PDA

View Full Version : please help

xenophontis
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
hey guys im having tuning problems with my 12" vision series tom,. i know 12 inch toms are usually harder to tune,. but it seems like i get it sounding pretty good then i put it back on its tom holder and all of the sudden it sounds dead,.. does anybody have a reason for this, how to stop it, or let me know how they tune there 12 inch vision or just birch toms

Akahito
10-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Why should it be that 12" toms are harder to tune than any other drum? The 12" tom doesn't know it's a 12", so it's not like it decides it wants to be difficult. I've never had problems with mine, so far I've had four 12" toms from three different brands of drums.

Your problem has to do with the mounting system and drum hoop. ISS is a good floating method, but the hoop on the vision series is thin, and bends from the weight of the drum when it's mounted from the ISS on the tom holder. The reason why one won't likely notice it in a 10" tom is because it's lighter in weight, and thus doesn't bend the hoop as much.

You need to tune the tom while it's on the holder, just muffle the reso head with your other hand, tap and compare the head area close to the tuning screws (you know the drill) so you'll hear whether you have to tighten or loosen the two tuning screws on either side of the ISS.

Which heads do you use btw?

xenophontis
10-19-2007, 05:21 AM
i have the remo encore ps heads on and stock pearl reso's,.. **** i know but i dont have the money to replace them and they are quality drums i can still get a very good sound from them,.. see thats what i thort about the i.s.s and since i posted this i did think of that and tune it on the mount and it is alot better now,.. but still i find 12 inch toms harder and i have heard of lots of people saying 12 inch drums, maybe because they arent high toms and not low toms they are kinda in between but anyway,.. i havent had as much of an issue with the 14" and that is even more weight on the i.s.s but then again it does have 2 extra lugs,.. i am getting optimounts anyway,..

xenophontis
10-19-2007, 05:22 AM
but yeah when i got it sounding good,. and the others i got easily,.. but yeah the kit is amazing, i couldnt beleive i paid as little as i did for this quality drum

Akahito
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Hm, funny. Some people say 13" toms are hard to tune, and I'd go for that more myself, as I've had more trouble tuning a 13" than I've ever had a 12"... Might just be since I've had more experience with tuning a 12", and nearly no experience with 13", so it might feel that way. The ISS is a bad combination with the 1,6mm hoops, with 2,3mm (and accordingly fitting hooks) or cast hoops they're fine. But Optimounts are indeed a better solution, so much more solid, and no hoop problems.

I was astounded by the Vision drums as well when I tried them, I tried the 10-12-16-22 set up and was thinking "Man, if the ELX Amber Mist wasn't such a badass finish, I'd get these in a heartbeat". :D We'll see what finishes they come up with next year, and if something tops the Amber Mist, I'm swapping them. It's my secondary kit, I have a Premier Artist birch kit I use for high-profile gigs and recording, but the Vision rivals them in sound.

drumtechdad
10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
The 12 is my easiest drum to tune. Go figure!

I suspect the ISS also. My rack toms (10, 12) originally had ISS mounts + the thin hoops; I too had a pretty big change from unmounted to mounted and dead spots, too.

I've since replaced the ISS with optimounts and that cured everything.

An alternative to tuning it on the set itself is to hold it by the mount (rather than the rim) while tuning.

NYR Fan
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Guys, I understand the $ thing is the most relevant issue;but, Opti's and SupeHoops fix everything. Your Visions will explode! The investment is worth it, I understand it's easier said than done though.

TWH
10-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Guys, I understand the $ thing is the most relevant issue;but, Opti's and SupeHoops fix everything. Your Visions will explode! The investment is worth it, I understand it's easier said than done though.

Listen to this guy....he knows first hand.

Opti's and Superhoops.

big daddy cool
10-19-2007, 11:21 PM
hey guys at PMI we have viable issues here, please send this to R and D ,visions are so close to being one the top sellers in the mid range kit market , just a nudge here and there, next thing you know .....a more than cozy niche in an all to over crowded market ... with thousands of satisfied consumers dare i say millions..... anyways CANT wait to see the new goodies at namm ..

xenophontis
10-21-2007, 06:14 AM
definatly getting optimounts and superhoops,.. for my bands recording ill see if i can borrow my brothers drummers optimounts from his session