PDA

View Full Version : SRX snare drum

INDUSTRIAL PULSE
06-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Alright,
I've been playing drums over 5 years now, and I obviously haven't perfected the art of tuning. Now, I got an SRX about a year and a half ago and I STILL can't get my snare to sound good! I use Moongel, I've gone threw Pearl, Attack, Aquarian and now Remo Ambassador heads, but it still sounds like crap! Does anyone have any tuning tips for this particular drum? Does anyone have the same problem?

newbeat
06-07-2003, 09:24 PM
How does it sound now and what kind of sound are you looking for?

INDUSTRIAL PULSE
06-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Well for one, I can't even play a drum role on it! I can on any other good snare, but not this one! I'm looking for a ROCK sound.

JSXtremist
06-07-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by INDUSTRIAL PULSE
Well for one, I can't even play a drum role on it! I can on any other good snare, but not this one! I'm looking for a ROCK sound.

If your looking for a Rock sound, get a Remo Emperor or Emperor X drum head, and Crank the Top head up really tight, and tune the bottom head 1 or 2 turns after finger tight. That should give you the sound you're looking for. What Reso head do you have on your snare right now?

INDUSTRIAL PULSE
06-08-2003, 12:56 AM
It's the Pearl drum head that came with it.

JSXtremist
06-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by INDUSTRIAL PULSE
It's the Pearl drum head that came with it.

Change that as well, to a Remo Ambassador Snare Side.

zorno
06-08-2003, 02:38 AM
I'll throw my 2 cents in. Get an aquarian hi-energy batter with a classic clear reso. Crank the bottom really tight. Torque her down. On top, seat the head evenly with your hand and then start off with a criss cross pattern with 1/4 inch turns until its fairly tight. I let the snare loose enough so that when you engage the throw off, its not so tight that its digging into the head. You can adjust this to your liking. If you want more crack, tighten down the batter a little more and vice versa. Thats my take and it works well for me.

** If you want a rock sounding snare, I truly believe the hi-energy is the way to go. It has two dots. A large one and the smaller one in the middle. The smaller one is made out of some strong crap. In another words,,,,you cant hurt this head. Very durable. ***

Another thing I do is when I put the batter head on, try to put the label of the head pointing towards the thrown off so that if you have to take it back off it will be seated to the original spot when putting it back on. Straight rims help too. YMMV.

INDUSTRIAL PULSE
06-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks a lot guys!
In order to crank my top head up, how many turns are we talking here?

newbeat
06-08-2003, 11:18 AM
I think your head might be too loose, you don't necessarily need a new one. By your description of not being able to do a drum roll it seems like it's really loose and flabby, am I correct? Just tighten each lug a half turn each at a time and keep doing that until the head is tight and firm. If it starts getting hard to turn the drum key, stop, but keep going until the head gets firm. We're not talking like table top hard firm, just so that it when you push it down with your finger it doesn't depress more than a few millimeters.

AussieDrums
06-09-2003, 05:37 PM
the SRX snare is a beaut drum but does take a little work to get used to tuning it. replacing the stock pearl reso is the first step, ambassador snare side is a good move. i can't remember how many turns I use when I crank it, when I had a Coated CS on there I pretty much took it as high as it would go without completely choking the sound. That drum cut through like ******y. Might have been 6 full turns, really not sure. With a Coated ambassador on top I have the two heads at the same pitch, when I had the CS on the reso was either a 4th or 5th below from memory.

DrumSRX
06-09-2003, 09:58 PM
I use an Ambassador, G1 tomorrow, and I just crank the *****. It sounds great. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Kay
06-10-2003, 06:46 AM
Heres a website that will hep you www.drumweb.com/profsound.shtml
I would use a ambassador/ emperor coated on your snare. Dont use the emperor X head unless yur a heavy hitter. Well i heard that muffles as well. As some of the guys said just tune your snare up! Good luck hope you get a good sound

Baunche
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
MAn, I had the same problem with my SRX snare for a long time. Eventually I bought a Coated Ambassador and A clear ambassador snare side head combo and replaced the ****** pearl heads. What a difference!!!!!!!!! I think my SRX snare sounds amazing now!! So my advice is to try that head combo and see what happens.

LAter.....