PDA

View Full Version : Which mic rim clips?

Pilotdoc
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for which rim clips for mics are the best?

Thanks!

Tju85
12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I've heard good review about the OnStage series and Audix D-Vice.

Unavailable
12-03-2006, 08:14 PM
I don't like the On Stage clips, they place the mics too far over the drum into the swinging range of my sticks. They work though.

Butnutz
12-03-2006, 08:51 PM
without a doubt, the Shure A56 clamps are the best. no goosenecks that flex with vibrations, fully adjustable, excellent positioning options.
however, not cheap either.

weps
12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
It depends on the size & weight of the mic used.

Of the ones I've actually tried:

The Audix D-vice is good for the D series and lighter mics. Truely suck for an SM57 though, gooseneck doesn't bend much or stay bent over much (I tried so hard to like the one I bought).

The LP Claw (and the Gibraltar clone, JAW) are bulky but heavy duty & work with ANY mic and are super adjustable for larger mics.

The MIC-EZE butterfly clips (also sold by Audix as the D-flex). Lightweight, easy to use, but I worry about the brittle plastic.

Sennheiser plastic clamps (copies sold by Samson, I think) that come with the E604s, also sold seperately. I have some copies made by Radio Shack (discontinued). These are fairly unbreakable and most easy to use, extremely lightweight, but limited in mic positioning. Best with short mics, tends to stick into smaller drums to far. I sometimes still use these on floor toms but have to use softer clips to ram my SM57s up in.

Shure A56D. My favorite and what I use on my toms. Most expensive, hard to find for under $35 each, even used! Much shorter Z arm than a Claw, hexagonal arm so firm but limited, fixed positioning. Can handle heavy or large mics. heavy but far less bulky than the Claw. My favorite part is that the moving part on the rim clamp can be taken off & turned 90 degrees to make a clamp for round piping making it useful on drum rims AND stands. Anyways, find good price on a Shure SM57/B52 drum mic kit, say $300 and it's like paying $100 for 3 A56Ds, $200 for 3 SM57s (Normally $270 for 3 at $90 each) and a Beta 52 for $10! That's why even $400 for this kit is a bargain. You could always sell off the parts for a profit!

weps

slipkidxx
12-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I have the Gibraltar clips for my tom mics and for miking the bottom of my snare ( i attach it to the snare stand and point it up at an angle)