PDA

View Full Version : Soooo many choices.......!!!

sedulus
05-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok, this is still a long way off, but i'm planning early! I want a Masterworks (who doesn't?!) and was thinking 2 inner plys of Mahogany and 4 plys of maple. What do you think?
I'm looking for a deep, full, warm sound. But i think all mahogany would be too much. There wouldn't be enough clarity in them.

The sizes i'm looking at getting are as follows:-

8x7
10x8
12x10
14x12

16x16
18x18

2 24x18

I play mainly metal and rock. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JSXtremist
05-27-2003, 12:46 PM
I say forget about the mahogany. Just get Maple. Maple will give you the Full, Warm sound your looking for. No need to mix woods. You tom size choices look Great, and the kicks are good. I would go with 22X18, but that's just me. I also play Rock/Metal, I would go all maple ;)

sedulus
05-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Ok, so go with a masters then? MMX of MRX? what would you suggest?

PearlMan
05-27-2003, 03:51 PM
MRX will do just fine ( if you're going with Masters ), that's what Vinnie Paul plays. I don't know if you like his sound or not, but if you do then you'll love MRX :cool:

JSXtremist
05-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by sedulus
Ok, so go with a masters then? MMX of MRX? what would you suggest?

Yes, go with Masters. MRX. Get the same tom sizes, and bass sixes. But get them in MRX, 6 Ply maple.

Here is a Qoute from the Pearl MRX Page: "Their warm full bodied tone offers great sensitivity and sustain for a very "live" sound."

MRX is definitly the kit for you.

sedulus
05-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks! MRX, black mist, black hardware, can't wait!!! anyone wanna lend me the 3500 i need to buy it?!

Yeah, pearlman, Vinnies kit sounds amazing. It is all triggered though, but i think that he triggers his accoustic sound, if that makes sense!

PearlMan
05-27-2003, 04:15 PM
So he does trigger it?...allright now I know for sure.

P.S. lol, but I think it sounds good either way :D

sedulus
05-27-2003, 04:43 PM
He's a monster, isn't he?!!

Just to clear something up, would, everything being equal, an MRX be louder than an MMX? Overall, what would be the loudest Masters kit?

JSXtremist
05-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by sedulus
He's a monster, isn't he?!!

Just to clear something up, would, everything being equal, an MRX be louder than an MMX? Overall, what would be the loudest Masters kit?

I would say the MMX would be louder. Since it's has thinner shells.

Black Mist With Black hardware :) Very nice choice.

Jonathan_M
05-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JSXtremist
I would say the MMX would be louder. Since it's has thinner shells.

Actually... the MRX would be louder. :D The MMX would be more *resonant* because of the vibration the thinner shells will allow. This takes away some of the sonic energy. The MRX would be *louder* since with the thicker shell they are more rigid - letting less of the sonic energy be transferred to the shells (as vibration).

From the Masters drumset section of the Pearl website:

"Masters Custom MRX...the most powerful Masters drums available. "

JSXtremist
05-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Jonathan_M

Actually... the MRX would be louder. :D The MMX would be more *resonant* because of the vibration the thinner shells will allow. This takes away some of the sonic energy. The MRX would be *louder* since with the thicker shell they are more rigid - letting less of the sonic energy be transferred to the shells (as vibration).

From the Masters drumset section of the Pearl website:

"Masters Custom MRX...the most powerful Masters drums available. "

Thanks for clearing that up ;)