PDA

View Full Version : SRX vs. Premier Artist Maple

echoofformless
06-23-2003, 05:05 AM
I currently own a Premier XPK kit which I have a love hate relationship with. Shells/sound - love. Hardware - hate.

I read some positive reviews about the Premier Artist Maple kits, and I was wondering if anyone has been able to compare them head to head against the SRX.

Naturally I'm leaning to the SRX because I am not thrilled with Premier's craftsmanship, but I'm still curious.

PearlMastersPunk
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
SRX is the way 2 go,..WAY BETTER hardware then what Premeir offers,.IMO youd be happier with a SRX in the long run:cool:

kimboy
06-24-2003, 12:31 PM
im a pearl fan.

i go for the srx..

i hate premier lugs (bridge)

nass_88
06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
im guessing many people are gonna say pearl, since theres all of 2 people who like premier here..

Nev
06-25-2003, 03:08 PM
PREMIER, ive had two premier kits and have no problems at all. They sound great too. I had an APK kit and now have an Artist maple kit.

ROBB283DT
06-25-2003, 04:15 PM
I have no real bad feelings against premier. Really try to play both kits. If hardware ius the real issue then just get Pearl harware with the kit you choose.

aunomonopia
06-26-2003, 08:30 PM
One thing to consider. The Artist Maple has a ten lug bass and the session cutom has a eight lug bass. I have a session custom and it sounds great. I also just recently sold my Artist Maple kit. The Premier Maple kit sounded great. I just like pearl's mounting system for the toms better and I like marine blue fade. My Premier kit was Rosewood. Anyway having owned both it is hard to say wich way to go.....

AMonline
06-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Who's Premiere?

hee hee :D

aunomonopia
06-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Here is a pic of my Premier Kit(now gone to a new home)

aunomonopia
06-26-2003, 08:38 PM
And here is my Session Custom. Again both sound great but pearl hardware is better, in my opinion:)

crazydrummerdude
06-27-2003, 07:08 AM
i heard someone say that marine blue fade is just all dark blue but appears to fade to black from far away. is that true?? if it DOES fade to black i wished the blue on the top was a bit darker :(

Joey
06-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Something has always bugged me about that Marine Blue Fade, but I haven't been able to put my finger on it until now. It's fading the wrong way. IMO it should fade from dark to light like the bass drum, but it doesn't...I dunno, maybe its just way to early for me to be thinking.

aunomonopia
06-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Yes the Marine blue fade goes from blue to black. The way the fade goes from blue to black on the toms does not bug me. If you could see them in person, I think you would like them more. The picture does not do them justice. Also in person you could hear how great they sound:)

drumquig38
06-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Hey,

I am writing this as a current Premier user who is about to switch as well. I have owned an XPK kit as well as a current Artist Birch
kit. The kit is ok, sound really well, but there have always been some nagging quality issues with Premier. I thought the Artist line was made in England, but I recently found out that it is farmed to China for production. This probably explains the little inconsistencies. Anyway, I think the Artist Maple is a good set, but I think the Session is a better choice, just for the fact their are alot more Pearl Dealers than Premier. It is really hard to get extra parts which always seem to break. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Kay
06-29-2003, 11:56 AM
I have an artist maple, I love the sound. The only thing is all tghe premier parts take forever for instance i broke a lug on my snare and it took 9 weeks for them to replace it. I bought another snare for the wait. Pearl is an awsome company their customer service is good. Premier isn't the greatest.

Some comparibles are
Premier artist maple has diecast hoops on the snare(only artist maple)
Bass drum has the 10 lug configuration.

I dont now the srx that good but they are both companys. I did a few gigs and the drummers had srx and i checked them out!!

Premier doesn't make the best hardware. But the chrome is awsome. It is so shiny! I love the sound of the drums. They both sound good.

Tabla_Man
06-29-2003, 07:16 PM
The Premier Artist Maple drums are gread drums for the money, but I think you get a wider variety of sizes with the SRX.

flam5adiddle
06-30-2003, 06:14 PM
I've used a set of Artist Maples for the last 2 years with my school jazz band, and I've gotta say that while the drums sound and look damn fine, the hardware is absolutely TERRIBLE. CONSISTENTLY.

Joints stripping, stands falling apart, pedals and their springs just plain failing (weak, easily stripped screws and bolts).

Booooo Premier, work on your hardware and I'll think about checking out your products again. Until then, I'm very happy with my SRXs. <3

echoofformless
07-01-2003, 04:23 AM
Yeah seems my fears are confirmed. Heh....stupid Premier, how hard could it be to produce better quality hardware? They're looking to go out of business if they keep sucking this much.