people might record with a highend kit but gig with maybe an Export becuz the covered finish would be more durable, and if anythign did happen, it would be cheaper to replace. Now this probably isnt anybody really famous, or theyd get there junk free or dirt cheap.