PDA

View Full Version : Heads for low tones!

Jscrofani
05-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Hi, I have tried may of combo;s since I got my kit. Evans G1's Res G2's Batter, Pinstrips Batter, Ambass Res. I can not get the toms to sound like a deep tone. they have alot of overing and a garbage can sound. It is probably me but I know they are good shells 6 ply maple but I have spent about $150. on heads. What I am looking for is a Carter Beauford, meets tool tone. I have heard SRX kits sound like this but I can not come up with a sound. Thanks for your help in advanced.

JSXtremist
05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
For a Darker tone Try some Remo Coated Emperor's. They should give you a darker, deeper tone.

DRUMBOO
05-22-2003, 12:36 PM
iŽd recommend powerstroke 3 on the batter side and ambassadors on the reso side

PearlMan
05-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Try Aquarian Performance 2 - they're cpecifically (sp?) designed to be tuned low and have almost no ring.

Jscrofani
05-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Hi thanks for all of your replies. I fixed it. I ended up with Evans Coated G2's Batter and Remo Clear Ambass RES. I took about two hours finding the sweet spot of the toms for the amount of ring and overtone. Then I applied MOON GEL on each tom and it stopped the overing. Now I have a good solid note that rings out but not too much. Thanks Agin,

JS

MrDrummer
05-25-2003, 11:31 PM
id say evans hydralics they make the drums sound deeper and warmer and over all just better

JSXtremist
05-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by MrDrummer
id say evans hydralics they make the drums sound deeper and warmer and over all just better

Evans Hydralics will totaly kill the tone of the drums. The toms will sound Totaly DEAD.

zorno
05-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by PearlMan
Try Aquarian Performance 2 - they're cpecifically (sp?) designed to be tuned low and have almost no ring.

I agree with this statement.

Steven Rose
05-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi Jscrofani

I know I'm a little late with this reply but I have a suggestion for your next set of heads.

It sounds like I was bothered by the same overtones you are. I fixed my problem with aquarian modern vintage heads and no moon gell, tape, or any other kind of muffling.

I used modern vintage mediums on the 16, 14, 12, and 10 inch toms and mv light on the 8 inch tom. The light weight lets the 8 sing a little more.

The aquarian modern vintage (without muffiling) yields the sustain of an unmuffled head and the depth of tone you hear when using dead ringers or similar muffling rings.

Hope you can give them a try some day. I really like the result.

Jscrofani
06-01-2003, 06:23 AM
Thanks Steve I acutually have been messing around with a couple if ideas. First I found the true pitch of the shell. then I added Remo clear Ambassadors on the Res. and put the Remo White Ambassadors with is between a clear and coated head and I am very pleased. Once I foun the actual pitch of the drum it has been pretty simple.

Thanks Again,
JS

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
06-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Also, to avoid that overinging, garbage can sound and for that low deep pitch you're looking for, don't tighten the resonant head up very tight or you'll be back at square one. I was having a similar problem with my toms and found that by keeping the reso heads tuned low in pitch with the batter head I was able to capture that deep low pitch that I was looking for. My toms are 10 12 14 16 and they actually sound more like 12, 13 16 18 due to the low, consistent tuning. still plenty of resonance and sustain.

doc_on_drums
06-25-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
Also, to avoid that overinging, garbage can sound and for that low deep pitch you're looking for, don't tighten the resonant head up very tight or you'll be back at square one. I was having a similar problem with my toms and found that by keeping the reso heads tuned low in pitch with the batter head I was able to capture that deep low pitch that I was looking for. My toms are 10 12 14 16 and they actually sound more like 12, 13 16 18 due to the low, consistent tuning. still plenty of resonance and sustain.
How is your sympathetic snare buzz? When I have tuned the reso lower than the batter I find the snare buzz is almost impossible to tame.

flammy
06-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JSXtremist

Evans Hydralics will totaly kill the tone of the drums. The toms will sound Totaly DEAD.

They can still save your *** on unmiked gigs. ;)

DrumSRX
06-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by flammy

They can still save your *** on unmiked gigs. ;)

Not quite. Hydros kill tone, resonance, and overtones. You need resonance and overtones when playing live or else your toms won't be heard past the guitar player.

RickC
07-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by DrumSRX

Not quite. Hydros kill tone, resonance, and overtones. You need resonance and overtones when playing live or else your toms won't be heard past the guitar player.

I totally agree with this quote. When you guys try to muffle all the ring out of your toms you're also muffling alot of the volume as well. If you're playing un-miked gigs, you want toms that ring when you hit them. They may sound a bit strang to you from behind the kit, but when the band starts up, the people in the audience will hear your tom fills. If you use muffled heads or other things, ie., moongel, tape, rings, the audience will only hear your snare drum and cymbals.

The other thing that happens alot is that people first starting out on drums, like for only 5 years, usually haven't a clue about how to tune their drums properly. They usually have crappy old pinstripes that have tape on them and are beat to heck - another word of advice - change your heads often and try out single-ply heads. Also, never tune your resonant head LOWER than the batter head, if you do, you'll never get "that" tom pitch-bend sound you're looking for. Remember, it's not how the drums sound from behind the kit, but how they sound from in front of the kit that matters.

My $0.03.

higgz
07-10-2003, 10:20 PM
i also use g2's on top and ambasadors on the res side . . . i love the way these drums sound . . it took some fiddling till i realized that they tune way lower that i expected . . you can practically tighten the lugs with your fingers.

anyway, once i realized i was cranking em down too tight, i found the sweet spot you described and now i have the sound i'd been looking for.

i love hearing other bands and thinking to myself "my kit sounds better!!!!!" :-)

kimboy
07-12-2003, 02:26 PM
remo emperor heads!